Resource Creative and Underrated Sets

Well, I am back, and ready to kick some tail.

Salazzle @ Sceptilite
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot

A surprising set that can catch people off guard wonderfully. Sceptilite completely changes its set of weaknesses to something completely different. The beautiful thing about this is how well it deals with both Thundurus and Xurkitree blind... The former actually can't hit you without HP Ice well at all, and the latter needs to be a madman to click Dazzling Gleam on a Salazzle. In return, they both get OHKOed. Nasty Plot's there in case you get a moment to really go crazy. +2 attacks will hurt most bulky walls rather well. Dragon STAB out of nowhere also helps. Also surprises Golisopod very well, which is a big boon. It dies to any Extreme Speed, though, so be careful using this...

Sadly, no replays for this right now. Take me at my word that this once KOed a Blissey with Poison hax. The opponent also misplayed, to be fair.

And another sweet Poison type sweeper...

Scolipede @ Lucarionite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake/Rock Slide

Scolipede does not really get a ton of time in the limelight these days. It has trouble with Flying types that resist Poison, but besides that, it can hurt pretty much everything at least a little. It easily has enough bulk to take a hit, especially a physical one (that isn't Pinsirite -ate speed), and can make a sweep when the coast is clear. After a Speed Boost, not much is going to be faster than Scolipede.

Thankfully, I did grab a replay for Scolipede.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7mixandmegasuspecttest-585754083

Ok, time for special Groudon!

(BH)

Groudon-Primal @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blue Flare
- Eruption
- Revelation Dance
- Trick

Nothing in the meta double resists fire: this makes Tinted Lens guaranteed neutral hits. While the physical compartment has V-create (on an higher attacking stat too), Fur Coat Giratina (and some but not many other) can tank it, even when banded. Going special bypasses conventional checks Pdon has.
Blue Flare will break Giratina on the switch.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Groudon-Primal Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina: 246-290 (48.8 - 57.5%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO
Zygod too.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Groudon-Primal Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 318-374 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Of course, you can instead click Eruption to remove that shaky 85% accuracy, and outdamaging Blue Flare. SR damage is the exact limit where Eruption has the same power than Blue Flare, so you can safely use that even after switching on SR if needed. It should be well noted that Blue Flare has 30% chances of burning, and in some occasions it may be better than Eruption (like on a Shedinja or a Focus Sash user). Revelation Dance may bypass FF, surprises by killing Normalize Gengar, and it will OHKO opposing Groudons.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Groudon-Primal Revelation Dance vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Groudon-Primal: 416-492 (102.9 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
Trick is Switcheroo. You are mostly better just keeping the specs, but you actually have neutral coverage on everything with the first move alone so it's hard to justify another attacking move since it is going to break your imposterproofness if you have any.

So, what can reliably switch on you?
AV Kyogre, sometimes.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Groudon-Primal Revelation Dance vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Kyogre-Primal: 102-121 (25.2 - 29.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
BUT
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Groudon-Primal Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Kyogre-Primal: 168-198 (41.5 - 49%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Your imposter, sometimes.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Groudon-Primal Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Groudon-Primal: 254-300 (35.8 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
BUT
252+ SpA Choice Specs Groudon-Primal Revelation Dance vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Groudon-Primal: 306-360 (43.2 - 50.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

On a side note, you can make your Imposter frailer by minimizing your spdef. If you also manage to remove the Eviolite, you are assured the OHKO with Revelation Dance. If you add SR damage, even Eruption will instantly break the imposter. Blue Flare keeps a nice chance of 37,5% of OHKO after SR.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Groudon-Primal Revelation Dance vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Groudon-Primal: 764-902 (108.5 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Groudon-Primal Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Groudon-Primal: 636-750 (90.3 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Groudon-Primal Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Groudon-Primal: 552-650 (78.4 - 92.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Team mates:
Hazard control and speed control. Groudon is required to run Modest and Choice Specs, otherwise it doesn't have the OOMPH factor. Slow their team with paralysis and Sticky Web. Wish Support is appreciated too; it allows you to fire again Eruptions. If you add sun support, then there are no switch in unless they are immune to Fire (Everything is, worst case scenario, 2HKOed).

How to imposterproof:
A great example is regenvest Kyogre, that can handle Groudon since it lacks specs. You have to force it out with Kyogre, so be ready to do that. PH kyogre may do that too, but the imposter must be weakened at least with SR damage because Eruption hurts a lot. (Eruption 3HKOes, Blue Flare 4HKOes). You have to be poisoned beforehand, if Groudon burns PH Kyogre it is screwed. Otherwise you can setup QD, Leech Seed the imposter (Blue Flare will start 8HKOing with Leech Seed) or just Scald it for half of its health.
In practice, specially bulky PH healers and regenvester can do this, as long as they are not weak to Fire/Ground coverage.
Or, you may run something immune to both Ground and Fire, like Celesteela with Flash Fire or Primordial Sea. But that is kinda centralizing.

Last edited:
For BH, wasn't originally going to post it here, but it was suggested I do so anyway.

Giratina @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Recover
- Defog
- Spectral Thief / Core Enforcer
- Baton Pass

Misty Surge is a really underrated ability. It gives your team status protection, people (including myself and I'm running it) derp up and forget it does things since its so rare and end up trying to status into it, it reduces damage from Dragon-type (hello near omnipresent Core Enforcer), stops opposing Status orbs from activating, and, maybe most importantly, it jacks with opposing Psychic/Electric Surge Pokemon/teams. ...and I suppose Grassy, but who runs that? Sure, it grants these benefits to your opponent, but its not hard to team build around it so they get little to no benefit from it, whereas they don't get to do such a thing to you.

On this particular set, Defog can be swapped if you have a Defogger elsewhere and you can use your Recover move of choice. Max speed IVs/EVs lets it steal a Ytwo's and Deo-A's Shell Smash and then outspeed and KO with a follow-up Spectral Thief, min speed they still outspeed even at +2. Though min speed is viable if the pivoting is more desirable, which is what I did vs Silver Lucario in the Ultimate League, or if you're running Core Enforcer to deal with Pokemon like PH Gigas with this set. Baton Pass can be swapped for a different pivot move, especially if running Core Enforcer, if desired.

This set can switch into predicted status moves with impunity, even versus Mold Breaker. Misty Surge halves Core Enforcer damage, which means Giratina shrugs them off like a champ, though Rayquaza and Kyurem-W still hurt. Giratina also doesn't need to worry about out-slowing Core Enforcer to save its ability since its a fire and forget ability, though be mindful that your teammates might care if you pivot faster. Its also handy if you need to steal a Sceptile's Shell Smash, as its Clanging Scales or Draco Meteor won't hurt so badly anymore.

Replays: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-585854059 (vs Silver Lucario in BH Ultimate League)
...I'll probably be using the team during the suspect, so I'll try to grab a couple more replays.

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
First time posting here, do you mind if I try this? Here is Prankster Ampharos for BH.

Can I Try That? (Ampharos-Mega) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Destiny Bond
- Core Enforcer
- Copycat
- Substitute

In my time playing BH, Ampharos is a rare sight and is usually low ladder running TG triage or something else cool. But this guy usually manages to make a spot on my team due to his versatility with prankster and his powerful STAB core enforcer. He has the potential to sweep smash sash teams, sacrifice himself to take out threats, and take advantage of opponent's moves as well. His extremely low speed in this tier almost guarantees that his core enforcer will move second.

Depending on the opposing team, this guy can be useful as a lead. When up against Deoxys-S or other passive mons, start off with a sub to avoid status and then you can copycat back the spore or rocks they sent or you can go for the kill and use core enforcer + copycat. Or if you predict a smash sasher that isn’t dark, go straight for the core enforcer to get rid of dazzling and then copycat for the KO.

This can be a valuable team member if used correctly. Some threats that Ampharos is able to pretty easily handle or at least force out include but are not limited to: Aerilate or Triage M-Ray, Normalize Gengar, most smash sash users, non-fairy PH users, and most Giratinas and Zygardes. It can also take out wall breakers like M-Diancie, Kyurem-W, MMY and MMX, or M-Ray with destiny bond if appropriate at the time.

Unless you anticipate an attack that will KO and plan on dbonding, do not stay in on offensive fairies. Fairies are a glaring weakness to this set so be prepared to have other means to deal with them. This Ampharos also comes up short against dark and steel types like Gyarados, Registeel, and others, so be prepared to suppress their ability and get out or just get out. Although it can be useful to stay in on Registeel or similar mons as you can steal their recovery moves if you are low on health. Also, psychic terrain inhibits the ability to attack with copycat, so Ampharos is limited while this terrain is active but not useless either, as –ate users become less of a threat as well.

Imposter is not generally an issue, as usually you should have your sub out before they get to you. You can stick around for the speed tie or d bond them out, or just switch to a fairy or steel type. That being said, any version of M-Audino is a nice teammate to have with Ampharos as he cannot do anything to it. So if an imposter switches in, bring in Audino and slow u-turn out on their switch.

In summary, this set boasts one of the slowest and most powerful core enforcers in the meta and can be effective at eliminating many common offensive and defensive threats. It should not stay in on fairies and most –ate users and cannot do much against dark or steel types. Psychic terrain hinders this set but does not completely cripple it either.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-530497687 - an old replay from the IO days, but shows some utility.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
I agree the set is good and has unique niche, but I personally do not think it is creative enough because unfortunately, Prankster + Copycat is seen a lot. But I would still say it is a good set. :thumbsup:

Also, you might not want to be a Fairy bait so how about Thunderbolt instead of Destiny Bond? I mean, Destiny Bond lets Ampharos be a last-resort way to stop sweepers out of control but it often leaves you passive in other situations.

Also this is my set that I post here since you were talking about Prankster + CopyCat...
Garchomp-Mega @ Safety Goggles / Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Spore / Core Enforcer
- Thousand Arrows
- Copycat
- Substitute

I know Ampharos is better user of Core Enforcer thanks to its speed, but I personally favor Garchomp which has STAB Thousand Arrows which is way more spammable.

Anyways, thanks for sharing set and welcome to Smogon. Have seen you couple times in suspect ladder and glad you are here.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
focus on the sets not the music video ok
ok for this set dump i'm gonna do something different. before i just showed off the sets i'm really proud of but this time i'm gonna start off with some more... interesting things so you guys can laugh at them or maybe find success in them that i haven't.

first off we have whatever this monstrosity is:

use your noodle (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Aerilate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Last Resort

the first mon people will switch into mega ray is their steel. sd on the switch, kill the steel with pblades, then start collecting those elo. did i mention it's semi imposter proof too? ignore the fur coat haters and the faster revenge killers, this set is all you need.

on a more serious note, we have a bunch of slow stakeout users here. i was really interested in the concept of a slow stakeout mon because it sounded cool to underspeed defensive pivots while threatening whatever switched in. however, in practice the sets relied heavily on the passivity of the pivot in question. a weakness to moves like core enforcer meant that the pivot could just stay in and win the 1v1. additionally, gf is dumb so there aren't really any extremely powerful/bulky mons below base 50 (the threshold i used). why is pdon so fast ugghhh

wishiwasasexhaver (Wishiwashi-School) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Stakeout
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Core Enforcer
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed / Strength Sap

this is probably the closest wishiwashi school will come to being viable in bh (except in the case of a primal kyogre ban). the set is pretty straightforward, the biggest problem is wishiwashi's lack of initial power. it fails to break past opponents like giratina and zyg sadly (unless they switch in on core) which really sucks. it's also not quite as bulky as it looks. this mon has let me down a lot.

Trumpsnow (Abomasnow-Mega) @ Weakness Policy / Red Card
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- V-Create
- Recycle / Leech Seed / Strength Sap

this mon uses its nice offensive typing to put in work by forcing out dragons and ogre in some battles and going from there. vcreate kills most steels on the switch and threatens imposter. weakness policy gives it an extra punch if something u-turns on it which is cool but red card is probably better. recovery is recovery. the problem is that if you happen to be in against like sr mega audino there's not much you can do. maybe pair with a magic bounce user?

GRAND DAD (Drampa) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Boomburst
- Core Enforcer
- Blue Flare
- Leech Seed

smogon genie remarked that mega pidgeot has the highest special attack of any normal type besides drampa which was the moment i knew i had to try this thing out. specs boomburst is cool, stab core for giratina is cool, core weakness is not cool unfortunately which really holds this thing back.

another slow stakeout user i have been pondering is alolan marowak with something like vcreate/spectral thief/ice hammer but unfortunately i haven't had the chance to try it out yet. if it can 2hko fur coat giratina on the switch or something then i might want to try it out.

all right next up:

asdfjk (Banette-Mega) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Teravolt
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Force
- Sunsteel Strike
- Close Combat
- Leech Seed

one of the best qualities of a physical attacker in bh is the ability to reliably deal with fur coat giratina. this set does not reliably deal with it, but it can potentially lure it in for a teammate. sunsteel and close combat are for ghost switchins, leech seed is for recovery. leech is actually really cool on this set because due to shadow force's two turn nature you can just click leech seed against imposter. either way the set is by no means imposter proof in itself.

don't risk ghostium early, make sure you reveal that shadow force is your only stab and try to give the giratina "things to do" (set up rocks, recover, defog) so they can be like "oh i can just do that when banette comes in".

252+ Atk Banette-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Registeel: 204-240 (56 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Banette-Mega Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Audino-Mega: 192-228 (46.8 - 55.6%) -- 75.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Banette-Mega Never-Ending Nightmare (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 518-612 (102.7 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmonssuspecttest-597116093

this set is very new (which still doesn't excuse the dumb team i know) so i'm not sure how good it is. try it if you want ig

ok now for the really good stuff

SKYRIM (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Ice Hammer
- V-Create
- Bolt Strike
- First Impression / Aqua Jet / Leech Seed / Strength Sap

as i was saying before physical breakers are really nice when they can break fur coat giratina. this is because if they can't, there's not much of a reason to use them over cb lens pdon lol. anyway with an adamant nature, a choice band, and tough claws, kyu-b is able to accomplish this feat of strength:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Kyurem-Black Ice Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Giratina: 272-324 (53.9 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

but you thought the fun ended there? oh no

ice/fire/electric is really good coverage especially when none of your moves effectively have less than 130 bp. kyub is able to blow through many prominent walls:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Kyurem-Black V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aggron-Mega: 396-466 (115.1 - 135.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Kyurem-Black Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyogre-Primal: 572-674 (141.5 - 166.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Kyurem-Black V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino-Mega: 314-370 (76.5 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

the last moveslot is kinda weird. you can choose to give kyub some recovery like everything else on this post so far, or you can sacrifice a great defensive matchup for some support against offense. banded first impression is silly but it kills those dumb contrary users. yes, you know the ones. aqua jet can be used if you fear drummer pdon. drum + stealth rock means that it dies:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Kyurem-Black Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Groudon-Primal: 260-308 (64.3 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-597006151
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-597012706

last but certainly not least:

CARBINK IS BETTER (Diancie-Mega) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Endeavor
- Extreme Speed
- Boomburst
- Flare Blitz

got endeavor from kris's rng and i figured it might be good on stuff with low base hp. the inferior version of carbink came to mind and i decided to try it out. it works pretty well. minimum hp might look memey but it is necessary to kill stuff like registeel.

for the below calcs keep in mind that at 100% diancie has 210 hp

252 Atk Diancie-Mega Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Solgaleo: 230-272 (48.1 - 56.9%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Diancie-Mega Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Registeel: 180-214 (49.4 - 58.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

if need be, you can intentionally switch diancie into u-turns and other things (or use flare blitz) to wear it down against opponents such as defensive pdon and prankster steels.

replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-581133529
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-581143151
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-581136308
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-581149803

as you can see from rumors' above replay this thing didn't do so well in the bh ultimate league so maybe it's the least after all lol. it definitely takes some prediction to use but it's a bit more forgiving than stuff like xurkitree (although it's not as powerful ofc).

shoutouts to Phat Albert and Smogon Genie for being the best teammates ever. you guys are the og s. also shoutouts to Kris for being cool, endeavor diancie would not be a thing without the classic hackmons set generator. the rest of you guys are really cool too thanks for being nice o/ later

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
BH

Imagine you have to build a team. What comes to your mind first? Special attacker to bypass Fur Coat walls, physical attacker to eliminate AV users, and a wall to imposterproof them... I always like to minimize the offense core + imposterproofing wall. I was not going to take out this trio because I didn't have replay, but I am going to share this whatsoever.

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Blue Flare
- Tail Glow

Blaziken-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- V-create
- Sunsteel Strike / Filler that doesn't hurt Sableye too much
- Switcheroo

Sableye-Mega @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Relaxed Nature
- Parting Shot
- Spectral Thief
- Knock Off / Nuzzle / Whatever support move
- Milk Drink

This set is based on what SL42 posted earlier about his Sheer Force MMY set. What makes my MMY set special is:
most people with sheer force mmy don't give it any boosting moves because otherwise it could break through their levitate steel or whatever, which is wise but prevents mewtwo from beating certain opponents
This was always a disappointing trait of MMY when it came to Sheer Force sets. It always had to rely on prediction to 2HKO Solgaleo and others and always had to leave when Imposter came out who doesnt hate Imposter anyway. Slapping Tail Glow turns MMY into a monster that is capable of doing this:

+3 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina: 534-629 (105.9 - 124.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde-Complete: 628-738 (98.7 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO (Guaranteed OHKO on +Def variants)
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Kyogre-Primal: 473-559 (117 - 138.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Mewtwo-Mega-Y Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Solgaleo: 840-988 (175.7 - 206.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Mewtwo-Mega-Y Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 764-899 (108.6 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Mewtwo-Mega-Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Yveltal: 598-704 (131.1 - 154.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (OHKOed by +3 Fire Blast as well)
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Mewtwo-Mega-Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 322-382 (88.4 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Now the problem was to imposterproof this MMY, and Sableye with Flash Fire turned out to take 0 damage from MMY and more importantly, never made me worried about recovering when Gengarite user was present in the other team. I mean, it is Ghost-type so it can't be trapped. Also, it has blinding speed tier of 20 that outspeeds Slowpoke, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Wooper, Pineco, Silcoon, Cascoon, Roggenrola, Foongus, Morelull, Sandygast, Trapinch, Bonsly, Ferroseed, Shuckle, Munchlax, and Pyukumuku. Sableye will always pivot out slower than anything except against aforementioned threats. (On a serious note, terrible Speed lets it pivot nicely and help its team keep momentum). Besides, it could switch into opposing MMY in emergency.

What I wanted next is finding a physical attacker that is also completely shut down by my own Flash Fire Sableye, and Blaziken was the perfect fit. Tinted Lens seemed to be the best option for me because:

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Blaziken-Mega V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Rayquaza-Mega: 406-478 (98 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Blaziken-Mega V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 326-384 (64.6 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Blaziken-Mega V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde-Complete: 324-382 (50.9 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Blaziken-Mega V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal: 434-512 (107.4 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Blaziken-Mega V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Kyogre-Primal: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Blaziken-Mega V-create vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Groudon-Primal: 288-342 (71.4 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Guaranteed OHKO against Desolate Land variants)

While Sableye takes very small damage from Imposter's Sunsteel Strike:

252 Atk Blaziken-Mega Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 79-93 (25.9 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

This makes Stakeout possible option, but I don't think I can keep Sableye healthy enough at all times in the world where BH is harsh and critical hits happen.

So I wanted to share the trio before Gengarite gets (hopefully) banned and Sableye lose its viability as "Imposterproofer that has some user other than just imporsterproofing". Thanks for reading

Last edited:
oh noes (Arceus-Ghost) @ Leftovers
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Anchor Shot
- Lovely Kiss

I've gotten tons of sweeps with this set so I figured I might as well post it here.
Coil gives lovely kiss perfect accuracy after a single use, turboblaze bypasses magic bounce and it's also immune to spectral thief. Works well with the aurora veil.

Example:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-601639355

While pretty neat and creative, the set does have some significant issues.

• Its pretty lacking in power. At max attack boost, you weren't even OHKOing threats Like Mewtwo-Y, which are generally considered frail, and just barely 2HKOing standard walls.
  • Its also really slow to get going because of that, requiring many turns of set-up, which actually means it plays fairly poorly with the time-limited Aurora Veil.
  • Mono-Steel, and non-stabbed Steel at that, is easily walled by resistant threats. Especially resistant Poison Heal users, notably Primal Kyogre, who resists Anchor Shot.
  • Poison Heal in general. Kyogre aside, all of them are immune to your sleep and you don't have enough presence to force them out unless you're very set-up or maybe vs PH Audino and Xerneas. Notable PH users that'll scoff at the set include Regigas, Giratina, Zygarde-C, and, though it doesn't run it frequently, Primal Groudon.
  • Common Fur Coat users also kinda don't care. Numbers speak for themselves: +6 252 Atk Arceus Anchor Shot vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Zygarde-Complete: 114-135 (17.9 - 21.2%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • Also Unaware, most notably Gyarados who resists Anchor Shot.
  • Also Prankster, most notably Registeel who often carries haze and resists Anchor Shot. Aegislash too, who can't be trapped as well.
  • If Imposter gets in when your Sub is down, Imposter stands a high chance of winning. ESPECIALLY if they win the first speed tie and put you to sleep.
  • Boomburst from -ates post a significant problem, as many of them can 2HKO Arceus and a few stand a solid chance of OHKOing after sub-damage. Or even outright OHKOing, such as Specs Mega-Ray. Coil and Substitute provide no protection from Boomburst.
  • This'll hopefully change in a few days, but if it doesn't, the set is complete Shadow Tag Gengar bait if they have slow-pivot support or predict a switch on Coil or Sub.
Several of these can be easily team built around, but I still feel the set is lacking a certain oomph. Switching to a Steel-type, like Solgaleo, would alleviate some power problems, although you do become vulnerable to Spectral Thief. You may also consider using Shift Gear instead and switching to Spore and running some Knock Off support to rid Safety Goggles, as the speed boosts would help some problems, such as faster Boomburst users getting in and blasting you through your Sub.

• Common Fur Coat users also kinda don't care. Numbers speak for themselves: +6 252 Atk Arceus Anchor Shot vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Zygarde-Complete: 114-135 (17.9 - 21.2%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • Also Unaware, most notably Gyarados who resists Anchor Shot.
Fur Coat and Unaware are irrelevant because of Turboblaze.

Fur Coat and Unaware are irrelevant because of Turboblaze.
Except Core Enforcer. Zygarde and Giratina definitely commonly carry it and outslow Arceus to use it. Gyarados may or may not have it. And neither are quickly KOed by even a heavily boosted Anchor Shot. I should have specified that originally though, my mistake.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.

creative and underrated sets for balanced hackmons (gorilla version)

marowoke (Marowak-Alola) @ Thick Club
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Brave / Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- V-Create
- Spectral Thief / Crabhammer
- Ice Hammer

otr marowak a. if you ever face Kadabrium and his 6 mmy team in a tour, bring this. basically it utilizes hazard control (which you should have) to tear apart those dumb ho squads who think they're safe because they have mmx or whatever. shadow shield helps in setting up trick room. you can go brave for more power or sassy to live contrary mmy's +2 psycho boost from full which is pretty good if you ask me (brave has an 18.8% chance to get ohkod). sassy also helps vs. triage ray's oblivion wing which is really pretty much the only priority move in the meta at this point.

beware moongeist etc

anyway the reason this is worth using over some other mmy-dismantling mon like pheromosa is because thanks to shadow shield, marowak lives a bunch of boosted hits from full. this allows it to function as a very nice emergency check to scary stuff.

252+ Atk Choice Band Groudon-Primal Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Shadow Shield Marowak-Alola: 229-271 (70.6 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (you lose the 1v1 unless you have ch, but you have trick room set up which gives you all the momentum)

contrary sets just get dunked on lol

+4 252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Shadow Shield Marowak-Alola: 286-337 (88.2 - 104%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

if you switch something that dies to a +2 attack into mega sceptile then i honestly don't know what to tell you. but marowak is cool, he can help you out.

for team options: wak works well vs frail offense but struggles against balance/stall, add something like slow lens pdon if you really want to have some fun. people are sleeping on lens pdon + toxic spikes

replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-608046578 not the best opponent but it shows wak putting in some work

next up are the MEWTWO TECH$

these are random tech moves designed to help mewtwo break through its counters and stuff. enjoy

#1: future sight

area 69 (Mewtwo-Mega-Y) @ Psychium Z / Choice Specs / Twisted Spoon
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Future Sight
- Psystrike / Psycho Boost / Revelation Dance
- Moonblast / mmy stuff
- Leech Seed / mmy stuff

future sight mmy. the goal of this set is to help a teammate (usually pdon) get ez kills by effectively getting in 2 hits in a single turn. ideally you click future sight on a forced switch, then you get pdon in, then you click v create and watch something die.

fc giratina (the only real lens pdon "stop") dies to sr + future sight + cb lens vcreate:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Giratina: 196-232 (38.8 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Giratina in Psychic Terrain: 279-328 (55.3 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

the given set is pretty imposter proof because imposter doesn't really have any threatening attacks so you can kinda just click leech seed and sit there. as a bonus, if you're not using psystrike then you can imposter-proof with your own chansey and hopefully get a kill with future sight into whirlwind from chansey. keep in mind that this doesn't happen that often but it's amazing when it does.

to get pdon in, running eject button on another mon is a cool idea for those annoying u-turns. if you want that extra "ayy lmao" value then you can run something like beheeyem or reuniclus for that nice slow pivot ez

watch me fail to use eject button correctly

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-608862079
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-608871016

#2: C O U N T E R T W O

匚ㄖㄩ几ㄒ乇尺ㄒ山ㄖ (Mewtwo-Mega-Y) @ Fightinium Z / Psychium Z / Twisted Spoon
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Shell Smash
- Psycho Boost / Stored Power
- Counter
- Strength Sap

i've had some good times with this set so for all its inconsistency, tilt generation, and general stupidity i figured i'd post it here. basically the point of this set is to take advantage of those defensive guys who like to run spectral thief/u-turn to deal with mmy. you reveal shell smash/psycho boost early game to easily force guys out. then if you get +2 vs. unaware mgyara or something, you click counter. bop

0 hp evs/31 ivs give you 353 hp, which is necessary to ohko chansey with counter. no more than that to make it easy to get back to full with strength sap (and reactivate sturdy).

if you want you can run stored power over psycho boost if you actually plan on sweeping with it but you need psychium to actually threaten guys out at +0. not the recommended option

the set imposter proofs itself through its own incompetence. imposter's only damaging attack is psycho boost. it needs shell smash to be threatening, but that raises its attack too so you can stall indefinitely with strength sap + sturdy until psycho boost loses power/runs out of pp ez

on a team i would recommend pairing this with other shell smash mmy sets, the theory being that countertwo eliminates the opponent's counterplay to setup mmy, then the other mmy sweeps. psychic surge variants in particular are very helpful for countertwo as they boost its psychic stab allowing it to more easily force out opponents to restore hp/set up.

beware prankster haze, keep in mind that it's usually only run by steel types. in the past i used to run magnet pull pdon to pick those guys off, but now you can't do that anymore so run cb v create mmy or something stupid ig

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmonssuspecttest-600558531

#3: mixtwo

MR. IDENTITY CRISIS (Mewtwo-Mega-X) @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Psycho Boost
- Spectral Thief / Growth / other setup
- Leech Seed / Shore Up / Snatch / Strength Sap

basically an mmx that thinks it's mmy. or, from a competitive standpoint, an mmy that can kill steels. spectral thief is fun for aegi and the 3 people using av regen giratina, growth can be used instead cause those guys aren't taking +1 pboost either way. recovery is recovery, i don't think shore up is as good as the other options because of how it turns imposter into a hard counter instead of something that can switch in like twice. snatch is a fun meme but it works better on something like stakeout pdon, for that matter you can run stakeout on this too if you want cause stakeout is a borderline broken ability lol.

when i first tried this i used twisted spoon because i didn't like life orb recoil, however the boost to both moves is really big to threaten stuff like solgaleo.

sorry no replays for this one

THE DOCTOR IS IN (Audino-Mega) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Soundproof
Sassy Nature
- U-turn
- Core Enforcer / Spore
- Heal Order
- Defog

soundproof mega audino. i'm pretty sure this set has been thought of before, so it falls more under the "underrated" part of this thread.

anyway in the current metagame -ate answers are extremely sparse, like the best ones are fc chansey and shedinja but those come with their own problems. sassy audino can fearlessly switch into even choice specs mons without fearing any coverage.

252 SpA Choice Specs Rayquaza-Mega Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino-Mega: 166-196 (40.4 - 47.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after burn damage

if you run techno blast then you should feel bad.

spore on a defensive mon is actually amazing. it beats imposter, and a slow spore is insanely good for momentum (offensive guys can't switch in). also handles normalize gengar nicely

for replays just check the ones with future sight mmy

swap shop (Giratina) @ Ghostium Z / Safety Goggles / tech
Ability: Fur Coat
Impish Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- hazard of choice
- Skill Swap
- Spectral Thief

swapper giratina. idk why i started using this thing but i really like it. skill swap is a really good move because not only do you suppress your opponent's ability, but you also steal it (which can be useful for regenerator etc). ph regi fails to break you either way, because you have fur coat and stuff. you lose fc when you use skill swap on the regi but it's not like they're staying in anyway.

guys like opposing magic bouncers can't usually threaten you, so you can just skill swap them and throw some hazards. double magic bounce is not a thing.

you can use ghostium z which enables you to brag to your friend that you have a normalize gengar answer when you don't really, safety goggles isn't much better because regi just knocks it off anyway. iapapa berry sounds fun as an alternative option

for team options, this set pairs incredibly well with cb lens pdon, providing it an imposter proofer as well as reliable hazards.

again check mmy replays. sorry i couldn't find better ones :(

Expand Don (Groudon-Primal) @ Choice Band
Ability: Turboblaze
Adamant Nature
- V-Create
- Bolt Strike
- Icicle Crash / Precipice Blades
- whatever

turboblaze is one of the most underrated abilities in bh right now imo, like soundproof. this is because of the prominence of fc giratina, which walls most pdon variants. but turboblaze doesn't care:

252+ Atk Choice Band Groudon-Primal Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 248-294 (49.2 - 58.3%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO

icicle crash is chosen because some giratina opt to run speed to check pdon more consistently, so hitting them before they can recover is cool. pblades is cool for opposing pdon/imposter but misses out on zyg.

no replays (sorry) because this set is basically another version of the kyub set above (same moves). if you want any just let me know.

finally... something that could actually be metagame defining!

are you ready?

introducing....
T R A N S F O R M

yes, you read that right. transform. not imposter.

basically the idea is that you slap transform on an offensive mon that can fend off imposter (either imposter-proof itself, or deal a bunch of damage before getting forced out) like say cb pdon with crabhammer. this is important so you can transform when you need to

if you get low on health, you click transform as your opponent goes to their counter. then you click recover and switch out. free 50% recovery ez. if you're not choiced then you can do other fun stuff like defog

meanwhile, imposters (being transformed already) are unable to transform again, so you can just go to your imposter-proofer and do whatever.

shoutouts to GmU pokeboss9

anyway that's all. if you want replays for any of these sets or you have any suggestions for improvements just let me know. thanks for reading, hope you have a great day!

Last edited:

Landorus-Therian @ Protective Pads
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Shore Up
- U-turn
- Beak Blast

For STABmons. Not my original idea, I stole it from ihhca. Perhaps he had other moves or EVs, the idea is Protective Pads. Protective Pads is criminally underrated and underused. Not making contact is excellent for avoiding opposing Beak Blast burns, or Ferrothorn's / Garchomp's residual damage, as these two are both common Landorus-T switch-ins. Avoiding random Rocky Helmets are nice, too. It's a very simple set that's incredibly effective. Give it a try!

I guess if we're doing Pads sets, we might as well do good ones. I don't think that Defensive Pads Landorus-T is good because Beak Blast doesn't make contact to begin with, hard-switching against opposing Defensive Landorus-T/Celesteela/Gyarados is fine, and Pads doesn't help it check anything that it's meant to check (i.e. it doesn't chip away at physical attackers, like Helmet, and it doesn't provide extra longevity, like Lefties). The real Pads threat is SD Diggersby, which I think I've talked about enough in the chat and spammed on ladder, that people legitimately expect it by now. I definitely think that it qualifies as a creative set, since the item has practically no competitive value in most other situations. It's also underrated because Dr. Phd. BJ told me he didn't like the set as I was typing this up.

Diggersby @ Protective Pads
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Basically, this lets you setup for free against Defensive Landorus-T and Celesteela and KO them without worrying about getting burned or King's Shielded as you try to sweep. It also stops you from getting chipped to death from Helmet, Barbs, and Rough Skin, which are present on almost every single FakeSpeed check, and integral to a lot of them actually taking you down. For instance, if Defensive Lando switches in while you SD, then you can simply SD again in its face, comfortably eat the Beak Blast, and then OHKO with +3 ESpeed. Celesteela is a similar story, but you just Fire Punch it in the face (maybe twice if it's Max Def > SpD).

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Beak Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Diggersby: 184-217 (59.1 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Landorus-Therian: 339-399 (88.7 - 104.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Fire Punch is preferred because of how ubiquitous Celesteela is, and how difficult is it to even damage it neutrally otherwise. If you're more worried about Def Gyarados or Slowbro than Ferrothorn (which you shouldn't be, I've seen one of each in ~300 games), then I guess Thunder Punch or Wild Charge could be run. As you can see, you can simply boost past Landorus-T instead of running Ice Punch for it. Fire Punch also hits Buzzwole and Tangrowth the hardest, but Diggersby really struggles to take them out to begin with unless it can chip them first (+2 LO Fire Punch hits for like 90).

There is obviously a trade-off here, since you don't do as much damage with ESpeed as you would with a Life Orb or Silk Scarf, but I have not found that to be much of an issue as most pokemon go down to +2 ESpeed regardless. This set cannot get past Dragon Tail TankChomp, Tangrowth, or Buzzwole, but even Life Orb sets have a hard time doing that, and these pokemon aren't half as common as Landorus, Celesteela, or Ferrothorn. Additionally, Life Orb sets are stopped cold by Beak Blast, and tend to die in one turn against Tank Chomp, which hits for ~60 with EQ, while you take 40 in chip + recoil for touching it.

If you're really worried that this doesn't have enough power, then add more fakespeeders to your team and let this one wallbreak and the other one clean/revenge.

I don't have replays to show it off, but I went 31-0 before finally losing with a team built around this mon + Ice Punch Lopunny, and then used it to retain my dual peak. It definitely melted some minds along the way.

Am i the only one that never saw P-Pads? I will never 'legitimately expect it by now'.
(Oh yeah, I'm a shitty person that can't go up 1280).
I really like the idea (and rekt my only way to stop fakespeed spam. Nice job T_T).
Just ONE thing: calc with 252 hp/252+ def on that Lando. Please. Why should someone not have his/her physically defensive counter/check to be a good one?
+3 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 325-384 (85 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
Just pointing out that 212 def is NOT good for a Physical wall. At all. At least maximise Def instead of Hp. It should not stay on special attacks anyway.
Still, P-Pads is a really nice item in STABmons!
EDIT: fucked up as always, now it's better. Not for the Lando T user, of course.
Also, here we have two M&M sets!

Skarmory @ Sablenite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Sablenite helps it to survive A LOT of things. Also, you can 1v1 Glailite Weavile, for example, thanks to both the neefound bulk AND the +20 in atk. A really cool mon. Surviving more special attacks is good.

Mew @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Blizzard
- Zap Cannon
- Focus Blast

I just wanted to have boltbeam coverage. Mew has the best and it is also fast. If Zap Cannon ends up banned, you have Thunder, of course. It is a really fun set!

Last edited:
Am i the only one that never saw P-Pads? I will never 'legitimately expect it by now'.
I really like the idea (and rekt my only way to stop fakespeed spam. Nice job T_T).
Just ONE thing: calc with 252 hp/252+ def on that Lando. Please. Why should someone not have his/her physically defensive counter/check to be a good one?
+3 252+ Atk Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 163-193 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO
You don't like this calc?
+3 252+ Atk Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 212 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 163-193 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO
This is a little better, but not that much.
Just pointing out that 212 def is NOT good for a Physical wall. At all. At least maximise Def instead of Hp. It should not stay on special attacks anyway.

Skarmory @ Sablenite
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Sablenite helps it to survive A LOT of things. Also, you can 1v1 Glailite Weavile, for example, thanks to both the neefound bulk AND the +20 in atk. A really cool mon. Surviving more special attacks is good.

Mew @ Pidgeotite
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Blizzard
- Zap Cannon
- Focus Blast

I just wanted to have boltbeam coverage. Mew has the best and it is also fast. If Zap Cannon ends up banned, you have Thunder, of course. It is a really fun set!
Those two lando calcs are basically the same, you just forgot huge power on diggersby.
Furthermore, that skarmory set has been in usage for a while, admittedly with the better whirwind over stealth rock, so ir doesnt really qualify.
To cap it , mew isn't fast; 120 speed is pretty much nothing in mnm, so it isnt breaking offense, while the lack of a bosting move and inability to beat blissey (and to a lesser extent magearna) means its not stallbreaking either. It is hard to switch into for many balances, but kts also hard to bring in and easy to force out, so thats less meaningful.

Damn, Huge Power. My bad. I'll edit it now.
I needed SR on it and not whirlwind, so i use it. Whirlwind better? Debatable. Not on my team.
About mew: right, i can't beat Blissey. 120 speed i found that it is enough for a lot of things. What does kts mean?

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
+3 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 325-384 (85 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
EDIT: fucked up as always, now it's better. Not for the Lando T user, of course.

Skarmory @ Sablenite
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Mew @ Pidgeotite
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Blizzard
- Zap Cannon
- Focus Blast

Lando runs that spread in OU to outspeed max speed Adamant Ttar and also survive 1 LO HP Ice from Tapu Koko; given the latter's ubiquity, I would argue that the investment is worthwhile (though you could obviously drop some speed if you don't care about ttar). Obviously the mons play differently in STABs compared to OU but it's a small investment for a relatively large gain.
Like QT said, neither MNM set is new, though you could maybe make an argument for New being underused.

(252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Landorus-Therian: 322-380 (84.2 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Please don't close your tabs; this one isn't about Balanced Hackmons. It is about 1v1.

California's Mistake @ Firium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 144 HP / 112 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
- Sunny Day​

Yes I do hate Kyurem-B with steam erupting passion but now I carry Metagross in every single team as the result of such hatred.
Now I needed a check for Mega Gyarados which is another butt pain in the meta. I tried Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Z-Reflect Tapu Lele. But none of them were capable of doing hot stuff, and eventually I decided to make something around Tangrowth.​

Initially I planned on making a set using Tangela which is disgustingly bulky with Eviolite, but I decided not to because of less power and I was forced to make it carry Eviolite instead of other items.​

The purpose of Firium Z is to activate Tangrowth's Chlorophyll and gaining +1 Speed at the same time, booting its Speed to 408. This outspeeds max Speed Tapu Koko and Marshadow which isn't thankfully banned yet despite its immediate overcentralization after release and lets Tangrowth recover 2/3 of its HP using Synthesis, lessening the necessity of super-specific investments. EV's are set in order to survive Jolly Marshadow's SS7SS and Technician Shadow Sneak, two +1 Outrage from Gyarados, Fake Out + crit Giga Impact from Mega Lopunny with 68.7% chance (meaning it will normally live), and tons of other crucial physical hits from the metagame.

Solar Beam finally lets Tangrowth show some offensive presence backed up by its 110 Special Attack and Sunny Day, and it does stuff like this:

252+ SpA Tangrowth Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Tangrowth Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 306-362 (88.9 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Tangrowth Solar Beam vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar-Mega: 326-386 (89 - 105.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Those imperfect chance of OHKOing is usually not a concern thanks to Tangrowth's phenomenal physical bulk.

This set basically loses to every 'mon who can hit Tangrowth supereffectively with STAB, so don't send this weed to stuff like Charizard, Kyurem-B, Pinsir... and more.
Also unfortunately Tangrowth doesn't do that good job against special attackers. Tapu Koko features OHKO on it using Thunder-based Gigavolt Havoc.
The purpose of using this guy is checking physical threats that say "Grass types are trash and I don't have to give a crap about it", namely Gyarados, Garchomp, Landorus-T (without Flyinium Z), or any other types that are weak to Solar Beam.
Oh, and about HP Fire, it does amazing job surprising Steel-types and I will show them through replays.

REPLAYS

Stupid Tapu Koko

Dumb Marshadow without Z-crystal

Press sprites to go to replays. I could get better ones but I just didn't because I have to ladder for reqs.

Shoutouts to me who made this set and is stupid enough to publicize this set when I haven't even acquired reqs for 1v1 suspect voting. Later folks​

Last edited:
Mix And mega: My new favorite wall:
Don't Breathe (Arceus-Poison) @ Toxic Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 208 HP / 232 Def / 8 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Judgment

One of the best Anti-meta Arceus sets available right now. Combined with a solid Primal Groudon answer such as Golicipod, Zygarde-C or Kyogre P, you can stop a whole lot of nasty physical attackers. The EV spread maximizes physical bulk, allowing it to do some really impressive stuff (check out the below calcs), as well as outspeeding support Arceus-Fairy by a point and getting a nice chance of a 2hKO with judgment. You need a bit more SpA to guarantee the 2hKO with judgement if it runs specially defensive, but most Arceus Fairy sets do not (the Arceus- fairy spread in the calculation maxes out its special defense while allowing it to outspeed jolly base 95 speed pokemon such as Rayquaza or Kyurem). The only time this set will let you down is against a boosting -ate sweeper that happens to carry Facade. But try it out!

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagrossite Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 208 HP / 232+ Def Arceus-Poison: 127-150 (29.3 - 34.6%) -- 8.5% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Blue orb Golisopod Liquidation vs. 208 HP / 232+ Def Arceus-Poison: 184-217 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
8 SpA Toxic Plate Arceus-Poison Judgment vs. 248 HP / 204+ SpD Arceus-Fairy: 204-240 (46 - 54.1%) -- 46.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsirite Zygarde Return vs. 208 HP / 232+ Def Arceus-Poison: 129-153 (29.7 - 35.3%) -- 17.3% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Refrigerate Glalitite Weavile Return vs. 208 HP / 232+ Def Arceus-Poison: 151-178 (34.8 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It also checks any variant of Tapu Koko:
252 SpA Pidgeotite Tapu Koko Thunder vs. 208 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Poison: 271-319 (62.5 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
8 SpA Toxic Plate Arceus-Poison Judgment vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 350-414 (124.5 - 147.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
ok so normally i would save this for a set dump but i want to present it right now because i'm sick of seeing people use weird sets on the ladder. i'm also kinda sick of olt but that's another story

introducing: hazard sheddy

Wonderwall (Shedinja) @ Protective Pads / Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 Atk / 69 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard / Extreme Speed
- U-turn / Baton Pass / Soak
- Stealth Rock / Spikes / Toxic Spikes

so in bh, shedinja is usually part of a 3 mon core: itself, imposter chansey, and a magic bounce user (usually mega audino for core immunity). this is because shed needs these two mons to cover its weaknesses in sungeist and status respectively.

after that you have 3 more slots to add stuff like prankster haze and breakers.

but when you're making a shed team, you gotta keep one thing in mind: how do you beat opposing shed teams? what do you use?

now the most common variant i see on the ladder is the "anti-shed", a shedinja that has moves such as toxic, infestation, and others to beat opposing shedinja (and thus, their teams). however, this set has many flaws. it gets forced out by imposter, it fails to break ghosts besides shed, no variant can 100% beat opposing shed (sunsteel<sash<status moves<lum, magic guard or switch to magic bounce<multi hit or something?<sturdy<sunsteel) and you are at risk of your opponent popping their own surprise out of nowhere.

let's take a look at the benefits of hazard sheddy:
  • due to the threat of endeavor, easily gets rocks up against opposing magic bouncers unless they're ghost type
  • imposter resistant because you can just switch to your own magic bouncer and take 0 from endeavor
  • beats opposing shedinja without ever having to face them 1v1
  • forces the opponent to click defog, giving you free momentum to go to a breaker or something (if you decide to forgo u-turn)
  • pp stalls defog too because stealth rock has more pp and most likely the defog user won't be able to touch shed
  • blocks rapid spin
yeah overall this set has worked very well for me and i hope that it will work just as well for you if you use it. thanks for reading!

replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-612978672

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
I JUST WANT TO TELL YOU HOW I'M FEELING
GOTTA MAKE YOU UNDERSTAND

memes in designated hide tag, avoid them if you wish to remain mentally sound

first off here's some stuff for mix and mega ig

pls (Latias) @ Sablenite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Defog
- Surf / Thunderbolt / Toxic / whatever you want
- Dragon Breath

dragon breath sablenite latias. the role of dragon breath on this set is to make latias much less passive compared to other sets, because it has a 30% chance to paralyze. this means that nothing can really set up on it except for xerneas. also does a really good job of harassing offensive teams, it's unlike scald in that even special attackers are crippled by para

8 speed is to outrun paralyzed base 130s

replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7mixandmega-614715603

sukctrio (Dugtrio) @ Mewtwonite X
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Substitute
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Memento / Stone Edge / Toxic

this thing is honestly so good because of the sheer amount of mons it traps, like if you're slower than this then chances are it beats you. the goal is to preserve arena trap and spam substitute until you're at 1 hp, then go super saiyan and ohko the opponent with stab 200 bp reversal off 459 attack. even after that it can come in and break walls! you can also trap stuff like blissey allowing for a teammate to sweep.

replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7mixandmega-614693323

now onto my favorite tier nice

give me the succ

SANICQUEN (Ninjask) @ Choice Band
Ability: Aerilate
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Explosion
- V-create
- U-turn / Trick

exactly what it looks like. thankfully even with an adamant nature ninjask outspeeds mmy which is kinda cool, you can use jolly if you want ig but like that misses out on some kos

replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-614217591

my shiny is so bad compared to my pre evolved form :( (Shiftry) @ Red Card / Leftovers / Choice Band / Yache Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- King's Shield / U-turn / Sunsteel Strike
- Nature's Madness / Spore

the meta is filled with spam featuring spore, v create, thousand arrows, and psycho boost. ff shiftry puts a stop to this making the opponent think twice before clicking a spammable move. kinda loses to everything else tho unfortunately but hey you're using shiftry

no replays sorry

THE DOCTOR IS DELET THIS (Audino-Mega) @ Choice Specs
Quiet Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Boomburst / Knock Off
- Overheat / Blue Flare / Earth Power
- Transform

yeah i don't know either. the point of the set is to come in on giratina or something and force it out because of immunities to stab and ohko the switchin for no reason

boomburst really only hits pdon so you don't really need it that much

MEME MACHINE BROKE

BOTOM TEXT

ok the real post begins now

i did some more experimentation with hyper offense in bh and i made some sets which was fun but i still believe it's a dumb matchup based playstyle. the team did ok on the ladder but lost to some guy in round 2 of a room tour. the guy wasn't that good either. don't use hyper offense

ENTOMOLOGY MAN (Pheromosa) @ Sitrus Berry / some other dumb item idk
Ability: Teravolt / Dazzling / Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 23 Def
- Belly Drum
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Icicle Crash

people might think pheromosa will lose its viability after stakeout gets banned but as long as i'm around that's not gonna happen. anyway, pheromosa's niche as a drummer comes from its extremely high speed. in fact, it's so fast that you don't need to run unburden!

teravolt vs dazzling is a matter of preference. each of them offer benefits, dazzling means that stuff like diancie can't revenge kill you while teravolt gives pheromosa an insanely good matchup vs defensive teams by allowing it to hit through fc and unaware. unlike the more well known drummer pdon, you can ohko fc giratina with +6 teravolt spectral thief. most teams run registeel as prankster hazer so pheromosa gets 2 kills every game nice

defense ivs are needed to ohko imposter at +6. unfortunately imposter is a speed tie but if you're running dazzling you can use sitrus to bluff unburden, this discourages them from coming in

replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-613526700

THUG LIFE (Pangoro) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Power Trip
- Sunsteel Strike
- Close Combat

drummer pangoro is another mon i wanted to try and it ended up pulling its weight really well. being a dark type means it can set up easily on mmy locked into psycho boost, and close combat + power trip just dismantles so much. it's kinda slow but fast enough to outspeed mmy at +2 even with adamant.

something cool is that you don't have to reduce bulk at all to kill imposter

+6 252+ Atk Pangoro Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Chansey: 1028-1212 (146 - 172.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

tagging I'm In Math Class Bro because pangoro is apparently your favorite mon so i thought you'd like to see this ig
replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-613518174

hey that's me (Lucario-Mega) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Close Combat
- Moongeist Beam
- Transform / First Impression

stakeout lucario. forces out registeel and mega audino and slaps the switchin with a 3x boosted stab move. if you're using this on a hyper offense team then run first impression, otherwise go with transform

nothing much to say, stab is stab, moongeist is for mega slowbro and aegi. lucario isn't as powerful as mmx or kartana but it has a much better stab combo. its speed tier is also very nice, like it outspeeds mega diancie and kartana (but not +speed ray).

something else to note is that imposter literally can't switch in on close combat. it just gets mauled

replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-613517079

Pangoro @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Close Combat
- Power Trip
- Sunsteel Strike

Pheromosa @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Dazzling
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 22 Def
- Belly Drum
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Icicle Crash

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Illusion
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Sleep Talk
- Core Enforcer

Lucario-Mega @ Choice Band
Naive Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Close Combat
- Moongeist Beam
- First Impression

Regigigas @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Shift Gear
- Knock Off
- Spore

Toxapex @ Safety Goggles
Relaxed Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Glare
- Core Enforcer
- Haze

that's enough of both fighting types and hyper offense

WISH KILLER (Giratina-Origin) @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Circle Throw
- Moongeist Beam
- Final Gambit / Sunsteel Strike
- Strength Sap

i was looking for a partner for normalize mega gengar and this guy seemed to do the trick. the mon with the highest hp of any viable ghost type (besides drifblim), it's able to lure in defensive answers to gengar and ohko them with final gambit. circle throw on stakeout is actually so good, you just click it vs. mega audino and registeel that are using u turn and kinda chill. the best part is that not only do you potentially bop the switchin but sometimes you can just drag out something else that you force out and restart the cycle.

not gonna lie i forgot about this set after i theorymonned it and put it on a team a while ago but i tried it out today and it absolutely tore through some teams holy cow

replays: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-614721509
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-614722326

to fini-sh things off today we got another move.

nature's madness

now before this i thought that nature's madness was nothing more than a niche move on defensive pivots like solgaleo. but then i saw what offensive mons could do with it

nature's madness chips things down. it forces defensive mons to recover and harshly limits the amount of times imposter can come in. this makes it a counterpart to transform-- while transform requires that the imposter be threatened or take lots of damage on the switch, nature's madness is better to run on something that would normally do like 15% to imposter.

also it's kinda like u turn in that if the switchin walls you, you just get a free switch while they have to recover. it's even better because they lose 50% if they stay in too!

Zovrah GL Volkner tegrof19 RNGIsFatal you guys thought i was going to give you shoutouts but NOT TODAY GET RICK ROLLED (jk you guys are cool and there are more people who deserve shoutouts but unfortunately i need a badge to do that COUGH COUGH)

as always if there's any way i can improve these posts (more replays, more calcs, better sets lol) just let me know. thanks for reading and i hope these sets serve you well!

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
First of all I take back what I said:

upload_2017-8-9_13-59-9.png

upload_2017-8-9_13-58-51.png

upload_2017-8-9_13-58-21.png

upload_2017-8-9_13-57-52.png

Because this showcase proves these turned out to be false:

God of Rolls (Greninja-Ash) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpD
- Origin Pulse
- Dank Pulse
- Dragon Pulse Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere​

Overview:

Role: Wallbreaker
Category: Creative / Underrated
Self-sufficiency: Low
Usage Difficulty: Hard due to being very prediction-reliant

In-depth Look:

This set is very straightforward: a Choice Specs special attacker. Movesets are simple as well. They are all moves that are boosted by Mega Launcher, and this gives second 1.5x power boost to Greninja followed by Choice Specs. This turns even Ash-Greninja into a fearsome wallbreaker that barely anything relevant can switch into (bar Fur Coat Chansey). The reason why I decided to experiment with Ash-Greninja is because of its Speed that is only outsped by MMY, Mega Sceptile, and Pheromosa in terms of relevance. This means, it can equip Choice Specs unlike Primal Kyogre which will need Choice Scarf to deal with the metagame better. Second reason is because of its Dank-typing, which will keep Ash Gren safe from random Prankster shenanigans and another powerful STAB on Dank Pulse. This means, even if Greninja uses a wrong move with misprediction, it will most likely end up hitting the switch-in neutrally at least. Water / Dank is quite decent in terms of offense, it is just it lacks a power without relying on items and ability. It is only resisted by Tapu Bulu and Hydreigon which aren't even relevant. Third reason is I can make Ash Gren very frail, and it does some fun stuff hitting its own Imposter. Check wall of calculations for further information...

Wall of Calculations:

upload_2017-8-9_14-29-54.png

(added +1 because PS calculator doesn't boost this move with Mega Launcher)​

+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Solgaleo: 237-279 (49.5 - 58.3%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 246-289 (67.5 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino-Mega: 279-328 (68 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Yveltal: 331-391 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (81.3% to OHKO after Stealth Rock)

upload_2017-8-9_14-32-2.png

(aka Dark Pulse)​

252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Dank Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Solgaleo: 344-408 (72.1 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Dank Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 178-211 (48.9 - 57.9%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Dank Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Giratina: 462-546 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (100% to OHKO on + Def, 68.8% to OHKO on +SpDef variants after Stealth Rock)
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Dank Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Gengar-Mega: 542-638 (167.2 - 196.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Idk why I posted last one but w/e

upload_2017-8-9_14-31-7.png

252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Rayquaza-Mega: 370-436 (89.3 - 105.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO (#FeelsBadMan)
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde-Complete: 350-412 (55 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
52 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina: 298-352 (59.1 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not really relevant move outsides hitting Mega Ray after Stealth Rock.

Nvm this move is shit, just use Ice Beam. Thanks to those who pointed it out.

upload_2017-8-9_14-31-33.png

Third reason is I can make Ash Gren very frail, and it does some fun stuff hitting its own Imposter. Check wall of calculations for further information...
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 238-282 (65.3 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados-Mega: 266-314 (67.5 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Gyarados-Mega: 178-210 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO (100% to 2HKO after Stealth Rock)
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Dialga: 350-412 (86.6 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO (50% to OHKO after Stealth Rock)
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Aura Sphere vs. 248 HP / 0- SpD Eviolite Chansey: 528-622 (75.1 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (6.3% to OHKO after Stealth Rock)

Replay:

Against a random person using Flint's team in sample team vault. Not the best opponent (nor the best replay) I guess, but it shows how Greninja give a surprise to defensive cores.

upload_2017-8-9_14-14-32.png
I got a high roll there, oops.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:
2v2 Doubles:

@

EVs: 8 Atk / 248 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Encore
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

Encore is something that I have not yet encountered on the ladder. Which is both kind of understandable and a shame at the same time. But this set should be incredibly obvious in what it does, both for you and the opponent. This works in your favor, as it heavily discourages Fake Outs or Protects at turn one and discourages selecting users of those moves at Team Preview. This can be heavily exploited, especially as a lot of 2v2 teams are "inflexible", that is to say they're built around 2 groups of mons that are only designed to work with each other. Liepard, on the other hand, is one of the most flexible mons. I have used it with all 3 of its teammates depending on the matchup, and it does not demand that its teammates be built to accomodate it.

The EVs let it live Marshadow Close Combat without a boosting item, as well as other hits like LO Garchomp Earthquake. It is still incredibly frail, however, and is prone to being knocked out by strong neutral moves. Play Rough+Sucker Punch nets a 2HKO on -1 Defense Marshadow, and you're so weak that there's no real point in going for the extra power of Knock Off. This is best paired with something that thrives on the fear that Fake Out+Encore brings to the table, like Marshadow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)