SM OU Duo STAB everything

Hi people,

so I've been getting into competitive mons a bit more recently and I want to present my team that got me over 1500 for the first time, as this is basically my only really successful team so far. That said, I'm still not that experienced and haven't ventured too far up the ladder, so there might be some things I overlooked here. This team has no set up moves and no recovery moves except for Leech seed and Leftovers, but every mon has STAB for both typings. So without further ado, let's talk about these mons:

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

My first thought was, that I wanted to build a team around Ash-Gren, so I started from there. Specs Ash-Gren is pretty standard, but I put Ice Beam on this one to deal with stuff like Zygarde, Tangrowth, Venusaur a bit better while also being able to instantly get rid of 4-times weaks like Lando and Chomp.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Nature's Madness

I really like Fini on this team, as Misty Surge is super good for keeping your threats out of status trouble. This set is my Ash-Gren counter and having Nature's Madness allows me to hit bulky stuff on the switch, which is pretty nice. Scald is also always a plus to have.

Heatran @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Overheat

So this Heatran is my Celesteela and Magearna counter as long as the latter doesn't run Z-Fighting. I was debating running Volcarona over Tran just because of Mag, but then again Heatran fits this team better with its typing. Assault Vest + Earth Power allows it to OHKO other Heatrans while living their Earth Power, and Overheat is very nice when your opponent expects to be able to eat another hit after switching into Plume.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Toxic

This Ferrothorn is great. I love having Helmet + Barbs to switch into U-Turns and having Leech + Toxic on this allows it to 1v1 other mons, especially ones that want to set up on you without clicking an attack. I needed Power Whip over Spikes on this because my team otherwise gets 6-0ed by Swampert on rain teams.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

At first I ran bulk and Rockium-Z (for Zard-Y) on my Lando and then I thought what's the point when everything just outspeeds you and kills you with HP Ice (or just Fire move in case of Zard). So I put speed on this and changed it to STAB-Z-move, therefore now I can get up rocks against a lot of stuff without dying first and chip away with U-Turn without getting punished too hard. I also felt like Skystrike hits a lot more targets than Continental, but I'm not quite sure yet on which Z-Move I like better.

Medicham-Mega (F) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Finally, Mega-Medicham just brings the physical offensive power I needed to this team. During the very shirt lived phase of Marshadow in OU I ran Mega-Lopunny in this slot, which also had the added benefit of being able to hit Mega-Sableye. But since Marshadow got banned and Fini actually deals pretty well with Sableye, I went back to this, as it has a little more oomph and is actually able to deal with Toxapex by clicking Zen Headbutt and 2 hit KO almost anything, especially Celesteela (fuck that mon), by clicking HJK.

Alright so what do you think? This team has trouble with Rain, Stall and Zard-Y + Dug teams, and since those are pretty common higher up the ladder, I'm not quite sure how far this team can take me. On the other hand, every mon is very solid and holds his own, and Medicham + Ash-Gren is just so damn strong in the late game that this team has gotten me a lot of games. Would be really interested to hear your opinions!

Last edited:
Pretty nice team, but some of you're EV spreads aren't very optimal. You should check out the Smogon Pokedex for future sets. http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/
A thing I notice was the Mega Pinsir (if running Close Combat, though very rare over eq) does a number to your team if Lando-T is knocked out. So I recommend you running the bulky version of Lando-T.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn

It'll be a better pivot and it won't let Zygarde set up on your Lando-T.

Seeing how Zard Y Volcarona and Zard X seem live a huge problem to the team, you should run a scarfer over base speed over 100.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail / Hidden Power [Ice] / Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw / Outrage

You might be wondering what the second move slot is for. It so you won't be walled by Lando-T (Not Fire Blast). Scarf Garchomp would replace Heatran. Heatran would let them set up on him.

You should change your Tapu Fini set to something that can better deal with stall.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

From this set you'll be fast enough to stall (except Dugtrio). If you use Scarf Garchomp set, don't use a dragon move while Misty Terrain is up.

Lastly is to change your Ferrothorn set, hazards are very important in the meta moving 3HKOs to 2HKOs and 2HKOs to OHKOs.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

You don't really need dual stab for every mon on your team, coverage is preferred over STAB at times.

Alright, I'll definitely try this out! I have 2 questions though: With your recommendations, I'd have no Z-Move on my team. Is that fine or am I losing too much power? And secondly, what's your reasoning for Knock over Gyro on Ferrothorn? Is that just to knock off stall mons? Because I feel like it allows Bulu to set up an SD, and Bulu kinda destroys me after your changes, since Ferro is my only Wood Hammer switch in.
Thanks for taking the time :)

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Alright, I'll definitely try this out! I have 2 questions though: With your recommendations, I'd have no Z-Move on my team. Is that fine or am I losing too much power? And secondly, what's your reasoning for Knock over Gyro on Ferrothorn? Is that just to knock off stall mons? Because I feel like it allows Bulu to set up an SD, and Bulu kinda destroys me after your changes, since Ferro is my only Wood Hammer switch in.
It's fine to not have a Z-move. There are many teams that don't.
As for Knock over Gyro, I believe the reason behind the rater's decision is because it gives Ferrothorn maximum utility. There aren't really any Bulu switch-ins in general outside of Tangrowth, so it's honestly best to prevent it from coming in and when it does, pick a sack and revenge it. That being said, Gyro isn't necessarily bad on Ferro either.

Seeing how Bulu either runs Z Grass or Z Fighting there's a chance it'll just OHKO Ferrothorn. If Bulu is such a problem and Gren is knocked out you can opt for Poison Jab on the Secondary Move slot for Garchomp. It'll always out speed Bulu and revenge kill it.

It's fine to not have a Z-move. There are many teams that don't.
As for Knock over Gyro, I believe the reason behind the rater's decision is because it gives Ferrothorn maximum utility. There aren't really any Bulu switch-ins in general outside of Tangrowth, so it's honestly best to prevent it from coming in and when it does, pick a sack and revenge it. That being said, Gyro isn't necessarily bad on Ferro either.
If he decides for Gyro over Knock then a SpD nature is used. But Knock is for Utility, allowing Ferrothorn to removing Leftovers, Choice items or Assault Vest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)