SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Hmm... few points. Not much though, since this is pretty much just the Altar scene.

Who knows that while they just knew each other, the writers ship Kukui and Burnet like it officially is? I started seeing since the sleepover.

There's leftover warm feelings from the scene back in game Sun Moon, although arguable since it is true that Ash was the one Nebby lived with, though she does have little moment with it. But at least it also has Ash offering konpeito too. It's more silly than it's meant to be emotional with that lick, but feels like it counts as we're talking about Ash, it's still warming.

Now what I wonder is what Nebby is going to do after the next episode... staying with Ash? I mean, Nebby now? I feel like the writers would be reluctant to let Ash have a freaking Legendary.

And....
Yup, at least 3 of Lusamine's full team is there. Oh screws, this is going to be amazing. I'm expecting to great battle and musics here. Although this time Ash got all his friends on his back, but looks like Totem Boost would make her a threat even with Kaki and Turtonator.

Last edited:
Anime writers... this means nothing:

It wasn't Lillie who formed a strong bond with Nebby in the anime, it was Ash. You can't just recreate a visual from the games and expect it to have the same emotional impact without the subtext behind it being the same.
I kinda disagree. She asks to touch it, and feels its warmth through touch. Also, Nebby was named by Lillie and was the catalyst for Lillie's transformation into her Z-form. Also, don't forget that Lillie is the one who can make Nebby stop crying.
Also:

Now Lusamine has her eyes closed so maybe she's unconscious while the Nihilego just uses her body as a host?
That'll be awesome. But she opens her eyes. She's somewhat conscious, even though UB Parasite is the one calling the shots.

Since they're getting the game plot out of the way early this time, it makes you wonder what they're going to do after. We're barely 60 eps into SM and the whole main villain/team plot of the games is done with already. Either SM really will be a short generation at only 2 years or they will adapt some of USUM plots into the anime somehow.

Although with the SM anime being structured so differently than every past saga, they can just go back to more slice of life eps. Instead of trekking through endless fillers like we did in Johto, and some parts of AG or DP, now we just have Ash and his schoolmates doing stuff at one place. Also given Lillie has no real goal anime-wise, after they cover her parts from the games I wonder if she'll just become a background character again. She can't very well leave for Kanto to be a trainer while SM is still airing, although that'll probably be the reason for her departure when SM ends. The other characters will probably stay in Alola.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Since they're getting the game plot out of the way early this time, it makes you wonder what they're going to do after. We're barely 60 eps into SM and the whole main villain/team plot of the games is done with already. Either SM really will be a short generation at only 2 years or they will adapt some of USUM plots into the anime somehow.

Although with the SM anime being structured so differently than every past saga, they can just go back to more slice of life eps. Instead of trekking through endless fillers like we did in Johto, and some parts of AG or DP, now we just have Ash and his schoolmates doing stuff at one place. Also given Lillie has no real goal anime-wise, after they cover her parts from the games I wonder if she'll just become a background character again. She can't very well leave for Kanto to be a trainer while SM is still airing, although that'll probably be the reason for her departure when SM ends. The other characters will probably stay in Alola.
We'll probably move to a USUM storyline now. Wouldn't be surprised if the next season is called "Ultra Sun & Moon" like how the last season of XY was "XY & Z".

We'll probably move to a USUM storyline now. Wouldn't be surprised if the next season is called "Ultra Sun & Moon" like how the last season of XY was "XY & Z".
I think we'll see Lillie's development as a trainer, that'll be her goal.

I also think that the plot between the end of SM game story until USUM game story will be how the kids develop into Trial Captains. Mallow and Sophocles have yet to get their Z-Rings, and that development could be a good way to fill the time between Monster Mama and Necrozma shenanigans.

The nice part is that, with Team Rocket already in Alola, the insertion of Rainbow Rocket, if they want to get that into the Anime, won't be too much of a hustle.

I'm starting to think that Vulpix (Snowball or whatever) should have been Nebby. I wonder if they did that so that Ash wouldn't become a secondary character even though for this arc he kind of is.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Welp we are gioing to get hat pikachu z move in the anime.
Already? I thought we were going to go through the process of Pikachu first using the basic Electric Z-Move, than upgrade to using the every Pikachu Z-Move, than finally it'll end on it getting the Cap Pikachu Z-Move.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That would require ash teaching pikachu volt tackle again.

So nope we are stuck with electro ball.
Ugh... wait, why would that be a problem? Pikachu only got Electro Ball because it was a Gen V move. With Gen V gone and there being a Volt Tackle move tutor in the games there should be no reason why Pikachu shouldn't get it again especially if it'll show off a Z-Move.

Ugh... wait, why would that be a problem? Pikachu only got Electro Ball because it was a Gen V move. With Gen V gone and there being a Volt Tackle move tutor in the games there should be no reason why Pikachu shouldn't get it again especially if it'll show off a Z-Move.
In anime reason, Ash disliked the recoil and needed a move to cover pikachu weakness when grabbed by the tail.

Real reason, OLM got lazy and wanted an orb attack instead of a charge animation that had to recycle a lot of backgrounds for the choreography to work.

This changed in gen 6 and dynamic backgrounds with 3d layers for "slides but gen4-5 minimalistic animation already did the damage.

So....

They have Lusamine running away while dropping her Pokemon. Each Pokemon of hers matches the friends' specialty (save for Mismagius vs Togedemaru). They swapped the teddy bear since it's already with Team Rocket, but still managed to put at least 4 of her team's mon from SuMn, with other two fitted for the situation. Classic separated teammates taking care of the goons situation.

But at least here, I like that more about Lilie's childhood are shown than in SuMn and certainly much better than in U-SM. Including her closeness to Lusamine's Clefable which relates to her iconic PokeDoll. It fits Lilie well.

Yeah, it is villainous downgrade, Lusamine is reduced to a mere (woman)child, but since we know Lusamine here isn't the psycho we had in SuMn, I suppose it's OK. Lilie will still give her a Reason You Suck speech, though.

Oh, and also Lusamine puts her Pokemon in measly balls, unlike Gladio. We actually see that his Blacky/Umbreon is in Heal Ball, fitting for how he found it when little.

Maybe Ash will got the honour of actually battling the Motherbeast itself, unlike us SuMn players....

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This has me curios. So Alt-Ash isn't a one off thing, seems like maybe all the Gen VII movies will be starring him. But the question is what would this movie be about? The 20th was a re-telling of Ash's first adventure in Kanto, but what about this one? A brand new adventure unique to this Ash? That's what I'm getting from his clothes and this new girl. And being they just introduced a new Mythical in USUM it'll probably be in it (maybe this one will be set in Alola?).

Also, curious if that means Necrozma and all the other Ultra Beasts will be handled in the anime. The anime can get away with not showing all the human characters (it being a missed opportunity and disappointing is a entirely different story), but they have to show all the Pokemon (be it show or a movie, which is how they snuck Porygon's evolution in) and I can't really see any time to show the Ultra Beasts outside of Alola.

Ash's outfit still looks Kantonian though? I feel like movies are now making new separate canon from current anime. It looks like starting from the last Movie, the movie is now running on completely alternate timeline to literally everything we had known before. Could be interesting.

Ash's eyes though. Being used with larger eyes as of SuMn anime now, this is just....

I guess the Sun/Moon anime cast will never be in a movie now that they've been passed over two movies in a row for reboot/alternate universe movies. It doesn't matter much, but I guess fans of the SM characters will never get to see them in movie animation like all the past main characters.

Then again Ash's companions generally don't do much in the movies anyway, so I suppose it doesn't really matter. The worst offender was Brock, who despite being in a whopping 12 movies, did absolutely nothing in most of them besides a small role in Movie 3 battling Molly. I seriously don't think Brock did a single thing of interest in the AG or DP movies at all. By that point of the series he was basically treated like wallpaper anyway.

Just saw the latest episode. My thoughts: I felt like this part of the anime was waaay to rushed. In previous series, it took much longer thanks to them actually incorporating the essentials to build up the plot. Here, Guzma hasn’t appeared at all, and Team Skull hasn’t appeared done anything aside from those 3 grunts. As for Solgaleo, it should have been Lillie not Ash, who bonds with it. This could have been Lillie’s first step as a trainer, with her obtaining the Z-Power Ring, and her obtaining Solgalium Z. But no, the anime went the cliche and boring route by going Ash as hero. Speaking of which, Ash receives Solgalnium Z, which he doesn’t use because Pikashunium Z magically materializes. Pokémon should go back to English Class, because we all know, inputting a symbol or talisman in the story for no reason is a crime. They tried to make it Ash’s adventure, but it really Lillie’s adventure, which is why is doesn’t work.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Just saw the latest episode. My thoughts: I felt like this part of the anime was waaay to rushed. In previous series, it took much longer thanks to them actually incorporating the essentials to build up the plot. Here, Guzma hasn’t appeared at all, and Team Skull hasn’t appeared done anything aside from those 3 grunts. As for Solgaleo, it should have been Lillie not Ash, who bonds with it. This could have been Lillie’s first step as a trainer, with her obtaining the Z-Power Ring, and her obtaining Solgalium Z. But no, the anime went the cliche and boring route by going Ash as hero. Speaking of which, Ash receives Solgalnium Z, which he doesn’t use because Pikashunium Z magically materializes. Pokémon should go back to English Class, because we all know, inputting a symbol or talisman in the story for no reason is a crime. They tried to make it Ash’s adventure, but it really Lillie’s adventure, which is why is doesn’t work.
I'd say Creative Writing than English class, but I get your sentiment and I agree. They had PLENTY of time to set things up, especially since they abandoned the basic setup of the island challenge and had more freedom. But instead of using that to build up the story they wasted it on slice-of-life filler because Yo-Kai Watch was successful (which, BTW, the same company that animates the Pokemon anime also did the Yo-Kai Watch anime).

Now, I think no matter what the story would have been rushed due to Pokemon Company wanting the anime to tie with USUM, though still we could have introduced way more important characters from the games (like by now we should have been introduced to Plumeria, and I'm not even going to bring up the odd exclusion of Hau). Instead of Faba directly kidnapping Nebby they could have had it be the introduction of Guzma and do what they sort of did in the games. Team Skull would kidnap Snowy (BTW, Lillie should have been the one to bond with Nebby), Ash and co. (Kiawe, Mallow, Lana, & Sophocles) would go to Po Town to rescue it, Ash would defeat Guzma who would give back Snowy vowing revenge, and when they get back they'll discover that Plumeria (who, as I said, would have been introduced in a previous episode. I imagine she'd just want to strike back against the Trainer School for humiliating her dumb lil skull brothers and sisters than provide Ash & co. with their first major threat which they'd only narrowly win) had kidnap Lillie and Snowy. Now, since anime Lusamine is "good", they'd instead be working for Faba. Gladion would follow his game counterpart and take Ash & co. to Aether Paradise to tell Lusamine what's happening right under her nose (they could keep the subplot of Faba taking Type: Null). Reason Guzma would be working for Faba is because Faba "promised" they'd get their hands on some Ultra Beasts (he's lying of course, though Guzma is planning on double crossing him anyway and take the Ultra Beasts for himself). Things would go as they did in the anime until finally Lusamine is grabbed by Nihilego. Before anyone coud follow Guzma would knock them back and jump into the Ultra Wormhole before it closed. Skip forward to Ash & co. getting to Ultra Space, they'd find Guzma as he was at that point in the game, explaining they ended up in the Nihilego nest where he and Lusamine got into an arguement of protecting of using the Ultra Beasts. But they'd then get possessed and, while Guzma explained he got "rejected", Lusamine was accepted.

I'll stop there as I think you'd see my point. It's not bad because it was rushed, it's bad because the writers squandered their time.

There's still 10+ more Ultra Beasts to feature in the anime, plus Team Skull has been been focused on. There's definitely going to be another big arc of sorts towards the end of SM. Lusamine is bound to stick around too.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
There's still 10+ more Ultra Beasts to feature in the anime, plus Team Skull has been been focused on. There's definitely going to be another big arc of sorts towards the end of SM. Lusamine is bound to stick around too.
And the Ultra Recon Squad, and Necrozma, and Ash's Island Challenge, and how can the anime resist Rainbow Rocket (well, rather easily they resisted XY's Looker Missions and ORAS's Delta Episode)?

I... knew this felt too rushed, or by any matter using the provided time not properly, making poor pacing....

I felt like Ash suddenly do the 10M Volt bolt with no foreshadowing (other than the island exploring back before, and even then it has only bonding time with Pikachu, not this) rubs the wrong way. I try to justify that for myself, since it is Ash that we talk about, but then the way the Z-crystal simply just came and went away is quite a definition of Arceus Ex Machina.
Oh well, looks like Ash serves the same role as SuMn player character anyway: Lilie's muscle. And that's it.
Then again, maybe because children won't stomach complexity of more stories....
Lilie's work is heartwarming, but the pacing again... sad that Litten's backstory is more properly-written than what's supposedly to be main focus....

Anyway, I'll try to look at the good things. At least they know how to make use of abilities, having Clefable skip on the poison pool with Magic Guard and Gladio's common knowledge to type advantages. Moku-shot is pretty hilarious and also Salazle's face when Marowak's about to bone-whack her.

I hope I won't be too disappointed further. Maybe they'll continue Ash's trials, and throw U-SM into the mix. I am thinking that they could have other dimension's Giovanni for Rainbow Rocket, seeing how different they are to currently (laughable yet lovable) Rocket Trio, maybe setting them into quest to kick out Rainbow Rocket out from them the true Rocket.

And I'm surprised Faba isn't getting kicked out yet and still happily working with Wicke? Or maybe he's already sunk to mook position as he was in the games?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)