ffffffffffffffffff (part 3, 5/02/08)

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I was always under the impression that the EVs and sets we gave were a guideline and nothing more. So if someone wants to say "don't use Smogon's EVs" go ahead and let them. Just as with movesets and items, EVs should be made to fit the pokemon's purpose on the team. Since we obviously can't have a list of pokemon teams to hand out to every new user, we do the best we can by providing decent sets and EV spreads to fit those specific sets with a specific purpose in mind for that pokemon. As much as we are the premier battling website, the analyses and everything in them are clearly intended for the beginner/intermediate battler so we should emphasize that fact when people bitch about details like this. They're only a guideline to help people learn on their own and just because Smogon says this doesn't mean it has to be followed. It's our recommendation. If we suggest that user PokeDouche1337 unplug his internet connection, I doubt he'd do that.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
About the Dex, this isn't really stated in the first post, but I think some small features from the old RSE days are in order, it's probably good to add things like move power in the description of each move... as well as such things as a list of resistances for each Pokemon on their individual pages... little things like that, although obviously there's no rush.
Obviously... this is the reason I don't take suggestions about the site - whatever you suggest, I'm probably already planning to do...

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm really happy to see the learnsets go up, but now more than ever, I think we need to be going through and eliminating mistakes in the move descriptions. By mistakes, I'm referring to style and capitalization rather than the descriptions themselves for the most part.

So far I've caught in the vicinity of a few hundred of these "errors", editing them as I came across them, and I know other people have been too. However, it'd probably be good to have some sets of fresh eyes checking things out. With learnsets being advertised on the front page of the site, I don't think it'd be a bad idea to have some people give maybe a generation each a quick sweep to make sure everything is in order now that a lot more attention is going to be drawn to them. Between us, with what's been done so far, it shouldn't be too much of a job, but it'll make all the difference.

EDIT: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35397 is what to go off for reference purposes, just in case ...

To be honest I don't see too much of a problem with the current EV spreads. The one thing is that there are a few that could probably use additional notes - for example, the current Weavile analysis recommends 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe for all spreads, but fails to mention that having max speed is useful and a very viable option for beating/tying with other Weaviles, who will always OHKO with Brick Break. Granted, in this case it's somewhat forgivable since Weavile actually does gain a specific benefit from 40 hp ev's, but the importance of a speed tie is something that should really be included (I just went and added that to Weavile btw, so that's no longer an example, but eh). That was somewhat of a lengthy explanation, but there are probably a few instances of things like that which could use more clarification. I'd attribute any bashing of our EV's to the "hating smogon is cool!" attitude that some sites seem to have rather than actual problems with the EV spreads, though there's always room for improvement, I guess (if Obi's going through and fixing EV's up, that should help).

I didn't see too much of a problem with the state of the RMT forum before Aldaron's topic - I'd rather have someone say "Your team is TTar weak" than have them not give any advice at all thanks to being required to type out an explanation of exactly what would fix this problem. Having suggestions on how to fix a problem is always more helpful than just having a problem stated, so if raters are willing to take the time to make a full suggestion that's fine. I definitely wouldn't want it to become an absolute rule or anything though, since if instated it would probably drive off a lot of potential raters.

I haven't really seen any posters that absolutely need a ladybug badge, but there are some I would consider looking at if some others agree with me.

I think that most, if not all, pokemon should have a more indepth analysis of their EVs. Obviously for a random 4/252/252 spread, this is not entirely necesary, but for other more specific spreads, this should be standard. Starmie's DP analysis what an excellent example of this. There was previously no analysis on the spread. I went ahead and added this, but, really, this should be implemented on the other analyses, too.

EDIT: This thread is a prime example of what I was saying: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40235.

The on-site analyses are great. And i'm guessing the EV Crisis has just stemmed from people that don't understand the purpose of specific EVs in specific stats. If each EV Spread was given the detail seen in the Gyarados analysis, then readers mightn't be so confused.

Then again a few of the analyses really need an update in the EVs Section, such as the Porygon2 where a pretty complicated EV Spread is given no real explanation as to why it is there.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
it´d be nice if my name was mentioned in the main article window under "Damage Formula" like it is in the actual article, thanks.

An insight on damage calculation in Diamond/Pearl, thanks to X-Act and Peterko.

don´t kill me if I ask this, but how do I access the scms again? sorry it´s been a long time :/

EDIT: in the damage formula article, the link to section 2 (base power modifiers) doesn´t work...also the link in the formula itself

EDIT2: thanks ryubahamut, I went through the whole article and the rest seems OK

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
FYI - In the new Damage Calculator, there will be an "About.." box with credits etc.

I plan to credit both X-Act and Peterko for the damage formula that serves as the basis for the whole thing.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lack of updates on the front page

We've done a whole host of new shit since the last update. Could you guys bitch at me on IRC every now and then to update the main page? I'd really be helpful. I'd like to do updates every 3 or 4 days.
I said this on IRC, but I'm not sure who saw it, so I'm posting here as well.

I uploaded the move priority guides to the site (making it the first GSC article uploaded!). I'm not sure if this is what you wanted but I remember hearing somewhere that someone was keeping track of this sort of thing and I forget if I've already posted about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)