Crypto Currency

Status
Not open for further replies.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
bitcoin is at 13.5k at the time of writing this.

I've made a few hundred dollars with minimal effort and tiny input. You can all do better than I did.

On the other hand, crypto currency is also bad in ways. Drugs. Crime. Energy costs.

Bubble? maybe. Bad? maybe. But however you feel about crypto, it is certainly having an impact on our world. Discuss.

bitcoin is at 13.6k at the time of writing this.

you mock normies and have a normie tier understanding of cryptocurrency. pathetic.

bitcoin's transactions are public and pseudonymous, so it's really idiotic to use it for drugs and crime. only crypto that's truly private is monero. so, don't invest into monero if you don't wanna implicitly profit from terrorism.

look into PoS coins (ether and basically all of erc-20 tokens) if you don't like the energy loss from PoW coins. ether is basically smogon of crypto, so you guys should love that shit.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Genuine Question -

Would it be worth throwing, let's say, about 50$ into Bitcoin right now? Is it reasonable to say EVERYONE has a chance to hit big with Bitcoin?

Im too young and poor rn but personally I see value in investing in Abyssinian coin Ethiopian cryptocurrency humanity evolved there and we will evolve there once more

Oh boy, I had an insane idea for a crypto thread in the making for after my exams. Dang.

I jumped on the train shortly after the BTC/BCH fork, when BTC was around $3000-$4000. Needless to say, I'm happy with my gains. With that said, I lost out on some on mostly sitting in altcoins. Regardless, I am still bullish on them. Especially ARK.

crypto that's truly private is monero. so, don't invest into monero if you don't wanna implicitly profit from terrorism.
Wow, just wow. Avoid USD if you don't wanna implicitly profit from terrorism.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Genuine Question -

Would it be worth throwing, let's say, about 50$ into Bitcoin right now? Is it reasonable to say EVERYONE has a chance to hit big with Bitcoin?
I put $66 in a week and a half ago and it's already worth close to 90. I also put $550 into other cryptocurrencies and am in the black overall so far. Kind of wish I put more into bitcoin but I'm not a big believer in the technology long term compared to some of the better designed altcoins out there

Oh boy, I had an insane idea for a crypto thread in the making for after my exams. Dang.

I jumped on the train shortly after the BTC/BCH fork, when BTC was around $3000-$4000. Needless to say, I'm happy with my gains. With that said, I lost out on some on mostly sitting in altcoins. Regardless, I am still bullish on them. Especially ARK.

Wow, just wow. Avoid USD if you don't wanna implicitly profit from terrorism.
lmao. this post is the epitome of everything wrong with cryptocurrency. you -still- think about value in terms of fiat while disparaging fiat in the same post. it's like that you're almost there... not quite.

that's a false equivalency. we have government agencies to track usd used in terrorism and punish them. with xmr, can't do that at all. you have to be delusional to think that xmr won't be mainly used for illegal activities. ffs, darknet news pumps xmr value. lol.

hyw

Banned deucer.
Switcheroo crypto for the housing market:

housing prices r at 13.5k at the time of writing this.

I've made a few hundred dollars with minimal effort and tiny input. You can all do better than I did.

On the other hand, the housing market is also bad in ways. Interest-only mortgages. Negative-amortizing mortgages. Adjustable-rate mortgages. Subprime mortgages.

Bubble? maybe. Bad? maybe. But however you feel about housing, it is certainly having an impact on our world. Discuss.

housing prices is at 13.6k at the time of writing this.

Imo the only rational investing one can do in crypto is to not touch it at all. Try shorting it and u cud run dry before the bubble pops; go long only to find urself in freefall off the cliff with no exit strat. These markets r too complex for anyone who has the leisure in their day to visit a site like smogon to understand, let alone have amassed the min capital req to interact with

internet

Switcheroo crypto for the housing market:

housing prices r at 13.5k at the time of writing this.

On the other hand, the housing market is also bad in ways. Interest-only mortgages. Negative-amortizing mortgages. Adjustable-rate mortgages. Subprime mortgages.

Bubble? maybe. Bad? maybe. But however you feel about housing, it is certainly having an impact on our world. Discuss.

housing prices is at 13.6k at the time of writing this.

Imo the only rational investing one can do in crypto is to not touch it at all. Try shorting it and u cud run dry before the bubble pops; go long only to find urself in freefall off the cliff with no exit strat. These markets r too complex for anyone who has the leisure in their day to visit a site like smogon to understand, let alone have amassed the min capital req to interact with
i cant deny crypto is basically gambling to me but im not sure what youre trying to say with the switcheroo parto f your post

hyw

Banned deucer.
i cant deny crypto is basically gambling to me but im not sure what youre trying to say with the switcheroo parto f your post
i was tryna say that crypto is a bubble just like the housing market was prior to its crash. At the same time tho its dangerous to act even knowing this as fact bc when the crypto bubble will crash is unknown. Imo good investing is paying a good price for the appropriate amount of risk. And i think that the crypto market not only shows indicators of being a bubble (disproportionate and rapid rise of prices, the opportunity to profit w min effort, etc) but is also too complex for anyone here to understand well enuf to make informed investments in.

Ig my q to those w stakes in crypto is, if u dont know the risk associated w these products, then how do u know whether the current price of crypto is a good buy? Or r ppl rly claiming to understand these markets?

Last edited:

internet

i was tryna say that crypto is a bubble just like the housing market was prior to its crash.
not sure if you chose the right post to attack then because I literally said it might be a bubble, also you are saying nobody understands these markets but seem very sure of yourself when stating it is a bubble? that seems somewhat contradictory to me.

To me it's a thrilling hobby more than something I consider "investing", especially since I only have a few hundred bucks staked in crypto.

This thread isn't exclusively intended to be a place to shill coins or ramble about how it is a bubble, you can find that anywhere. I'm curious what people think the broader impact of crypto currency and blockchain technology is and might be.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This thread isn't exclusively intended to be a place to shill coins or ramble about how it is a bubble, you can find that anywhere. I'm curious what people think the broader impact of crypto currency and blockchain technology is and might be.
I believe the broader impact of digital currency is going to be pretty massive; a way to erase banking institutions and credit card fees. Carrying around your money securely with no chance of theft unless you lose the key? Sounds rad.

But I don't think crypto currency will EVER reach that point until the price stops skyrocketing.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cryptocurrency won't reach that point as long as governments, banks, and corporations are involved with each other. Unless major companies start accepting it in lieu of actual currency, it'll never stabilize and be much more than speculation. If, for some reason, this does happen one day, you can bet the government will be ready to step in and start regulating it. The banks won't go down without a fight, either. Personally I don't think it will reach that in our lifetime, but who knows.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I put $66 in a week and a half ago and it's already worth close to 90. I also put $550 into other cryptocurrencies and am in the black overall so far. Kind of wish I put more into bitcoin but I'm not a big believer in the technology long term compared to some of the better designed altcoins out there
Why not? I worked in central banking last year and BlockChain was one of the hot button topics being investigated for future use

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Why not? I worked in central banking last year and BlockChain was one of the hot button topics being investigated for future use
Blockchain technology is wonderful and I agree, it's going to be huge. Bitcoins technology is just inferior to that of some other coins (Litecoin comes to mind). Really painful to mine, very slow to transfer, only 21 million coins can exist, transactions aren't confidential etc. Kind of reminds me of how Nokia were the first to capture the phone market and then Apple took the existing product and made it way better.

Blockchain isn't exclusive for Bitcoin and other crypto currencies. The technology is very good for tasks that benefit from trustless consensus

Bought the BTC dip at $15080. I am kinda buying into the narrative of this bull run might continue until late december/early january, and then face a correction. I intend to short this position at some point before that. If this plan works out, it would be the first time I take profits out of crypto. With that said, I don't believe in this shoot enough to also short my original investment. I still think Bitcoin is undervalued in the long-term.

Would probably have used the money on Ethereum if that dip never happened. Need to balance more of my portfolio into big coins that have proved themselves in general. At the moment, I have small amounts into a lot of speculative small marketcaps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)