SM OU Gen 7 OU Hyper Offense (noob needs help)

My intention for this team is to be hyper offense...Not exactly sure how good a job it does at that, because I recently made some changes and my win/loss has been inconsistent. So...here it goes? (First timer too)

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Taunt

Obviously the lead, it can usually get out stealth rock, and either cripple bulkier leads, or kill weaker ones. Fire blast OHKOs Kartana, but Ferrothorn survives due to EVs in Attack instead of Special Attack. Also, faster taunt users and sleep-leads. Should I use explosion against ghost type leads for the sake of momentum? Would Alolan Golem be better?

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Wallbreaker, pretty self-explanatory. While a stab HF does the same damage as a 2x supereffective punch, I'd rather have a wider movepool, to prevent defense decreases, OHKO things that are 4x weak to the type, and prevent myself from getting walled by things that resist Dark. Its speed is its main problem, so...?

Greninja-Ash @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Extrasensory

Special Sweeper, kinda? Decent coverage, but things like other Greninjas, Defensive Azumarill, and more totally wall it. Would Keldeo be better? Greninja is very good in its Ash Greninja form, but prior to that, combined with the lack of Protean, it gets walled easily, and switching can be difficult due to the frail nature of my team. Any ideas, folks?

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Hammer Arm

Well, I kinda use it for the same reason everyone else does: hard hits, pivot, late game sweeper and wallbreaker. I'm trying to be slightly unconventional with explosion, but I really don't know if its any good. Is this worth a slot, or should something else be here?

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

This one may need a change. It does its job well as a set-up sweeper and wallbreaker, but I can't help but think there might be a more suitable mega. I've tried Mega Sharpedo (great), Mega Pidgeot, and more, but I'm not so good at gauging which is best. Its best use is when a Mon dies, leaving the enemy at really low health, letting Pincir get a quick attack kill, giving it a boost with Moxie.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Probably serves a similar role to Landorus...I think? Do I switch it out for something like Tinted Lense Yanmega or something else? I generally use it late in game, but sometimes it gets walled by Dark, Steel or Poison types.

Last edited:
Hi there, and welcome to the smogon forums. This team is pretty cool in concept, but I've noticed a few problems both in playtesting and off the bat.
First off, this azelf set is very odd. It still does a nice chunk to ferrothorn, but if you want to be able to deal with it better you could tweak the EVS to OKO after rocks, but all up to whether or not you want to sacrifice the explosion damage.
Azelf has a very good speed tier, and using a +attack is a pretty big waste. I'd also recommend U-turn over taunt, because the added momentum is great and Azelf isn't as good at taunting as mons as other users such as tapu koko, who can pivot around the entire game with good coverage.
Azelf @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
Another set change is Dual Dance Lando-T over Choice scarf lando-T

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
This gives you a nice setup sweeper and a good late-game plan. You could also run flyinium Z with SD and knock off(no rocks), but scarf lando doesn't fit too well on this team.

For Tapu Lele, I recommend psychock > psychic/shadowball/thunderbolt

These are simple set edits to start you off, I'm not exactly a god level team builder, so I'm sure others will help you out further. Good luck on your building and laddering :]

Hi there, and welcome to the smogon forums. This team is pretty cool in concept, but I've noticed a few problems both in playtesting and off the bat.
First off, this azelf set is very odd. It still does a nice chunk to ferrothorn, but if you want to be able to deal with it better you could tweak the EVS to OKO after rocks, but all up to whether or not you want to sacrifice the explosion damage.
Azelf has a very good speed tier, and using a +attack is a pretty big waste. I'd also recommend U-turn over taunt, because the added momentum is great and Azelf isn't as good at taunting as mons as other users such as tapu koko, who can pivot around the entire game with good coverage.
Azelf @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
Another set change is Dual Dance Lando-T over Choice scarf lando-T

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
This gives you a nice setup sweeper and a good late-game plan. You could also run flyinium Z with SD and knock off(no rocks), but scarf lando doesn't fit too well on this team.

For Tapu Lele, I recommend psychock > psychic/shadowball/thunderbolt

These are simple set edits to start you off, I'm not exactly a god level team builder, so I'm sure others will help you out further. Good luck on your building and laddering :]
u generally dont want to run a move on azelf thats not fire blast or explosion because its meant to die early game so it can die and u can choose what u want to do to beat it lol, u-turn is a big waste.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)