Goodbye 1.0.53S

tl;dr--the Smogon PO server is back to reporting its version as 1.0.53. If you have downloaded our custom client, you can keep it, or you can revert back to using the standard version available for download from Pokemon Online. It shouldn't matter one way or the other, but support for 1.0.53S is discontinued as of today.

For those of you who don't know, Pokemon Online version 1.0.53S was our custom client that was modified specifically to allow VGC players to have battles on our server that were closer to real VGC conditions than your standard PO battle. Players were limited to one minute per turn to select their moves, and battles were limited to 15 minutes overall. Furthermore, if the 15-minute timer elapsed without the battle finishing, the winner would be chosen based on VGC conditions.

What I *didn't* know at the time and only, in fact, learned just recently, was that my implementation of the one-minute-per-move condition was wrong. Specifically, if a player fails to make a move in that one minute time frame, they don't automatically forfeit. Instead, the game selects a move for the player (I don't know the full details--I don't play VGC). Furthermore, VGC players were apparently unhappy with the fact that--due to lack of animations taking up time--battles were about twice as long as they should be.

Bottom line: my customizations made the situation worse, not better. I wish I had known this months ago, as maintaining a separate client for players that didn't even want it was quite a hassle. But, in the end, there's no use crying over it.

The point is, I have removed these custom VGC timers, and subsequently there's no reason for players who come to the Smogon PO server to use anything but the standard PO 1.0.53 client. There should be no harm in continuing to use 1.0.53S if you want to, but we will no longer be offering any form of support for it.

That is all. Have a good day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)