Dual Terrain HO

Looking to get some feedback on this team before diving into a full build - It has done pretty well on the limited ladder time so far (got up to around 1450 with a 2-1 W/L ratio) it has holes for sure and is pretty heavily reliant on prediction but its a lot of fun to play!

I wanted to build around Pheromosa as it has a lot of damage output and puts tons of pressure on the opposing team. I wanted to explore the potential for isolating Pheromosa versus a single opponent either via fake-out or sky drop as Pheromosa really shines in a singles setting. After trying out A-Persian (too little offensive presence), Salazzle (too frail), Dragonite (too slow), A-Raichu (too frail), and Togedemaru (too slow/little offensive presence) on various teams I finally settled on Tapu Koko as a strong lead partner for this set-up due to its access to sky drop, roar (TR makes for a bad day), and powerful STAB attacks which work well against everything but ground which Pheromosa deals with very well generally.

From here I added Tapu Lele who also has great synergy with Pheromosa due to its priority nullification and special wallbreaking capabilities. The ability to switch in on fake-out TR teams and OHKO (Porygon2/Oranguru) or Phase (Mimikyu) the setter is very valuable for this team as TR is very difficult to play around with any HO build.

My next concern with building was opposing weather as speed abusers outspeed the team and can wreak havoc. Sand/Hail weren't strong options due to Pheromosa's sash and I think it is hard to abuse sun without a team dedicated to it so I went with Rain. I went back and forth between Politoed and Pelipper and both had merit. A perish song Politoed interested me but I found it VERY situational and the added bulk didn't help much when I wasn't picking up KOs with the frog. I went with Pelipper for the higher damage output and access to tailwind which also frustrates this team considerably.

At this point I wanted to add complimentary pokemon to address some team weaknesses and give myself a few extra modes. I felt Kartana was an obvious choice due to the presence of rain on the team its hyper offensive nature and because I honestly feel that it is one of the best mons in the meta due to its great coverage. The other slot took some additional time to iron out. Initially, I wanted to get an intimidater onto the team so I tried Salamence/Krookodile but both never seemed to get selected at team preview. I tried to bring back Dragonite (mostly due to Hurricane/Thunder and multiscale) but a special dragonite had very disappointing damage output. I ended up going with A-Raichu due to amazing synergy with Lele/Koko and great supporting moves (fake out/encore) which the team could potentially use in certain situations.

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Naughty Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Standard physical Pheromosa with a couple key changes - Naughty nature over Adamant to maintain special attack for Ice Beam against Garchomp (see calcs below) while not losing physical bulk to take EQ/Rock Slide. The lower speed allows you to outslow Koko which can be very handy for sky drop as it lets you get an attack in after Koko drops the opponent. Always keep an odd HP stat on Pheromosa so you can miss two HJKs (if it comes to that) without dying to recoil. Without LO Pheromosa misses out on several key KOs so it relies on prior damage, focus sash, and protect to position itself correctly. Using a Z-move or LO puts Pheromosa at high risk of dying to scarfed mons which are a huge threat to the team

Offensive:
0 SpA Pheromosa Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 204-240 (111.4 - 131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 244 HP / 92 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 168-198 (87.9 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 228 HP / 52 Def Gigalith: 194-230 (102.6 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Pheromosa Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 184-220 (103.9 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 28 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 204-240 (117.2 - 137.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive:
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa: 67-79 (45.5 - 53.7%) -- 43.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa: 68-80 (46.2 - 54.4%) -- 55.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Krookodile Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa: 69-82 (46.9 - 55.7%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 68 HP / 116 Def / 72 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sky Drop
- Wild Charge
- Roar
- Taunt / Protect

A very odd physical support Tapu Koko set that serves to disrupt the opponent. Sky drop is a very interesting move mechanic wise as it prevents an opponent from attacking that turn in much the same way fake out does with a few added benefits at the cost of priority. Sky drop also eases the prediction mind games by essentially eliminating a threat for a turn ensuring that Pheromosa will land an attack. Sky drop also allows Pheromosa to bypass Follow Me shenanigans and can really disrupt gimmick teams. Given that this is a support set - physical Koko works fine as you are not missing out on coverage and a (more) powerful wild charge is very useful compared to thunderbolt. Roar allows you to phase TR setters and should almost always be used as taunt is unreliable due to mental herb. The EV spread maximizes bulk allowing it to support the team as long as possible while attack investment has not been necessary with the given attacks to score vital KOs (see calcs below)

Offensive:
0 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Drifblim: 278-330 (123.5 - 146.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz in Electric Terrain: 236-278 (109.2 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 164 HP / 92 Def Tapu Lele in Electric Terrain: 187-222 (112.6 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Tapu Fini: 182-216 (102.8 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive:
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 68 HP / 116 Def Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 128-152 (83.1 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Pheromosa Poison Jab vs. 68 HP / 116 Def Tapu Koko: 104-124 (67.5 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 164 HP / 92 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt

A very standard EV spread for a Tapu Lele - I opted for Specs+Modest for maximum damage output but I feel there is a ton of room for optimization here. Thunderbolt over Energy Ball/HP Fire to help deal with Gyarados as opposed to Gastrodon (Kartana counters this) and Kartana (who outspeeds and OHKOs). Mostly on the team to provide damage output and switch terrain when necessary to support Pheromosa/Raichu.

Offensive:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Arcanine in Psychic Terrain: 226-267 (114.7 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 160-190 (109.5 - 130.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 192-228 (104.9 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 164 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele in Electric Terrain: 136-162 (81.9 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Muk-Alola Poison Jab vs. 164 HP / 92 Def Tapu Lele: 146-174 (87.9 - 104.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Pelipper @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind

Rain setter for the team to reverse Sun/Hail teams - Scarf tailwind allows me to get my own tailwind up against Lele/Drifblim combination which is growing in popularity and puts Kartana and my own Lele in much better positions to threaten the opposing team - Ice Beam allows me to outspeed and OHKO non-scarfed Garchomp, hydro pump will take out any non-AV Arcanine in the rain as well as non-scarfed Nihilego. Scald gives me a more secure option against offensive Arcanine and A-Marowak (whom this team loathes). Hurricane gives me an option to hit bulky waters and get possible confusion but is rarely used.

Offensive:
252+ SpA Pelipper Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 208-248 (113.6 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Arcanine in Rain: 206-246 (104.5 - 124.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego in Rain: 200-236 (108.1 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pelipper Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola in Rain: 218-260 (130.5 - 155.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive:
lol

Kartana @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 172 Atk / 84 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Night Slash
- Sacred Sword

Assault vest Kartana is very difficult to deal with when it has rain support. The move set allows you to hit anything for neutral damage and most things for super effective damage. This set also works well under tailwind and with sky drop from Koko to pick up KOs and subsequent boosts. It is a solid switch in to opposing scarf Kartana who will rarely opt for Sacred Sword. The EV spreads maximize speed and special bulk while securing a KO on standard Tapu Lele as shown in the calcs below. This pokemon is very easy to splash on basically any team and I would never team build without accounting for it due to its variety of sets and threatening presence.

Offensive:
172 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 164 HP / 92 Def Tapu Lele: 168-198 (101.2 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
172 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 20 Def Tapu Fini: 164-194 (92.6 - 109.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Defensive:
4 SpA Celesteela Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 84 SpD Assault Vest Kartana in Rain: 92-112 (68.6 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana in Rain: 60-72 (44.7 - 53.7%) -- 18.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Salamence Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 84 SpD Assault Vest Kartana in Rain: 116-140 (86.5 - 104.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 84 SpD Assault Vest Kartana in Rain: 96-116 (71.6 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Raichu-Alola @ Psychium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Fake Out
- Protect / Encore

Alolan Raichu has great synergy with the team due to its benefit from both Psychic and Electric terrains. Surge surfer gives me a way to outspeed Swift Swim teams and wreak havoc on them in addition to outspeeding basically the entire meta. Koko and Raichu lead switching Lele in for Koko allows for a terrain boosted Shattered Psyche with what amounts to priority due to the combined effects of the two terrains. This generally allows an easy kill early in the game and puts the opponent in a very difficult spot. I have preferred protect over encore due to Raichu's frailty preventing adequate use of Encore but I need to experiment more with this to be honest.

Offensive:
252 SpA Raichu-Alola Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp in Psychic Terrain: 205-243 (112 - 132.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Raichu-Alola Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Arcanine in Psychic Terrain: 217-256 (110.1 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Raichu-Alola Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 153-181 (104.7 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Raichu-Alola Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola in Psychic Terrain: 219-258 (131.1 - 154.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive:
Also, lol

Some major threats to the team from playtesting include scarfed mons (notably Kartana and Nihilego) and opposing Pheromosa who can outspeed and deal large damage. Alolan Marowak can be difficult to play around as can Celesteela depending on the overall matchup as the team cannot reliable counter both. Opposing tailwind can force strategies (Scarf tailwind and Raichu) which are easy to exploit. Sash Ninetales can break Pheromosa's sash and threaten a large portion of the team with Blizzard/Freeze Dry. A well-played Mimikyu is always a threat to fast teams reliant on stopping trick room as it can be a guessing game between setting up TR and attacking.

Pheromosa Sweep - Shows how prediction heavy the team can be and how everything goes right basically
Opposing Tailwind - Shows how the team deals with opposing tailwind including the issue with 0 atk Koko (can't KO Lele) and scarf Pelipper (locked into Tailwind)
Opposing Trick Room - Not the smoothest operation on my part but enough against a TR team to win in the end
Opposing Offense - Getting blown back by opposing offense

Ultimately, I think it is a fun team moreso than a super competitive one at the moment but I am interested in using it on cart and would love some feedback to improve it going forward. Thanks a ton!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)