Entei [QC 2/3] [Not Written]

"Burn the world. Burn it all."
QC Checks: SmashBrosBrawl / - / -
GP Checks: -

[OVERVIEW]

* Entei is a powerful but predictable wallbreaker that can plow through common defensive measures while still cleaning up against offense.
* Being in a tier with Infernape and Volcanion, Entei carves a niche for itself through unique access to Sacred Fire as a primary STAB while still having incredible late-game cleaning potential.
* Entei is also quite bulky for being an offenive threat, and is the bulkiest Physical Fire-Type in UnderUsed.
* However, as a pure Fire-Type, Entei is vulnerable to all forms of Entry Hazards, losing a quarter of its health to Stealth Rocks alone.
* Additionally, Entei has no real way to recover health, leaving it prone to wearing down.
* On top of that, it has a very shallow movepool, leaving it with very few viable sets to run, though it should not be underestimated in that role.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Sacred Fire
move 2: Extreme Speed
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Flare Blitz
item: Choice Band
ability: Pressure
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Sacred Fire is the Entei's primary STAB attack, and has almost no drawbacks bar a slightly less than perfect accuracy. Additionally, it has an incredible 50% chance to burn a target. However, it has only 8 PP, making it prone to running out quickly.
* Extreme Speed is a great priority move that allows Entei to pick off weakened threats and even potentially clean late-game after the opposing team has taken enough of a beating.
* Stone Edge is a way to hit opposing Pokemon that would otherwise resist Sacred Fire, such as Chandelure and Mega Aerodactyl.
* Flare Blitz is secondary STAB that provides slightly more power at the expense of some health, while also covering for Sacred Fire's low PP.

Set Details
========

* Entei is forced to run an Adamant nature due to Flare Blitz and Extreme Speed being event moves.
* Maximum attack is used for highest damage output, while the remaining EVs are placed into Speed to outpace Positive-natured Base 86s and below.
* Choice Band is optimal to maximize Entei's damage output, as otherwise it tends to fall flat in regards to other wallbreakers.

Usage Tips
========

* Overall, Entei should be used to break walls against bulkier teams, while using Extreme Speed to pick off faster offensive teams.
* Early-Game, it should use Sacred Fire to spread burns and wear on walls, while Flare Blitz can be used for Late-Game cleaning as it can punch through the previously weakened walls.
* Entei forces switches from a good portion of the tier, so one can use this to gain momentum by switching or simply denting an incoming wall.
* It also has decent defensive stats for an offensive Pokemon, and thus can use choice-locked or resisted hits to come in safely and do damage.
* Extreme Speed can pick off weakened foes that would otherwise outspeed Entei, such as Crobat and Latias.
* It can check Faeries such as Togekiss in a pinch, but must beware of Thunder Wave as it cuts Entei's already-poor speed even further.

Team Options
========

* Being a pure Fire-type, Entei is worn down very quickly through entry hazards, especially Stealth Rocks, so Hazard Removal such as Starmie and Latias pair well with it as Entei beats Grass and Bug-Types for Starmie, and Steel and Fairy-Types for Latias.
* Bulky Waters prove a solid check or even counter to Entei, so something that can handle them quickly such as Roserade is useful to have.
* Pokemon like Krookodile that can help out with Rock-Types such as Mega Aerodactyl work well.
* Special Wallbreakers such as Hydreigon and Mega Pidgeot can partner well with Entei as they can break through the few physically-oriented walls that would otherwise stop Entei in its tracks.
* Spikes support and Hazard Stacking in general can allow Entei to 2HKO some Pokemon that would otherwise be completely out of reach, so Roserade again is a solid partner.
* Pokemon that appreciate having Entei wallbreak and remove defensive walls such as Amoonguss entirely pair well in the late-game.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Entei can run Sleep Talk to absorb sleep from Amoonguss and still be effective, and even more difficult to switch into as it becomes unpredictable.
* Flame Charge is an incredibly niche option that nonetheless allows Entei to patch up a middling speed stat, though it is weak and should use either Firium-Z or Charcoal to boost damage output and turn it into a more effective cleaner.
* With a Liechi Berry and Natural Gift, Entei can lure in and do massive amounts of damage to Swampert, outright OHKO'ing sets without a large Defence investment.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Hazards**: Entei is already prone to wearing down, and Entry Hazards will greatly speed up this process as it is prone to all forms of hazards.

**Bulky Waters**: Suicune, Alomomola, and Swampert all shrug off Entei's stabs and can either heal off the damage or just retaliate with a super-effective move in return.

**Revenge Killiers**: The likes of Mega Aerodactyl, Krookodile, and Terrakion can all revenge kill Entei, though none can reliably switch in due to Sacred Fire's burn chance.

**Faster Fire Resists**: Pokemon such as Latias can comfortably switch in on Entei's STABs and OHKO after any chip at all, but must beware of Extreme Speed.

**Ground Types**: Ground types in general are bulky enough to survive a hit from any single one of Entei's hits and do large amounts of damage in kind, though some must be wary of burns. Hippowdon and Gliscor in particular stand out, with Hippowdon taking little damage from any of Entei's attacks and Gliscor being unable to be burned and likely outspeeding.

**Rock Types**: Aerodactyl and Gigalith can just about freely come in on almost all of Entei's attacks, though Aerodactyl must be wary of burns and Stone Edge as the former cripples it and the latter does massive damage.

Last edited:
Fix the formatting in the checks and counters area so that it looks like this.

In the introduction, you should probably mention the burn nerf hindering its ability to wear down its checks with Sacred Fire burns. Remove Flash Fire from Checks and Counters imo, nothing that carries it is a check to Entei.

Also, Group Firium-Z with Flame Charge where you mentioned it, without a boosting item Entei's power is underwhelming.

e: Snorlax doesn't run rest or Thick Fat anymore iirc, (it uses Recycle-Berry to get back health) so it doesn't want to get burnt at all.

Last edited:
Fix the formatting in the checks and counters area so that it looks like this.

In the introduction, you should probably mention the burn nerf hindering its ability to wear down its checks with Sacred Fire burns. Remove Flash Fire from Checks and Counters imo, nothing that carries it is a check to Entei.

Also, Group Firium-Z with Flame Charge where you mentioned it, without a boosting item Entei's power is underwhelming.

e: Snorlax doesn't run rest anymore iirc, (it uses Recycle-Berry to get back health) so it doesn't want to get burnt at all.
If qc says do any of this, I'll do it, bar the Cnc because that got messed in my text editor.

Also putting this up for qc since I got confirmation

"Special Wallbreakers can partner well with Entei" such as?

Latias isnt a good example of a stone edge target, mention things like volcanion, mega aero or chandelure.

Sleep Talk isnt a "set" its just something you could run over flare blitz if you really hate amoonguss. You could just mention it on moves instead of oo.

On c&c Id mention terrakion over shark as a revenge killer since it doesnt get dicked by extremespeed and hippo over pert on ground types since the latter is already mentioned on waters.

Finally, do everything virizain said. QC:1/3

Last edited:
"Special Wallbreakers can partner well with Entei" such as?

Latias isnt a good example of a stone edge target, mention things like volcanion, mega aero or chandelure.

Sleep Talk isnt a "set" its just something you could run over flare blitz if you really hate amoonguss. You could just mention it on moves instead of oo.

On c&c Id mention terrakion over shark as a revenge killer since it doesnt get dicked by extremespeed and hippo over pert on ground types since the latter is already mentioned on waters.

Finally, do everything virizain said. Will qc after those changes are up.
implemented

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview
  • Make the first bullet point talking about its role as a wallbreaker (basically your last point atm). This would be your first line when you write it up btw.
  • In your current first point, make mention of Mega Houndoom imo since like Infernape, it's faster than Entei and can set up, etc (unless it gets banned in the voting).
  • Mention its access to Extreme Speed. It's pretty significant.
  • Remove the point about how its viability is affected by the reduction in burn damage. We don't talk about generational shifts in analyses. i.e. what it was like in Ggen 6 is irrelevant in a Gen 7 analysis.
Set
  • Looks fine, but regarding your formatting:
[SET]
name:
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
ability:
nature:
evs:
You don't change what's in the [SET]; it's there to mark where the set is. The name is already mentioned under "name:"

Moves
  • Not a big fan of the Extreme Speed line because it implies that you're running Extreme Speed to make up for the Adamant nature that it's forced to run because of something else (which would be Flare Blitz). In reality, Extreme Speed is just a great priority move that allows Entei to pick off weakened threats and even potentially clean late-game after their team has taken enough of a beating. Outprioritising other offensive priority moves is a nice thing as well. Those benefits are kind of what make us run Adamant, so change the line to reflect this and no need to mention the nature here; just talk about what the move does.
Set Details
  • Line about evs should be before the one about the item imo. Also about that line, I'd rephrase it to be like "placed into Speed to be as fast as possible, outspeeding up to positive-natured base 86s, including [examples: rotom-c i suppose, and anything a little slower that you'd still want to outspeeed]", so you don't place the emphasis on the base 86s.
Usage Tips
  • Second line: I get that Extreme Speed is nice for offensive teams, but they're also relevant here in the late-game part, cleaning against teams that have been sufficiently weakened by Sacred Fire.
  • I'd make more mention of opportunities for Entei to switch in, such as against certain Scizor variants like those Choice locked into Bullet Punch, but it has to be wary of being worn down by Stealth Rock, so as much as possible making sure hazards aren't up is a noteworthy tip as well.
Team Options
  • I'd mention Pokemon (sweepers/cleaners) that appreciate Entei's ability to wallbreak, remove Pokemon like Amoonguss, and spread burns
Other Options
  • I'm not convinced that Iron Head deserves a mention. Diancie and Rhyperior are extremely niche in this meta and should not be relevant in this analysis. It was still an okay option when Clefable was in the tier since it'd just stall out Sacred Fire, but right now, I don't see it do much other than hit niche counters like Gigalith (which gets crippled by burn anyway).
Implement and you get QC 2/3; go ahead and write it up afterwards.

Overview
  • Make the first bullet point talking about its role as a wallbreaker (basically your last point atm). This would be your first line when you write it up btw.
  • In your current first point, make mention of Mega Houndoom imo since like Infernape, it's faster than Entei and can set up, etc (unless it gets banned in the voting).
  • Mention its access to Extreme Speed. It's pretty significant.
  • Remove the point about how its viability is affected by the reduction in burn damage. We don't talk about generational shifts in analyses. i.e. what it was like in Ggen 6 is irrelevant in a Gen 7 analysis.
Set
  • Looks fine, but regarding your formatting:

You don't change what's in the [SET]; it's there to mark where the set is. The name is already mentioned under "name:"

Moves
  • Not a big fan of the Extreme Speed line because it implies that you're running Extreme Speed to make up for the Adamant nature that it's forced to run because of something else (which would be Flare Blitz). In reality, Extreme Speed is just a great priority move that allows Entei to pick off weakened threats and even potentially clean late-game after their team has taken enough of a beating. Outprioritising other offensive priority moves is a nice thing as well. Those benefits are kind of what make us run Adamant, so change the line to reflect this and no need to mention the nature here; just talk about what the move does.
Set Details
  • Line about evs should be before the one about the item imo. Also about that line, I'd rephrase it to be like "placed into Speed to be as fast as possible, outspeeding up to positive-natured base 86s, including [examples: rotom-c i suppose, and anything a little slower that you'd still want to outspeeed]", so you don't place the emphasis on the base 86s.
Usage Tips
  • Second line: I get that Extreme Speed is nice for offensive teams, but they're also relevant here in the late-game part, cleaning against teams that have been sufficiently weakened by Sacred Fire.
  • I'd make more mention of opportunities for Entei to switch in, such as against certain Scizor variants like those Choice locked into Bullet Punch, but it has to be wary of being worn down by Stealth Rock, so as much as possible making sure hazards aren't up is a noteworthy tip as well.
Team Options
  • I'd mention Pokemon (sweepers/cleaners) that appreciate Entei's ability to wallbreak, remove Pokemon like Amoonguss, and spread burns
Other Options
  • I'm not convinced that Iron Head deserves a mention. Diancie and Rhyperior are extremely niche in this meta and should not be relevant in this analysis. It was still an okay option when Clefable was in the tier since it'd just stall out Sacred Fire, but right now, I don't see it do much other than hit niche counters like Gigalith (which gets crippled by burn anyway).
Implement and you get QC 2/3; go ahead and write it up afterwards.
implemented, will get writing up later (finally)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)