SM OU Crawdaunt > Greninja (Bulky Offense)

Introduction

How's it going? I'm back with another RMT since 3 months ago with the TECH Ice Beam Chansey. I've learned that Competitive Pokemon is a joke so I'm exploring low-tier options just for fun. Challenging yourself is the most effective way to improve, so today I bring to the table, Crawdaunt the King.

Teambuilding Process

Why use broken Greninja when you can go with the one true wallbreaker, Crawdaunt?

Dragon-Fairy-Steel core, covers revenge killing, hazard control and pivoting.

Tangrowth so I don't lose to Zygarde. Celesteela so I don't lose to Kingra/Greninja. Also helps wear down the opposition.

The Team

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Crunch
Banded Crawdaunt has no safe switch-ins. I chose Crawdaunt over something like Sharpedo because I have a thing for strong wallbreakers. Dark + Water STAB is very threatening in the current meta, as Tapu Fini is the only thing that's remotely safe from Adaptability-boosted hits, but is crippled if Leftovers are gone. Crunch is very spammable after everything is knocked off, especially against stall since it pressures Skarm with Defense drops. Aqua Jet is for a strong priority, picking off weakened Lando, Mawile and Koko. Jolly is used over Adamant because outspeeding defensive Lando and Modest Magnezone is nice.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
Scarf Lele needs no introduction. An excellent revenge killer with few switchins and a decent Speed tier. Focus Miss and Thunderbolt hits Heatran and Celesteela respectively on the switch, but the latter takes nothing anyway so doubling into Crawdaunt is actually the correct play. Psychic and Moonblast heavily dent offensive teams so it synergizes well with Crawdaunt.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 88 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
Tank Chomp provides Stealth Rock and a soft Fire-resist. Earthquake for STAB, Dragon Tail for shuffling and Toxic for checks like Mandibuzz, Lando and Tangrowth. Fire Blast is a bad move in my opinion because Sp.Def Skarm doesn't care and it's unreliable. 12 Speed EVs creep over Zapdos with the rest put into HP, Defense and a little bit into Sp.Def to take on Magnezone and Tran better while avoiding a 2HKO from Alolan-Marowak's Shadow Bone.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 56 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
Originally, Mawile was my Mega of choice. But then I realized I lose to Spike stacking so I switched it out for pivoting Scizor. Scizor acts as my hazard control, defensive pivot and late-game priority. The given EVs live HP Fire from unboosted Lele after rocks while maximizing Defense for Bulu.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
Literally here so I don't lose to Zygarde. Tangrowth also checks Tapu Koko and Bulu if I can waste their Z-moves, and Magnezone. Knock Off is for ultility, HP Ice hits Zygarde and Earthquake hits Heatran on the switch. Max Sp.Def Calm nature maximizes the boost of Assault Vest, making Tangrowth a reliable defensive pivot with Regenerator.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
Celesteela checks pretty much any Special attacker not named Magnezone and Tapu Koko. It acts as a Ground-immunity and rain check. Leech Seed wears down switchins along with the occasional Heavy Slam or Flamethrower. Its main job is soften the opponent up to the point Crawdaunt or Tapu Lele can clean up.

Heatran beats the defensive core of Tangrowth + Celesteela as well as checking Lele and Scizor. Crawdaunt and Garchomp need to be played aggresively to eliminate it or keep it out at all times.

Magnezone traps Celesteela and Scizor if they're not doubled out. Wearing it down with rocks and Leech Seed for Chomp is the way to go depending on the opponent's team comp. Crawdaunt can also beat it after some chip since Timid Zone is not a common thing anymore.

Both Zards are incredibly difficult to deal with if Stealth Rock is not up. Zard-Y can be beaten with the combination of Tapu Lele + Chomp + Crawdaunt. Zard-X needs to be chipped by Chomp or recoil so Crawdaunt can revenge kill.

Mega Heracross easily breaks this team if either Lele or Celesteela goes down. It can be chipped by Chomp and Celesteela can scare it out with full HP.

Electric-types with Fire+Ice coverage are very difficult to switch into and take out. Wearing them down with Leech Seed and Stealth Rock is the best way to deal with them, requiring predictions along the way to conserve HP on Celesteela.

Conclusion

While this team is nowhere near serious, it's still successful if played correctly. Wearing the opponent down, forcing switches is the way to go with this team. It forces you to predict and double switch a lot, so I feel like it's a good team to use if you're learning to play on another level. Also Crawdaunt has 6-0ed stall so this team has won my heart. C:
Replays
VS Stall: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-588843415
VS Rain:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-589746512
VS Mega-Manectric BO: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-590572654
VS Scarf Tran + Pinsir BO: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-592515963
VS BLUNDER w/ Nihilego over Scizor (not me playing): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593761257

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Crunch

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 88 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 56 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Last edited:
Excellent team,as you mentioned the biggest issue I see would be HP Ice Charizard-Y. It kills Tank-Chomp after a Fblast, and even if it doesn't have HP Ice the amount of switch ins you have are very limited.

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Garchomp in Sun: 170-201 (40.5 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Garchomp: 332-392 (79.2 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Neither Lele or Crawdaunt can revenge kill unless you can get around 30% off or more.

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-Y in Psychic Terrain: 198-234 (66.6 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-Y: 176-208 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-Y in Sun: 152-180 (51.1 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I would consider a more SpDef oriented Chomp set, perhaps carrying Leftovers for more staying power. I'll get back to you with a set if you are open to that idea.

Excellent team,as you mentioned the biggest issue I see would be HP Ice Charizard-Y. It kills Tank-Chomp after a Fblast, and even if it doesn't have HP Ice the amount of switch ins you have are very limited.

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Garchomp in Sun: 170-201 (40.5 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Garchomp: 332-392 (79.2 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Neither Lele or Crawdaunt can revenge kill unless you can get around 30% off or more.

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-Y in Psychic Terrain: 198-234 (66.6 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-Y: 176-208 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-Y in Sun: 152-180 (51.1 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I would consider a more SpDef oriented Chomp set, perhaps carrying Leftovers for more staying power. I'll get back to you with a set if you are open to that idea.
Sp.Def Chomp sounds pretty good on paper, as it "switches more reliably into" things like Tran and Zard-Y, if I don't just lead with it. Basically I'm choosing my games since it's either Special Fire-types or chipping physical attackers, since the team is very matchup-dependent. Changing Garchomp's spread changes it's role from a tank to a suicide lead, seeing as even with Sp.Def it still gets 2HKO by any HP Ice. It'd be helpful if you can provide the appropriate spread so I can test it out. And thanks btw :]

Sp.Def Chomp sounds pretty good on paper, as it "switches more reliably into" things like Tran and Zard-Y, if I don't just lead with it. Basically I'm choosing my games since it's either Special Fire-types or chipping physical attackers, since the team is very matchup-dependent. Changing Garchomp's spread changes it's role from a tank to a suicide lead, seeing as even with Sp.Def it still gets 2HKO by any HP Ice. It'd be helpful if you can provide the appropriate spread so I can test it out. And thanks btw :]
No problem!

A SpDef Druddigon set (Has Stealth Rocks, Rough Skin chip, Dragon Tail, lacks the Ground Typing so 3HKO from HP Ice) sounds interesting on paper as a better answer to Zard-Y.

The trade-off is it has much less bulk than Chomp, but is more reliable in answering Zard-Y. It really depends if Garchomps role (minus STAB EQ spam) can be covered by other mons on the team.

I've been playing with this team just to learn the meta more, but I've actually had some success with it. The one issue I've had with it is that Lele's psychic terrain kills priority, which Crawdaunt and Scizor both tend to rely on rather heavily, so it can be hard to switch them in after Lele depending on the situation.

No problem!

A SpDef Druddigon set (Has Stealth Rocks, Rough Skin chip, Dragon Tail, lacks the Ground Typing so 3HKO from HP Ice) sounds interesting on paper as a better answer to Zard-Y.

The trade-off is it has much less bulk than Chomp, but is more reliable in answering Zard-Y. It really depends if Garchomps role (minus STAB EQ spam) can be covered by other mons on the team.
I tested Sp.Def Druddigon and it worked pretty well versus Fire matchups. The one issue is losing an Electric-immunity so Magearna be bouncing all over this joint lol. I'll just have 2 different versions of the team so I can use both Dragons whenver I like. Thanks for the suggestion :]

I've been playing with this team just to learn the meta more, but I've actually had some success with it. The one issue I've had with it is that Lele's psychic terrain kills priority, which Crawdaunt and Scizor both tend to rely on rather heavily, so it can be hard to switch them in after Lele depending on the situation.
Maybe cut down on using priority on Crawdaunt as it's a wallbreaker that has no switchins. Unless the situation desperately calls for Aqua Jet, Knock Off or Crabhammer is much better. The order and importance of each mon against a certain matchup is different so plan this out beforehand. But more power to you on how you choose to use the team, since it can be played both offensively and defensively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)