Monotype "Dark Lives Matter"- A Dark Stall Team

Yoo, it's your boy Jo' Zzzz and I'm back with return of Dark Stall for Sun & Moon. Before that though, I want to speak up about a very sensitive topic. In Gen 7, it has been evident that Dark Monotype has fallen in viability and, as a fellow Dark-skinned brethren, I am disheartened at this development. In accordance, I want to say a few words for some fallen comrades. Shout-out to Bisharp who was a threat throughout Gen 6 but got hit hard by the Sucker Punch nerf, you were a real one. Shout-out to my nigga Drapion who couldn't take a Z-Fleur Cannon for shit, got put down real fast - you will be missed. Last but not least, shout-out to my nigga Hydreigon, letting BD Azu set up in my face and sweep my whole team, you were responsible for a lot of deaths but you were a real one for trying to flinch. Anyway, with that aside, let's get back to the squad.

First Glance of the Dark Youths

First is the obvious Dark Defensive Core of Mandi + TTar + M-Sableye. These 3 make up the best possible Defensive Core Dark has to offer as they cover huge weaknesses such as the obvious Bug and Fighting in addition to being especially effective vs Physical-Based Set Up Sweeper with Foul Play + Wisp. TTar is an overall special tank that doesn't cover weaknesses per say, but its immense SpDef makes it able to make weaknesses look like resistances.

Next, the copy paste core of last gen was super weak to Fairy Types but Gen7 gave Dark Monotype a gift, Alolan Muk. Despite not being able to touch huge threats like Magearna, Alolan-Muk is a savior for the Dark vs any Fairy Type match-up as it can tank any special fairy move and hit back with a SE move most of the time.

The important Cleric Umbreon. The team lacked a Status Healer and a Wish Passer for TTar and Muk, so Umbreon was the obvious choice. It also acts as another Sp. Def. Wall to ease Alolan-Muk and TTar.

Lastly, the team is pretty Water weak, and Dark doesn't have many good answers to those so I thought I'd use Cacturne. Cacturne not only acts as a Water Absorber but it also acts as a Spike Setter + other residual damage in Leech Seed and Spiky Shield, which helps with Stall hugely. Furthermore, it's a switch-in to Choice-Locked Keldeo, forming an immunity core with it and Mega Sableye, and can revenge Azumarill.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe or 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Whirlwind
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog

Mandibuzz's set, along with most of the other mons', is pretty self-explanatory. It's the main Defensive Wall of the team and has a form of Hazard Removal in Defog. It acts as a switch-in to most Physically Offensive mons and can retaliate with Foul Play to do nominal damage to them. Whirlwind was added to Mandi because it not only synergizes well with Hazard Stack but it also phases out troublesome mons like Sub CM Keldeo which would otherwise give me hell. This is why an alternate Spread with some Sp. Def. can be used to avoid a 2HKO from +1 Scald from Keldeo though it does make Mandi more susceptible to things like Banded Excadrill and Offensive Landorus-T.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off / Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Mega-Sableye is a solid Fighting immunity and all-around great Utility mon. Having access to Will-o-Wisp allows it to cripple most Physical Attackers, easing the stress on Mandibuzz and the team as a whole. Protect is used to secure a safe Mega Evolution and to also scout opponent's sets. For example, it is useful to have Protect vs a Choice-Locked Keldeo as you can scout which move they use and how to switch appropriately. Knock Off is used to get rid of troublesome items like Leftovers which often hinders Stall. Foul Play can also be used for a Physical Sweeper that tries to set-up in your face but, overall, I find Knock Off more useful. Recover is self-explanatory.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful/Sassy Nature
IVs: 31/7 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Roar/Fire Blast/Ice Beam

TTar is another staple for this team to work as it is the most reliable Defensive Rocker Dark has to offer. Its immense Special Bulk allows it to take almost any Special Hit, including a Focus Blast from Zard Y in the Sand, which can be a huge threat. I feel EdgeQuake is essential coverage on TTar now-a-days as Magearna is a huge threat and takes Fire Blast too well for my comfort. A Sassy Nature with 7 IV's can be used so that you are 1 point slower than TR Magearna to out-slow and 2HKO after Rocks. TTar is super helpful in checking things like Volcarona and the Sandstorm helps to wear down the opponent quite nicely. Roar is used to shuffle around the opponents team so they have to take Hazards Damage. Ice Beam can be used for Lando-T that may try to set up on it.

Muk-Alola @ Normalium Z / Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stockpile
- Infestation
- Poison Fang
- Rest

Alright, so this is where things get a bit weird. I know this Muk set looks like utter trash but trust. This is a set that I like to call the Fairy Killer. It doesn't beat Fairy on it's own 100% of the time but it does it quite often, much better than you could hope for. This Muk set allows you to switch in on Magearna's Fleur Cannon, trap it with Infestation, and set yourself up for the rest of the team with Stockpile + Rest. It also sets up on Klefki and Unaware Clefable. Poison Fang is there to Toxic Poison stuff like Mega-Sableye 50% of the time with a 30% chance of regular Poison on the side, pretty much allowing you to Poison something most of the time. I know the set is kinda wild but it was the best way I could see this team not only checking Magearna but also having a chance to beat Fairy. I recommend Z Stockpile as it allows you to heal reliably vs Magearna and also avoid the Electric Terrain from Tapu Koko preventing Rest. I had a lot of fun using this set as it can also work well vs opposing Stall Teams or annoying Defensive cores like Chansey + P2. Don't sleep on it.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

Pretty uninteresting mon to talk about. Cleric Umbreon. Wish passes and heals Status. Foul Play is a reliable offensive move. Protect allows Umbreon to scout moves and heal itself reliably. Great Special Wall. That about covers it.

Cacturne @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield
- Giga Drain

Okay, last but not least, Cacturne. There was a bit of competition for the last spot with the likes of Scarf Greninja or a Defensive Hydreigon but I decided to go with this. Cacturne is not a defensive mon by any means but it does have some fairly useful utility. Spikes is great for this team as it works well with Toxic/Poison stalling and allows me to wear down teams with greater ease. Cacturne also gets access to Leech Seed + Spiky Shield, allowing it to get residual coverage for itself and other members of the team while also giving residual damage to the opposing mon if it comes in contact with the Spiky Shield. Also, Spiky Shield allows me to once again scout vs Choice Locked Keldeo and things like that. Furthermore, another reason I decided on Cacturne was for the fact that it can revenge Azu without taking Aqua Jet damage/getting outsped. Any form of Azumarill is a problem but the damage racks up significantly with Sandstorm + Rocks + Spikes + Spiky Shield, allowing for it to revenge with Giga Drain quite easily while limiting its switch-ins. For this reason, I don't think I could replace Cacturne. The Spread is so that it outspeeds Azumarill 100% of the time, bar random Scarf Azu (help me) while maximizing its bulk, if you can even call it bulk.

Despite the constant oppression Dark seems to be facing, there's always a way to rise above it. This Stall Team may not be the most effective way to play Dark but it is definitely not too far off. The team, as you'd imagine from a Monotype, is still weak to a ton of things(which will be listed down below) but there's no much that can be done about those. I really hope you enjoy and I hope I was able to put a bit more of a spotlight on the falling Dark.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Whirlwind
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog

Muk-Alola @ Normalium Z
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stockpile
- Infestation
- Poison Fang
- Rest

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

Cacturne @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield
- Giga Drain

Volcarona - Very dangerous if it TTar gets low and Rock aren't up. It can be stalled with Muk's Poison + Infestation then Protect stalled after if Muk dies.
Mega-Heracross - Not much can be done about this. Sub/SD can run through my entire team. The most I can do is burn it with Sableye then try to deal with Guts Heracross.
Azumarill - No matter what, this mon is gonna be annoying. Most often, I'm forced to sack a mon every time this comes in. You must rely on Hazards + Cacturne to deal with it.
Keldeo - SubCM Keldeo is the most threatening. If it gets up too many Calm Minds, I'm screwed. Best bet is to get up Hazards, status it and phaze it out with Mandibuzz.
Terrakion - Again, SubSD or Double Dance is a major threat. Need to burn with Sableye.
Tapu Koko - Hits super hard and prevents Muk from resting. TTar and Muk handle it relatively well but it can still be a nuisance.
Tapu Bulu - Hits way too hard. Muk is easily 2HKo'd by a Banded set and the Mandibuzz switch-in is very obvious and easily punishable. Keep Mandibuzz healthy and try to burn with Sableye. A Fully Set Up Muk can also beat it.
Magearna - Major threat. Fleur Cannon hits really hard and can OHKo/dent every mon on my team, not to mention Z Fleur Cannon. Try to trap it with Muk so that Muk/TTar + Hazards can finish it off.

Okay, here we go...
Shout-out to:
Clearly
Sabella
TheThorn
Eien
Paleo
Wanka
Yaksok
Tyke
StarBlim
6ti
Bushtush
Zarif
Lax
Attribute
Entei

Shout-out to the entire WOA squad and any other friends I forgot to mention, you're some real ones.

Last edited:
This may not mean much coming from me, but your team is pretty great. Looking at it, I only have a few tiny suggestions:

248 HP on Mega Sableye and Cacturne to minimize Stealth Rock damage. Just generally something decent for if your opponent puts up Stealth Rock and pressures Mandi way too much.

And now here's a bigger suggestion:

Max out the Special Defense on Tyranitar. Even with no Attack investment, Earthquake will still be 2HKOing after Stealth Rock a lot of the time, as seen here:

0 Atk Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 166-196 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

And the extra special bulk may be somewhat beneficial due to surviving Mega Charizard Y's Focus Blast in sand after Stealth Rock, which wouldn't always be guaranteed otherwise:

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 292-348 (72.4 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 200+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 308-364 (76.4 - 90.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

This suggestion is really more about whether you want to take your chances more with Magearna or Mega Charizard Y. Keeping Stealth Rock away may not be incredibly easy against a type like Fire, where Mega Sableye will find itself largely pressured a lot of the time, and Mandibuzz can potentially be put to sleep by Torkoal. But if you can counterplay it effectively enough, it shouldn't be that large of an issue.

Again, it shouldn't mean much from me since I actually lost to this team and am a standard meta conformist (and you will be too one day), but I hope that a few of these suggestions helped.

And being the meta conformist that I am, I'm contractionally obligated to leave this VR link:http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-sm-viability-rankings.3589809/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)