[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
For some reason my results for the competition aren't displaying at all (ranking, total points, W-L ratio), which is weird since it shows all the battles I participated in. Any advice on this?
I think that means it disqualified you for some reason. I had a similar thing happen during the pikachu cup, and I think it was because I played battles both in the UK and in the US (was travelling that weekend).

#1 in Britain, #49 Worldwide.

Cobbled it together the night before the tournament from stuff I already had for UU/OU. Why no Clefable? Well I only had time to breed and train one of Snorlax or Clefable and I thought Snorlax was more important. I think Clefable was solid but a bit overrated, Snorlax eats it for breakfast generally. Most of my team can fight it 1v1 to some extent depending on the ability.

Machamp standard except about 60 speed EVs to creep Clefable and other stuff creeping Clefable.

Snorlax standard except a custom EV spread, no attack investment and Impish nature + some defense investment to fight physical attackers better. Immunity > Thick Fat because I didn't expect to need to take many Ice/Fire moves and thought saving turns avoiding poison was more valuable. I was right. Even if the opponent noticed the bluff, he tanks Ice Beams and Fire Blasts like nothing anyway and Arcanine is no threat to this team.

Specially defensive Slowbro was MVP. Still checks physical attackers just as well as long as you conserve it properly. I switched Scald for Psychic at the last minute, very good decision.

Standard Dragonite. Adamant with enough speed to outpace Alakazam after a Dragon Dance. Roost wasn't used much so maybe a niche move like Surf, Tailwind, Toxic, Thunder Wave, Haze etc would have been better. I think Extremespeed is mostly bad in this meta BTW, you're begging your opponent to switch in Gengar/anything bulky and status/fight you. After the Dragon Dance is still fails to K.O Jolteon and Aerodactyl anyway.

Standard Gengar. Focus Blast missed more than hit but I still think it's optimal. Destiny Bond might have worked as a surprise weapon or against noobs (not that you need help beating those), I value keeping Gengar alive though since it checks Dragonite with a burn and totally walls Chansey among other things.

Custom Zapdos. I forget the spread but some something like some speed, some special attack, max HP and some physical bulk. The only thing I'd change with hindsight is maybe Heat Wave > Roar so it can actually bother Venusaur/NidoK/NidoQ. Roar was nice as a secondary Dragonite check though because it tanks a +1 Outrage and Roars it away. Also made a nice check to SubAlakazam or any setup user really.

image.png

1695 pts.No. 471
14 Won

1 Lost

0 Tied

Did not post that right, but you get the idea. It's annoying cause my one loss was just my internet disconnecting-pretty sure I wasn't even losing the match. So yea, basically no losses, though my lesser ranking compared to many people who have already posted is because I just didn't do that many games. Cart play is slow and the battle field is boring, so it gets old fast. I prefer PS TBH.

Pinsir was a really interesting Poke. Some things it accomplished, besides the obvious rock setting, were 2HKOing Slowbro, and sometimes getting the hit with Guillotine on a stat booster, like CM Clef. EQ was really nice vs Jolteon, and apparently Mold Breaker doesn't break No Guard, which is really good. Articuno and Zapdos were great together, despite the rock weakness. Lots of PP stall between the two. Articuno has Freeze-Dry to deal with Slowbro, Seaking, and the rare Gyara, and has enough bulk to fish with a Sheer Cold vs most stuff. Zapdos had Defog to remove hazards, and the special bulk meant I could always win the stall war with Jolteon, tho it was a dangerous game with it switching and possibly switching back in for Volt Absorb.

My Snorlax was pretty normal, but really good as you'd expect. Probably the best Poke in this meta, but I'm not sure since the best part of my team was Gengar. Gengar was running a very specific EV spread and a Modest nature. SpA was only one point lower than 252 Timid, and bulk let me live some tough hits such as Max Atk Slax's Crunch, Stone Edge followed by Bullet Punch from Machamp, Jolteon's Shadow Ball even with rocks, and I think even Starmie's Psyshock, tho that's probably bulky Starmie. A big thing I EVd it for was Venu's Giga Drain, so it wouldn't break my sub very much even with 252 SpA if it didn't have a boosting nature. I could sub on it and then use Hypnosis. Even if I missed with Hypnosis it wouldn't matter cause Venu does nothing. Another big target of Hypnosis was Golem(tho I've taken out crazy many things with it. I have good luck with it hitting,) as it pd set rocks and then maybe Sucker Punch. Clef was less helpful than Gengar, but probably about as good as Slax. Healing yucky burns on Slax or Pinsir, a Toxic on Zapdos, or paralysis on anything was really helpful. She can also stop most set up sweepers. One problem I had with her was Taunt Aerodactyl, which is only 3HKOd.

Last edited:

#45 USA, 390 worldwide.

A rush job because I wasn't initially interested in this tournament, but Dragonite waved its perky Barrier ass in my face, "ooo! So tempting." Lots of stuff I was forced to roll with, like Superpower instead of Close Combat, Chip Away instead of Body Slam especially. Clefable was fantastic as always, and Machamp always wins when I play him correctly

Last edited:

#45 USA, 390 worldwide.

A rush job because I wasn't initially interested in this tournament, but Dragonite waved its perky Barrier ass in my face, "ooo! So tempting." Lots of stuff I was forced to roll with, like Superpower instead of Close Combat, Chip Away instead of Body Slam especially. Clefable was fantastic as always, and Machamp always wins when I play him correctly
Very interesting wording. I'm wondering if Barrier DNite will actually be viable in any Battle Spot meta, considering its Inner Focus. One big problem with it is that it's completely inferior to a normal DNite if you're not running a Barrier, and you can't really have that and DD(which seems better.) DNite is also held back in a Def boosting role by a giant ice weakness. I guess I just don't see it working out, does anyone else?

Very interesting wording. I'm wondering if Barrier DNite will actually be viable in any Battle Spot meta, considering its Inner Focus. One big problem with it is that it's completely inferior to a normal DNite if you're not running a Barrier, and you can't really have that and DD(which seems better.) DNite is also held back in a Def boosting role by a giant ice weakness. I guess I just don't see it working out, does anyone else?
Well, Inner Focus mons all have a niche in Doubles and Triples, because they can't be Flinched by Fake Out or Rock Slide. Barrier opens up potential for Dragonite to be a somewhat support-offense hybrid, I'd say. He get's accurate Hurricane in the rain, too, and Rain is usually a big popular force in Doubles and Triples. I say that much.

After lurking for a while, I'd like to report my team for this competition, which went 20-0.

It's a bulky offense team featuring two sturdy pokemon to stop ohko users and had two main win conditions in CM clefable and curselax. The big oddity of this team would be future sight Slowbro; it put pressure on the poison and fighting pokemon that kept my win cons from setting up. Gengar was there to mess with any support and enemy curselax, and cleaned with hex if most of the opposing team was afflicted with status. This was the best way to deal with alakazam, which was tough to deal with if Slowbro or Golem was fainted.
Following up with results. For my first serious competition, I am very happy with these results. #2 in USA, #35 overall.

Attachments

I'll post my team since I'm very happy with it, went 5-0 before I suffered disconnects. Biggest weakness is probably sub/sheer cold/attack/recovery articuno. Pretty surprised to see gengar above alakazam, and snorlax as low as 4th place.

kantocl.png

As for the comp; 32,220 participants is insane!! The biggest competition to date was the Battle of Hoenn at the start of ORAS which had ~44,000 people. In comparison, the next highest was the Pikachu Cup with 15,000, then the Generation Showdown with ~12,000, and no International Challenge (the VGC ones) has topped 10,000 (the most was the last one with around 9k, the rest have been between 5-7k). I hope TPCi take note of this and make more competitions with similar rulesets instead of these VGC clones.
Agreed. I think it just goes to show that singles is still way more popular than doubles, despite the efforts to popularize the doubles format of late.

I hope they take this as a message that they need to keep building on the 6v6 that made the series so popular and give us a singles tournament more than once every blue moon.

Of course they can still keep doing doubles tours for the VGC and every other few competitions if they deem it necessary, but in no way should doubles dominate like it has with it being the chosen format in nearly every event the last few seasons with the only exception being the Festive Feud which was triples.

It's pretty clear that the fans have spoken on which format they prefer playing on cart, and loudly.

Last edited:
Agreed. I think it just goes to show that singles is still way more popular than doubles, despite the efforts to popularize the doubles format of late.

I hope they take this as a message that they need to keep building on the 6v6 that made the series so popular and give us a singles tournament more than once every blue moon.

It's pretty clear that the fans have spoken on which format they prefer playing on cart, and loudly.
I still don't know why doubles it the official format. It's just a gimmick format like Rotation, Inverse, Triples. The Kanto Classic is the one and only official tournament I've ever entered simply because it's been the only one in singles 6v6 format and without ridiculous ubers involved.

I mean yeah cart tournaments will still be annoying if they allow stuff like Mega Kanga and Aegislash and ban legendaries that aren't overpowered, but I'll take that all day over doubles that allow ubers.

I'm honestly hoping for a 'classic series' for more regions because I can't imagine playing any other tournament format they come up with unless it enforced rules similar to smogon.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I still don't know why doubles it the official format. It's just a gimmick format like Rotation, Inverse, Triples. The Kanto Classic is the one and only official tournament I've ever entered simply because it's been the only one in singles 6v6 format and without ridiculous ubers involved.
I think the #1 reason is that it's a lot faster. 6v6 can very easily turn into stall vs stall, and at real life events, you want to keep things moving quickly. Fast battles means you can do Bo3 in certain cases as well, since TPCi recently announced that the various VGC event organizers can make their events Bo3 swiss if they wanted to.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing more online singles tournaments, or even if they created an official circuit for bring-6-pick-3 singles.

I meant wi-fi not real life, I think this Kanto Classic tournament format was really good and well thought out. Being able to carry unplayed battles to the next day is very useful. Ok lack of OHKO/sleep/evasion clause was annoying and encouraged lucksacking, but not broken.

I think what's nice is that most people have suitable pokemon lying around for 6v6 singles from their in-game or battle maison team. Because doubles is a gimmick metagame you have to prepare specifically for it if you want to enter I feel.

What are some Pokemon nobody saw at all, especially Pokemon one would expect to see after a few battles?

As I recall I did not see a single Rhydon or Electrode, though nothing I'd really expect to see.

Immagine.png

36th in Italy not bad I guess; I wanted to try out Porygon and I have to say that it came through a bunch of times expecially against phisical set-up sweeper like Dragonite and Gyarados.
However I had problems with Psyshock Alakazam, Chansey couldn't wall it, Porygon got 2hit KOed just like Weezing; Slowbro got destroyed by Shadow Ball , and Venusaur and Aerodactyl could just damage or cripple it respectively.

My Pokémon moves are:

Aerodactyl: Stealth Rock/Taunt/Aerial Ace/Stone Edge;

Venusaur: Giga Drain/Sludgebomb/Leech Seed/Sleep Powder;

Slowbro: Psychic/Scald/Thunderwave/Slack-off;

Weezing: Sludgebomb/Clear Smog/Will o Wisp/Pain Split;

Chansey: Seismic Toss/Toxic/Softboiled/Heal Bell;

Porygon: Foul Play/Discharge/Ice Beam/Recover;

Anyway it was a nice competition .

What are some Pokemon nobody saw at all, especially Pokemon one would expect to see after a few battles?

As I recall I did not see a single Rhydon or Electrode, though nothing I'd really expect to see.
I didn't see any Weezing apart from mine, which I thought was odd since Clear Smog/Taunt and WoW seemed like too good of a combination to pass up on. I did see an Electrode though, the standard Swagger/Screech/TWave stuff, nothing special about that one.

I didn't see any Weezing apart from mine, which I thought was odd since Clear Smog/Taunt and WoW seemed like too good of a combination to pass up on. I did see an Electrode though, the standard Swagger/Screech/TWave stuff, nothing special about that one.
Actually I don't think I saw a Weezing, or at least only one. Didn't see any other Punsir either, though that's understandable. I feel like I didn't see a Nidoqueen either, and no Sandslash.

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Actually I don't think I saw a Weezing, or at least only one. Didn't see any other Punsir either, though that's understandable. I feel like I didn't see a Nidoqueen either, and no Sandslash.
I saw Weezing a few times and Pinsir, Nidoqueen, and Sandslash I saw exactly once across 3 different games. The match in which I saw Pinsir almost made me cry because I misclicked Dynamic Punch with my Machamp against his Pinsir instead of the sure kill Bullet Punch and he OHKOd my 80% Machamp with Guillotine. Sandslash and Nidoqueen did virtually nothing in the matches I faced them in, they just seemed outclassed by other pokemon.

I expected to see more Dugtrio than only the mine. It was a really good revenge killer for Nidoking, Machamp, Jolteon (he survive 1 HP) and mons that was about to die with Arena Trap + 120 base speed + Fissure.

KCladder.png

Well, 1630 and Top 50 in Germany is okay I guess, but it's a bit sad to know that some battles were lost due to obvious misplays which I immediatly regretted, even for my first competition I think i could've been much higher. Also, I'm at 19-10 because strangely one (Ragequit)Disconnect from the opponent wasn't counted(I checked my connection immediately afterwards; also the message was the same as with the only other disconnect I had which was a "win" for me, and I couldn't play more matches after the, well, 29th match). Don't know what went wrong, but whatever.
Looking back, it was a good thing that I had Gengar(even if its WoW seemed to have 25% accuracy...) on my team instead of Nidoking which I originally planned to use, but I had no time left to breed one.

I actually ran into more Zards than Slowbros, few Alakazams, no Rhydons (which I feared) and only two Golems. Magneton was really good imho, but few people ran one. Weezing and Pinsir did put in pressure when I faced them, so I feel like they were kind of underrated. It was hard to fit one on my team though even if i would've liked to use either, but in combination with the other Mons I wanted to use there would've been too many holes/weaknesses to common stuff like Dactyl/Zam... Also, a Chansey lost me one match, but that was the only one I faced, maybe because stall wasn't that prominent in my matches after all.

It feels a bit strange to come back to OU/BSS (well, I'm still very new to serious competitive battling) after putting so much time into preparing a team and kind of a strategy. I hope for similar 6v6 or 3v3 single tournaments because for me personally playing on Simulator still feels weird and I prefer playing on cartridge (partially because I don't have that much free time to play, and when I play it just feels better on the "real" thing, lol). So please TPCi, give us more interesting competitions, this one was awesome :)

I didn't see Electrode, Scyther, Ditto, Moltres, Charizard, Arbok, Venomoth, Dugtrio, Dodrio, Vaporeon, Seaking, Muk, Hitmonlee, Jynx, Kabutops, Kangaskan, Persian, Mr Mime, Omastar, Raichu. Not that most of those are good at all but they have niches and it was surprising not to get a single one.

I was particularly shocked not to see a Vaporeon.

Edit: Completely forgot about Tangela! Bit annoyed with myself, could have at least considered that for my team. It has great defensive synergy with Thick Fat Snorlax for starters. Regenerator and Sleep Powder are strong assets. It could even form a Regenerator core with Slowbro.

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Kanto Classic international.jpg
Kanto Classic US results.jpg

Here's my results. Lower than usual but it's comparatively higher because of the higher participation.

Since I never got my other replays here's one against the highest ranked player (apparently ended up 3rd) I fought at 1831: KP8G-WWWW-WW3M-YB3D

I also lost to the person who got first but didn't save the replay

Last edited:
1530 points, 3 win 1 loss. Not even worthy of a screenshot.
I didn't see Electrode, Scyther, Ditto, Moltres, Charizard, Arbok, Venomoth, Dugtrio, Dodrio, Vaporeon, Seaking, Muk, Hitmonlee, Jynx, Kabutops, Kangaskan, Persian, Mr Mime, Omastar, Raichu. Not that most of those are good at all but they have niches and it was surprising not to get a single one.

I was particularly shocked not to see a Vaporeon.

Edit: Completely forgot about Tangela! Bit annoyed with myself, could have at least considered that for my team. It has great defensive synergy with Thick Fat Snorlax for starters. Regenerator and Sleep Powder are strong assets. It could even form a Regenerator core with Slowbro.
The only reason I did not run Tangela was time constraints. It looked amazing on paper.
I ran Scyther and Arbok though, my Scyther set sucked on purpose (Fury Cutter over U-Turn looooooooooooool). Arbok was my Doubles set, it Glared and Intimidated many things and was a hilariously good mon in a meta devoid of Lum berries, Steel types, and Electric types. Vaporeon is amazing, I regret running Slowbro.

Albus

The Triumphant
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Kanto Cup worldwide ranking.png

So, even if I couldn't get all of my battles done, I ended up with the fairly decent result (shown above), and bubbled out of the US' top 100 with a 104th place. In spite of all, my final result irks me because I didn't complete my Battles, had I actually had the time to battle all of my 30 battles, I'm pretty sure I would've scored a much higher place in the rankings. I'm a bit surprised about the most used 'mons' list in the comp though, I thought that Snorlax would be easily the #1 most used 'mon, with Clefable or Dragonite coming a close second behind (Not that my guess was very far from the truth though...); I never thought that Gengar would be ranked so highly as well, I thought it would bubble out of the top or something.

As of the team that I used (hail Guts Machamp) and some Battle Videos of my experiences with the comp, I kinda explained them IN THIS POST, for whoever is interested.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)