Other Metagames [Johto X Alola] Zappy Koko squad with some hefty backup

After many years devoted to shiny hunting and collecting I'm making an entrance back into the world of competitive battling with a dull thud. I've been lured by a tournament that drops out some of the metagame's most threatening hitters and tanks for hopefully a more gentle introduction. However, as someone who was a die hard smogonite back in 2007-2010 I'm finding it pretty tricky.

The sheer variety of what you face, regardless of the constrictions of Johto X Alola is really pretty intimidating. Any number of pokemon could do any number of things and my prediction game, whilst still pretty solid as I've never stopped playing the main series games (getting all the medals in battle subway, maison, battle tree and the like), isn't quite what it used to be.

I'm finding it hard to navigate the worlds of terrain, fake outs, pranksters, trick roomers, tailwind, weather... Sometimes all of that in the same squad!

I was trying a Trick Room squad out that had really decent success on Showdown, but failed when I put it onto the anything goes battles on the 3DS. Stakataka / Feraligatr / M Scizor / Alolawak / Zapdos / Tapu Fini. Stakataka was a taunt magnet, or a fake out magnet, or any other kind of magnet and even with my various ideas (focus sash to get the room up, white herb) I couldn't reliably set up trick room. Kind of screws the squad when everyone has a 0 speed IV. I had a nice core going that I enjoyed using but in the end it just can't cut it. Tailwind prankster Whimsicott shut down my leads in an instant by charging whatever was next to it, or just taunting.

So I went back to the drawing board! No more trick room, let's get some utility support, and let's make a type core that works. So I present to you a solid, complementary team that doesn't rely on a 'gimmick' or focus around pulling it off, but threatens the opponent using a mix of utility and raw power.

I would love analysis and criticism. I'm winning about 70% of battles on Showdown and writing this after around 40 encounters, but I can't help but feel that when deployed to the Tournament or indeed random battles (where the theory of the squad should still hold up even if I'm fighting non Johto X Alola mons) I may well be torn apart :)

Here's the export from showdown, with logic:

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Protect

Lead number one. Sets up electric terrain to boost that wicked thunderbolt and halts any spore Parasect that fancy a crack. Wakes up Komala, but hey, I'll deal. Something that really places me at an advantage and boasts an immediate threat on whatever is in front of it is what I wanted and my mind came here. Thunderbolt doesn’t need any explanation (hi mega zard. Bye mega zard). The Dazzling gleam is pretty weak as we well know, but it gives it a spread move option and serves a much more important purpose – the (largely) unexpected nuke of Farium-Z. I haven’t met someone that saw it coming. Nukes a Mega Salamence that evolves before my very eyes, knocks ol’ chompy down, and covers a last ditch ‘I’m at 2hp’ attack. I’ve had Scrafty eviscerate and those goddamn Fake Out / Feint Hitmontop go byebye too. Taunt is for that extra utility – I need to be able to shut down trick roomers reliably, and try keep the tailwind advantage in my court, whilst stopping enemy Zapdos from having a roost, or someone trying to stall with Protect. Have shut down Scizor, Toxapex, Porygon2, Stakataka, Mega Slowbro and the like with that really effectively. Gun for Whimsicott with taunt too that cotton bastard. Protect wasn’t here initially, volt switch was. I learned pretty quickly that this guy really, really wants protect. Play some mind games, predict fake out, and very importantly block earthquakes from both myself and the enemy. Makes him play a bit more nicely with the rest of the team. I’ve found that this set has a really surprising amount of staying power. People seem to focus on what’s next to it. Often lets me pivot around a bit and set up terrain later in the game to. EV’s don’t need a scientist to crack the logic.

Weak to Ground. Switch to Salamence if protect isn’t an option, or he could threaten back with intimidate support to boot. Scared of ice here.

Weak to Poison. Switch to Metagross for the immunity and to threaten back. Looking at you Nihilego.

Zapdos @ Electric Seed
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave - Roost / HP Ice - Tailwind

Topu-Kekek’s partner in crime. Buzzy berry to make the most of the turn 1 advantage philosophy and boost his already considerable defence. I initially high fived myself about the electric terrain boosting his thunderbolt but a friend of mine swiftly brought me back down to earth by pointing out ‘he ain’t grounded bro’. Still I didn’t want to sub in the X-Mas-Tree in his place due to the double earthquake weakness, and the basic necessity to tie it to a choice scarf (not to mention I then lose tailwind support). Didn’t want to sub in Alola-Rairai because he’s not the one either. Zapdos and Koko complement each other very nicely in terms of coverage and utility. Steel types that would threaten Koko should really back up or risk Koko protecting and Zapdos heat-waving. Thunderbolt is for power really, chose it over discharge because I don’t like hurting my own mons without the immunity to do so. Don’t like the spread damage drop either, I’d rather snipe it out. Heat Wave is to help cover Koko and give us some options against Grass/Bug/Steel types. Parasect really doesn’t like it, rage powder or no. The next slot… Really tricky. It’s usually HP Ice. This is for Dragons if Koko’s not around, enemy Zapdos, ground types I’m feeling brave around, predicting switches, sniping grass types if I don’t want to flashfire. I’m very, very happy with HP Ice up until the point I’ve got another Zapdos in front of me and it roosts. Then it wins. Roost just gives Zappy that staying power it otherwise doesn’t have, and I’m starting to see the utility option there as being more attractive than HP Ice, but I can’t decide. I’d really like some thoughts here, given the composure of the rest of the team. HP Ice or Roost? If someone can help me answer that maybe I can stop staring at my bedroom ceiling at 2am. Tailwind is great, and everyone knows why it’s there. If I get it up and they don’t because Koko was taunty then the ball’s in my court from turn 1. Supports the rest of the squad or a few turns too. Metagross likes a good tailwind behind him, even if the mental image makes no sense.

Open to suggestions on Nature and EVs before I catch it in Red. I’ve gone Careful and HP for staying power and some extra Sdef in the face of enemy Zapdos and ice beams. My logic here seems conflicted though – if I run HP ice over roost, surely I should just commit to Timid(or modest?) 252Spa/252Spe. If I run Roost, perhaps that’s where Careful 252hp/252spa is more appropriate. Would like some thoughts here!

Weak to rock. In comes Metagross. Porygon2 doesn’t mind this too much at all. Usually annoys back too with boltbeam and toxic.

Weak to ice. In comes Metagross, or Tapu Fini depending on squad composure. Porygon2 is usually pretty chill with this too.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt - Hammer Arm
- Earthquake

What helps out Koko and Z-Dos with 3 / 4 weaknesses? Metagross! An old Gen3 favourite of mine that I do enjoy using. Along with what seems to be 80% of the Showdown playerbase. I firstly thought that an air balloon here would be genius to cover literally all of the lead’s weaknesses, but I figured that was a bit silly and denies him something that could be truly useful. EVs are for Attack and Speed, nature here is for Speed too. With the tailwind boost he’s surprisingly nimble! Gotta outspeed those Lele and get the Zen Headbutt out ASAP, even if the Psychic terrain blocks his bullet punch. Buuut the Jolly Nature and Speed EVs make him less physically powerful and defensively bulky than I’d like. The Assault Vest is to help with this, but uh, Mega ‘Zard Y doesn’t really care that much about the vest. To ‘Zard that vest might as well be paper. What are people’s thoughts here? Adamant 252atk/252hp gonna be alright with the Tailwind boost? Choice Scarf could be a goer here, but I’d feel being locked might cause me matches.. Unless it gets trick? Anyway, would it survive without that tailwind boost? I’m leaning towards the physical bulk but would really like input. The moveset is purposefully eclectic. Bullet Punch is for their Koko, their Faries, their rocks, and their frail stuff. I need a priority move available to me and I like this one a lot. Zen is my answer to Tapu Lele. Hammer Arm is my fighting type nuke and I did consider Fightium-Z here, but felt it best left on the cocoa. Hammer Arm is for Mega Kang if I have the tailwind, Shaqattack doesn’t like it either and I know I’ll outspeed unless TR is up. Earthquake is for earthquake, plus if he’s come on Koko and Zapdos is flying he can do it with impunity, which is great. Clear Body shuts down intimidate cycling that can otherwise be really irritating, so there’s an element of utility here too. Sadly, Mega Charizard doesn’t really care about my Metagross’ moveset and I feel perhaps I should have thunderpunch in there. What would it realistically replace? EQ?

The main question here is do I mega him? Does Mega Metagross offer more to my Squad than the Mega Salamence sat in the next slot down? I’m not sure it does…

Weak to Ground. Zapdos or Salamence. Weak to Dark. Tapu Fini based on squad composure. Weak to Ghost. Porygon2 based on composure. Weak to Fire. Tapu Fini. Problem is that if Mega Zard is there, which he always is, Solarbeam drops Fini and leaves me in a squeeze unless I can take care of it with Koko/Zdos which hopefully I can.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Return
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Tasty dragon, and the huge physical threat that I crave in my games. Something to inspire fear when tailwind’s there, and I’ve focused on attack and speed to make sure he can do so even when it’s not. I deeply resent re-speccing the EVs on M-Mence and having stuff survive with a sliver of red remaining, so I’ve taken liberties to apply the moron’s EV spread. Takes the ground immunity slot for Koko and terrifies in reply. Rock Slide might look odd, but those Mega ‘Zard Ys made me put it there. Return needs no introduction and I chose it over Double Edge because recoil upsets me and I need the move slots. No roost here, but protect helps me send him out and cause fear, make them target him, and give the other ‘mon a free shot. That happens a lot. Then I get scared because I can’t protect. Earthquake is his last move for coverage and just in case I’m the last ‘mon standing. Aqua tail or Crunch are options here, tasty options. Leaning away from Aqua tail because of the prevalence of sunshine, but the Crunch might be handier than the EQ in the long run. Thoughts?

Weak to Ice – Metagross or Tapu Fini. Porygon2’s probably up for it. Weak to Dragon – Tapu Fini or Metagross. Again Pory2 don’t mind. Weak to Rock – Metagross, Pory2

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Protect

I feel this is the member I’m least happy with. It lacks the punch that I chose it for and I think that’s because I’m trying to use it offensively with a defensive spread. The Calm Mind I haven’t found very helpful. Much less helpful than an Ice Beam would be. The extra bulk isn’t really helping me tank solar beams… I think that it might be best to commit to courage and throw out a Timid, or Modest Fini with Hydro Pump to cause much more chaos. She’s still bulky enough to take a bit of a beating then threaten back, which is why she’s here. I kind of miss Vaporeon y’know? Good old Wishporeon is now sadly outclassed. I’m thinking that Life Orb is a step too far and compromises the bulk (and without trick I don’t like choice items) but she could take Metagross’ assault vest? Come out 252spe, 252spa with tailwind guns-a-blazing? Thoughts? Is there someone better for this slot? The typing works so well with the others.

Weak to Steel. Zapdos, Metagross, ol’ Cyberduk2.0 Weak to electric. This is the only part of my squad without a proper resist. I’m not really looking to Koko for electric resist… Weak to grass. Take your pick! Salamence and Zapdos like the idea. Metagross too but can’t hit back SE. Weak to poison. Metagross is relied upon once again!

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Recover

This is a weeeee bit shameful, but it’s too hilarious to not use when my squad is lacking a bit of utility bulk. So, so helpful and surprisingly MVP with toxic and recover. Can take an All Out Pummelling from Hitmontop and shrug it off with a recover, I learned the other day. Can tank out Raikou and Entei together using toxic and recover, I learned. Can do hilarious things and encourage very personal insults about members of my family that I feel are…. Both warranted and unwarranted. Kind of an answer to their Porygon2 if I have tailwind! Boltbeam’s been chosen for coverage, but I’m open to suggestions. Item and EVs to maximise bulk. Like Koko that EV spread doesn't require a degree in CompSci to crack. Plays nicely with the team as a catch all, but a wee bit taunt bait-y. Their taunters tend to be taunted or down by the time that ducky2 comes out so it’s not too much of a concern. Trace is there to play around and use their intimidate against them. Considering Download and tweaking for a Spa boost but… I like the utility of trace. Can do some good stuff.

Weak to Fighting. May death find it swiftly. Or Tapu-Fini. Or Zapdos. Or Salamence.

That’s the squad. That’s the logic. I hope someone out there reads this rant. Please analyse away. Destroy it, tell me where I’m scrubbing. Suggest changes to the line-up, new moves, new spreads. I’d love to hear some stuff from the community in time for Johto X Alola next week. I uh, should probably finish the game and get Mega Evolve and Farium Z…

Things I don’t have:

Fake-Out Sun, Rain, Sand, Hail Stealth Rock Trick Room

But I can’t see a way to fit them in without serious changes. I’m enjoying using this squad a lot and I feel quite confident using it. But it doesn’t always win... Any changes to consistency are going to be welcomed with upvotes and open arms.

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)