SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Isn't it ironic that every time I complain about Mallow not getting anything impactful in the anime, we get a preview of a what seems a Mallow episode? Maybe I should do that more consistently.
They need to give these characters quests, what is their purpose? Same with Iris and even Misty. At least May and dawn and Serena had contests/showcases.

They need to give these characters quests, what is their purpose? Same with Iris and even Misty. At least May and dawn and Serena had contests/showcases.
Iris had purpose she was a dragon trainer and wanted to go back to her town a dragon master like the ppl in her village before her. So she sent of on a conquest to conquer that.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Iris had purpose she was a dragon trainer and wanted to go back to her town a dragon master like the ppl in her village before her. So she sent of on a conquest to conquer that.
Similar to Misty who was a water trainer wanted to become a water master and went back to her hometown to be a gym leader like her sisters before her. They are also in the gyms/E4 in games.

Overall, I meant they didn't accomplish anything during their travels with ash. Both of their strongest Pokémon were sort of given to them (Gyarados for Misty, Dragonite for Iris), we could even say Tracey had a mission during the orange islands, but really he didn't accomplish anything. Yeah he caught a scyther, but not much came of his journey.

Last edited:
Similar to Misty who was a water trainer wanted to become a water master and went back to her hometown to be a gym leader like her sisters before her. They are also in the gyms/E4 in games.

Overall, I meant they didn't accomplish anything during their travels with ash. Both of their strongest Pokémon were sort of given to them (Gyarados for Misty, Dragonite for Iris), we could even say Tracey had a mission during the orange islands, but really he didn't accomplish anything. Yeah he caught a scyther, but not much came of his journey.
That't true they we'er kinda "along for the ride" and caused a kinda "blandness" about them.

Tracey is a Pokémon artist - his goal was making drawings of the various unique Pokémon found on the Orange Islands. It's true that this isn't too ambitious of a goal, but he did encounter some exceptional Pokémon there. He then settles down with Professor Oak to help with his research as he is also good at seeing subtle differences between Pokémon to draw conclusions based on that. Overall, he did accomplish the things he was set out to do.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That hype though

Ash & Pikachu meet up with Brock & Misty and battles them once more, Brock with Mega Steelix and Misty with Mega Gyarados.
THEY'RE BRINGING BACK MISTY AND BROCK THAT'S AWESOM... why are they in their original series attire? Geez, we've only seen ONE frame and already they messed up, how do you do that?

But hey, awesome they're rocking Mega Pokemon (now all Ash needs to do is get Charizard and learn to Mega Evolve it. NO I WON'T LET THIS GO)! Also they're not coming to Alola, apparently Ash is visiting Kanto and I guess goes to the Pewter & Cerulean Gyms (guess he lucked out Brock being there... they do remember Brock became a Pokemon doctor and gave Gym Leader responsibilities to Foster, right?) to quickly see and have a battle with them (though at one point looks like they both join Ash, probably for a dinner in Pallet Town). A shame they won't be in Alola, especially Brock as I would have loved to see his reaction to Olivia. Gym Leaders need a vacation too.

I'm wondering if they're doing this just to assure fans that, no, the recent movie didn't retcon out Misty's & Brock's time with Ash.

THEY'RE BRINGING BACK MISTY AND BROCK THAT'S AWESOM... why are they in their original series attire? Geez, we've only seen ONE frame and already they messed up, how do you do that?

But hey, awesome they're rocking Mega Pokemon (now all Ash needs to do is get Charizard and learn to Mega Evolve it. NO I WON'T LET THIS GO)! Also they're not coming to Alola, apparently Ash is visiting Kanto and I guess goes to the Pewter & Cerulean Gyms (guess he lucked out Brock being there... they do remember Brock became a Pokemon doctor and gave Gym Leader responsibilities to Foster, right?) to quickly see and have a battle with them (though at one point looks like they both join Ash, probably for a dinner in Pallet Town). A shame they won't be in Alola, especially Brock as I would have loved to see his reaction to Olivia. Gym Leaders need a vacation too.

I'm wondering if they're doing this just to assure fans that, no, the recent movie didn't retcon out Misty's & Brock's time with Ash.
I'm just glad they're still using Megas

I really loved Episode 39. Even though Mao didn't accomplish something, it was nice to see her getting a little bit more focus. Also loved almost every scene with Oranguru, be it with Bewear or any scene he was serving a drink. Kinda weird to see Gumshoos guarding the restaurant and dinning.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Steelix is a mega Ground/Steeel pokemon ... for a rock type gym leader who is also a doctor :D
Well in the past, Pokemon Gym leaders and Elite Four members have had Pokemon that aren't the type of the gym. Take Lorelei for example, who had a Slowbro on her team, which isn't an ice type. Basically, my point is, it's not unheard of to have a type that is different from the theme of the gym. However, they're usually similar types, like Water is similar to Ice in the case of Slowbro and Lorelei.

So does this give a hint at more mega evolution's since they haven't fully threw the concept away? Either way im so f...kn hype!!

Last edited:
I am only bothered them wearing old clothing since it reminds me that Ash will never age. I know people make fun of it over and over again and I understand why the show does it, but it bothers the hell out of me.
Other than that, looking forward to see them. I wonder if that is a hint to something regarding the upcoming games.

We're not going to really get into "Ash never ages" BS again, are we? Long-running TV shows don't have aging characters. Just look at the Simpsons, South Park, or something like that. When they do age, it's like one year in two or three decades. Shows where characters do age like Avatar, Naruto and Dragon Ball are the exception, not the rule. And they always have a point where they eventually end. Pokémon doesn't want Ash to age because they don't want to brand a new main character. Simple as that.

Does revisiting Kanto have any implication on the upcoming USUM? They are going to showcase the 2 most iconic gyms in Kanto + that location in the trailer that resembles Lt. Surge's gym seem too much to be nothing?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
We're not going to really get into "Ash never ages" BS again, are we? Long-running TV shows don't have aging characters. Just look at the Simpsons, South Park, or something like that. When they do age, it's like one year in two or three decades. Shows where characters do age like Avatar, Naruto and Dragon Ball are the exception, not the rule. And they always have a point where they eventually end. Pokémon doesn't want Ash to age because they don't want to brand a new main character. Simple as that.
The Simpsons and South Park are comedies and aren't supposed to have any sort of progression. Pokémon isn't purely a comedy and is supposed to be about the main character's journey and growth. This makes Ash's lack of aging very jarring.

Does revisiting Kanto have any implication on the upcoming USUM? They are going to showcase the 2 most iconic gyms in Kanto + that location in the trailer that resembles Lt. Surge's gym seem too much to be nothing?
I've already said that I thought Kanto would be featured somehow in Gen 7's "third game". If it's a continuation, we could really go to Kanto, battle the gym leaders there and see Lillie as the new E4 Champion xD.

The Simpsons and South Park are comedies and aren't supposed to have any sort of progression. Pokémon isn't purely a comedy and is supposed to be about the main character's journey and growth. This makes Ash's lack of aging very jarring.
I understand your point, but technically, the progression and journey reset every new generation. Every generation is a new beginning, that's why, even if Ash did age at some point, he'd just get back to square 0 at the beginning of the season after. If you remember, he did age, since in movie 3 (iirc), the special Pikachu movie had Ash and Pikachu celebrating their one year together.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Episode was enjoyable but not something I'm likely to revist especially if Hydro Vortex is shown later down the line.

ANYWAY EVEN MORE IMPORTANT NEWS

Ah, so it's a class field trip to Kanto so the Alolan crew will be present. Well you know what that means: Ash's Charizard VS Kiawe's Charizard. Not the Ash's Charizard battle we were looking forward too, but hopefully will last longer than the last one (sadly without Mega Evolution... unless they have a surprise for us).

Also I would actually like to see the rest of Ash's Pokemon besides Bulbasaur and Tauros. If you need a reason you can have a skit where Lillie is trying not to get touched by any of the Pokemon in Professor Oak's lab but Ash's Pokemon keep popping up, make contact with Lillie somehow, and freak her out.

So Misty and Brock are meeting them at the airport, guess Ash called them (why didn't you do that when you came home from Unova & Kalos)? And come on writers, you couldn't find a reason to bring Olivia along to do the Brock love struck joke? You put Misty & Brock back in their original clothes you could have come up with something. :P Anyway, Misty stopped Brock with an ear pull, I know we see Steelix and Gyarados but are we seeing their other Pokemon too?

Oh, Jigglypuff, they remember you existed! Eh, with Alola being more of a gag season wouldn't hurt if Jigglypuff somehow ends up in Alola.

Wtf man they didn't bring back Croagunk for Brock falling in love? That sucks
My thoughts, I loved croagunk and honestly he was the best punchline to Brock joke. Seeing him being dragged offscreen after the jab and the other characters continue as if nothing happened was quite hilarious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)