Online Competition Johto X Alola [playable on PS!]

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

It's that time again folks! We got a our first Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon competition!
https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/cb263209-c5fb-4e56-94c7-845902f6e233

This time, it's doubles with a twist: Everything in the Alola dex is allowed, but you're also allowed to use any Pokemon on the Kanto and Johto Dexes. Here are the major rules!

•This is 4v4 doubles
• The kanto + johto + alola dexes are allowed
• item clause is in effect
• Mega Pokemon are allowed
• Z-moves are allowed
• Pokemon from the Poketransporter are allowed. This includes Pokemon from gen 1 and 2!

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/f3982e5b-1a59-432f-8d64-e54650916f41

This post will get updated with more content later, stay tuned!

Last edited:
Cool! I needed something to stimulate me for USM Battlespot. I'll be trying to build a team featuring Mega Ampharos. If I can't build it in time, I'll probably just use a Kommo-o team for VGC 18, with a replacement for Ferrothorn. Any noteworthy stuff avalible via Gen 1 and 2 transfers?

Last edited:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
iCool! I needed something to stimulate me for USM Battlespot. I'll be trying to build a team featuring Mega Ampharos. If I can't build it in time. , I'll probably just use a Kommo-o team for VGC 18, with a replacement for Ferrothorn. Any noteworthy stuff avalible via Gen 1 and 2 transfers?
One thing I realized is that the HAs for the Johto beasts finally make sense here: Inner Focus! That'll come in handy against the stampede of Mega Kangaskhan!

I'm not sure if that'll justify Raikou over Tapu Koko all that much, but I think it'll be damn good on Entei and Suicune. ESPECIALLY Suicune, since being immune to flinches makes it a lot easier to set up Tailwind early! I guess Entei and Raikou could use Pressure to scout for scarfs (Scarf Tyranitar in particular), but Inner Focus sounds really hard to pass up!

New moves wise... a TON of random stuff gets Reflect from RBY, that could come in handy. GS is mostly just random Curse stuff, not sure if any of the new Curse stuff will be great in doubles or not. Maybe a Curse Porygon2 because that'd be stupidly hard to take down? Speaking of Porygon2, I fully expect that to be the main Trick Roomer of choice here now that Cresselia is gone!

Only other obscure moves that come to mind is that if you look at Pokemon XD... Magmar and Electabuzz get Follow Me, which could be neat, since those have popped up in these kinds of competitions in the past. Was even thinking about Helping Hand + Follow Me Togetic (sadly, Togekiss is not legal). One last XD thing that probably aint too big: Zapdos gets Metal Sound from Pokemon XD, so it can use it like a worse Fake Tears I guess?

I haven’t really looked into it, but I will need to look up what is new for Trick Room setting.

I had fun using Bruxish as my setter during the SM PGL events.

I know this is not purely Johto X Alola related, but is their any guides for early USUM team building? Either for VGC or Johto X Alola?

I am wanting to get more into battling. I’m just drawing a blank so far.

This past SM season my highest rating was 1600’s.

One thing I realized is that the HAs for the Johto beasts finally make sense here: Inner Focus! That'll come in handy against the stampede of Mega Kangaskhan!
Did I miss something? Are the legendary beasts with HA now obtainable? Is it the Gold and Silver VCs that were released a few months ago?

I don't know if Kangaskhan is really that threatening with Tapu Lele in the roster. And I honestly think that it's not really good against anything other than Sash Pokemon.

Did I miss something? Are the legendary beasts with HA now obtainable? Is it the Gold and Silver VCs that were released a few months ago?

I don't know if Kangaskhan is really that threatening with Tapu Lele in the roster. And I honestly think that it's not really good against anything other than Sash Pokemon.
Yes. Through Virtual console. Mega Kang is still good, just not anywhere as last gen due to parental bond nerf.

Been working on a team for this in game this last day, planning on not using a Mega Evolution as a bit of a fun challenge. Just wish the reward for participation was a bit better. 50 BP is nice and all, but BP is already easy enough to get.

Yes. Through Virtual console. Mega Kang is still good, just not anywhere as last gen due to parental bond nerf.
Presumably Seismic Toss Kangaskhan will be allowed in this which makes it arguably just as good as last gen. Looking at the list of Mega Evolutions allowed, only Venusaur, Gengar and the Charizards have been particularly popular in similar doubles formats. My bet is that Kangaskhan is extremely popular amongst the top players this time around.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Mega Kang has been top 5 in battle spot doubles usage this whole gen, and is currently 4th in usage on the VGC ladder. In a doubles format with less things annoying it, it will be even better. Especially in this particular competition since Kang knowing Seismic Toss from the virtual console games can be used.

How is this team? I'm having a lot of trouble with Cresselia and Lando-T in practice, and it's fustrating because I can't practice this without them (particularly Lando)

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Bone

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Heat Wave

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wide Guard
- Leech Seed
- Heavy Slam
- Protect

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sky Drop
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard

I wanna try Mega Lopunny once again since she's done pretty well for me before, but I'm afraid there's too much to deal with in this meta to use her.

I've been using Nagandale (Gribble), and whenever I can set up I can sweep, even though it's pretty damn frail. Thought I could use Hitmontop, but not with the fairies around.

It says Transporter mons are eligible. Does that exclude Poke Bank Pokémon? I would like to know before I go back to ORAS to scoop up some leftover legends.

Theorymon

Bit out of the loop because finals are coming next week, but what builds are people running on Seismic Toss Mega Kangaskhan? I'm tempted to actually use Inner Focus and forgo Speed investment for a ton of bulk (this way I can always get a Fake Out turn one by not Mega evolving, provided Psychic Terrain is nuked). I'm a bit divided on if I'm gonna focus on special bulk to handle Charizard better or physical bulk for Mega Salamence and Stakataka atm, or a more specialized spread.

I'm still unsure on which kind of team to use for this tourney.

My current idea so far is some sort of PsySpam with a Tapu Lele/Mega Metagross core, with Zapdos for speed control and Volcarona to take down steels, but I have no idea about the other two slots...

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fire

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Zapdos @ Psychic Seed
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Ice

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 84 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Any ideas? I've been considering things like AV Kartana or Tyranitar but I'm not convinced so far...

I'm still unsure on which kind of team to use for this tourney.

My current idea so far is some sort of PsySpam with a Tapu Lele/Mega Metagross core, with Zapdos for speed control and Volcarona to take down steels, but I have no idea about the other two slots...

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fire

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Zapdos @ Psychic Seed
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Ice

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 84 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Any ideas? I've been considering things like AV Kartana or Tyranitar but I'm not convinced so far...
Bit out of the loop because finals are coming next week, but what builds are people running on Seismic Toss Mega Kangaskhan? I'm tempted to actually use Inner Focus and forgo Speed investment for a ton of bulk (this way I can always get a Fake Out turn one by not Mega evolving, provided Psychic Terrain is nuked). I'm a bit divided on if I'm gonna focus on special bulk to handle Charizard better or physical bulk for Mega Salamence and Stakataka atm, or a more specialized spread.
I would suggest a response to TR. Perhaps replace the scarf set with taunt? If that’s not allowed, try a fighting type to reliably eliminate Porygon2. I don’ think your ev spreads are ideal for Zapdos. Try investing more bulk and a modest nature.

As for Kangaskhan, I don’t think I’ve seen it too much, and the ones I did’nt carry Seismic toss. The most popular mega evolutions appear to be Metagross, Salamence, and Charizard. I’d probably go physical, because I’ve seen more Stakataka and Salamence then Charizard. I’ve seen a lot of Tyranitar as well, both mega and non-mega. I surprisingly haven’t seen too much Mawile. Maybe it’s because it’s the Sucker Punch nerf and dominance of Psychic Terrain. As for me, I’m using Mega Ampharos, and its been very anti-meta, handling threats to TR like Zard-Y and Salamence with ease.

As for other mons, I’ve been using Z-Focus Blast Pheromosa which has really good. For example it guarantees a ohko on 4 Hp Metagross and 252 HP Mawile. Another cool thing I’ve been trying is Ally Switch. It’s such a cool move, and has saved me a few battles. The scary thing is that a lot of Pokémon can learn it, so It’s requires a lot of skill to use. Foul Play on Porygon2 is so nice, which is a huge tool against DrumLax and Metagross. TR is a lot easier to utilize than VGC thanks to the lack of Amoonguss and Aegislash. The only thing I have to do is Speed run my Silver for HA Entei.

I would suggest a response to TR. Perhaps replace the scarf set with taunt? If that’s not allowed, try a fighting type to reliably eliminate Porygon2. I don’ think your ev spreads are ideal for Zapdos. Try investing more bulk and a modest nature.
Thank goodness I can catch Zapdos in the Virtual Console games (and I still haven't spent BP on the tutor moves), so I'll take both suggestions. I'm worried about getting the wrong Hidden Power, though, but I can Ditto Glitch for a lot of Zapdos until I get one right. It will take a lot of Missingno.ing for Rare Candies, though, as I'd have to take them to Level 98. That, or ACEing batches of Zapdos (though I'd need a glitch item for the level).

I'm now thinking on Gastrodon for one of the slots I have left, to check rain and Electric-types.

Last edited:
How is this team? I'm having a lot of trouble with Cresselia and Lando-T in practice, and it's fustrating because I can't practice this without them (particularly Lando)

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Bone

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Heat Wave

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wide Guard
- Leech Seed
- Heavy Slam
- Protect

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sky Drop
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard
This is Johto X Alola. This competition only allows usage o Pokémon in the Johto and Alola Pokedexes. If you need help on that, go visit the VGC section.

I’ve also noticed a sharp increase in Kommo-o usage. I see 2 sets, mixed and pure special sets and it’s managed to screwed my team several times. All 3 abilities are solid, though Overcoat is hard to justify in a meta game without Amoonguss. It’s in top 30 usage for Championship battles.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
This is Johto X Alola. This competition only allows usage o Pokémon in the Johto and Alola Pokedexes. If you need help on that, go visit the VGC section.

I’ve also noticed a sharp increase in Kommo-o usage. I see 2 sets, mixed and pure special sets and it’s managed to screwed my team several times. All 3 abilities are solid, though Overcoat is hard to justify in a meta game without Amoonguss. It’s in top 30 usage for Championship battles.
that post was before the ladder was up, no need to be so rude

in other news, is anyone else doing trick room? my staka is still taka, but a lack of camerupt hurts me :( im stuck with gastrodon as a special attacker

that post was before the ladder was up, no need to be so rude

in other news, is anyone else doing trick room? my staka is still taka, but a lack of camerupt hurts me :( im stuck with gastrodon as a special attacker
I wasn’t being rude, I was just informing of a mistake. I myself am using TR. You could try Torkoal combined with Oranguru for heavy spread damage.

What are the best options for a player that just starts the game and doesn't have access to Mega Stones and Z cristals bar Normalium Z and Waterium Z but still can transfer things from XY/ORAS/SM ?
Protip : I'm this player

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)