Does a Blue Walrus Exist? - Won by Da Letter El

Yo! I'm just some guy doing his thing and posting a walrus. This will have 9 musical categories and a video category(!). I'm not good with introductions or convincing you to join this walrus, and that's why I'm requesting submissions for these categories:

1.The Grand Beginning:Let's start off the walrus with good opening themes, shall we? I'll accept any opening theme or any song that has lyrics about a beginning.
Last Vision For Last(Hyakka Ryuoran: Samurai Girls Opening Theme)
Hellsing Opening Theme-
Ghost Trick Opening
2.My Name Is Marth, Prince of Altea: I've not gone by the username Marth for almost 6 years, yet people seem to call me that often anyway. I guess its hard to be a prince so...send me songs that you think fit royalty. It should sound regal. I am not sure what this would sound like but a write up about what you think suits the theme will probably net you more points as well.
PMD2-Temporal Tower Theme
FF6-Figaro Castle Remix

Something better than VGM would be cool, yeah.

3.Electrode, Use Sonicboom!: Your standard electronica/synth cat. Send me stuff with a lot of synths and sound effects.
Examples:
Amogh Symphony-Abolishing the Obsolete System
Mehliana-Hungry Ghost

4.Sick Bass: Send me songs with great basslines. I'm a sucker for basslines.
Examples:
Mehliana-Just Call Me Nige
Lennie Tristano-C Minor Complex
Animals As Leaders-Woven Web

5.This Song Will Create A Better Economy: Send me a song that is trying to advertise something. It could be anything, a product, a game, a movie, an ideology or even a meme. The song will be graded on musicality, subject of advertisement, and lyrical content. It needs to convince the listener to buy/accept whatever the content is.

I don't have any examples for this cat, that's why I need subs :3.

6.Did The Words Even Matter?: Send me a song that is either nihilistic or doesn't really mean anything. I will not allow instrumentals or vocals without lyrics for this cat.

Silent Hill 4-Room of Angel. Well some parts of it anyway. A lot of the lyrics do have meaningful content though.
Some slim shady songs made no sense to me the first time I heard them but most of them probably have meaning. As you can see, I'm kinda struggling with examples. OH yeah, maybe this:

Crash Test Dummies: Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm

7.No Lyrics:An easy category with an easy name. Send me a song without any lyrics. So vocals are allowed but they should be used more like an instrument.
Aziza Mustafa Zadeh-Scrapple From The Apple
Avishai Cohen-Nu Nu-
Chick Corea-Spain

8.I Scanned The Godfather: Send me a song that you think fits the theme of investigating a crime. Or maybe you listen to this while playing a mafia. Or maybe...you don't listen to music while playing tetris, do you? Any song that you listen to while solving a problem, really. I won't be accepting any themes from the Ace Attorney Series or Ghost Trick because I've heard those tracks enough to not want
to hear them.
Investigation Core 2001(AA1)
A Dashing Enigma(Ghost Trick)

9.The Unconventional: Send me a song with unconventional instruments, vocals, musicality. Really, this is a very broad definition but I want to see some bold submissions here.
10.Where Did All The Pocket Monsters Go?: This need not be a musical category. Send me clips of memorable scenes in Pokemon History. They could be from the anime, video games, or the movies, but why stop there? It could be a from a pokemon hack, or it could be a parody. Maybe it could even be a meme! All it has to do is get an emotional reaction out of me. You guys are pokemon nerds, so you shouldn't have any problems with this category. I'm going to put a time limit of 10 minutes for each sub. If you link me to a video longer than 10 minutes, then specify the time interval I need to watch between. No pander cap for this one, I hope I get some great videos.

About Me: I'm a 21 y/o all the way from India, if that's anything interesting. I play the piano so I have a slight bias to stuff with cool piano rolls but I listen to instrumental and electronica mostly. I don't like screaming or growling, so any rock/metal sub with that is going to irritate me most likely. I like lyrics if they're clever for the most part. I'm all for listening to interesting rhythms, melodies, and anything that's seen as unconventional. I like sarcasm, puns, parodies, you name it, so any song that can get me laughing would be great too. I'd rather have new subs but a great pander caps at 8. Keep it fresh, peeps! I'll let you peeps know if I've listened to your sub before.

SIGNUPS:
1.shubaka17
2.granny pie
3.KnightsofCydonia
4.Old_Gregg
5.DLE
6.Martin
7.SOL1D G0LD
8.Walrein
9.RODAN
10.Robert Alfonso
11.Steven Snype
12.Lord Gaius
13.myzozoa
14.Aladdyn
15.Nightmare(SF)
16.Zeonth
17.Lil Bean(SF)

Last edited:
Here are the reveals for Cat 1: The Grand Beginning!

In last place, we have nightmare, who forgot to sub for this cat. 0/10

But, 16th place isn't far behind.

Too Many Cooks-Adult Swim
Submitted by Solid gold
Score:1/10
This one gave me a headache. Ok so I don't really get the point of this song. It talks about too many cooks and a guy murdering them all. So what, is this about a cannibal? Anyway, if there is some musical theme behind this, I'm clearly missing it, since it lacks any direction whatsoever.

In 15th, we have:
Nichijou Opening: Hyadain no Kakakata Kataomoi-C
Submitted by RODAN
3.5/10
I didn't like this one. It sounds like your normal anime opening except it has parts that sound like a rhyme. Watching the video only made it worse for me but I'm not grading it on that. The background wasn't bad but nothing special except for a small part when it sounded like some kind of an 8bit VGM.

Number 14, we have:
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood-Chemistry: Period
Submitted by Steven Snype
4/10
I didn't dislike anything in this, but I didn't like anything either. The song just follows the boring 4 chord progression with a 4/4 rhythm and common instruments with decent singing

Number 13:
Gai Re Zero Opening
Submitted by Zeonth
4.4/10
The only thing I liked about this sub was the vocals. The rest isn't bad but I didn't find the background interesting.

Number 12:
Bone Thugs n Harmony- The Introduction
Submitted by Old_Gregg
4.8/10
OK, I'm SO GLAD THAT YOU CHANGED YOUR SUB, otherwise I'd have given you like, 1 for that. Ok this one...I didn't like it for the first one and a half minutes, really. The rap felt like someone was talking casually, which felt like noise to me. Everything after that was really great though, so many changes in the rhythm of the rap. Nice minimalist touches from almost all of the instruments. The long, weird intro really kills this one though.

Number 11:
Transparent Theme Song
Submitted by Da Letter El
5.5/10
The piano is dreamy here which I like, but that's about it. It probably needed at least one more instrument, because the piano just didn't cut it for me. Probably too relaxed for an opening theme IMO.

Number 10:
R.O.D Opening Theme
Submitted by Lord Gaius
6/10
So a blues opening, eh? That's a pretty common opening, so I didn't enjoy that much. The xylophone and saxsolo in the middle are good, but the blues riff on the guitar repeating gets boring after a while. I like the violin parts as well but the same section repeats too many times that I kinda lose interest in the song. Almost every sub after this is either short to make up for lack of variety, or it has got lots of variety, so I had to place this here.

Number 9:
Fresh Prince of Bel Air-Will Smith
Submitted by granny pie
6.3/10
Will Smith rapping, what's not to like about this? The background is catchy but not enough compared to subs after this one. Which is too bad, this probably should've been saved for the Regal category.

Number 8:
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition Opening
Submitted by Aladdyn
6.7/10
I loved this a lot. I like the xylophone...or is that a marimba? Anyway, the melody is pretty simple but the song has other aspects like the flute and the bubbling sound effects at the start. Pretty short but its nice and sweet.

Aladdyn's comments:
I enjoy the playfulness of it, really captures the spirit of the game well. And I really enjoy flutes :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)