Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Classic MrE start but I also think strife held on to his conc and equality for too long. Several times I found myself going down a different line of play for tempo (how he should have done it) vs control and savoring his only equality

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Should just run two Equality anyway, OP card yo. Also should really run a Murloc Knight in his list, that's the best part about running Curator in Paladin. I sure am glad he didn't mash my face with the Truesilver though, I had such an awkward draw there was no way I was squeezing more damage out of my combo. With a better draw I can often set up for 50+ against slow control decks and kill dudes through N'Zoth boards or Warrior through their armor. :/

Obligatory sellout post since the new expansion is probably gonna be announced Nov 4th (and I hit 600 posts...wooo!)

Stack dat bread, boys!

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Should also be noted that Lifecoach was brought on by Blizzard to assess the state of competitive hearthstone and he's heavily involved in the upcoming expansion so hopefully that means very few good rng cards

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I started playing an OTK deck that is completely hilarious to play for fun (albeit the combo loses to really hard to anything aggro, especially shaman).

Not pictured here is Curator. The goal is to Russian Dragonhawk+Faceless+Tundra Rhino and at least 2-3 buffs. This means that a lot of card draw is required which is why I run drake, jones, and oracle. Most of the time you only need 2 buffs because by turn 10, you can deal around 24 damage, but if you can get that 3rd buff, then you are game. The weaknesses this deck obviously faces are taunt minions, as there aren't a lot of tools to get rid of them, as well as decks that can swarm the board quickly to deplete the hunter health.

Midrange Shaman and certain Warrior decks are really tough to deal with like C'thun Warrior, for which you will want to get all 4 buffs if you can. That should deal at least a total of 40 damage in one turn including hero power and tundra rhino.

But yeah, this is mostly a trash-tier deck that is fun to play at low-ranked ladder where most people don't expect an otk coming from Hunter, and most people don't play mid-range shaman either so it ends up working at least 60% of the time.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Welcome to Heroic Tavern Brawl, where Standard gets the Arena treatment and may the best regular competitive player win. AKA Beta Tournament Mode with a one thousand golderino buy-in

For my own reference as much as anyone else's, expected rewards:

35% win rate: 23.5% chance for 3+ wins (step up in rewards), 5.6% chance for 5+ wins (break-even), .2% chance for 9+ wins (big boy rewards).
40% win rate: 31.7% chance for 3+ wins, 9.6% chance for 5+ wins, .6% chance for 9+ wins.
45% win rate: 40.7% chance for 3+ wins, 15.3% chance for 5+ wins, 1.5% chance for 9+ wins.
50% win rate: 50.0% chance for 3+ wins, 22.7% chance for 5+ wins, 3.3% chance for 9+ wins.
55% win rate: 59.3% chance for 3+ wins, 31.6% chance for 5+ wins, 6.5% chance for 9+ wins.
60% win rate: 68.3% chance for 3+ wins, 42.0% chance for 5+ wins, 11.9% chance for 9+ wins.
*approximate win rate needed for even odds at beating the house: 63.5884%
65% win rate: 76.5% chance for 3+ wins, 53.2% chance for 5+ wins, 20.0% chance for 9+ wins.
70% win rate: 83.7% chance for 3+ wins, 64.7% chance for 5+ wins, 31.3% chance for 9+ wins.

<35% win rate: lol
>70% win rate: stop your fuckin lyin

One 9-win run will pay for roughly 2.4 runs. One 10-win will pay for four. One 11-win run will pay for 5.76 runs. One 12-win run is wurf it if you can do it once out of twelve tries. (Some digging on reddit found me an official comment that says the current limit is five attempts max.)

According to more reddit digging because it's math I don't care about, the average run will net a player ~700 dust (gold), which means an average run roughly breaks even on value if paying the entry fee in $$$real money$$$ but loses ~300g in gold.

Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Last edited:

Matthew

I will play it once. I will not drink and I will play it slow to my highest level. I imagine 4 is my limit but maybe can manage a 5 with some good luck.

That means don't spec me Mr.E.

I'm unsure of lists or tech options I should include. Druid seems like the strongest choice but one slow start against shaman is rip. Shaman is good if I want to rely on 50/50 and maybe include an Eater of Secrets.

Warrior is out of the question as is aggro. Secret Hunter is strong but I think Eater is going to be a big tech card.

Edit: I will also steam it on my shit setup

Last edited:

Matthew

"We generally try to stay positive and provide answers to the current Meta. We’re out of answers when it comes to Mid-Range Shaman. This is a very, very difficult archetype to target. While some individuals may possess the ability to overcome the inherent disadvantage when playing against Shamans, the Meta as a whole appears to be incapable of correcting itself. Our (albeit limited) data suggests that people are playing less Hearthstone or even quitting the game altogether"

It’s been weighing on us as well. Blizzcon can’t come soon enough."

http://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-23/

Last edited:

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Teaser for the next expansion was released today.

Here's a neat little link that allows you to play a Choose Your Own Adventure relating to the expansion.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
I, for one, am looking forward to Aviana into Kun the Forgotten King plays. I'm also curious if the Druid stuff is going to push an aggressive flood/token-style Druid archetype over the edge.

Matthew

Druid is only held back by Shaman at the moment. Being the only class that can ramp it really needs to be handled carefully, it's been a tier 1 and 2 deck in both standard and legacy so it's easy to see how dominant one class with ramp is.

I'm curious about counterfeit coin in rogue. Wild Growth and Innervate are both worth more than one mana, but is a one mana boost worth the card slot? for combo, sure, otherwise I don't know. I'd much rather Pillager is just put into standard

RODAN

Banned deucer.
im all in on the 3 mana Big Wild Growth. i think that card is the sleeper of the ones revealed so far

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The wild growth is really awkward to use because druid rarely has several minions out early and by the time it does the ship has sailed on ramping. In slow matchups where you can afford to spend 3 mana and the ramp is very important you never want to play Living Roots for dudes anyway, at least not in Malygos Druid, and if some fast Egg Druid-like thing can be made a deck like that will run out of cards before it runs out of mana. It's also waaay worse than growth at 10 mana.

I'm most excited for the 1 mana 2/2, there's a legit good control card.

Omega-Xis

Mauville's Own
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I, for one, am looking forward to Aviana into Kun the Forgotten King plays. I'm also curious if the Druid stuff is going to push an aggressive flood/token-style Druid archetype over the edge.
Throw in some Knife Jugglers and Youthful Brews, get that infinite ping going.

:D

laddered with malygos rogue, ysera ramp druid, and freeze mage, which are all decks out of my comfort zone. really glad I was able to hit legend early in the season with these decks and i'm happy to say I think I've improved a lot as a player since the last time I hit legend!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)