Walrus I like media - Won by Blazade

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
People ahead of me in the queue are being dumb so Walrein told me to post mine. If you don't know what walrus is, it's a biased song contest where there are nine catagories which you need to send in songs for and I score each one based on the criteria of my taste.

I want to put a focus onto music used in other forms of media for my walrus, hence why there are lots of movie/TV-oriented categories below. I'm not gonna say anything about my tastes because I wanna hear your tastes: not your attempts to pander to mine.

Categories
Category 1: The Beginning of the End - Submit the main theme or ending theme of a movie, TV series, anime, or video game. State what it is from.
Richard Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra (from 2001 A Space Oddesy)
John Williams - Main Theme (from Star Wars)
Yoko Takahashi - Zankoku no Tenshi no Teeze (from Shin Seiki Evangelion)
Claire - Fly Me to the Moon (from Shin Seiki Evangelion)
Koji Kondo - Theme of Super Mario Galaxy / Theme of Super Mario Galaxy 2
John Williams - Flying Theme (from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial)

============================

Category 2: Latin or Conga - Submit a a piece of music which is written or arranged in either the latin style or the conga style.

Category 3: Cinematic Adoption - Submit a piece of music which was written for a purpose other than use in a movie/tv series/anime which features within one of said media. State what it was used in when submitting.

Category 4: It's what's on the inside that counts - Submit a piece of a movie, TV, or anime OST which isn't used as the opening or ending theme. Alternatively, submit the music which plays in the background of an area, level, or fight of a video game. State what it is from.

Yuki Kajiura - Symposium Magarum (from Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)
Yuki Hayashi - You Say Run (from Boku no Hero Academia)
Koji Kondo - Gusty Garden Galaxy (from Super Mario Galaxy)
Ace+ - Mechanical Rhythm (from Xenoblade Chronicles)
Arianne - Komm, süsser Tod (from Shin Seiki Evangelion)
John Williams - Duel of the Fates (from Star Wars Episode 1)

Category 5: Talent On Stage - Submit a piece of music which is performed by the characters or their voice actors. This can be broadway/musical music, seiyuu songs, music performed by bands in the movie/tv series/anime, or whatever: just so long as it is the characters or their voice actors performing. Once again, state what it is from.

Category 6: Paint Me a Picture - Submit a piece of music which aims to paint a picture in the listener's mind. This can be through the use of word painting, or by trying to recreate the sounds of a place with instruments, or by just creating an atmosphere that transports its listener to the place it is talking about. I'm going to be pretty lenient with regards to how this can be interpreted due to how subjective a statement that is, but if I don't think that you have tried hard enough with you will be recieving a delicious, nutritious category fail.
Jim Parker - Grand Central (from A Londoner in New York)
Modest Mussorgsky - The Old Castle (from Pictures at an Exhibition)
Howard Blake - Walking in the Air (from The Snowman)
The Beatles - Elanor Rigby

=============================

Category 7: A Change of Pace - Submit piece of existing music which has been rearranged, remixed, or covered for the purposes of its use in a movie or TV series. State what it was used in. Alternatively, submit a rearrangement, cover, or remix of a piece of music from a video game or tv/movie soundtrack and state what game the original is from.

Category 8: The Greatest Animation Studios - Submit music from a Ghibli or Disney soundtrack. Pixar OSTs count provided that the movie was made in conjunction with Disney.

Category 9: Character Themes - Submit a piece of music from the OST of a movie, TV show, anime, or video game which is assigned as that character's theme.
Yuki Kaijura - Decretum (Theme of Miki Sayaka) (from Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)
Koji Kondo - Zelda's Lullaby / Ganondorf's Theme / Lon Lon Ranch (Epona's Song) (from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)

Participants (bold=submitted)
shubaka17
Jalmont
Blazade
RODAN
Myzozoa
KnightsofCydonia
Granny Pie
Steven Snype
LightWolf
Da Letter El
Eagle4
TMan87
Sam-testings
shubaka17
Eden's Embrace
Oddish.
vonFiedler

Soul Fly
P2X7

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cat 1 reveal is on Thursday at 10 PM BST so make sure to get your subs in by then if you haven't already.

Live reveals will happen here as per usual.

It would be in both of our best interests for you to accept new submissions; otherwise, the nine (probably bad) songs I'm putting in your inbox will be worthless. :p

Martin

It would be in both of our best interests for you to accept new submissions; otherwise, the nine (probably bad) songs I'm putting in your inbox will be worthless. :p
i mean it never really closed; just so long as it's in before cat 1's reveal tomorrow night idrc when i get them

Martin

16th place - 3.6 (vonFiedler)

I am the Wind

I can’t find the right way to describe the way that I feel about this song other than I don’t really like it much. Maybe I’m being a bit harsh with my rating? IDK, it just doesn’t click with me at all.

Martin

15th place - 3.8 (Steven Snype)

Modern Family OP

I haven’t seen Modern Family or read anything about it, but if I were to take a guess just from this opening theme+name I’d guess that it was some kind of sitcom? Anyway it is pretty standard faire, nothing particularly incredible, doesn’t particularly stand out as an opening.

Martin

14th place - 4.6 (Walrein)

Durarara!! OP

I haven’t seen Durarara!!, but this song isn’t the type of thing that would make me want to watch a show for its OP. Of course there are other reasons to watch a show, but this is just kinda like… it isn’t trying anything, and it doesn’t stand out from the other songs which don’t try to do anything. It’s pretty standard faire all around for this, but there are way more interesting ways of presenting standard faire. I’m just not feeling it for this one.

Martin

13th place - 5.2 (Myzozoa)

Bjork - Play Dead

I like Björk, but I’m not really feeling it for this one unfortunately. It’s a good song, for sure, but it doesn’t stand out to me as the kind of thing I’d want to listen to more and more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)