Dugtrio (Revamp) [QC 1/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd just like to say I take back the thing about dropped IVs. It's really nice to be able to live weak special hits after SR (it's come in handy a few times for me recently) and just makes it all around more efficient at trapping if you don't do it.

Overview
This needs a little bit of work because it's vague in some parts and missing a few things. The first bullet point should just be combined with the second because they both go into what Dutrio traps. Add in on the fourth bullet point how low bulk means it relies on a Focus Sash to switch in and trap any threat reliably, making Defog, Rapid Spin, or Magic Bounce a necessity. The last bullet just seems pointless to mention; it doesn't really tell the reader anything about what Dugtrio does, rather it just seems to be there to fill up space. Highlight how Dugtrio comes with an opportunity cost of using your Ground-type slot, which is pretty significant because it offers no defensive synergy unlike Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Hippowdon, Garchomp, Excadrill, etc. Also worth noting that Dugtrio is matchup based by nature, so it can be deadweight in quite a few games and again, this overlaps with the issue of using it over another Ground-type.

Moves
Slash Toxic here instead of leaving it in other options. The last slot is filler either way, and crippling a bulky Water- or Ground-type after Dugtrio successfully trapped a Pokemon can be more valuable than Memento or Stealth Rock. I don't really like the whole statement of Screech letting Dugtrio eliminate Clefable, because usually what happens is: Dugtrio uses Screech, Clefable attacks Dugtrio, then the following turn Clefable KOes you and it takes like 74% max from Earthquake (and even less if it's Bold Clefable), so just don't mention that it lets Dugtrio trap it.

Set Details
Just max out Dugtrio's IVs, no real point in reducing them because taking weak attacks is useful if Dugtrio gets its Sash broken by Stealth Rock or whatever form of chip. Also super minor, but Dugtrio with 23 HP IVs still reaches 200 base Power Reversal if it's hit by two Seismic Tosses.

Usage Tips
The first line of usage tips belongs in team options, it doesn't tell the reader how to use it. For the third line you can go a step further and say that you shouldn't hard switch Dugtrio into the likes of Heatran, because there's a 30% chance that Dugtrio will just get knocked out. I don't really understand what the fourth bullet is trying to say, it just seems like filler that doesn't add anything to how you'd play Dugtrio. Remove it. Rephrase the last line so it sounds a bit better to something like "Try to avoid bringing Dugtrio in if hazards are still up, otherwise it cannot be brought down to its Sash and therefore won't be able to take advantage of a full power Reversal."

Team Options
  • Volcarona, Serperior, appreciate the removal of Heatran if running HP ground, because they are walled by Heatran as Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss.
I'm pretty sure you mean if they aren't running Hidden Power Ground, either way, why would you mention Mega Venusaur or Amoonguss here? Dugtrio doesn't trap them at all and Volcarona just blows past them anyways. Remove that last bit.
Give some examples of Rapid Spin and Defog users that you pair with Dugtrio, stuff like Starmie, Latios, Zapdos, etc. Also give a brief mention that it's very useful on Stall teams due to its ability to trap and eliminate quite a few stallbreakers; Pokemon such as Choice Band Tyranitar, Heatran, Mega Gardevoir, etc. Also traps Chansey, which is quite an advantage in stall mirror matches.

Other Options
Aerial Ace should be mentioned here for doing heavy damage to Mega Heracross, can also trap Breloom if Dugtrio's Sash is still intact. Pursuit is not really a good option, just remove it.

Checks and Counters
Add in a line before the sections saying something along the lines of Arena Trap makes it so you cannot deal with it after it traps a target, but there are many ways to take advantage of it afterwards. In general though, each sections needs to be more in-depth, it shouldn't just mention what Pokemon counter it without some reasoning why, so be sure to add that in for the writeup.

edit: oh wow I forgot say after you implement all of this, consider this 2/3

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Reading Hootie's check over again I see it mentions 23 HP IVs for Seismic Toss; I did a 1-minute test on the damage calc just now, and according to it the absolute maximum HP IVs you need to get a 200 BP reversal after 2 Seismic Tosses is 28 HP:
Look at BP values

252 Atk 8/208 HP Dugtrio Reversal (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 444-524 (138.3 - 163.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk 9/209 HP Dugtrio Reversal (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 334-394 (104 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
If this is a bug with the calc please say, but if not then it's worth considering making that the HP IV (although running 27 is probably better to reduce Spikes damage).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)