ORAS RU DEAD OR LIE

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

DEAD OR LIE

Hello and welcome to my 2k RMT. For those who are unaware, I've been playing RU for around a year now, after moving from UU. RU has always been my favorite tier, and I've been experimenting with some Pokemon and cores that can take advantage of the typical "RegiMola" cores. Sawk has been a pretty cool Pokemon recently, being very threatening due to its Choice Band set. However, Alomomola's presence makes Sawk's presence less threatening. Another Pokemon which is very good right now is Sneasel, but Alomomola is one of the main reasons why it's not S rank in viability rankings yet. The team is built around Sawk + Sneasel core, and is pretty offensive, you just have to figure out your wincons and use other Pokemon to dent the team.

Sawk @ Choice Band | Sturdy
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Adamant
Close Combat | Knock Off | Poison Jab | Earthquake / Stone Edge
Using Sawk is pretty simple, just spam Close Combat, Knock Off the Psychic-types, and Poison Jab the Fairy-types. Earthquake can be used as a safer method to attack if the opponent has something like a Diancie and Venusaur, and is primarily useful in crippling Diancie if needed. Stone Edge can be used to hit Flying-types, especially Golbat. An alternative set could be using Taunt over Earthquake and Fist Plate over Choice Band to pressure bulkier builds more.

Sneasel @ Life Orb | Pickpocket
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Jolly
Knock Off | Icicle Crash | Ice Shard | Pursuit / Iron Tail
Sneasel is an excellent Pokemon in the metagame at the moment, and I predict it to be even more threatening in the non-Alomomola suspect ladder. It's the standard set, where it acts as a revenge killer and a generally hard Pokemon to switch into. The reason why it's so good is because its Speed tier is very high, and it also doesn't get donked by Dugtrio, while checking top threats such as Venusaur and Virizion. Pursuit is generally used to trap Psychic-types that are pretty annoying for the team, but Iron Tail can also be used to KO Diancie and make Granbull weakened, easing Sawk to spam Close Combat without much drawback.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge | Overgrow
252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Timid
Leaf Storm | Sludge Bomb | Knock Off | Synthesis
This Pokemon is one of the best Pokemon in RU at the moment, its best merit is to wear down its checks and counters by a couple of ways. Venusaur can also be threatening to RegiMola cores, as Knock Off cripples Registeel by taking off its item, which is its only form of recovery (barring Wish support). This set, unlike the bulkier Leech Seed variant, has offensive prowess, and doesn't lose momentum. Venusaur should be used aggressively, and double switching to Sawk from Venusaur is appreciated, as people tend to have hard time switching into Sawk, while they tend to switch out of Venusaur. In order to deal with Golbat, use Knock Off on the switch and then it's no more a switchin for Sawk, as Stone Edge can beat it.

Diancie @ Leftovers / Shuca Berry | Clear Body
240 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe | Calm
Stealth Rock | Diamond Storm | Moonblast | Toxic
Diancie is a pretty cool Pokemon in the current meta, being a good Flying-, Fire-, and Dragon-type check and a good sponge in general. Calm nature is the best nature for Diancie, as getting outsped by max Speed Mega Camerupt is troublesome for Diancie. Other than that everything else is pretty much standard. I've decided to run Toxic over Heal Bell because Diancie desperately needs Toxic, or else the team loses to Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary. Moonblast always breaks Braviary's Substitute, and you have to Toxic the turn it tries to set up or recover. Shuca Berry can be used over Leftovers to check Dugtrio and Flygon, but I think the recovery is important, since it's the team's Braviary switch in and check.

Flygon @ Choice Band | Levitate
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Jolly
Earthquake | Outrage | U-Turn | Defog / Iron Tail
Flygon is like the premier RU Pokemon, it is on almost every teams, as it has a plethora of sets, and its ability to remove hazards on a tier with minimal hazard removers is very important. I hate running choiced Defog, but I think this team needs Defog. If you're not too keen on using it, you could go for Iron Tail in order to beat Shuca Berry Diancie, as people tend to use that when their team are weak to Ground-types. Flygon is another breaker, but it's more of a cleaner due to its higher Speed (Sneasel should always be the premier cleaner, but Flygon is ideal if you're facing a bulkier team).

Slowking @ Colbur Berry | Regenerator
252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe | Bold
Scald | Fire Blast | Signal Beam / Thunder Wave | Slack Off
Slowking serves as the team's much needed Medicham check, and is the defensive pivot the team needs. I ran Fire Blast over any other attack is because the team is very weak to Escavalier, and fast Escavalier are rare nowadays, because they are too weak to tank much hits. Signal Beam should always be considered, because Malamar is very dangerous. Even though I have Choice Band Flygon and Sawk, Malamar can be very threatening once it starts getting boosts. If you think you're safe around Malamar you should run Thunder Wave, which would make the threat be more easily manageable by the team. I added Colbur Berry on Slowking because of how good Dark-type spam is in the metagame at the moment, and Slowking can act as a soft check to them.

Kushalos you're one of the God tiered people out there. I've been good friends with you for around a year and you still piss me off with your weird sets and memes.
Eyan for always being there for me, you're someone I look up to and hold dear to. Go flex in training.
Lax come back you (BAN ME PLEASE) you're an amazing friend
Kingler12345 even though I got to know you recently, you've been a great friend since WCOP. Go and win Slam this year! :pimp:
Scythe. it's because of you I've gone far as a player. Thank you for everything, start playing more (BAN ME PLEASE).
IronBullet you've been a role model to me who made me wanting to contribute to Smogon in the first place. You're a great leader and a great individual, thanks for always being there for me.
DTC we've been good friends since RUPL and I really appreciate our friendship.
Alkov go flex
Pearl PIKACHUGIRL IS THE BEST
Jariibo (LOL U CHANGED BACK) you suck at LU
Ary fuck you Bangladesh isn't the capital of India and jamvad didn't tutor me
TonyFlygon love u
Feliburn LOL SORRY FOR FORGETTING
Arik youngee Nazib RaiyanGotNo3DS 3 pokes Xboy Asim12 denger TEAM BANGLA. You guys are autistic
AM Cyndequil Kreme Teddeh MrAldo Eniigma Royalty Starmei Peli p2 DaAwesomeDude1 TEAM CT
atomicllamas gorex Chill Shadow TraceofLife Molk slurmz Advantage ryan Don Honchkrorleone passion Chakra -Tsunami- cool RU people :toast:
Snowy. mil Tricking Enki love your work in RMT
GrilledClawitzer TSR Accelgor Lixx Thisbemyalt Shiba Pak Killintime UU CALL GROUP
Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea Ice Tea

Sawk @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

Sneasel @ Life Orb
Ability: Pickpocket
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Toxic

Flygon @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog
- Outrage

Slowking @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Signal Beam
- Slack Off

Last edited:
This is a pretty straightforward and solid team, Sawk + Sneasel + Slowking is a great bulky offense core. I like your Venusaur set a lot. Knock Off Venusaur w/ Black Sludge is really great at breaking down common defensive cores while being good at checking random shit.

Imo, Registeel may be better than Diancie for your Stealth Rock Pokemon. Registeel doesn't beat Fire-types like Diancie can but you have Flygon + Slowking already (and Sneasel for CM Delphox), so not sure why you would need another Fire-type answer. Registeel would help you handle shit like Jolteon better, as Diancie is a bit easier to wear down with its lack of bulk, and Registeel can also beat shit like Venusaur and Escavalier which seem like annoying threats to play around w/ this team. In general, Registeel's just a more reliable Stealth Rock setter and general special check I feel if you are not using Diancie for its versatility with moves like Heal Bell. Stealth Rock / Seismic Toss / Toxic / Thunderbolt Registeel (Thunderbolt allows Registeel to beat SubBU Braviary and do more damage to bulky Water-types) seems like it would be pretty good on this team. I really like the interaction between Registeel + Slowking, almost all of my Fighting + Dark-type teams end up having this defensive backbone because it's just so helpful for them.

I'm triggered by how much you're over prepping for Malamar by using Signal Beam on Slowking. Between Diancie and Black Sludge Venusaur, and just pressuring it with offensive behemoths such as Choice Band Sawk and Choice Band Flygon, Malamar should not be a problem at all, and it's a pretty uncommon Pokemon anyways. Malamar's really not a particularly hard Pokemon to play around with this team, and the nature of Sleep Talk makes it inconsistent anyways if you somehow managed to give it a billion free turns. Definitely use Thunder Wave which interacts pretty nicely w/ the somewhat slow nature of this team. Even if you go with the Registeel change over Diancie, I still think it's a good idea to get rid of Signal Beam, but definitely get rid of Signal Beam if you continue to use Diancie.

Another change I'd recommend is Jolly on Sawk to outspeed Venusaur and LO Medicham. LO Medicham in particular seems pretty annoying as it is to any team that relies on Slowking for a Fighting-type counter, and there's no way you can really solve this issue without creating broader structural problems, so a non intrusive way to somewhat remedy this is to make it so Sawk outspeeds LO Medicham. I think you wallbreak pretty well w/ that Venusaur set and the double Choice Band + Sneasel, so I don't think losing Adamant will be too much of an issue.

Last edited:
I stole this team when it was posted and played like 400+ games with it. I used it for all voting reqs since then and ended up peaking #1 on the ladder, so it's definitely my favorite team this gen, thanks haha. Sawk is absolutely crazy strong and the rest of the team members work so well together. Here's a few changes I used though.

• Heal Bell > Toxic on Diancie: Gives the team more longevity from my experience, saved me a lot from T-wave spam too.
  • Adamant > Jolly on Flygon: A lot better than Jolly from my experience. A lot of the time my opponents didn't expect Adamant so they let their Diancie die or Alomomola get 2HKOed.
  • Slowking: Leftovers > Colbur Berry, Thunder Wave > Signal Beam: Leftovers for more longevity, even though Colbur Berry was pretty good. Thunder Wave also helped a lot since I changed Flygon's nature and it's the best move in the game.

For the slashed moves I found Earthquake to be more useful than Stone Edge on Sawk. Pursuit on Sneasel was probably my most used move. Extra damage put so much more pressure on my opponents and it also got me a ton of extra KOs on stuff like Hoopa, Slowking, Sigilyph, and weakened mons. Finally, I used Defog on Flygon the entire time to preserve Sawk's Sturdy if necessary, but I just realized today how amazing Iron Tail would be because Granbull and other Fairies are annoying. The only other thing I've noticed is that I get 6-0'd by DD Scrafty with rocks up, wasn't sure what to do there lol.

Just wanted to post what I was using and praise the team since I played so many games with it lol. This is probably one of the best ORAS RU teams imo. Thanks again for rejuvenating my interest in RU :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)