Webs still viable?

• Total voters
GastBra Webs???
| |
|
|
|

Introduction

This team is a team build around a GastBra core where both Gastly and Abra wear down their checks allowing the other to sweep. I chose Webs as my hazard of choice to allow both sweepers to outspeed other threats. Timburr is there because fighting types are good. Grimer-A Pursuit-Traps Abra and provides good poison support and Mudbray checks most physical attackers.

The Team

Dewpider @ Eviolite
Ability: Water Bubble
Level: 5
EVs: 52 HP / 196 Atk / 20 Def / 180 SpD / 60 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Magic Coat

Webs are a good entry hazard and Dewpider sets them well, though it gets KO'd by a 4 hit Rock Blast from Onix. Dewpider can not only set up webs but also take out a great number of threats with it's STAB combo. Magic Coat is a good surprise move to bounce back Taunt or opposing hazards. The spread allows it to outspeed 17 speed pokemon after webs.

Gastly @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 200 SpA / 80 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Substitute

The first part of the GastBra core, Gastly provides emergency Ground/Normal/Fighting immunites. Even with paper-thin defenses, it deters Choice Scarf Mienfoo and can switch in on Earthquake meant for Grimer-A. However it is always a risky switch. It can handle Pawniard with a Substitute-HP Fighting combo. It's dual STABS can weaken threats that could potentially counter Abra and itself.

Abra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 236 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam/Shadow Ball
- Counter
- Energy Ball

Abra is generally a good special wallbreaker. It pairs well with Gastly because it can eliminate Pursuit-Trappers such as Grimer-A with CounterSash. I chose Energy Ball as one of the coverage moves to hit Pokemon like Mudbray and Onix hard, and Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam both have good other coverage. Abra also can take out numerous fighting types or what comes in on the switches it forces with STAB and prediction coverage moves respectively.

Timburr (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch/Ice Punch

Fighting types are generally really good in LC and Timburr is one of the better ones. I chose Timburr over Mienfoo for bulk because with webs up, speed is not as important. I went for Iron Fist over Guts for guaranteed increase in damage. Thunder Punch/Ice Punch hits flying types and can hit other threats as well. Mach Punch can revenge kill Pawniard and Drain Punch is a great STAB move.

Grimer-Alola @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Grimer-A was chosen as a Pursuit trapper to counter threats like Abra. Eviolite gives it great bulk and it can spread poison with Poison Touch and Poison Jab. I went for Shadow Sneak over fire type coverage because of added poison chance with Poison Touch. Shadow Sneak also can net some important revenge kills. Knock Off removes Eviolite allowing a sweep to be easier.

Onix @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Endure

Onix provides this team with an emergency electric immunity as well as it's only flying resist. It can set up Stealth Rock to break Sash and Sturdy to additionally help sweep. Endure is there so it can more reliably counter flying types if Sturdy is broken. Rock Blast is good due to damage rolls in LC and Earthquake provides reliable STAB.

Threats

NP Vullaby: Vullaby completely destroys this team due to only one flying resist. Nasty Plot Vullaby in particular is bad because of Abra's inability to use CounterSash on it.
Snivy: As with all Webs teams, Snivy is good against them. Snivy gets a speed boost from the webs allowing it to basically get a free Choice Scarf. My only viable counter really is Grimer-A.
I probably missed alot of threats and hopefully you can point out some holes.

Replays

I don't really save replays but here are a few:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-670574211
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-670574785
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-670577120

Conclusion

Overall this team is a pretty solid team that got me to top 500 in LC ladder. Even though it has some holes, it can work really well.

Last edited:

Altariel von Sweep

They Who Laugh Last
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, UnderUsed Noob. Interesting team you got over here! From what I can see, your team lacks of much resistance against Mudbray, whose switch-ins you have seem to be null, though I can see that your plan is to keep Dewpider/Abra/Gastly safe by sacking a Pokémon and then attack. Shellder gives you almost no opportunity to execute the gameplan due to its offensive prowess, becoming into an inevitable 6-0 if not played correctly. (Note that if I see more weaknesses, I'll make you know it) Passing to the Pokémon:

1.-Dewpider's set should have 13 Speed > 12 Speed, since it can outspeed 19 Speed threats such as Abra, and tie with 20 Speed users such as Diglett and Elekid, being able to threaten them. It should run Adamant > Jolly, as so you can fully take advantage of Dewpider's offensive presence. Also, as a personal note, I'd go Mirror Coat > Magic Coat. The part about the Onix matchup is true, since it may have Taunt, but it will usually Rock Blast to try and take you out, making Magic Coat sometimes kill fodder. Mirror Coat, however, allows you to take out odd threats such as Nasty Plot Croagunk, which otherwise tanks you, taking it by surprise and netting spicy KOs.

2.-Abra should run either Hidden Power Ground or Hidden Power Fighting > Counter. The reason why I think it should will be explained onwards the post, but mostly not to become useless after it Counter KOed an enemy.

3.-Your Snivy weakness is quite self-explanatory because of its access to Defog and Contrary, but to patch this up, I'd recommend you to use Pawniard > Alolan Grimer. The reason is pretty evident, it deters Defog with Defiant, and checks it. About Pawniard set, I'd go either Swords Dance set (17 Attack, 16 Speed) or 4 Attacks (18 Attack, 15 Speed), with either Pursuit or Brick Break being one of them. The picks you make between these will make you have a greater advantage against different threats, while you keep Gastly and Abra on check, as well as checking better Shellder, which otherwise beats you.

4.-In place of Onix, I'd go Mudbray instead, since it can use Stealth Rock and also abuse Dewpider Webs, as well as soft checking Flying-types along with Pawniard. It should be Berry Juice Mudbray, which makes it easy to use Stealth Rock and then exert its offensive presence against the opponent's team, recovering its health for keep pressuring. EV spread should be 36 HP / 196 Attack / 36 Defense / 236 Speed, Adamant nature, making it be able to 2HKO the whole metagame. Moveset must be SR / EQ / Rock Slide / Heavy Slam for aforementioned reasons. Being able to switch into Alolan Grimer, despite being crippled, it can be forced out to ease Abra and Gastly work to sweep.

I think that's all from what I can see. This is my first rate, so if anything seems off, I will take in mind advice to keep improving.

Being said this, stick in Little Cup!

Fille

Afk
is a Pre-Contributor
LCPL Champion
Ait, this is gonna sound really harsh, but I don't think you should listen to AVS on this one (Although 99% of the time you should). The Mirror Coat>Magic Coat is an option, but really just about how you feel like playing your Dewpider, same goes for the set he suggests. While his is fine, yours is too. It's more about preference tbh.

Abra set is fine. Hp ground is a stupid idea if you're not running LO, hp fight still works but counter is preferable. It's SashAbra and not LO, with Gastly as the main sweeper of the core, so should stay that way imo.

As for the Pawniard > Grimes switch, it's a fine switch to make but doesn't change much, except that Pawn dies to snivy Leaf Storm+Appropriate coverage move (Can even die to Leaf Storm+Leaf Storm if rocks are up and you're unlucky), while Grimes actually lives Leaf Storm into Hp Ground and beats Snivy like that, safer switch-in.

Mudbray > Onix is a fine switch if you choose to go with Pawniard, otherwise no please don't.

Personally I don't like webs this gen tho, I think it's just bad (No offense to all the Dewpider fans). Personal suggestion would be to go with a strong fighting check that doesn't mind Mudbray > Dewpider, such as either Foongus(?) or Snubbull (Heavy Slam can be a bitch tho). Koffing or Mantyke could actually fucking work but that's just if you're ballsy enough.

Fighting Types/Mudbray/Birds like Doduo (Knock+Jump Kick=ByeBye Onix) or BU Rufflet seem like the biggest issue for your team, but should work ig just something to think about.

I really appreciate this team, I picked it up and rode it into the top ten on the Smogon ladder. So, thanks for that. There are definitely threats to the team but played correctly you can mitigate most of them. Against Snivy teams I just don't use webs until Snivy dies or not at all since Gastly, Abra, Grimer and even Timburr with Ice Punch can easily take it on. Shellder is definitely a massive threat to the team, but typically you can beat it with priority moves from Grimer and Timburr while only losing one pokemon. It can also only really set up on Dewpider since a hit from anything else into Timburr's Mach Punch tends to kill it after a shell smash. I wouldn't consider myself an authority on Little Cup by any means these are just the impressions I got from the team while playing it and laddering; I haven't really noticed any unmanageable threats. Onix seems to be the most replaceable member but trading Onix's life for some chip damage in order to facilitate a sweep with either Abra or Gastly has worked surprisingly well thus far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)