Fire Emblem [Discord Channel in OP]

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Villager can promote into 5ish different classes, yeah.

There's also a new thing called Mila's Gear that can undo your actions a limited number of times.

amiibo functions were revealed recently. Alm and Celica unlock a new dungeon and you can save their stats to the amiibo. Other amiibo give you generics or something.

Karxrida

UI looks great. Battle music sounds good but will get old quickly if it's the only track.

Looks like Supports are still a thing, though I doubt we'll be able to marry anybody off.

I like having more voice clips. Hopefully all the VAs are good.

Looks like Supports are still a thing
If you mean Supports as in, Pair-Up; they're not. Confirmed by today's trailer.

I got downvoted into oblivion on reddit, but maybe I won't be as hated here for saying this: I'm really not into this game. At all. And today's confirmation was really the last nail in the coffin. They legit went back 20 years in the past and brought back Gaiden exactly how it was--gameplay-wise. Now, I think that's fine to bring back old mechanics, however so long as you don't completely eliminate the new ones.

People are showering praises to the fact pair-ups aren't a thing, and I just cannot understand why. They're losing stuff and gaining absolutely nothing in return and it boggles my mind why I should take that as a good thing. This whole situation to me feels like what would've happened if Game Freak hadn't included Megastones in ORAS simply because SR didn't have them. Or better yet, if we went back to before the physical/special split because that's how the original games played.

Idk, at this point I'm probably just ranting and I apologize for that... but man, am I bummed.

Disclaimer: When I say Pair-Ups, I mean the act of pairing two units together in the battle-field, which should've been a thing since day1 cause it makes a absurd amount of sense to team-up with your allies when you're in battle. I do think Marriage and stuff are cool, but I wouldn't lose my shit if they were scrapped for something else.

Well the thing is, a fair amount of people on the internet, myself included, never liked Pair-Up, and yes, I do mean the act of effectively turning two units into one very strong unit, it is the one aspect of Awakening/Fates I have never liked, so learning that such feature was not added to this gives me a bit more interest in it.

Karxrida

Corrin I meant convos and bonuses. They weren't in the original and I was worried that IS would ax them because they went Shadow Dragon on the remake.

No Pair-Up stinks (it's not an inherently bad mechanic but it definitely needs refinement), but I can live without it since it looks like they made getting Support points easier. Inserting Pair-Up into the game would necessitate a lot rebalancing that IS probably didn't want to deal with.

I don't really care about gaiden but if complaints like that get pair ups, player-fellating supports, of any other new-FE baggage put in a Seisen remake that would be Really Not Ok.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
People are showering praises to the fact pair-ups aren't a thing, and I just cannot understand why. They're losing stuff and gaining absolutely nothing in return and it boggles my mind why I should take that as a good thing.
Nothing gained in return? Just think about Awakening and (mostly) Fates, where you can protect a unit at no cost BUFFING the other with sizable bonuses, spamming FeMCxJakob like there won't be a tomorrow (or FeMCxRyoma, or basically any strong character) in Fates
Even the Rescue mechanic was better because you were protecting a unit but at a considerable skill/speed nerf

It's not even a loss, it's only a gain to remove an (almost) broken mechanic, and the original Gaiden didn't have that, so why's even in consideration? It's the magic of the remake, porting Gaiden in a Gaiden-like state while advancing in technology and progress to make it playable; that's what a remake should be, not a Fates-like game with the Gaiden name

(Basically you deserved those downvotes)

Btw GBA Support system >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This remake sounds lit, might doing a Gaiden playthrough before the new one but idk

Last edited:
Nothing gained in return? Just think about Awakening and (mostly) Fates, where you can protect a unit at no cost BUFFING the other with sizable bonuses, spamming FeMCxJakob like there won't be a tomorrow (or FeMCxRyoma, or basically any strong character) in Fates
Even the Rescue mechanic was better because you were protecting a unit but at a considerable skill/speed nerf

It's not even a loss, it's only a gain to remove an (almost) broken mechanic, and the original Gaiden didn't have that, so why's even in consideration? It's the magic of the remake, porting Gaiden in a Gaiden-like state while advancing in technology and progress to make it playable; that's what a remake should be, not a Fates-like game with the Gaiden name

(Basically you deserved those downvotes)

Btw GBA Support system >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This remake sounds lit, might doing a Gaiden playthrough before the new one but idk
I don't look at it that way. I'm not saying the pair-up system was ideal, but it was a good idea that could use some fine tuning. Fates did that and took steps in the right directions. And why it should be in consideration? Because you'd actually add something new to a well over 20 years old game. As it stands, Echoes is basically the same game as it was two decades ago with a visual upgrade, which is not something I'm too keen of or excited for since I know what to expect out of it.

I'm not saying Gaiden is a bad game by any means. However, I do think that the remake is missing out on the possibility of improving itself and being better than the original game was all those years ago. Zelda did it, Pokemon did it and I think FE should've followed suit, is all.

Knowing that Echoes is a more or less straight remake (with light additions like supports) makes me very excited. Pair up was a busted/dumb mechanic and marriage was cringe shit. Also not interested in eugenics simulator being forced into my FE games and bloating the casts to ridiculous levels. Having the feature made sense in FE 4 and was a neat quirk in Awakening (considering Awakening may have been the last game in the series, it made sense to have a feature come back for a last hurrah and wasn't outlandish) but Fates... man, just fuck Fates in general. Happy we're going back to what we had before.

Last edited:

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
Pair-up as a mechanic is inherently flawed because it's ALWAYS the correct decision, when it was clearly designed with strategic choice in mind. Certainly in Awakening there's zero reason not to be permanently paired up, and while Fates tried to alleviate this with the splitting off of followup attacks, the stat bonuses and dual guard still mean that on higher difficulties (hi lunatic) you're still permanently pairing up anyways.

As long as pair-up provides ridiculous stat bonuses (bonuses that scale with support level, which is much easier to build when pairing up, like some sort of weaboo snowball) and dual guard potential it's going to be the correct choice in most every situation, and even if this is tweaked it's still a much less balanced/interesting mechanic than Rescue from a pure gameplay standpoint, which I'd value over power couple power fantasy any day of the week.

also I don't think anyone's arguing that children in Fates were anything other than shoehorned pandering lmao

SoV looks dope can't wait for every archer to be heroes takumi

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
I don't look at it that way. I'm not saying the pair-up system was ideal, but it was a good idea that could use some fine tuning. Fates did that and took steps in the right directions. And why it should be in consideration? Because you'd actually add something new to a well over 20 years old game. As it stands, Echoes is basically the same game as it was two decades ago with a visual upgrade, which is not something I'm too keen of or excited for since I know what to expect out of it.

I'm not saying Gaiden is a bad game by any means. However, I do think that the remake is missing out on the possibility of improving itself and being better than the original game was all those years ago. Zelda did it, Pokemon did it and I think FE should've followed suit, is all.
Why should Gaiden make a gamble porting a completely unrelated mechanic when we'll have FESwitch for that?
I'm very good like this, it has (and should have) the lightiest modification to look like a modern-era FE, still maintaining Gaiden core mechanics and difficulty

Pair-up as a mechanic is inherently flawed because it's ALWAYS the correct decision, when it was clearly designed with strategic choice in mind. Certainly in Awakening there's zero reason not to be permanently paired up, and while Fates tried to alleviate this with the splitting off of followup attacks, the stat bonuses and dual guard still mean that on higher difficulties (hi lunatic) you're still permanently pairing up anyways.

As long as pair-up provides ridiculous stat bonuses (bonuses that scale with support level, which is much easier to build when pairing up, like some sort of weaboo snowball) and dual guard potential it's going to be the correct choice in most every situation, and even if this is tweaked it's still a much less balanced/interesting mechanic than Rescue from a pure gameplay standpoint, which I'd value over power couple power fantasy any day of the week.
^this, we're talking about a very relevant mechanic in gameplay too, considering how gamebreaking/tactically important can be

(i doubleposted, my bad)

Karxrida

The game leaked.

A Female Corrin amiibo may be a thing based on datamined portraits.

Canon ages might be a thing for once, but I'm not sure about this one.

There's an extra chapter after you beat the game where you visit Archanea and learn about the origins of Grima.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Figured I would advertise it here to see interest.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aUYvLbuIBvTdwmRRgRKeBQGIOfZ4pEieIGFR7KpREpw/edit?usp=sharing

Tellius Drafting (credits to https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/6gonc6/tellius_draft_interestrules_thread/ for rules and setup).

As the tin says, I'm looking to do an fe9+fe10 draft. Comment if you want in. Rules are as follows:

RULES FOR THE TELLIUS DRAFT

• Both FE9 and FE10 will be drafted at the same time. Any pick made for PoR will carry over into RD. Transfer data IS allowed to be utilized.

• Ike, Titania (FE9 only, and only up to Chapter 10), one of the Laguz Royals (FE9 only), the Herons, Micaiah, Sothe (FE10 only), BK, Geoffrey (FE10 only), Kurthnaga, and Lehran are all free to use.

• The split choice will be Titania+Mist / Haar. Titania will be free for those who don't draft her until Chapter 10 where Ike and whoever else has joined can function on their own. Mist will be free for those who pick Titania, Haar is Haar.

• Undrafted units may recruit characters, Rescue and Shove/Smite undrafted characters and NPCs, trade, Escape/Arrive, transfer items/skills between teams, find hidden items, and do other such things to speed up the play of the game that do NOT involve combat of any sort.

• Undrafted units may not attack, heal, meatshield, build Supports, or give Blood Tide/Night Tide/White Pool bonuses. There ARE exceptions to this and they will be posted in the “Exceptions” section.

• Allied or Other units can do whatever they want. It only matters once they are on your team.

• FE9 (PoR) will be played on Hard Mode and FE10 (RD) will be played on Normal Mode. Using fixed growths are up to you, though they are discouraged for picture playthroughs. You could do Text updates if you cannot do pictures or videos

• This run is just for fun! This is not an LTC run or anything of the sort.

• One undrafted thief may be used on each level for unlocking and finding items. Thieves cannot steal unless they are drafted.

• Drafting will begin tomorrow at some point at the future, got delayed due to work complications
EXCEPTIONS TO UNDRAFTED UNITS (thanks SF! +Zealot! )

FE9:

1) Janaff/Ulki may be used to obtain the Knight Ring if undrafted. They are not allowed to be used outside of this specific function.

FE10:

1) One of Edward or Nolan is free for each of 1-P, 1-1 and 1-2.

2) Volug is free for 1-5.

3) Elincia, Marcia and Nealuchi are free for 2-P

4) Nephenee and Brom are free for 2-1.

5) One undrafted, non-Lucia unit is free for 2-2.

6) One undrafted, 7 move unit is free for 3-1.

If you want you can pick your split choice a few characters in. This way there isn't any pressure and you can see what your team is going to shape into.

UNITS TO BE DRAFTED:

Oscar, Boyd, Rhys, Gatrie, Shinon, Soren, Mia, Ilyana, Rolf, Marcia, Lethe, Mordecai, Volke, Kieran, Brom, Nephenee, Zihark, Jill, Sothe/Geoffrey (FE9), Astrid, Makalov, Stefan, Tormod, Muarim, Devdan, Tanith, Janaff, Ulki, Calill/Largo, Tauroneo, Ranulf, Bastian, Lucia, Elincia, Ena/Nasir, Edward, Leonardo, Nolan, Laura, Aran, Meg, Volug, Fiona, Vika, Nailah, Nealuchi, Heather, Kyza, Lyre, Sigrun, Sanaki, Skirmir, Naesala, Tibarn, Pelleas, Oliver, Caineghis, Giffca, Renning, Gareth

Be sure to join the Discord - https://discord.gg/3FvtHxw

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
<merged from 2020 thread since this was revived>

Being introduced to the west with Super Smash Bros. Melee's featuring of Marth and Roy, the franchises are quite closely tied, and it's where a lot of players hop into the community. While it was still receiving middling reception at the time, Awakening gave the series a much-needed rebirth with modernized features, and the community has been booming ever since. Hell, it can be considered one of Nintendo's bigger franchises now, with sales comparable to some of their mainstays. With the advent of horrible business practices Fire Emblem Heroes, the community has received something to latch onto for more active discussion about current events as well. Fire Emblem has one of the most unique histories of any Nintendo franchise, especially with the west, and to deny this would be dishonest at best.

When it comes to Fire Emblem, I'm more of a collector, having every mainline game except Sacred Stones, which has become extremely expensive in recent times. I got into Fire Emblem through - shockingly enough - a kid in Petalburg in Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door that mentions it. Soon picked up FE7 and away I went. Anyway...I'm not sure if it's scalpers, age or something causing it, but Sacred Stones has become comparable to Radiant Dawn in value. To make matters worse, there is a gigantic amount of fakes on the market, so just like the Gen 3 Pokemon games...it's kind of a minefield. I'd say it's among the most difficult games to get a legit copy of; at least Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn and New Mystery don't have a massive fakery market to contend with while also being rare in Europe. This isn't even just bad for collectors, these fakes have shitty save batteries that wipe within a few weeks, so it's shit for players too. While I'm mainly a collector, I do play through all the games at least once a year each, though I don't take it to a super serious level with advanced planning and the like. I will talk your ear off about the characters and story though! Out of them all, I think Radiant Dawn or Thracia 776 would be my favourite games, but those are posts for another day.

Here's my shelf with all my Fire Emblem games and amiibos on display. The lack of Sacred Stones hurts you as much as it hurts me, I promise. I bought reproduction boxes for a bunch of them, namely FE3-7. You wouldn't believe this, but I got my current copy of Radiant Dawn with the manual when moving to this house, it was left behind in a box with some headphones and a few other games and random CDs for artists I don't care about. Ended up selling my old copy for £60 that lacked its manual to someone on Twitter and turned a nice profit. It was a good day. I should really get a bigger shelf, though...
So some questions to get the discussion started;
  • When/how did you get into Fire Emblem?​
  • Favourite Fire Emblem game?​
  • Hot takes?​
  • Any cool Heroes units you've built?​
  • Any interesting stories?​

Last edited:

Lionyx

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Cool thread! I like the franchise, loved the Fire Emblem games that I played, and would definitely want to try the others out. Also enjoyed using Byleth when I played Smash Ultimate with my sisters and the general OST of Three Houses that I often listen.

So some questions to get the discussion started;
When/how did you get into Fire Emblem?
I bought my first FE Emblem game on the 3DS, it was Awakening, I hadn't really heard of FE until then but the game had some positive reviews and I wanted something else than the classic Pokémon/Mario/Zelda games, it ended up pleasing me and I spent many hours on it! I think that was around 2014 or 2015, at least it was too long ago for me to remember the depths of the story so maybe I need to play it again.

Favourite Fire Emblem game?
My favorite FE game is Three Houses (which is the only one I've played alongside Awakening, but I'd love to get my hands on the other FE cartridges in the future), I spent around 300 hours on it and it was my first Switch game, and I'm having a hard time thinking of a flaw for it; I loved the music, the scenario, the graphics, the mechanics and so on. Perhaps the Golden Deer route was too similar to the Church route, but apart from that, I don't think that anything else disappointed me in the game besides the length of Crimson Flower maybe. I've played the DLC as well and I'd love there to be another game taking place in the Fódlan universe in the future, whether it be a sequel or an alternate history with the characters that we already know. :)

Hot takes?
Edelgard did nothing wrong!

Any interesting stories?
There's an event that made me like the franchise even more. When I bought my Switch Lite, one day before Pokémon Sword & Shield came out because I wanted to play these, I also wanted to pick another Switch game to play during the evening and try out my new console. Eventually chose Fire Emblem: Three Houses since I remembered having liked Awakening, and most of the other games that were being sold I either already had on the Wii U, or my sister had them on her Switch. Then came the time to pay for my articles, the price seemed way lower what I had expected. I told the cashier, who seemed to be a new one, that the price was too low and that something had to be wrong, but he insisted and told me something along the lines that it was normal that my Switch Lite was cheaper than a regular Switch. Once out of the store, I looked at the receipt and the game wasn't on it, making me save 69.99 euros because the cashier had forgotten to count the game yet still put it in the bag! Without a doubt that was my best experience ever of a new console acquisition, and I imagine that someone got yelled at when they did the inventory!

Started with Fire Emblem 7 back in the day. Borrowed it from a friend and loved it a lot, but I had to play through it like 7 times to get access to Hector Hard Mode as a result. Nowadays moden Fire Emblem is, while inconsistent, still capable enough of bringing out fantastic titles to keep my attention.

My favorite is probably Thracia 776 (I mentioned in another thread that I speedrun it, but even casually it's a very rich game), but honorable mentions are FE7 (which will always have a special place in my heart), Fates Conquest (which somehow fixed every gameplay problem I had with Awakening even though they had no reason to), and FE4 (which is a really fun and expansive take on the formula they never came close to replicating again).

As for fun stories, I'm actually running a D&D campaign with my friends set in pre FE4 Jugdral where all the players are the 12 crusaders and they have to fight against armies in the first holy war. It's been quite a good time!

Tranquility

Kuru~Kuru
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
When/how did you get into Fire Emblem?
My friend lended me his 3DS back in 2016 with Fire Emblem Birthright in it, I barely remember the original run as the game didn't leave a strong impression with me. About 2 years later I started to watch and enjoy fire emblem related content on Youtube (especially from Mekkah) and went to play the rest of the 3DS Emblems. From that, I've grown in love with the series and in particular with Fire Emblem 3 Houses with maddening/other challenge runs.

Favourite Fire Emblem game?
Either Echoes, Conquest or 3 Houses. (Need to try out more of the older games though)

Hot takes?

Crimson Flower had the best Map Designs and is the best route from a gameplay perspective.

Brandon

My flop era is lowkey serving
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I am a huge fan of the series!!!

My friend in hs convinced me to buy Awakening. I instantly fell in love with the game and I have bought & played all three routes of fates, shadows of valentia, and all routes in 3 houses + the dlc. I don't play heroes because I don't mobile game and I also have that hack and slash game but I consider it another side game and not really a main series game.

I have wanted to get into the older games but I am a casual player who plays for the story + characters and just for general enjoyment and I don't think I'd be able to take the permadeath feature of the older games. I have lost units to untimely crits/bad luck but with characters coming back afterward I didn't feel the need to restart the chapter like I would have to in the older games. I have thought about just watching gameplay of the older ones online but if there are adaptations with permadeath turned off I would love to hear about those!

I'm gonna just give some takes I have. No idea if they're hot or not.
  • IF they're going to continue the path of the main character being "you" and being able to marry fellow characters, the male same-sex partners should be diversified and given the same quality of options that female same-sex couples got in Three Houses. Giving us two old married men as two of the original THREE options to S rank (they're not even romantic options @ the old men). I think Lindhardt was fine but giving us Jeritza as a fourth option and then Yuri as the last option really wasn't as great as Dorothea/Mercedes/Edelgard from the get-go. This is still better than Fates I will concede.
  • Personally, I liked the way magic functioned in Shadows of Valentia and Three Houses more than other games.
  • I would really like to see a continuation of what Fates started with no gender-locked classes. To piggyback off of this, I want to see more muscle girls and more male magic-users.
  • The writing for Byleth was an amazing example of how you can make a non-binary character normal DESPITE Byleth being one of the worst vessel characters.
  • There should be more of an attempt to balance characters to make all of the cast viable. Why would I use anybody but Mercedes as my primary healer? Why use any other Mage when Lysithea is completely busted? Manuela is one of my personal favorite characters but she was completely screwed over in her spell list. I used Three Houses as the basis for this example but it is transferrable to other games.
  • Lucina is overrated.
  • Child characters were an interesting concept in Awakening but it was completely butchered in Fates and I'm glad they weren't a thing in Three Houses. Some of my favorites were child characters but I think matchmaking characters in order to get the best offspring took away from much of the game.
  • Personal skills are a great addition to give a little bit of personality to characters, but crests were kind of a flop in my opinion.

First FE game was the DS remake of Shadow Dragon, though as with many of my DS collection, the first one I beat was not the first one I played. First cleared game would be Radiant Dawn.

I'm a huge sucker for making weird builds, so I really enjoyed the options provided in Awakening and Fates. I found 3 Houses fell a bit short on that front due to it being too difficult to get to S+ to replace class-locked skills if you're also trying to have access to classes that don't focus on that weapon.

Hot take: Edelgard should have been a mage, not an axe user. She's the head of the more magic-specialized house, has a unique style of magic progression, and we haven't had an armoured tome unit yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)