Ladder Inverse Battle

EV

Banned deucer.
If you've played through XY, you've probably met this weird guy who says he has the power to invert the typechart. You fight him and pwn him and his maison sets. The idea was so quirky (gj Game Freak) we've made it into a permanent ladder:

Inverse Battle

+RULES
  • The effectiveness of each attack is inverted. (Typechart)
    • SE X4 becomes NVE X.25
    • SE X2 becomes NVE X.5
    • Neutral stays the same
    • NVE X.5 becomes SE X2
    • NVE X.25 becomes SE X4
    • Immunity X0 becomes SE X2
  • Ability/item immunities stay the same.
+CLAUSES
  • Standard OU banlist
    • Plus: Kyurem-Black, Snorlax, Diggersby, Serperior
    • Minus: Genesect, Aegislash, Mega Mawile, Mega Lucario, Dialga, Giratina, Greninja, Landorus-I
  • Standard clauses
    • Sleep, OHKO, Species, Evasion, Moody, Swagger, Endless Battle, and Baton Pass
+THREATS

+

Chansey and Avalugg combined make an excellent core (referred to as ChansLugg) since one absorbs high-powered special attacks and the other can stomach just about any physical move. Together they're only weak to Ghost/Ice combos and very few Pokemon can reliably check them by themselves. Chansey provides Wish and cleric support, keeping its partner healthy should something slap it with Toxic, while Avalugg spins hazards with ease thanks to a resistance to Stealth Rock.

Just like its counterpart in standard OU, Greninja in Inverse is extremely versatile and deadly. Protean is a fantastic ability, not only for gaining STAB on any attack, but also for screwing over the opponent who thinks their move will hit super-effectively, only to find out Greninja has changed types and the move only grazes it for minimal damage. With access to lots of coverage, Greninja can reliably break Avalugg (Ice Beam) and slow down Chansey (Taunt, Gunk Shot). Grass Knot is very useful too, since Grass is a solid attacking type in Inverse.

+VIABILITY RANKINGS

Last edited:
RIP Deoxys (finally). Avalugg will be able to do much better without support from Chansey, since it no longer has to worry about Psycho Boosts.

Why is Mawilite banned? Not only Mega Mawile has the worst type in the metagame, but it's also walled to hell and back by Avalugg.

Wait, I thought we already have a thread for this?
Although it's pretty old so a new thread is good.

Avalugg is really good, as its only weakness is Ice, and it can hit switch-ins.
Normal-type Coverage is perfect coverage, all on its own. BellySpeed Linoone may be usable.

Meloetta is one of the best special attackers in the tier

Booster:
Meloetta @ leftovers
Modest
Hyper Voice
Psyshock
Psychic/filler
Calm Mind

Specs
Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Modest
Hyper Voice
Psychic
Psyshock
Thunderbolt/filler

Scarf
Meloetta @ CS
Modest/Timid(in case there's some pokemon you can't outspeed without timid)
Hyper Voice
Psychic
Psyshock
Thunderbolt/filler

Mixed
Meloetta @ LO/Leftovers
Hyper Voice
Relic Song
Return
Psychic/Psyshock/CC

Physical
Meloetta @ LO
Relic Song
Return
CC
K-off/filler

m-muh deoxys

One Offensive and one Defensive threat that benefit from no more SR Weakness

Has anyone tried out Volcarona?
Volcarona Life Orb/Focus Sash
-Bug Buzz
-Fiery Dance/Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Quiver Dance
-Giga Drain
(Zard Y can also be considered)

Articuno-Leftovers
-Roost
-Substitute
-Toxic
-Ice Beam

Adrian Marin
can do decent damage to avalugg, and toxic chansey inb4 someone says heal bell

Last edited:
m-muh deoxys

One Offensive and one Defensive threat that benefit from no more SR Weakness

Has anyone tried out Volcarona?
Volcarona Life Orb/Focus Sash
-Bug Buzz
-Fiery Dance/Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Quiver Dance
-Giga Drain
(Zard Y can also be considered)

Articuno-Leftovers
-Roost
-Substitute
-Toxic
-Freeze-Dry/Ice Beam

Adrian Marin
can do decent damage to avalugg, and toxic chansey inb4 someone says heal bell
>mfw Freeze Dry
Ice is already SE on water.

Stallbreaker Mew is even more useful than in OU, since Psychic is a pretty good typing in the game. It beats Chanslugg pretty easily too.

Grass is a good defensive typing too, so Celebi seems like it would be useful. Though I like Tangrowth as well.

The loss of Deoxys-Speed is going to really hurt hyper-offense. Its ability to guarantee multiple layers of hazards, while preventing the opponent from doing the same and threatening to OHKO any magic bouncers was completely broken but will be missed. With just Stealth Rock up, it becomes a lot harder to apply enough offensive pressure to keep Avalugg from Rapid Spinning.

Here's a cool and underrated set anyway:

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Draco Meteor

This is based on the classic gen 4 "Chain Chomp" set and takes advantage of Garchomp-Mega's 170/120 attacking stats. This set does an excellent job of luring in Avalugg and OHKOing with a Draco Meteor, creating a huge opening for your other physical attackers to sweep (if it doesn't end sweeping on its own). Aqua Tail is there to hit opposing Dragons.

I haven't really played inverse, but I would like to think that Abomasnow Mega is viable here. It shares two of the best types in inverse, and has great offensive stats (and decent bulk). With stuff like that, I can see it being a viable attacker / supporter. Biggest issue is that it provides hail which can limit teambuilding options.

Hail isn't really a limitation for your team since it only lasts 5 turns and Abomasnow has the bulk and type to stay in for a while.
If anything Avalugg benefits from that with Ice Body (Sturdy is largely unecessary in inverse).

Yay! A new thread~ I'm quite new to forums, but I'm a huge Inverse player. Too bad there aren't any ._. Greninja is even better here actually, having a huge movepool, usable attack stat and a high speed means Protean will really screw up your opponent

Epikhairz

Anything goes
ok before i start, i guess i should list some of my credentials, in case some of the things i say get laughed off. i have peaked #4 on PS inverse at around 1430 or so, and am currently sitting at #45 or so at 1396 or so. I have also peaked #1 on PO many many times.

First off lets look at the ban list and see what should get unbanned. Those would be

- Aegislash
- Mawilite
- Deoxys-D
- Deoxys-S
- Lucarionite
- Genesect

Mega Lucario, Aegislash, and Mega Mawile all suffer from seriously shitty typings, the former two being x4 weak to common things like normal. Aegislash especially is awful in Inverse just because of all the weaknesses it suffers. As for the Deoxyses, hazard stacking is not nearly as important as inverse as it is in standard play, and they should be allowed back into inverse. As for Genesect, it too suffers from shitty typing, though it is still a great Pokemon to use in inverse.

As for things that should be banned:

- Kyurem-B
- Snorlax
- Diggersby

Kyu-B is basically unwallable in Inverse, and will rip through teams with ease. It's incredible versatility allows it to take down at least one mon per game, and its only real counter is max def Salamence

And while you may laugh at the notion of banning snorlax, it has no weaknesses, and curselax is incredibly easy to set up and can roll through teams. i have 6-0'd many many teams with curselax and it is definitely broken

Finally Diggersby has crazy good normal coverage + Huge Power, and Band 2HKOs everything short of Avalugg, though Scarf can be used to mitigate poor speed and still hit decently hard, while SashSD set can 2HKO Avalugg at +2 and is incredibly easy to set up on anticipated forced switches, and is further helped by the fact that hazards aren't as omnipresent in inverse

also some points that might be worth discussing is unbanning Dialga (lacking somewhat in speed, and shitty typing) and banning Medichamite (hits balls hard, has strong fake out, good speed and movepool), but im on the fence on both of these myself and the above are much more important to address

thanks for reading :]

ok before i start, i guess i should list some of my credentials, in case some of the things i say get laughed off. i have peaked #4 on PS inverse at around 1430 or so, and am currently sitting at #45 or so at 1396 or so. I have also peaked #1 on PO many many times.

First off lets look at the ban list and see what should get unbanned. Those would be

- Aegislash
- Mawilite
- Deoxys-D
- Deoxys-S
- Lucarionite
- Genesect

Mega Lucario, Aegislash, and Mega Mawile all suffer from seriously shitty typings, the former two being x4 weak to common things like normal. Aegislash especially is awful in Inverse just because of all the weaknesses it suffers. As for the Deoxyses, hazard stacking is not nearly as important as inverse as it is in standard play, and they should be allowed back into inverse. As for Genesect, it too suffers from shitty typing, though it is still a great Pokemon to use in inverse.

As for things that should be banned:

- Kyurem-B
- Snorlax
- Diggersby

Kyu-B is basically unwallable in Inverse, and will rip through teams with ease. It's incredible versatility allows it to take down at least one mon per game, and its only real counter is max def Salamence

And while you may laugh at the notion of banning snorlax, it has no weaknesses, and curselax is incredibly easy to set up and can roll through teams. i have 6-0'd many many teams with curselax and it is definitely broken

Finally Diggersby has crazy good normal coverage + Huge Power, and Band 2HKOs everything short of Avalugg, though Scarf can be used to mitigate poor speed and still hit decently hard, while SashSD set can 2HKO Avalugg at +2 and is incredibly easy to set up on anticipated forced switches, and is further helped by the fact that hazards aren't as omnipresent in inverse

also some points that might be worth discussing is unbanning Dialga (lacking somewhat in speed, and shitty typing) and banning Medichamite (hits balls hard, has strong fake out, good speed and movepool), but im on the fence on both of these myself and the above are much more important to address

thanks for reading :]
You're forgetting that Snorlax is weak to ghost

As for the Deoxyses, hazard stacking is not nearly as important as inverse as it is in standard play, and they should be allowed back into inverse.
I'd like to see your reasoning for this statement.

Also, Deo-s was useful outside of hazard stacking (both in OU and here tho it was much better as a hazard stacker in OU) with having a super-powerful and strong stab in Psycho boost as well as multiple other good moves such as Koff.

Although I agree that hazards are less viable here due to unblockable rapid spin, it's high speed and movepool is what makes it so versatile. Furthermore, it has usable offensive stats, and thus should stay banned

Epikhairz

Anything goes
ok so maybe Deoxys-S might warrant a ban, I may have been too overgeneralizing there, but Deoxys-D certainly deserves a shot back in Inverse

also Snorlax's ghost weakness isnt even worth mentioning, due to ghost being such a shit typing and the fact that lax can just bslam supereffectively on ghosts. there isnt a single good ghost in the tier, and lax's massive SpD allows it to take a shadow ball from any special attacker while its still healthy, and when lax gets those curses up, shadow claw or shadow sneak aint gonna b doing shit

ok so maybe Deoxys-S might warrant a ban, I may have been too overgeneralizing there, but Deoxys-D certainly deserves a shot back in Inverse

also Snorlax's ghost weakness isnt even worth mentioning, due to ghost being such a shit typing and the fact that lax can just bslam supereffectively on ghosts. there isnt a single good ghost in the tier, and lax's massive SpD allows it to take a shadow ball from any special attacker while its still healthy, and when lax gets those curses up, shadow claw or shadow sneak aint gonna b doing shit
It's true that Curselax is a really good set, but with its dismal speed, terrible defence stats and the fact that physical attackers run wild because Return/Frustration is unresisted, I feel that it's not ban- worthy

Epikhairz

Anything goes
350 special defense fully invested and physical defense easily patched up with curse is not terrible. it also has good recovery with resttalk. snorlax can basically set up on any special attacker (as long as its not too powerful) or wall with relative ease and get to +6 quite easily especially once phazers are removed. Curselax also counts as a physical attacker running wild, since its STAB body slam is unresisted

I don't think it's ban-worthy though. Any average inverse player would switch to a physical attacker upon seeing Snorlax. At +1 it can't wall a lot of physical attackers considering its dismal defences. It's good, but not ban-worthy

Mega Banette can be somewhat effective at handling Normal types too. With 165 attack, Shadow Sneak and Prankster D-Bond, it is able to handle most Normal types, unless they run E-Speed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)