VGC Coolflare's hot summer Sun squad

Hi. VGC17 has been one of the most frustrating metagames for me to try, probably because I wasn't too used to bring 4 instead of 6 pokemon. After getting whopped by so many people on VGC, I finnaly made two teams I'm happy with, one I'll share here.

So enjoy your summer while it lasts with this hot team!

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 164 HP / 92 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

Lilligant (F) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 204 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- After You
- Protect

Garchomp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 28 HP / 172 Atk / 4 Def / 52 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Drifblim @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 236 Def / 12 SpA / 236 SpD / 12 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Tailwind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sunny Day

Now for the most important part: explaining the team

@ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA/ 12 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Torkal here is the main sun setter for this team. Charcoal is here to give Torkoal's Fire attacks a little more strength. The more power, the merrier. Although this team has no trick room setter, it has 0 IV's in speed so this way, It can win the weather war against 0 IV minus speed nature Gigalith and so it has a good fighting chance against trick room should the opposing team set it up. Eruption is Torkoal's B&B, dealing a lot of damage to even resisted hits like Alolan Marowak, provided he has enough health to do decent damage with it. Heat wave deals good damage and is my go to when Torkoal's health is too low. Solar Beam is chosen over hidden power ice because although Garchomps are running everywhere in VGC, it doesn't do consistent damage to it without eating an Earthquake or rock slide. Solar beam can dent the likes of many water types like Tapu Fini and Gastrodon, which can be very problematic to this team even when sun is in effect. Protect is a VGC staple, allowing Torkoal to perserve his health for that sweet, sweet eruption, and also create mixups for the opponent causing them to overthink.

@ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 164 HP / 92 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

Tapu Lele's ability is great, like all the other Alolan guardians. I chose Tapu Lele because priority from the likes of Arcanie's extreme speed and Prankster users hurt my team (and I personally hate priority used against me) and it has a strong special attack stat. I also went with it's more defense set because Tailwind from Drifblim allows it to outspeed even a scarf Chomp. Even so, without Tailwind, VGC17 is a slow metagame, slower than previous VGC formats so this put Lele at a pretty good speed tier. Psychium Z is there to Nuke any tanky treats like Porygon 2 and Defenseive Arcanine, something the majority of the team couldn't really handle. Psychic doesn't hit many things super effectively but it has a nice damage output, especially in Psychic terrain. Moonblast is for coverage against the ever so common dragon types and the not as common Dark types. Taunt can shut down Trick room users like Porygon 2 and Tailwind users like Mandibuzz. It can also stop set up sweepers like Snorlax and Curse Alolan Muk from being too powerful. And finnaly, Protect creates mixups for the opponent and can keep Lele alive.

@ Wide Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 204 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Def / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- After You
- Protect

The sun abuser of the team. The given ev spread takes a lot of speed from the standard smogon suggested set to where it can outspeed Scarf Chomp in Sun or Tailwind. I used Wide Lens over focus sash because it's given ev's give it a decent amount of bulk, being able to take about 2 super effective hits at max HP and Wide lens makes Leaf Storm hit 99% of the time, pretty much which guarantees it hitting and Increases Sleep powder's accuracy to about 82% which is more manageable than it's base 75. Leaf storm hits most Water and Ground types like Tapu Fini (provided it didn't use calm mind prior to using the attack) and Mudsdale for good damage. Sleep powder can incapacitate threats as long as Electric terrain or misty terrain isn't up, allowing for a quick switch to check the target in question. After you allows it's teammates slower than it to use it's move before the opponent attacks. This is especially useful for Torkoal since it's the only one on this team that get's nothing out of Tailwind. And protect creats mixups and keeps Lilligant alive to cause more havoc.

@ Assault Vest
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 28 HP / 172 Atk / 4 Def / 52 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Iron head
- Rock Slide

The infamous Garchomp and the fire check for the team. Although it seems weird not to have Dragon Claw on here, the coverage moves help the team out alot more and Lele and Pheromosa can check most dragon types in this meta. Assault vest was chosen over Scarf and Grondium Z is because Lele is a better Z crystal Donor than Garchomp in this team's case and Choice Scarf would be useless with the Tailwind support. Earthquake is Chomp's B&B for checking many fire types in this meta like Alolan Marowak and Arcanine, getting either a OHKO on them or dealing heavy damage. Fire Fang can usually 2 or 3HKO Celesteela in Sun and also deal alot of damage to many other Fire weak pokemon. Iron head hits more pokemon super effectively than Poison jab like Aerodactyl and also does it's job of dealing big damage to Fairy types although it misses out on the big damage poison jab gives to Tapu Bulu and Tapu Fini. The nice 30% flinch chance does compensate for this issue. And Rock slide deals with annoying flying type pokemon. Also having a 30% Flinch chance but for both opposing pokemon, it also nails Talonflame, a dangerous threat if it sets up Tailwind.

@ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice beam
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Pheromosa, the monster of OU (before it's ban) Focus sash allows it to stay alive a litter longer and slightly compensates for it's bad defensive stats. High Jump Kick deals alot of damage and can OHKO Porygon 2 and Snorlax but caution must be excercised with this move because if it misses, hits a protect, or attempts to hit a ghost type, the recoil damage from missing will break it's sash. Ice beam nails most Dragon types hard, OHKOing non Assault vest Chomps (Not sure if it does) but not doing too much to Goodra since they tend to have tanky sets. I know I sound like a broken record at this point but Protect creates mixups and keeps Pheromosa alive, especially usefull with keeping it's sash intact.

And last and definitely not least
@ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 236 Def / 12 SpA / 236 SpD / 12 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Tailwind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sunny Day

The Tailwind setter of the team. Psychic seed allows Drifblim to gain a SpD boost, making it tankier than it already is, and it triggers it's ability, doubling its speed. Shadow Ball makes sure that Drifblim isn't completely helpless when it it taunted and has a chance to get a special defensive drop off of what it hits. Tailwind supports the team to help the rest of the team bar Torkoal outspeed the opposing team. Will-O-Wisp can cripple many physical attackers like Gigalith and Garchomp, reducing their offensive presence for the rest of the match if your opponent has no way to cure it. And Sunny day not only provides an alternative way to set up sun, It can disrupt other weather teams that rely on their weather to gain a huge advantage like Aurora Veil Alolan Ninetails and any sand rush/slush rush pokemon.
I don't have any showdown replays but I do have some replays you can use on Sun and Moon here:
74NW WWWW WWW8 DCWU
4RTG WWWW WWW8 DCX7
UXAW WWWW WWW8 DCXC
2GHW WWWW WWW8 DCXJ

As for how I play the team:
You'll want to lead with Torkoal and Lilligant unless you see the following pokemon
(A) Tapu Koko (B) Tapu Fini (C) Opposing weather setters
Lilligant can put any threats to sleep no problem if these pokemon aren't present and you then can act by switching accordingly. This lead is also very effective at countering Trick room since Mental herb can't prevent Sleep powder.

If they are present Tapu Fini and Drifblim would be the better lead unless you see
(D) A taunt user faster than Lele (E) A mon that could carry Roar or Whirlwind (i.e Krookodole, Arcanine, or Mandibuzz) unless Lele can taunt them first.
Drifblim can get a Tailwind up if a Taunt user faster than Lele isn't present and can stay longer if a Roar/Whirlwind user that's faster than Lele isn't present. If they are slower than Lele, then just have Lele Taunt them. Remember, if you can't lead this way, you're better off not bringing Drifblim

If Talonflame is present without an Alolan guardian
Lead with Tapu Lele and Garchomp, this way, Talonflame's ability, gale wings, will work against it and Garchomp can score a OHKO on Talonflame.

If Talonflame is present with an Alolan guardian
Lead with Torkoal and Garchomp so if your opponent leads with a Guardian, you can switch out Torkoal for Tapu Lele, and have Garchomp kill Talonflame

Have any opinion on this team? Anything I missed? Tell me. I'll appreciate anything you have to say.

Last edited:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/help/bb-codes
I don't have the time quite yet for a full rate. Perhaps in the next few days I can check out those replays and playtest the team.
What does the investment in drifblim's spdef accomplish? Might I suggest a spread popularized by CybertronProductions.
EVs: 52 Def / 236 SpA / 220 Spe
Dropping sunny day for destiny bond and a much less bulky spread may be detrimental to the team's function, but I preferred my own Drifblim to have some offensive pressure well as utility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)