Project Iron Chef: Overused | Episode 11 (Coming 2019!)

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader

Approved by Finchinator and the rest of the OU Mod team
HUGE thanks to Euphonos for allowing me to steal most of this incredibly made OP. All credit (including art) goes to his thread in the UU subforum!

PROLOGUE

Long ago, a man's fantasy became a reality in a form never seen before: Kitchen Coliseum, a giant arena where chefs can cook up new original Pokemon teams and see them tested. The motivation for spending his fortune to create Kitchen Coliseum was to encounter new original teams which could be called true artistic creations.

To realize his dream, he secretly started choosing the top chefs of various styles of battling, and he named his men the Iron Chefs. These Iron Chefs possess invincible culinary skills, and they are:

(Retired) Iron Chef Snou
Timezone: GMT +1
Record: 9-4
"Even if I'm in love with Ice-type Pokémon, I'll show your the real meaning of "heat".
Get ready to face Pokémon you probably never faced before!"

Iron Chef azogue
Timezone: GMT -4
Record: 6-5
"Master your fears, lest they master you"

Iron Chef Snowy
Timezone: GMT +10
Record: 3-0
"I believe in rock-hard defense and determination!"

Iron Chef Lopunny Kicks
Timezone: GMT +2
Record: 7-1
"What's wrong isn't me. What's wrong... is this world!"

Iron Chef UltraBallz
Timezone: GMT
Record: 4-2
"To be the best you have to beat the best"

(Retired) Iron Chef Empo
Record: 12-3
"The important thing is not how long you live, it's what you accomplish with your life"

(Retired) Iron Chef HQuaze
Record: 7-2
“The best defense is a good offense”

Kitchen Coliseum is the arena where Iron Chefs await the challenges of master chefs from around the world. Challengers must build around the theme ingredient of the round. Using all their senses, skill and creativity, they are to prepare artistic teams never tasted before.

Every battle, reputations are on the line in Kitchen Coliseum, where master chefs pit their artistic creations against each other. What inspiration does this round's challenger bring? And how will the Iron Chef fight back?

The heat will be on!

. . . . . . .

INTRODUCTION

Hello, everyone! Chairman Indigo Plateau here, and welcome to the first installment of Iron Chef Smogon in the Overused Subforum, its first ever in its Ultra Sun and Moon series! This project allows the contestants to showcase their creative team building skills and to put their masterful creations to the test against some of OU's top battlers and team builders. Each round I will pick a theme to build around, and contestants will do their best to come up with an original, effective team around that theme.

The mechanics of the project will be shown below, so please take time to carefully read everything.

. . . . . . .

MECHANICS

There are four phases every episode: the first phase being Team Building which will last for three days, the second phase being Challenging Iron Chefs which will last for five days; the third phase being Judging and Voting, which will last for three days; the final phase being the Awarding of Winners that will devote a tiny portion of the current round in preparation for the next round. The length of each round is subject to change depending on the circumstances and/or availability of the Iron Chefs and Panel of Judges, not the participants.

PHASE 1: TEAM BUILDING
  • At the beginning of each round, a secret ingredient will be revealed. Contestants have until a certain time (posted in the secret ingredients post) to build around this secret ingredient, which may be a core, a team concept, or a theme. The team must be submitted to the Chairman through the Smogon Forums PM.
    • The Chairman will notify through the reply whether the team has been approved or there are missing elements that need adding.
    • Any article submitted elsewhere other than the Smogon Forums PM will not be accepted.
  • Teams should be submitted in a standardized format. It should include the importable of your team followed by a brief description of how the team works.
  • Within this period, no Iron Chef battle should be taking place.
  • Once the team has been submitted, participants are not allowed to withdraw.

Here is a sample team format that you must submit in order to be eligible for challenging the Iron Chefs:

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Volt Switch

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Toxapex @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Fly

This team features a psychic spam core as suggested by the secret recipe for the week. I wanted to use Mega Gallade, a Pokemon that is not often seen nowadays but still has potential in breaking bulkier teams due to its access to Swords Dance. Tapu Lele is a mandatory partner to round out the psychic spam core. Its Choice Scarf set provides reliable speed control for the team. A solid defensive backbone consisting of Toxapex plus Ferrothorn was then used to alleviate pressure from the two Psychic- types. These two have perfect defensive synergy and can handle a vast amount of metagame threats between themselves. I added Landorus-T to blow past Pokemon that might try to switch into Gallade, such as opposing defensive Landorus-T. AV Magearna is an amazing glue that helps out the team with opposing psychic spam and special attackers in general. It also provide Volt Switch support to bring in Gallade for free. There are some issues with this team, especially the lack of a hazard removers. Of course, it is a "bulky" offense team of sorts, but hazard stacking builds pressure this team immensely. *This team is outdated and solely used as an example*

Note that this is not an RMT article, so don't feel like you need to devote several lines of description for each Pokemon, but it is your responsibility to ensure that judges understand how your team functions. However, the Chairman is strictly enforcing the rule of having a brief description of the team in order to make the judging procedure a lot easier. As such, here are the guide questions for a meaningful description of your team (contestants may not opt to follow them):
  • What comes to your mind when the secret ingredient is revealed?
  • What is your thought process upon building your team?
  • Were there any prevalent issues upon building your team?
The Chairman will notify you whether the submission is eligible for challenging Iron Chefs; if not, you must comply to the changes the Chairman has given - non-compliance within the allotted time will forfeit your entry to the second phase.

IMPORTANT: Slashing items, moves, and other elements is not allowed. Whatever you sent to the Chairman must be the team you will be using in challenging the Iron Chefs.

PHASE 2: CHALLENGING THE IRON CHEFS
  • Only the participants who have their teams approved are eligible to face any of the Iron Chefs available.
    • The Iron Chefs are NOT required to use the theme ingredient. Instead, they will push your team to its breaking point.
    • The Iron Chefs know the secret ingredient as well; better give them the surprise of their lives!
  • Battles must be played using the team that was sent to the Chairman. Any discrepancies between teams may result in disqualification.
  • Contestants may issue a challenge to more than one Iron Chefs, but they may do so only once.
  • Contestants must cater to the Iron Chefs' availability to the fullest extent! They are dedicating time out of their busy schedule to participate, so please be understanding of this rule!

PHASE 3: JUDGING AND VOTING
  • Once all battles are completed, the Chairman will reveal all of the teams, along with their battle replays.
  • Regardless of the outcome of the Iron Chef match(es), all teams sent to the Chairman are subject to evaluations and criticisms from the most esteemed Panel of Judges, and to voting from Iron Chefs, co-participants and third parties.
    • If contestants have sent the dish to the Chairman but didn't manage to issue a challenge on any of the Iron Chefs, their dish will not be presented.
    • Conversely, if contestants completed battles with the Iron Chefs but didn't manage to send the dish (note: with brief descriptions required; guide questions found above) to the Chairman, their dish will not be presented.
CRITERIA FOR SCORING
A contestant's dish will be tabulated according to the following criteria:
  • JUDGE EVALUATIONS (60%) - This is based on the scores given by the panel of judges.
The Panel of Judges will use the system from the previous installments in evaluating contestants' dishes. The system is based on three separate categories in Creativity, Essence/Elevation, and Effectiveness.

CREATIVITY (0-5 POINTS): Is your finished dish a delight never before tasted by our judges, or is it the same standard fare? Your goal is not to merely reheat an existing team, but to break boundaries and challenge standards. A team that was copied from an RMT or tournament with a few minor changes should score poorly here, while a team full of new ideas could bring home as many as five points.

ESSENCE / ELEVATION (0-5 POINTS): How well does your team use this round's theme? Is it merely tacked on to satisfy the tournament's requirements, or is it a fundamental part of how the team works? A team that barely uses the round's theme could end up with nothing here, while a team that not only uses the theme but redefines might win it all.

EFFECTIVENESS (0-10 POINTS): And now we're down to the real meat of the dish. How good is the team? This category is worth twice as much as the other two, because in the end, it doesn't matter how original your dish is - if it doesn't taste good, then people won't eat it. A team that will struggle to succeed in the current metagame, even against mediocre teams, might receive a zero here. On the other hand, show the judges how great your team is, and you could take home a full ten points.

The Panel of Judges will determine the final scores through the conformity method where they either agree or disagree with the initial rates until a certain point is given.

• COMMUNITY VOTING (30%) - The Overused Community, including the Iron Chefs, are asked to pick two of the best teams in terms of the three aforementioned categories.
The top pick for each category will receive 5 points; the second top pick will receive 3 points; the rest of the dishes will receive 1 point each. The final score for the community voting will be tabulated according to the following categories:
  • CREATIVITY - 25%
  • ESSENCE / ELEVATION - 25%
  • EFFECTIVENESS - 50%
The voting template will be given once Phase 2 is over.

• BATTLE RECORDS (10%) - Wins and losses recorded by the contestants during a certain round will be tabulated in this criterion.

PHASE 4: AWARDING OF WINNERS
  • At the end of the round, all winners, along with their dishes, will be entered into our fabled Hall of Fame. These hallowed halls will show the best of the best, and be preserved for future rounds.
    • Aside from awarding the OVERALL WINNER of each round, there will three special awards that will be placed in the Hall of Fame as well. They are as follows:
      • THE MOST ORIGINAL DISH: This award is given to the participant with the most number of votes in the Creativity category. People who have voted for that participant have witnessed how he/she made use of unorthodox selections that made significant work to the team.

• THE MOST ESSENTIAL DISH: This award is given to the participant with the most number of votes in the Essence / Elevation category. People who have voted for that participant have seen how he/she strongly incorporated secret ingredients to the strength of the rest of the team.

• THE BEST-TASTING DISH: This award is given to the participant with the most number of votes in the Effectiveness category. People who have voted for that participant have seen how he/she plays it to his/her strengths, and how he/she overcomes any disadvantages in match-ups.
  • A participant who has garnered the highest average score and who has seen undeniable success after at least three full cycles will be given an offer from the Chairman himself. This offer will depend on the situation of the current Staff (Iron Chef / Panel of Judges).

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
PANEL OF JUDGES

Our first judge is known to be the most active among the three, taking part in tournaments and actively moderating the OverUsed community; please welcome Finchinator!

Judge Finchinator
Hey, I'm Finchinator! I've been playing competitive Pokemon since September 2011 and I've transitioned from angry PO ladder kid to tryhard Smogon tournament player over the years. Currently, I am the OU Forum Leader and a member of the OU Council alongside being an active tournament player. I am looking forward to participating and hope to have an enjoyable time participating in the OU Iron Chef!

. . . . . . .

Our second judge is known to be one of the friendliest contributors people look up to for advice; please welcome Team Pokepals!

Judge Team Pokepals
Hi, I'm Team Pokepals. I joined forums to get feedback on a team and so I started out in the Rate My Team section and eventually obtained the Team Rater Badge after a few months. Then I went over to the OU forum and began contributing there and got two more badges and picked up the Tutor badge on the side as well. Nowadays I'm a lot more inactive and spend more time helping other users with general advice or for RMT, rating quality feedback/advice. I'm planning on retiring soon and for now I want to help as many people as I can to make sure they and the forums I work with are in good shape.

. . . . . . .

And last but not the least, this judge is not as well known as the other two, but he nonetheless possesses the metagame knowledge necessary to round out the Panel of Judges; please welcome Chairman and Judge Indigo Plateau!

Chairman and Judge Indigo Plateau
Hey, I'm Indigo Plateau! I've been playing Pokemon since FireRed / LeafGreen but only recently started playing competitively back in ORAS. I've been pretty successful on the ladder whenever I put in the time and effort. I usually hang around in the OU, UU, and RMT forums whenever I find some free time from the university life. I like to host and partake in tournaments and hope to be more involved with Smogon when my workload dies down. I'm proud to call myself the Chairman of the OU Iron Chef!

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
Hall Of Fame - Overall Winners

Episode 1: Locked and Loaded
Overall Winner: LL
Also won Most Essential & Best Tasting Dish

Requirement: Team must contain at least 3 Pokemon holding a Choice item
This is a really solid team that I wanted to make when I heard about this contest because I think that Choice Specs Ash Gren and CB Zygarde compliment each other perfectly. Zygade can lure in Tapu Bulu with CB Iron Tail and Ash Greninja wears down stuff like Tangrowth with Spikes while threatening out stuff like Landorus-T that annoys Zygade. Going off of these double choice core to start off, I added SD Mega Mawile because it plays off of the central core fantastically, appreciating Zygarde's ability to pressure Landorus-T and switch into Heatran while removing Lando's Leftovers so that it can't passively heal throughout the match and thus supporting Zygarde, not to mention that Spikes support from Ash Gren is huge for wearing stuff into range of +2 Sucker. After that, Jirachi was add to provide obvious Healing Wish support for CB Zyg + Mawile, both of whom love HW support and Tapu Bulu rounds out the necessary defensive backbone for the team. Rounding out the team is Scarf Latios, it provides a secondary water resist besides Tapu Bulu and a revenge killer for key threats like Mega Pinsir that can be problematic for the team as well as some necessary hazard control. Overall this team is really solid aside from a pretty glaring Pinsir weakness (although im running edge bulu to lure it in and kill it in situations where i lose to +2), and I think it's a great example of how multiple choice users can function together effectively.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Iron Tail

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 108 SpD / 152 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 56 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Thunder Wave

Creativity 2/5, Elevation 4/5, Effectiveness 5/5. This is a good overall team that doesn't have the triple choice forced at all as it's a natural structure, but it's pretty standard so creativity is low. Probably my favorite or second favorite yet.

Creativity (1) - Standard team that probably put a CB on Zygarde over the Z move or another mon that previously had a Z move.
Elevation (5) - Actually makes good use of 3 choice locked mons, with Greninja and Zygarde being able to work together offensively and Latios fits in nicely as well as the Scarf mon
Effectiveness (5) - It's standard and it looks solid offensively, defensively and aesthetically as well.

Creativity: 2/5
Essence: 4/5
Effectiveness: 5/5
The creativity is decent with Jirachi being picked again, but there was nothing out of the ordinary after that, so the score reflects that. The essence is the highest yet because the composition of the team is very solid, and the choiced Pokemon greatly appreciate the likes of Mawile / Gren / Bulu forcing a lot of switches in the metagame. I feel like overall this was the most effective team with it covering a lot of its weaknesses nicely (dual steels + fairy and grassy terrain is beneficial to everything bar Lati).

Most Original Dish:
by Prisoner952

---------------------------------------------------

Episode 2: Antibody
Overall Winner: azogue
Also won Best Tasting Dish

Requirement: Team must possess at least 6 immunities by virtue of typing and/or abilities
Description and Rates

Creativity 3/5, Elevation 4/5, Effectiveness 4/5.

Creativity (4) - Haven't seen Gengar in ages and the Torn-T and Heatran sets look fun for this team.
Elevation (5) - Again, Heatran is really good for this round and Gengar also benefits from Lando and Torn-T having a ground immunity. Tangrowth appreciates the fire immunity and the poison immunity as well. Finally, Torn-T hates Koko and Zapdos and Lando having an electric immunity really helps out as both could come in frequently.
Effectiveness (4) - Solid offensively and defensively and I like how Yache Lando is here as Koko annoys Torn-T and luring it out helps the team a lot. Same goes for Scarf Heatran being able to catch threats for Gengar and Torn-T.

Creativity: 2/5
Essence: 4/5
Effectiveness: 5/5
Creativity (4/5)
Essence (4/5)
Effectiveness (4/5)

Most Original Dish:
by 1 True Lycan
Most Essential Dish:
by paoisd

Episode 3: Can You Feel the Love Tonight?
Overall Winner: 1 True Lycan
Also won Best Tasting Dish

Requirement: Team must contain a combination of at least 3 Fire- types and/or Fire coverage
Description and Rates

Most Original Dish:
by matthewc20090
Most Essential Dish:
by MFJr King[/hide]​

---------------------------------------------------​

Episode 4: Salmagundi
Overall Winner: 1 True Lycan
Also won Most Essential Dish

Description and Rates

Most Original Dish:
by Altervisi
Best Tasting Dish:
by 1_TrickPhony

Episode 5: Dark Horse
Overall Winner: mudd_skip
Also won Most Essential Dish and Best Tasting Dish

Description and Rates

Most Original Dish:
by hmsa2012

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE CHAIRMAN!
Welcome to the first edition of Iron Chef in the OverUsed forums! For starters, please make sure you read the rules above in their entirety. Failure to comply with and/or follow the rules can disqualify you from participating for that episode. I will enforce this very strictly!

You do not have to post "in" to participate!

And now, for the first Secret Ingredient of the show...

. . . . . . .

Locked and Loaded

In the heat of matches, even a small fraction of additional power or speed can be crucial. Choice items provide an energetic boost to your Pokemon's moves at the cost of being locked into a single move. Battlers know this risk but are still drawn to Choice items time after time, and they have completely changed the way some Pokemon are used.

For this Episode, participants are required to build a team that features at least 3 Choice items in total. There is no requirement on whether the items have to be different or not; that is to say, having a Choice Band, Choice Scarf, and Choice Specs is the same as three Choice Bands.

The teambuilding part of this Episode will go on until Wednesday, January 17 @ 12 AM EST GMT -5. Participants must PM the team to me, the Chairman, otherwise they will not be accepted. Do not post your team in the thread!

After the teambuilding phase, participants with approved teams will be mentioned in the thread and will be able to challenge the Iron Chefs.

Allez, cuisine!

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
...Time's up!

That wraps up the team building phase of this round. The contestants with their teams approved are shown below:

paoisd
1 True Lycan
Lord Ninjax
LL
Volcanoheadproduction(yt)
MultiAmmiratore
Prisoner952
1_TrickPhony

On Limited Iron Chef Availability
  • Iron Chef Snou is only available to play today (Wednesday) between 9 PM - midnight, GMT +1 due to other commitments. If you want to challenge him for this episode, it has to be during this time frame!
  • Iron Chef HQuaze cannot play on Friday or Sunday; take advantage of the other days!
  • Iron Chef Empo has poor availability on Saturday and Sunday; try to challenge him before then!
  • Iron Chef Analytic is only available during the weekend; challenge him then!
Please keep in mind that most Iron Chefs have busy schedules (SPL, etc) and have willingly volunteered to help out by participating, so try your hardest to schedule around their availability. For reference, I have listed each of their time zones in the OP. You can only challenge each Iron Chef once per episode, and you don't have to challenge all of them if you don't feel the need to.

The deadline for the challenging phase will be approximately Sunday, January 21 @ 12 AM EST GMT -5. Replays are highly recommended for fun and ease of judging. Good luck to all!

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
I'm curious to see what level of craziness can reach the secret ingredients. Is it possible to keep the teams built+theme and the replays together please? I would like to see what new ideas are brought here from time to time Indigo Plateau , this topic looks like a really cool idea n_n

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
I'm curious to see what level of craziness can reach the secret ingredients. Is it possible to keep the teams built+theme and the replays together please? I would like to see what new ideas are brought here from time to time Indigo Plateau , this topic looks like a really cool idea n_n
For each episode, the HoF will include the theme, team of the overall winner, and the three teams that won the individual awards (phase 4 in the OP). Once the voting phase begins, I’ll also include every contestant’s team + importable for that round so the community can vote on these.

Basically, it should all be organized enough one way or another for you to be able to go back & reference each episode’s themes & teams :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)