Flash Clash [Online Competition] - Now Playable on Showdown!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there a Flying Press article coming on Flash Clash? I haven't had time to train up a team, so it'd be nice to have a baseline for what I should be breeding for.
We did plan to, but the meta is so ridiculous and there are so many threats. It's also more about the Team Preview aspect of the game and the mindgames involved there, rather than actually playing the game, and explaining that in an article wasn't going to work.

If you need a reference for breeding / teambuilding the use this and this and this. (usage, movesets, and actual leads, respectively)

exit: be warned though that those stats are from last month when the competition was only up for a week iirc, there's no stats for April (yet)

I went 16-4 on day 1. Most opposing teams were pretty similar to regular singles teams (or even worse) in the 1500's at least, so I went with Azumarill a lot since it was the the safest thing that could for sure beat the entire opposing team in the low 1500's. Things did begin to resemble the showdown ladder more once I got higher rated though, since there are no surprise Japanese sets. One of my losses was to a crit and another to a turn 1 sheer cold hit, which is always annoying but I did steal one win with a crit of my own. I also realized I stupidly forgot to teach my Sawk knock off before locking my box, which cost me a game, but the competition is still lots of fun as always.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Went a clean 10-10 Day 1, kinda annoyed as I won my first three matches and went on a small tear from Battles #14-16 with Serperior4. I For the first eight battles, I tested each member of my team, then found myself relying on Serperior4 and NotClawitzer4, though I did use Barbaracle4 a couple of times. I can already tell I'm not going to be performing particularly well here, so it's time to up the fun quotient--for the remainder of the competition, I will be choosing my 'mon by dice roll:
- 1: Barbaracle4
- 2: NotClawitzer4
- 3: NotPoliwrath3
- 4: Serperior4
- 5: Lilligant4
- 6: Hippowdon4

Dragonite is a consistent problem--two of my team members have coverage, but he outpseeds both, can crush Clawitzer4, and the turn Barbaracle4 spends breaking Multiscale proves fatal. Hippowdon4 might have a chance if it gets a couple of Curses up, but I have to try it a few times and see if can survive the initial blows (all Dragonite I've faced so far are either WP or Lefties variants).

As I noticed when facing Clefable on one occasion, I also have no way to deal with Fairies...will have to simply pound them.

What do you guys think about Donphan? It has access to Sturdy, Endeavor and Ice Shard. Fake out is not a problem since it can just Protect against its users. The only Mold Breaker super effective user I see against it is Basculin since Mega-Gyarados is out. It's biggest counter would be Cloyster and perhaps something like Skarmory.

What do you guys think about Donphan? It has access to Sturdy, Endeavor and Ice Shard. Fake out is not a problem since it can just Protect against its users. The only Mold Breaker super effective user I see against it is Basculin since Mega-Gyarados is out. It's biggest counter would be Cloyster and perhaps something like Skarmory.
I ran into that yesterday and it was really annoying and I had to forfeit. But I don't have any priority moves other then suckerpunch to counter it.

I ended up 14-6 on the first day. Sawk is performing very well, Azumarill won some times as well but if the opponent leads with something slower like Snorlax I just forfeit.

Finished Day 1 with 13 wins and 7 loses. The most frustrating one came on an Aegislash vs Snorlax showdown. First I halved his attack with King's Shield, then I almost cut half of his HP with Sacred Sword, then I got some recoil since he had Rocky Helmet, and finally he knocked me out with Critical Crunch! Even with his attack reduced! That prevented the activation of Weakness Policy. If it wasn't for the crit, I think I'd have won that one. I also lost with Scarf Porygon-Z to a crit Zen Headbutt from Metagross, but that was more forgivable.

My biggest surprise was to meet a physical Serperior with Coil and Leaf Blade. My Donphan was prepared to Endeavor a Leaf Storm and finish with Ice Shard, but I really didn't expect that. I could've won if I used Knock Off before it set 4 Coils, since I was also recovering HP with Leftovers, so by the time I was at full I should just expect that a Leaf Blade would leave me on the limit and then Ice Shard it. Still, it worked against a Starmie and tanked a Landorus-T perfectly. Very glad I chose Don, despite missing a bit of sheer force.

Can't really complain about most things, it's mostly random and the winner uses to be decided by the moment both Pokémon are sent out. Very funny competition.

Went 16-4. All four of my losses were due to very unfortunate circumstances, (such as a Dragonite Fire Punch Crit on my Aegislash, and it burning me as well, running out of time and misclicking on a move, confusion + para hax, etc.) so I feel pretty good.

I'd say that my most used pokemon were Haxorus (particularly at the beginning), then Aegislash, then Suicune. Suicune + Mirror Coat is almost unfair.

Also, are the Japanese not participating? Didn't face a single one. Probably why I did so well, haha.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Also, are the Japanese not participating? Didn't face a single one. Probably why I did so well, haha.
Flash Clash is kind of a "filler" competition right now, the Japan Cup (the VGC qualifier in Japan) is a Battle Competition happening at the same time as this. So yeah they're not part of this competition, quite unfortunately for the Japanese players that might not play VGC.

I just finished with 16-4 in the Junior Division about 1650 rating. Tons of Showdown testing (probably around 250 battles) helped me to perfect my team.
But I want to talk about an insane battle against a ~1430 person. It was my Ferrothorn against their Clawitzer, and they double-Dark Pulse-flinch-critted me.
And I lost.
:(

Ugh, 13-7 (W/L)

Was really hoping to stay at 4 losses.

The amount of dragonite/gyrados/chansey teams is really annoying.
They mindgame worse than the Azumarill/Whimsicotts.

All my losses just felt like unlucky matchups.
The one pokemon they pick, being the one that doesn't match the rest of their team at all, taking on the counter I decded to throw in in case one of the other 5 pokemon were chosen.

I finished day 1 with 11-9 (W/L). Not the best, but it is my first tournament.

I definitely agree that most losses are unlucky match ups, especially when you have to face stall teams.

Probably my favorite battle was when my lando-t beat a rotom-wash by getting 5 flinches from rock slide in one game :P

welp day 1 ended with 9-11(W/L), and ran into a clear hacker for my first match today ;;.....they used a Shiny Mawile caught in a cherish ball, with Tail Glow. Poor ferrothorn didnt stand a chance ;;

Also a large amount of interesting stuff, but my Porygon-Z and Wobbuffet are the only ones of my team that really are racking up the wins. I did see some interesting stuff id like to actually use now, like Avalugg.

Edit: Getting revenge is great xD...i ended up rematching the hacker but his mawile couldnt best wobbuffet.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound kinda salty but this is horrible meta. I finished day 1 14-6 and roughly early 1600s. My losses were due to 2 freezes, 3 rock blast misses and 1 disconnect. I don't want to sound kinda arrogant but I would've won all those games.

Edit: I also keep playing people in the 1400s :/

Last edited:
Finishing day 1 with 16//4 with ~1650 points. Really fun and fast format ! I hope I can reach 1700+ on Day 2

Damn, today I got all the way to 1743, got ambitious, (should've quit), and lost the next three matches, then my connection messed up for another battle! Nooooo! Ended up at around 1650, second day. :/

I don't want to sound kinda salty but this is horrible meta. I finished day 1 14-6 and roughly early 1600s. My losses were due to 2 freezes, 3 rock blast misses and 1 disconnect. I don't want to sound kinda arrogant but I would've won all those games.

Edit: I also keep playing people in the 1400s :/
Damn, know the feeling from last competition :/ Hopefully, the sheer number of battles will even it out over time.

Has anyone here got a timid or modest sturdy magnemite/magnezone by any chance?

Day 2 was absolute trash to me.

The first 10 battles were fair ones where I just happened to guess which one they would use to try to counter the Azumarill and Whimsicott I have on my team as bait.

And then straight losses for the last 10 from being matched with heavy tank teams that had so many variables there was no chance I could ever pick right.
I'm seeing way more typical 1v1 meta teams than anything that was discussed specifically for FlashClash so despite preparing a team for the FlashClash threats I'm typically losing to the normal meta.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Went 8-12 Day 2, the dice-rolling strategy actually worked for me initially (first three battles were wins), then shit went downhill fast. I ended up rolling Lilligant & Barbaracle a lot, which may not have helped too much long-term. Still, my approach made this fun (which is an accomplishment, given how indifferent I generally am towards 1v1), so there is that.

Also, there was this: BT4W-WWWW-WW4X-W9FC (vs. ERA and her Muk)--Lilligant4 completely justifies all the sweat and blood I used to breed for her.

I was really up and down over day 2 and 3, rising above 1770, only to fall below 1710, but fortunately I was able to grind my way up back to finish at 1795. I ended up using azumarill way more than anything else, because it was winning a lot, and a lot of teams just seemed unprepared for it. One thing that made it difficult was that since this format has a lot more luck involved than any other format, it was easy to lose against low rated players, and for some reason about 95% of teams I faced had a lower rating and most of the times, at least 100-200 points lower so winning 3 games and losing 2 actually resulted in lower rating overall. One thing that caught me off guard was Dusclops which was very uncommon on showdown, but quite common with 1700's players and if it had rest, it beat my whole team except porygon-z. Aegislash was the other big weakness for my time, which is another reason I picked Azumarill a lot.
Here's my team
upload_2016-4-30_23-9-33.png

Sawk was meant to have knock off over counter, but I somehow forgot to tutor it.

Replays are kind of pointless to show since you can almost always tell what's going to happen after both pokemon are sent out, barring hax or dumb opponents which isn't really worth watching.

Attachments

Last edited:
I was really up and down over day 2 and 3, rising above 1770, only to fall below 1710, but fortunately I was able to grind my way up back to finish at 1795. I ended up using azumarill way more than anything else, because it was winning a lot, and a lot of teams just seemed unprepared for it. One thing that made it difficult was that since this format has a lot more luck involved than any other format, it was easy to lose against low rated players, and for some reason about 95% of teams I faced had a lower rating and most of the times, at least 100-200 points lower so winning 3 games and losing 2 actually resulted in lower rating overall. One thing that caught me off guard was Dusclops which was very uncommon on showdown, but quite common with 1700's players and if it had rest, it beat my whole team except porygon-z. Aegislash was the other big weakness for my time, which is another reason I picked Azumarill a lot.
Here's my team
View attachment 61325

Sawk was meant to have knock off over counter, but I somehow forgot to tutor it.

Replays are kind of pointless to show since you can almost always tell what's going to happen after both pokemon are sent out, barring hax or dumb opponents which isn't really worth watching.
Hey, I think I battled you! You used your Avalugg against my Porygon-Z, and I tried to Trick you cause I had no idea what set up you had.

Hey, I think I battled you! You used your Avalugg against my Porygon-Z, and I tried to Trick you cause I had no idea what set up you had.
I don't remember that, so it was probably someone else. So many teams are so similar for this comp, that I sometimes couldn't tell whether I was facing a different person, or the same one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)