Board Game Diplomacy - Any Way You Want It

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok well due to some sketchy pre-draft instructions from Agape it was a bit difficult to figure out but these are the draft results (check #diplomacy for the full draft log):
  1. Acidphoenix [Portugal / Tunis]

2. Shubaka17 [Norway / St. Petersburg]

3. Whydon [Constantinople / Ankara]

4. Aura Guardian [Rome / Marseilles]

5. Earlio (pre-draft list) [Spain / Brest]

6. Blazade [Munich / Kiel]

7. Agape (pre-draft list) [Liverpool / Belgium]

8. Drawesome532 [Serbia / Bulgaria]

9. Hitmonleet (pre-draft list) [North Africa / Naples]

10. Jalmont [London / Edinburgh]
These are each players' home centers. I will post a map once I am settled in in a day or two but for now assume it is an extended Winter 1900 during which you can negotiate with players and send in orders to build units in each home center. Unfortunately a few players who signed up neither submitted a pre-draft list nor showed up for the draft, so those players will not be able to play in this game.

Alright uh it turns out I won't be able to make it that early on Friday so I'm going to have to make the draft sometime like 1 AM EST, please comment when the latest you can do on Friday is plus when you are free Saturday. We have enough signups that I'm probably going to say that if you can't make the draft time either submit a list with bid maximimums to me or you won't be able to play, sorry but it is obvious we won't find a time everyone can make it for and I am more than happy to simulate a draft given bid amounts for each territory if you can't make the time we agree on.

Alternatively most people (though not all) could do 8 so I can find someone else to run the draft probably if players would prefer that. The goal is really just to get the maximum number of people to be able to be online and unfortunately I can't be on all night waiting for that to happen.

I should be able to be online about 10 or 11 EST on tomorrow, for reference. If you don't comment here otherwise I will assume you are ok with this or any time Friday night. Sadly we won't be able to wait much either, I will hold a pre draft vote on North Africa then start the draft promptly at 1 AM EST (be there by 12:30 for the pre-draft vote) on Discord in the diplomacy channel for those who are there. My apologies for almost certainly not being able to include everyone but if you can't make that time you can still submit a preference bidding list and maximum bid for any number of territories and I will promise to include you.
this was the full post. i mean i read it and it bounced off me, but i asked questions in the discord

Here's what the map looks like:

1. Acidphoenix [Portugal / Tunis]
  2. Shubaka17 [Norway / St. Petersburg]
  7. Agape (pre-draft list) [Liverpool / Belgium]
Sorry for the ugly color in and the lack of names, this was just a quick sketch of what the map looks like.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Actually Agape I'll hold this to a players' vote but I am inclined to just let you pick two territories honestly, the only pick left prior to your last two picks was Hitmonleet locked into Naples and I think it is obvious you weren't going to go near Naples

Since in theory (from Agape's perspective) Hitmonleet could have contested his pick however, I'll leave the issue of whether Agape can shift his Liverpool center to a player vote. I ask that Agape, Aura Guardian, and Jalmont abstain from this vote for rather obvious reasons.

Basically while most things in the draft are fluid, the end of the draft allows one to see everything that has been picked and pick what is left over. That's why I'd be fine personally with letting Agape shift Liverpool (particularly since it would have been such a bad pick at the time he made it), but again I want player input on this.

Hawkie and The Quasar I will only be subbing players in during the first phase of the game. If you both stand by for updates (roughly this Monday night and next Thursday night, or so) for the first year, then I will sub you in if anyone fails to submit orders.

Following the first year of play there will be no substitutes, period. If someone idles I will revert to the idling rules of units support holding each other and removing units furthest from home centers, randomized in the case of a tie. Please don't idle however - it really ruins the integrity of the game.

In summary, these are the current starting positions now, and I need people to vote on whether to allow Agape to change Liverpool to a different available space (since the only pick after his Liverpool pick was always going to be Naples, and Agape imo was never going to pick Naples).

1. acidphoenix [Portugal / Tunis]
  2. shubaka17 [Norway / St. Petersburg]
  7. Agape (pre-draft list) [Liverpool (??) / Trieste]
In case this wasn't obvious, it is now Winter 1900. Apologies for not being able to upload maps yet - I am still playing with the Diplo map in the image manipulation program GIMP, but thus far am only able to alter territories on the map to colors already existing on the map (lol). I'll get better with it and figure out how to adjust things freely once I have a bit more time this weekend.

Winter 1900 will end in 59.5 hours, or at midnight EST on Monday, August 7th. I will require votes on Agape's status to be cast within the next 24 hours to be counted so that there will be sufficient time for him to make a second pick and all players to know what that pick is - Agape please submit your pick in advance to me in the event you are allowed to make a second one along with Trieste, and please no one try to influence the results. I would like players to vote in secret if possible, thanks.

i said so at the time of the draft, forcing agape to pick a dead end center to start is buns, and we should have waited until Agape and Leet got back to do their final picks, since it was just Pre Subbed. i propose that: Agape can pick a territory, and leet can feel free to counter bid it, as though they're the final two actually drafting.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Actually ya let's just finish the draft with Agape and Leet tonight, give me a time when you two could do it. Leet if you plan on buying Naples no matter what with your second pick just say so and I'll have Agape submit his picks to me separately.

Put your avail abilities tonight only in EST as soon as you see this please Hitmonleet Agape as I will be finalizing this tonight no matter what so things don't drag on and players are not kept in limbo. Deadline for Winter 1900 will remain at the stated time above

UncleSam

Leading this village
So unfortunately I can't tell whether GIMP is just a godawful image editing program or if I just need a lot more practice (or both), but I've been having a hell of a time getting it to edit the map like at all. I wasn't able to get it to add in squares / circles as I meant for Armies / Fleets AND the color editor is so godawful that Agape's territories are its' pathetic attempt to render orange. I'm going to investigate alternative map editing software for the next update but given that this is a pretty simple one I figure it's better to move the game along and just have the map stay one update behind on technical details (lol)

Builds:
Jalmont - A Lon, A Edi
Drawesome532 -A Ser, A Bul
Whydon - F Ank, F Con
Blazade - A Mun, F Kie
Aura Guardian - A Mar, A Rom
Agape - F Tri, A Lvp
Acidphoenix - F Tun, F Por
Earlio - F Bre, A Spa
Shubaka17 - F Nor, A Stp
Hitmonleet - F NaF, A Nap

'Map':
Diplo_Uncolored_Map_W1900.png

And for the last time no I have no clue why the program refuses to render Orange properly for Agape's territories.

Not that that is the worst offense of this map, just the most obvious. I officially despise the color editor in GIMP (just look at those colors god) and if Agape or anyone else who has significant image-editing experience could help me out I would appreciate it.

Anyway, I'm going to make Spring 1901 96 hours long so that I can have a bit more time to figure out the technical side, plus this is probably the best time to allow players more time to make alliances and talk to others in any case. If I receive all actions by 72 hours from now I will update anyway, since 96 hours really is too long in normal circumstances. I just want to be able to post decent maps (though of course I could always just give unit lists, but that would be an AIDS way to play this game imo). Spring 1901 will end at midnight EST on Friday, August 11th.

Also apologies to the subs, but no one idled in submitting actions.

Map looks nice, have no idea about the orange problem.

GIMP isn't the easiest program out there, but it's the most used. You could try artweaver, paint.net or commercial programs.

Are we playing Milan?

>milan
that,,, would have been a good thing for us to vote on with NaF. im gonna say No bc we should've decided beforehand and now we've gone through two phases assuming not milan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)