Core Laddering Challenge [BH, Inh, 1v1]

The Team (AAA)
first of all...i'll admit,i was very lazy with this team. There are a few obvious flaws, which i'll tell at the end. Build Time: 283 seconds
also: i created the pokes based on the playstyle i wanted to play,not creating the playstyle based on the pokes...
this team is an attempt to create stall with an offensive presence,which adrian agreed was the only way to stall in Inheritance. I decided to try it in "other metas" (hue)

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Defog

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Gyro Ball

Skarmory @ Shed Shell/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: null SpA
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Icy Wind

Snorlax @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Facade
- Protect
- Yawn
- Lick

OR

Sylveon @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Moonblast

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: null Spe
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Worry Seed
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunder
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Defog

In the current AAA meta, Chlorotran is still a huge threat to be dealt with. Therefore, instead of standard Delta Stream zapdos, I tried out PrimSea to counter Sun teams as well as granting Zapdos some offensive presence with Thunder. Aside from thunder, its set is pretty generic. Roost grants zapdos needed recovery from rocks, defog can help clear them away, and Volt Switch grants momentum for my team.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
- Knock Off

This set may look unusual, but...it works. Scizor's useful typing and general assumption of the meta that it has flash fire, along with its half-decent physical bulk, makes scizor a niche tank. Scizor has access to roost for recovery, and defog for hazard clearing helps,too. U-turn grants momentum for the team, and k-off drops the opponents item, which can be very annoying. Those attacks could also slowly chip away at the opponent, as Scizor still has an attack stat. The EV spread is to have bulk both physically and specially so it can take in a hit and then priority roost to recover.

Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Gyro Ball

Doublade, with excellent physical bulk and offensive presence, was the major poke used to force opponents to switch. Doublade is invested in maximum special bulk to take in both physical and special hits. it is designed to harass the opponent with its attacks and then switch out to be healed by regenerator. Shadow Claw is a necessary STAB attack, hitting ghosts switching in and then running for safety. Shadow Sneak is useful priority to finish off weakened pokes, as well as having a STAB bonus. I chose gyro ball over iron head because of Gyro Ball's immense power, reaching up to 150, or 187.5% of Iron Head's. Finally, Sacred Sword forces Snorlaxes,Chanseys, and Blisseys out.

Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Icy Wind

Skarmory, a renowned physical tank, gains priority roost and defog with Gale Wings, along with the standard GW Skarm's Brave Bird for offensive presence. Skarmory is my major physical tank and defogger. Roost grants longevity while defog clears hazards. Brave Bird has offensive presence only did 70% to motherlove's chesnaught

You choose. Both of them work, but Snorlax has more offensive presence while Sylveon gives momentum.

Snorlax @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Facade
- Protect
- Yawn
- Lick

This is not the standard curselax, but rather,my special tank. Blissey is superior in nearly every way (as well as my gimmicky poison heal eviolite chansey which relies on switching in to toxic or luring in a toxic), but Snorlax has the offensive power to constantly threaten the opponent's special sweeper and force it out. Snorlax is EV'd in maximum special bulk to stall out special sweepers and threaten their safety with 210 power (status+stab) facade. Protect is a necessity to put up the poison and for gaining an extra turn of healing. Yawn is a strange option, but I've found it excellent at forcing out pokes that threaten snorlax when switching in (they switch in a physical attacker to yawn and then generally switch out,i usually don't even bother using protect after yawn anymore). Meanwhile, Lick has a chance to paralyze the unsuspecting opponent.

Sylveon @ Toxic Orb
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Moonblast

Sylveon is the alternative tank, with better typing synergy with my team, healing support, momentum,and so cute the opponent auto loses. However, it lacks the amount of offensive presence that snorlax has. Sylveon is invested specially to take in special hits. Protect is to get the poison or to heal itself with Wish. Wish is used for recovery for itself or the rest of the team. Baton pass is excellent for momentum and can also usually ensure a safe switch for Wish. Moonblast is for offensive presence and lowering their Sp.Atk, as Sylveon still has a SpA stat which (can) hit hard with a 142.5 power (after stab) attack.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Worry Seed
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn is the alternative physical wall of the team which can also wall special attacks. Flash Fire is standard to prevent fire types from getting a free 4x damage and probable OHKO on ferro. Leftovers are used for recovery. It is EVd for maximum physical bulk. Knock off harrasses the opponent, while leech seed slowly chips away at the opponent while healing ferro (or whatever that is in). Stealth rock is useful setup to damage the opponent continuously as they switch, and worry seed counters poison healers. Worry seed should be saved until late game,when the opponent doesn't expect it, to completely demolish their poison healer (try to have them keep their poison healer in so the poison damage is much more significant).

motherlove's mixed Hydreigon with (i think) super luck. superpower+focus energy+draco meteor rekt. sylveon's the only one who can reliably tank it (if you're using sylveon)
jeran's sheer force nasty plot+tbolt+sludge wave+focus miss thundy. shreks everything in the team.

i haven't encountered many other major threats to the team yet. if you think of one,tell me n_n.
obvious flaw: doublade had AV

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Team (AAA)
first of all...i'll admit,i was very lazy with this team. There are a few obvious flaws, which i'll tell at the end. Build Time: 283 seconds
also: i created the pokes based on the playstyle i wanted to play,not creating the playstyle based on the pokes...
this team is an attempt to create stall with an offensive presence,which adrian agreed was the only way to stall in Inheritance. I decided to try it in "other metas" (hue)

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunder
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Defog

Scizor @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Doublade @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Gyro Ball

Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Icy Wind

Snorlax @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Facade
- Protect
- Yawn
- Lick

OR

Sylveon @ Toxic Orb
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Moonblast

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: null Spe
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Worry Seed
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunder
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Defog

In the current AAA meta, Chlorotran is still a huge threat to be dealt with. Therefore, instead of standard Delta Stream zapdos, I tried out PrimSea to counter Sun teams as well as granting Zapdos some offensive presence with Thunder. Aside from thunder, its set is pretty generic. Roost grants zapdos needed recovery from rocks, defog can help clear them away, and Volt Switch grants momentum for my team.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
- Knock Off

This set may look unusual, but...it works. Scizor's useful typing and general assumption of the meta that it has flash fire, along with its half-decent physical bulk, makes scizor a niche tank. Scizor has access to roost for recovery, and defog for hazard clearing helps,too. U-turn grants momentum for the team, and k-off drops the opponents item, which can be very annoying. Those attacks could also slowly chip away at the opponent, as Scizor still has an attack stat. The EV spread is to have bulk both physically and specially so it can take in a hit and then priority roost to recover.

Doublade @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Gyro Ball

Doublade, with excellent physical bulk and offensive presence, was the major poke used to force opponents to switch. Doublade is invested in maximum special bulk to take in both physical and special hits. it is designed to harass the opponent with its attacks and then switch out to be healed by regenerator. Shadow Claw is a necessary STAB attack, hitting ghosts switching in and then running for safety. Shadow Sneak is useful priority to finish off weakened pokes, as well as having a STAB bonus. I chose gyro ball over iron head because of Gyro Ball's immense power, reaching up to 150, or 187.5% of Iron Head's. Finally, Sacred Sword forces Snorlaxes,Chanseys, and Blisseys out.

Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Icy Wind

Skarmory, a renowned physical tank, gains priority roost and defog with Gale Wings, along with the standard GW Skarm's Brave Bird for offensive presence. Skarmory is my major physical tank and defogger. Roost grants longevity while defog clears hazards. Brave Bird has offensive presence only did 70% to motherlove's chesnaught

You choose. Both of them work, but Snorlax has more offensive presence while Sylveon gives momentum.

Snorlax @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Facade
- Protect
- Yawn
- Lick

This is not the standard curselax, but rather,my special tank. Blissey is superior in nearly every way (as well as my gimmicky poison heal eviolite chansey which relies on switching in to toxic or luring in a toxic), but Snorlax has the offensive power to constantly threaten the opponent's special sweeper and force it out. Snorlax is EV'd in maximum special bulk to stall out special sweepers and threaten their safety with 210 power (status+stab) facade. Protect is a necessity to put up the poison and for gaining an extra turn of healing. Yawn is a strange option, but I've found it excellent at forcing out pokes that threaten snorlax when switching in (they switch in a physical attacker to yawn and then generally switch out,i usually don't even bother using protect after yawn anymore). Meanwhile, Lick has a chance to paralyze the unsuspecting opponent.

Sylveon @ Toxic Orb
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Moonblast

Sylveon is the alternative tank, with better typing synergy with my team, healing support, momentum,and so cute the opponent auto loses. However, it lacks the amount of offensive presence that snorlax has. Sylveon is invested specially to take in special hits. Protect is to get the poison or to heal itself with Wish. Wish is used for recovery for itself or the rest of the team. Baton pass is excellent for momentum and can also usually ensure a safe switch for Wish. Moonblast is for offensive presence and lowering their Sp.Atk, as Sylveon still has a SpA stat which (can) hit hard with a 142.5 power (after stab) attack.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Worry Seed
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn is the alternative physical wall of the team which can also wall special attacks. Flash Fire is standard to prevent fire types from getting a free 4x damage and probable OHKO on ferro. Leftovers are used for recovery. It is EVd for maximum physical bulk. Knock off harrasses the opponent, while leech seed slowly chips away at the opponent while healing ferro (or whatever that is in). Stealth rock is useful setup to damage the opponent continuously as they switch, and worry seed counters poison healers. Worry seed should be saved until late game,when the opponent doesn't expect it, to completely demolish their poison healer (try to have them keep their poison healer in so the poison damage is much more significant).

motherlove's mixed Hydreigon with (i think) super luck. superpower+focus energy+draco meteor rekt. sylveon's the only one who can reliably tank it (if you're using sylveon)
jeran's sheer force nasty plot+tbolt+sludge wave+focus miss thundy. shreks everything in the team.

i haven't encountered many other major threats to the team yet. if you think of one,tell me n_n.[/hide]
Quick thing, but why does Doublade run Assault Vest over Eviolite. Eviolite gives the same bulk specially, but also increases its physical bulk.

Quick thing, but why does Doublade run Assault Vest over Eviolite. Eviolite gives the same bulk specially, but also increases its physical bulk.
thing is,i'm too used to just sticking AV on regen =\
"i was very lazy with this team. There are a few obvious flaws" "Build Time: 283 seconds"
i have added it to flaws, and its edited so anyone who wants to use it has eviolite on it.
AV has more style

Silver in STABMons

Edit:

Gold in STABMons

Edit 2:

After like 8 losses in a row, Silver in Inverse. Dialga's kinda boring.

Edit 3:

Gold in inverse! I change my opinion about Dialga, it's actually fun.

Won't be doing TS though. I dislike it <.<

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
New Core Laddering Challenges coming up. First let me congratulate Chopin Alkaninoff for winning Inverse and DarkeKnight for winning STABmons. Sadly there were no Tier Shift submissions this time. Since Inverse was decently successful, and I'm adding OMotM, Balanced Hackmons will be postponed till next time. Meanwhile enjoy the AAA, Linked and PU challenges that'll come up soon!

PU (1200/1300/1400/1500)
+

Almost Any Ability (1100/1250/1400/1550)
+

Linked (1150/1250/1350/1450)
+

Last edited:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Registering AAA & PU as xJownage Loves You

Also might want to let the PU forum know that this is going on, many will likely take interest.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is still going over PUPL and OMPL :o I'll do aaa and pu as friggin girafarig if I have time

In as Hear the Noize for Linked

Edit #1:

Got bronze rank

Edit #2:

Got silver rank

Edit #3:

Got gold rank

Final Edit:

Sadly I was unable to rise anymore on the ladder but I am content with this gold achievement.

Last edited:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways

AAA. Real peak was 1342, but being 1 battle away from gold, i didn't save replay and then lost to tons of hax. Oh well, sucks to be me.

Silver in PU. and yeah, I was getting cteamed on the AAA ladder for no reason and it was frustrating af.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)