ORAS NU :ghost:

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
shoutouts Christo. for grammar check and to Arifeen & GrilledClawitzer for title inspiration

sacri' won 2 opens by haxing this year when he ghosted king uu I guess (cwl) - Omfuga
Introduction

Hi Smogon, I'm Sacri' and I'm here to share the team that I have enjoyed using the most during my NU open run. The team has been succesfull enough to go undeafeated from r4 through semi finals, I've used it in the decisive game each round and it always allowed me to take the series. The team itself is a relatively standard Bulky Offense, being my favorite style in every tier I play. It showcases a relatively underrated wallbreaker in Haunter.

I believe I built this team prior my R4 match vs Hootie. I basically checked the tierlist and thought that Haunter might put in work vs the balanced teams he seemed to like and went from there. This team definitively has threats, but overall, it has good defensive synergy and enough power to break most bulky teams, which makes most match ups manageable. I thought this team would be interesting to share to the community mostly because of it's success in the competitive scene.

Teambuilding Process

I wanted to use Haunter because of it's potential as a wallbreaker as it's STAB combination has very few switch ins. At first, I considered using WoW, but Shadowtags told me about Reflect type to lure Skuntank and Ferrossed. It sounded interesting so I went with it.
Haunter does a great job pressuring poison types, which are the main way users handle Bulk Up Gurdurr. Due to this, I thought it would be a good idea to add it to the team. It has great defensive utility, and works extremely well as a win condition. I was very confident with this choice on the team.
At this point in the teambuilding process, I had a bulky pivot in mind, as Haunter and Gurdurr both appreciate free switch ins. Lanturn has awesome defensive utility, allowing it to deal with many common pokemon such as Pyroar, without ruining the team's momentum.
I figured a solid answer to Psychic Types would be beneficial for the team, as they are very prevalent in the metagame . Shiftry was my choice as it is a good emergency button if the hazards my opponent is using gets out of hand. On top of that, Shiftry has great wallbreaking ability, so the offensive pressure is still there.

I still lacked a Stealth Rock user and I really liked what Rhydon brought alongside it. It's great bulk allows it to check most physical attackers well, and it makes sure Lanturn doesn't get overwhelmed checking Electric, Fire & Flying types that could otherwise give me trouble.

Scarf Mesprit was the icing on the cake, as it granted me speed control with a choice scarf, as well as the ability to support the rest of the team with Healing Wish.

In-Depth

Haunter @ Life Orb | Levitate
252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Timid
Shadow Ball | Sludge Bomb | Hidden Power [Ground] | Reflect Type​

Arguably the most underrated Ghost type in NU, Haunter acts as a means to pressure the balanced & bulkier teams that are really common in the tier. This pokemon has little to no switch ins, which makes it very dangerous as long as it's able to get free switch ins. The main counter to Haunter is Skuntank because it resists both Haunters STABs. This is where Reflect Type comes into play. You copy Skuntank's typing so you don't get trapped. HP Ground also allows Haunter to 2HKO Skuntank with ease.

Haunter is a glass cannon, so Volt Turn core makes sure it can get in safely. You can attempt to bring it in against fairy types, which usually cant do much damages to it, though. Timid is essential as Haunter can get a free hit vs Mesprit which usually gets outsped and OHKod by Haunter, and we all know how important that is considering how popular Mesprit is. While Haunter works better versus bulky teams, it's not dead weight versus offensive teams. Even though it won't switch into much, it can still revenge kill things like Liligant, Mesprit, and basically anything that is slower and has already taken prior damage.

Gurdurr @ Eviolite| Guts
252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Atk | Adamant
Bulk Up | Knock Off | Drain Punch | Mach Punch​

Gurdurr is my only set up sweeper, so it will end up being my win condition for most games. Gurdurr is one of those pokemon that will put work well in essentially every game. It checks a ton of common physical attackers such as Tauros, Shiftry, Piloswine, Rhydon, Hitmonchan, Liepard, etc. Bulk Up is used to increase Gurdurr's Attack and Defense, allowing it to threaten balanced teams more consistently. Knock Off cripples everything in the tier beside Audino and it forces psychic types to think twice before coming in.

This pokemon fulfills many roles on the team. It is used to either sponge a hit from certain attackers or just straight up win if the opponent's checks have been weakened enough. Healing Wish on Mesprit in conjunction with it's really good physical bulk allows more risky play which is essential in order to keep up momentum.

Lanturn @ Assault Vest| Volt Absorb
96 SpD / 160 Spe / 252 SpA | Modest
Volt Switch | Scald | Ice Beam | Hidden Power [Grass]​

Lanturn is one of the team's pivots. Volt Switch is extremely useful in order to keep up momentum and the wallbreakers on the team truly appreciate a free team to threaten the opposing team. Thanks to it's typing, ability, and great special bulk in combination with Assault Vest, Lanturn can come in on a lot of special attackers in order to keep the momentum on my side. It's not 2HKO'd by Pyroar which allows it to switch in at least once, it doesnt take much from any of Rotom's moves, it's not 2hkod by Freeze Dry from Aurorus, and it also walls Special Samurott. These are the typical threatening pokemon you want to be able to pivot into. Scald is the mandatory stab, which prevents ground types from coming in on Volt Switch. Ice beam is used to make sure grass types aren't given any free turn and it's just useful in general to have more coverage. Hidden Power [Grass] is obviously used to 2HKO Gastrodon which would usually always stop Lanturn in it's tracks.

Shiftry @ Life Orb| Chlorophyll
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA | Hasty
Knock Off | Leaf Storm | Sucker Punch | Defog​

Shifry is the second wallbreaker on the team, able to threaten most pokemon thanks to it's STAB Knock off. As stated in the teambuilding process, it helps keep psychic types in check and it's also my way to beat to bulky waters. Knock Off + Leaf Storm has little to no real answer in the tier, meaning every time Shiftry comes in something on the opposing team is either crippled or KO'd. Sucker Punch gives Shiftry some utility vs Offense as it's strong enough to KO pokemon like Tauros after prior damage. Shiftry normally doesn't use Defog, as it is usually better off attacking. Although it can come clutch in certain scenarios. It is used as a mixed attacker as Leaf Storm is simply stronger, while also more confidentally switching into Scald.

Rhydon @ Eviolite| Rock Head
16 Atk / 16 Spe / 236 SpD / 240 HP | Adamant
Earthquake | Rock Blast| Megahorn | Stealth Rocks​

There is not enough words to express my love for Rhydon. It has enough bulk to deal with many offensive threats, packs enough power to threaten the opposing team and can set up rocks easily on top of that. Having a Stealth Rock user that packs a lot of defensive utilities without being passive is priceless in this metagame. The set itself is really straightforward, Rock Blast threatens what Earthquake doesn't, while Megahorn is used for extra damage on psychic types and that's about it. Rhydon's bulk also helps make sure Lanturn doesn't get overloaded by all the things it's supposed to check, mainly Magmortar and Scyther. It's also my best means of dealing with Malamar which is otherwise quite annoying. It's natural power also allows it to break through bulky mons such as Clefairy, which otherwise cripples everything.

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf| Levitate
252 Spe / 252 SpDA/ 4 HP | Timid
Psychic| Ice Beam| U-Turn | Healing Wish​

I chose Choice Scarf Mesprit a fast pivot was really needed here. Something to outspeed fast threats such as Tauros or Swellow is essential to make sure the bulkier pokemon on the team don't get overloaded by the offensive pressure these kind of pokemon bring. U-Turn + Healing Wish makes Mesprit incredibly useful on this team, as it helps to get momentum and support the team simultaneously. Healing a pokemon of my choice can obviously come clutch in a number of games. Psychic is meant to be spammed versus Offensive teams when the resists to it are gone and having a mon to threaten things like Weezing and Gurdurr is obviously great as well. Ice beam is mostly here for the coverage although Psychic and U-Turn are the moves used the most.

Threatlist (Most important ones)

Calm Mind Audino is definitively a huge threat, it needs to be played around extremely well between Haunter and Gurdurr not to lose to it. Toxic Spikes are annoying considering half of the team is weak to it and Shiftry isn't the best at defogging. Rock Polish Rhydon definitively has the potential to give me hell if Gurdurr is weakened.

Conclusion

I'd like to thank you guys for reading, hope you enjoyed it! I'm obviously open to any criticism, feel free to leave them down below. I really am glad I had to rely on winning NU open to reach Grand Slam Playoffs as it allowed me to focus on this great tier, also a huge thank to everyone who helped me when I started building.

Shoutouts

Feel like it'll be really similar to my NU open one but I'll try not to forget anyone this time

NU Community: as I said above I really am thankful for how welcoming you guys were to me Advantage Teddeh Prince Lucian ~Eternally Shadowtags HJAD Earth Shaneghoul Yogibears Bouff Shadestep Threw (cant put you in UU anymore, still love you though <3)

French people I like: Mounts Cicada cdumas Aquadext Gastrik Scythe. Holiano Fairy Peak Leftiez

UU Community: It has been so long since I first joined the UU room Killintime (posted a NU one to make sure you wouldnt vulture the team :P) IronBullet (you are an awesome contributor as well as one of the sweetest person I've talked to on the internet) GrilledClawitzer (love <3) Ice Tea (go get em!) dodmen (grats on TL, get us through SUMO UU!) warzoid (remember the project where we teamed up a build together ? i do) Sam I Yam King UU (<33) Christo. (you get a double shoutout hope you feel honored) Accelgor (you know how I feel about you already) Cyndequil. (hey i like u even though it's hard to admit) Mazz (let's talk a bit more i like u) LeoLancaster (grats on RO again dudeee) TSR (you know how I feel about your potential as a player, keep going :D) Amaroq (same as TR pretty much + you are funny) Hogg (you're great) teal6 (not sure if I should still put you in UU but I'll do it anyway, you're cool) Eutychios (so proud of your evolution since I tutored you) Stallion (dont quit ily D:) and I think I still forgot like 10 people but it's getting late, rip.

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Haunter @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Reflect Type

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 96 SpD / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 236 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Ice Beam

Last edited:
yo, solid af team and I remember being super impressed by its solidarity in particular when I first tested this with you. It serves as a real reminder of the extraordinary development process you had to go through in order to reach to win nu open and achieve grand slam playoffs.

my only suggestion would be to run chlorophyll > pickpocket on Shiftry to improve your matchup vs sun teams drastically, you struggle vs that weather matchup if you lose a sucker 50/50 (but it's important to have chloro so you can not play the sucker games and hit the liepard on the switch).

grats on your success, couldn't imagine someone who deserved it more :3

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Maybe you could use Signal Beam on Lanturn to make your Malamar match-up a little less awkward. Seeing as you don't have SBeam on Mesprit I'd say it's definitely a need. Either that or replace U-turn with Signal Beam on your Mesprit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)