Media DRAGON BALL SUPER

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
wtf happened to zamasu's body though... lol.

looks like his body is turning pure evil or his mortal part is dying.
he did the put the ear ring on different sides thing to fuse if that's what you're referring to :0!

Edit @ below: O :oooo!

Last edited:
I will probably be in the minority here, but I'm thinking realistic: Episode 67 is rumored to be when the omni-king shows up. So obviously the fusion is not good enough (which makes sense when you consider Zamasu was immortal before fusing and is likely still immortal after fusing)- Here's where it gets sticky. How upset will people be if: 1. The Fusion only lasts one Episode, 2. The Fusion ultimately isn't enough (when it's arguably one of the strongest techniques/things a species can do). and 3. When the Omni-king ruins our fun, and Vegito's fun, by squashing Zamasu like a little bug.- I'm fully expecting this to happen, and I'll still be upset when it does.

no i'm referring to that
I'm guessing this is some reaction or alteration of form that's needed because the Vegito Super Saiyan Blue Fusion will be so strong he'll need to "upgrade" in order not to be consistently smushed, even though he's immortal.

yup

confirming dbs is awful and an insult to dragon ball. the way this episode ended is ridiculous. you can't sell us an arc with the best dbz character and what seemed to be a very interesting antagonist (it still is) to make it end the way it did. it was cringe, stupid and senseless. this episode was the last for me.

Future Trunks is my favorite character by far, but that doesn't still stop me from saying the truth.

THIS EPISODE WAS GARBAGE. WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO VEGITO THEY RETCONNED THE FUCKING NICHE OF THE POTARA FUSION INSTEAD OF COMING UP WITH SOME MAGIC REASON OR SOME SHIT THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE.

I guess legit the only thing that's good about this is that if you're technical about it Super isn't canon. I like GT more than this at least they didn't fuck up Vegeta's character for 3 arcs.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I do think Potara Fusion only lasting for an hour if you aren't a Supreme Kai is a copout retcon, yeah...

Although the reason isn't nonsense when you consider this whole arc has been about the difference between mortals and gods, so it makes sense Potara's function differently for Supreme Kais than for other beings. Also, since Vegito didn't take up an hour even though he was toying with Gohan-absorbed Super Buu in Z, that could technically also be a reason for the de-fusion other than "Majin Buu's insides are super magical." Both are BS reasons for a "permanent" fusion to end, we were just exposed to the latter one first.

But it was much more fitting for Trunks to end this arc with a Spirit Bomb infused sword, so I can deal with it. FINALLY an Arc where Trunks gets to be the final hero. Epic fatality though, using the energies in the spirit sword to dilute Zamasu's immortality to nothingness and cleave him apart from Goku Black. I don't consider it cringe, it's freaking epic and makes the Spirit Bomb an even more interesting move considering it can be channeled to kill singular immortals.

This arc would have been way worse with a Vegito curbstomp of a semi-immortal being. That would be an asspull much greater than what actually happened.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not really concerned with Potara being a retcon or not but the fact is having the Potara earrings being a permanent fusion is so much more interesting that they should have tried to preserve it. It would have raised the stakes of the beginning of the episode even further and then Zamasu could have ripped the earrings off to defuse them, being all smug about it in the process. Alternatively they could have stayed fused and got into trouble some other way (like going Kaioken now instead of earlier and crippling themselves as a result) and they could have stayed fused for a little mini arc where they're trying to live both Goku's and Vegeta's normal lives before they can find the Dragonballs and break the fusion.

I definitely agree with Trunks being the one to end everything since it was his story to begin with, but they need to hint at Trunks being able to use the Spirit Bomb at least somewhere. It was established that this Future Trunks trained with Supreme Kai (who presumably knows about it or could point Trunks in King Kai's direction), so it would have been super easy to have a quick nod back to that and the scene would have been perfect. The other issue is that the Spirit Bomb from a devastated alternate universe shouldn't be enough to kill a being far, far stronger than Kid Buu, but maybe it was enough with God ki.

The huge issue with Dragonball Super is it can't handle explanation. It either overexplains the wrong things, doesn't give enough detail to have something be consistent, or it flat out doesn't explain a god-damn thing hoping the fans come up with reasons. Dragonball Z isn't a flawless show but it was far better in this regard.

Also Zamasu really nailed the high note at the end!

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have come to expect the level of plot writing from Toriyama and the associated staff to be somewhere between "Rule of Cool" and "Wing It, Bro!"

Can't I just enjoy monkey people using energy beams and martial arts against god figures with various skin tones? Also everyone important gets to have crazy hair either in color or style.

i'm with deck knight on this one, I gave up on DBS delivering any kind of revolutionary writing or character development a while ago. trunks should have been the one to kill zamasu, and he was - and the way he did it was damn stylish. could they have retconned the potara fusion in a more graceful way? yeah, for sure, but that alone doesn't make it a bad episode

I'm pissed because unlike Z and GT they don't explain any of their power ups in this god damn arc. It goes from feeling epic to "this is cool but I'm way too fucking confused" to make it feel rewarding. Trunks is my favorite character in the series and the way he got these power ups just seems like he got plot armor ftw(!!!) instead of actually earning it. The manga is 100x better tbh and I hope they give a better explanation since the guy who watches the anime actually watches DBZ in-depth instead of just short clips....

After 20 years of knowing that those shit were permanent, I flat out REFUSE to believe what Gowasu was saying, because what Gowasu says actually takes a lot of tension out of the Buu Saga holy fuck. I'm refusing and waiting for the manga to give a not asspull reason.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What's the point of potara again when it's literally the same thing as the fusion dance ?______________?

wtf was up with trunks, what happened to only gods could harm other gods, and how the fuck did trunks go from ascended SSJ2 to fucking legendary super saiyan 2 which somehow is more powerful than super saiyan blue????? spirit bomb????? how the fuck did he learn that. Yeah this whole episode was ridiculous, also the fact that fucking vegito struggled with zamasu and yet trunks was able to "kill" him is a load of bullshit.

spoilers below
edit: and the oh so predictable ending to the trunks arc of zeno roflstomping zamasu in ep67 so we have that to look forward to at least

Last edited:
Hey guys, I came here because the "best arc" of Super pretty much ended and people hyped around Vegito. Obviously I had to check it out Episode 66 after consistently dropping the series after seeing "remember this from [insert random arc from DB or DBZ]".

Ok, there were so many possible ways Zamasu could have been defeated:
- Vegito
- Mafuba
- Zeno Button
- Spirit Bomb

Obviously, the brilliant writers know that doing the unexpected would be always the best choice and Super Saiyan Deus Ex Machina Trunks won with the power of Friendship and Hope. What a brilliant way to end an arc...

Do people really believe this bullshit of an arc by itself is better than whole GT or even any arc of Z? I would say the ending to Bio Broly made way more sense and that thing died to salt water.
Worst fanfiction I have ever seen.

But I did like the short fight with Vegito, though I am disappointed that they retconned Potara Fusion and pulled a Gogeta on him. When people spammed around "Vegito's weakness" and other clickbait bullshit I avoided, I expected at least some kind of legimate excuse why Vegito wouldn't defeat Zamasu. Kinda like how Zamasu isn't immortal in his fused form. But no, all Vegito was used for was pandering like the Mafuba. This is now the second time the Potara Fusion was completely useless.

I mean, if defusing was such an issue, they could have claimed that Future New Namek still exist (I doubt Zamasu knew about those) and it could have been used to return to their own timeline and revive Future Bulma.

Power scaling was like always out of the roof:
SSJ Deus Ex Machina Trunks > SSJGSSJ Vegito

Fuck Dragon Ball Super

Deck Knight

I don't think you can directly claim Deus Ex Trunks > Vegito Blue, rather you can say Deus Ex Trunks > Merged Zamasu after Vegito Blue kicked the shit out of him.
You could also claim that the mechanics of Spirit Sword as a technique are superior to the mechanics of Final Kamehameha as a technique.

In the episode it is clear Merged Zamasu is at best semi-immortal and is taking damage from attacks, including the ones Vegito Blue inflicted on him. Merged Zamasu still had enough power to defeat Vegeta / Goku after they de-fused, however it's been established "Super Trunks" is at least on par with Goku / Vegeta Blue.

Or it could be Power Levels are Bullshit too, but I think any argument about comparing the power levels of these characters that doesn't recognize Merged Zamasu was already badly damaged and going insane because of his mental and physical instability is not logically sound.

Yeah the whole Potara Fusion retconn was kind of eh and I guess people really wanted to see Vegito Blue kick Zamasu's ass for 30 minutes, but I thought Trunks using the "Spirit Sword" to finish off Zamasu was way cooler and much more fitting.

It just doesn't make any sense though, I'd rather Vegito have a close fight and Trunks pull that up after a few episodes of foreshadowing that Trunks has tapped into god ki and can somehow tap into spirit energy...

Foreshadowing was key to Z's insane moments and made it so hype and good. This just seems like meshy fanservice.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, wait, people are mad about a character who has constantly been seen as a light to humanity (in either sagas) finally coming to his own, as a champion that neither his father or the world could accomplish?

The same character that saved Goku from a heart condition to save his future, killed Freeza (again), and has shown signs of humanity that would make Goku look weak?

Sure, fusion retcon who gives a fuck? it's better than Buu being magic. this is basically Cell Saga except we don't know how Trunks learned Spirit Bomb. That's it. I was happy with this ending, it gave a lot of closure to a character that most of us have known for a long time. He's humanities hope, he's always been that but now it's there fully.

I don't have a problem if Trunks defeated Zamasu in itself. There was no kind of build up or explanation for him to get this significantly powerful. He created a "spirit bomb" subconsciously with the ki of about 10-50 people and base form Goku and Vegeta. It was already bad enough that he got a sudden unexplained transformation that rivals SSJB.
I wanted to watch Dragon Ball and not a Magical Girl anime or Fairy Tail where somebody gets insanely powerful just because hope or friendship.

And the retcon of potara fusion was bullshit. We already have a fusion that has a time limit and it was shown that Potara Fusion can be seperated by the Dragon Balls already so there was no need to do that. All it did was to make the stack of "permanent" fusion of the Buu Saga and Vegeta's character development (which was fucked in that episode again) pointless.
Let us also ignore that they pulled a Gogeta on the potara fusion for "using too much power" and retconning the retcon.
Also to me, Buu's magic seperating the fusion wasn't farfetched at all since Buu had a lot of overpowered abilities like absorbing people that were significantly stronger or turn people into various things like candy or clay.

Just wondering, if that was actually a spirit bomb Trunks used and that on purpose (which there was no hint that he could), who could have caught him that move? King Kai? Goku?

Flamer made me realize something, and that it's also a retcon that SSjB even DRAINS your power significantly. The actual point of SSjB is ki CONTROL, it doesn't drain your power because when you're in SSjB you've basically mastered ki control. So how does two people who are proficient in a form that's based on ki control completely drain them of power? The whole point is that it's completely different than Ssj3 wtf.

Deck Knight

Are people still wondering why Future Trunks is so powerful this arc? His backstory is that he defeated Babadi and Dabura, in the course of that struggle unlocking Super Saiyan 2. He's also gotten numerous Zenkai boosts from being thrashed by Black. Whereas Z's Future Trunks was a neophyte, this Future Trunks is battle tested, trained by the Supreme Kais, and generally speaking has an arsenal attacks almost the same size as Cell's (Masenko, Gallick Gun, Kamehameha, he also picked up the Mafuba almost instantly.) He's a prodigy, which I guess in some sense makes him a Mary Sue but the fact is Trunks has supporting evidence to be a quick learner, to be able to piece together techniques quickly, and to be able to adapt to whatever a situation demands.

Heck, even in Z Trunks knew about the Spirit Bomb (of it, not how to do it) considering he had researched Goku thoroughly, that's why he knew Goku would die of a heart attack and it's why he intervened with the heart medicine. Bottom line is that this Trunks is battle tested, knowledgable, and when his rage breaks he seems to gather energy from around him naturally anyway rather than further transform.

Don't get me wrong, all that energy gathering to enhance Trunks' sword in the finale was in many ways a plot-powered buff, but as far as knowing of / about the spirit bomb and having requisite skill to us it, that should not be an issue for Trunks.

There are two flaws with that. The first thing, Vegeta knows about the Spirit Bomb as well but can't use it. How can Trunks know how to use a technique he didn't even see in practice? Can Frieza use the Spirit Bomb too? He is a "prodigy" after all.
Masenko can be justified since Gohan was Trunks' master and Garlic Gun and Final Flash obviously because he trained an entire year with Vegeta. I can even buy Trunks using Mafuba (even if that was fanfiction bullshit) because he saw how to use that. I can buy him using Kamehameha and at most Instant Transmission because he fought Black.
The Kamehameha is a basic energy beam that almost every character in the series learned without much effort so there is no complains from me on that regard.

Secondly, let me address the Zenkai argument everyone is using to justify Trunks getting consistently stronger but not Goku and Vegeta who are also Saiyans. When Trunks came to Goku's timeline, he was about his SSJ2 level. That was the only time you can actually justify a massive Zenkai boost at most because it lasted for an entire year. When Trunks went back in time, confronting Black who revealed his newly revealed SSJ recolor, he tanked a blast that knocked out SSJB Goku. Ever since then, he got unexplained power boost that you can't justify with simply Zenkai as Goku and Vegeta didn't get such significant boost. Yes, Vegeta got on par with Black from being trashed in his base form, but then he had to train in the HTC to "surpass" him.
When Goku and Vegeta came back for the last confrontation, Trunks already wasted his full power on both Black and Zamasu and barely damaged them. And you want me to believe he got a sudden "Zenkai" that lets him get on par or even surpass a Potara Fusion which is a Ki times Ki multiplier?

Also I want to mention something to the prodigy part. Until Super, we didn't have any hint of Trunks being a prodicy at all. He was shown to be an unexperience fighter that was at most on par with the other Saiyans and actually worked for his power. Now he gets deus ex machina boosts out the ass just because. The only character that was shown to be a prodigy in the entire android arc was Gohan and Goku that rivaled Cell's final form in a shorter period of time.
Now Trunks can get stronger than Goku and Vegeta that were trained by the mentor of the God of Destruction.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Yall do too much whining and try to sound too smart for your own good. The episode was very entertaining, the voice acting, the fight animation and choreography were ridiculously good and if you stop nitpicking for a minute youll appreciate it much more.

Lol at whoever said Trunks isnt a prodigy tho. Wanna know why Gohan was considered the fighter with the most potential? Its not because hes Gokus son. Its because he is half human rather than full saiyan. The human emotions give a half saiyan much more hidden power than a full saiyan would have. Guess what, Trunks is half human too!

There is absolutely 0 implications that Trunks was a prodigy. Trunks struggled like hell for almost the entire series and even with more training than teen Gohan and more rage he couldn't beat Cell. It was never in Trunks character to get rage boosts, it's actually just Gohan not even Goten and kid Trunks who actually were prodigies. It's honestly bad writing.

Even if you ignore the retcons I was also mad at the episode because there was some levels of bullshit as to how Vegito is fucking weaker than Goku, how did Vegito do jack shit with the final kamehameha while Goku weakened the hell out of him and magically destabilized him, (we never got any explanation as to how that ring actually mattered)

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because the future zamsu (who is Goku Black) would disappear as his past self was killed. the ring let's him exist

Last edited:
The last episode left some mixed feelings on me. It was not bad, it had some really good moments, but I think it was the weakest in the saga.

It left me the feeling that both Merged Zamasu and Vegito were wasted. The 'retcon' on the Potara Earrings at least makes sense compared to how Vegito defused in the Buu Saga (although it leaves a huge question in how does Gowasu know this piece of information?), and the extremely early defuse was a reference to Gogeta SSJ4 vs Omega Shenron... but it felt forced just to make Trunks have his moment of awesome.

Meanwhile, Merged Zamasu should have lasted more than a pair of episodes IMO. I'd have skipped the entire second battle in the future (as good as it was) as to give the final battle (namely Vegito vs. Merged Zamasu) more epicness.

And I'm not buying his cries about how he was forced to become a monster just in name of his 'justice'.

Yall do too much whining and try to sound too smart for your own good. The episode was very entertaining, the voice acting, the fight animation and choreography were ridiculously good and if you stop nitpicking for a minute youll appreciate it much more.

Lol at whoever said Trunks isnt a prodigy tho. Wanna know why Gohan was considered the fighter with the most potential? Its not because hes Gokus son. Its because he is half human rather than full saiyan. The human emotions give a half saiyan much more hidden power than a full saiyan would have. Guess what, Trunks is half human too!
Who is nitpicking here? There are serious flaws in this episode that pretty much hurt the entire plot. Yes, the fights were great, even the one with Trunks and Zamasu, but should I just give it a pass just because of few good looking scenes?
If I were to watch a Magical Girl anime, yes, that would have been a satisfying ending. But Dragon Ball Super isn't a Magical Girl anime, or is it?

Gohan wasn't considered a fighter and the reason he gets so powerful is a unique character trait exclusive to him. He was the only character in the entire series that has this insane power stored inside him that not even Elder Guru could fully awaken. The only time Gohan got access to a portion of his immense power was when he was enraged and full access after Elder Kaioshin awakened it. He was the only character that got stronger when he was angry until BoG came out.
Both Trunks and Goten didn't have those traits. Yes, Trunks and Goten from the Buu Saga are prodogies since they are able to turn SSJ just because and could reach SSJ3 as Gotenks within a few weeks, Future Trunks had nothing specificly indicating that he could unlock an immense power without training. The entire android saga should be more than enough supporting my argument.

Because the future zamsu (who is Goku Black) would disappear as his past self was killed. the ring let's him exist
According to Zamasu (who is Black), he is the Zamasu that got killed by Bills and not Future Zamasu... That explains why the actual Future Zamasu is alive. But that bring up a whole other questions that don't make sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)