KISS-- An OU Warstory

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No bells and whistles here. A straight up Standard battle between to players on the leaderboard (edit: ok, so my play account ibo isn't there anymore, I fluttered off lol). I replaced all the "ibo" with choutoshio to make it easier to read. Enzo3245 gave me a memorable battle here. Enjoy.

CHOUTOSHIO’s Team:

-Leftovers and Sand will be removed after they appear
-Log will be Bold
-No funky colors or excess sprites.

Keeping It Simple Stupid.

Enzo3254 sent out Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ?).
choutoshio sent out Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Gyarados's intimidate cut Swampert's attack!

Typical Gyara v. Swampert start, and while it’s really predictable, I’m going to go with the standard Taunt set up. Even if he switches in a Gyara counter, it’s early enough in the game that I don’t mind dealing with it—a celebi or rotom that’s been taunted is not all that scary after all.

Gyarados used Taunt.
Swampert fell for the taunt!
Swampert used Stealth Rock.
Swampert can't use Stealth Rock after the taunt!

Alright, he’s been taunted. To be honest though, this is Jolly CB Gyara, so I’m locked into Taunt. Yeah, that might seem stupid but Jolly is needed to outrun some important enemy leads, and Taunt is just too valuable on a lead Gyara. Besides, he doesn’t know I’m locked into it, and is likely to switch out (especially with the fear of a potential dragon dance sweep).

I am going to switch to Celebi, for a few reasons. First, because of the obvious advantage it has over Swampert, and 2 because this celebi is packing both hp fire and baton pass, so I’m not particularly worried about scizor or tyranitar, and it’ll give me a chance for some B-Pass scouting. The chances of the enemy bringing in something that can T-Wave is high, and Celebi loves B-Passing out of T-Waves (getting statused slow and then passing to a team mate).

Enzo3254 switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias ?).
choutoshio switched in Celebi (lvl 100 Celebi).

Or, not. How would latias have dealt with me if I was LO Adamant Gyara with a DD under my belt? >_> Whatever, it could be that his team simply doesn not have a better means of dealing with Gyara in this situation. It's a good switch by Enzo as I’m essentially going to have to give latias a turn to set up (I have no T-Wave, and it could have refresh regardless). I’ll just B-Pass out to scout.

Latias used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!

Shit . . .

Celebi used Baton Pass.
choutoshio switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).

Don’t really have much to do but bring in scizor and hit it as hard as possible . . . going to use CB U-Turn as I got to get some damage on it (and the chance of it switching out is relatively slim).

Latias used Calm Mind.
Latias's special attack was raised.
Latias's special defence was raised.
Scizor used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Latias lost 51% of its health.

You may be wondering about CB U-Turn’s low damage output. Well, this is Careful Scizor with near full investment in HP and Sp.DEF. It’s a very useful tool against most Latias, Starmie and Celebi sets. It’s not perfect of course, but when facing tricky enemies like those you can’t expect to beat them all the time. Reflect obviously makes a big impact here, and pretty much forces me to reveal one of my secret weapons earlier than expected.

choutoshio switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Gyarados's intimidate cut Latias's attack!
Latias's leftovers restored its health a little!
Latias restored 6% of its health.

[Latias’ Leftovers will be removed from here out]

Lol, Gyara.

Latias used Recover.
Latias restored 44% of its health.
Gyarados used Outrage.
Gyarados went on a rampage!
It's super effective!
Latias lost 70% of its health.

Nice—CB Outrage hits like a bitch even through reflect. I’ve also gotten to see leftovers so I know reflect is all but gone. However, he’s probably going to bring in some sort of steel type now. Cross your fingers that Outrage runs out.

Enzo3254 switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Gyarados used Outrage.
It's not very effective...
Metagross lost 12% of its health.
Gyarados's rampage ended.
Gyarados became confused!

Nice. Outrage is done. Since no one expects Outrage from Gyara, Steel types setting up on me is a fairly minimal problem overall (though, not going to lie it can be potentially bad). Metagross is of course the one who has the best chance (since Scizor rarely carries LO/Lefties these days and doesn’t like taking even resisted hits from Gyara anyways).

In this case though, I can be almost certain this is agiligross. I’ll bet it’s not got Grass Knot, and play from there.

choutoshio switched in Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ?).
Metagross used Agility.
Metagross's speed was sharply raised.
Metagross's reflect wore off!

Agility is is, but my offensive Swampert is in, and reflect is gone. He could always blow up and kill me, but I’d be willing to pay the price. I’m just going to go ahead and attack. Waterfall, because truth is this is a gimmicky scarf set that kills of things like gengar and infernape, and carries superpower instead of earthquake. Rather, I switch between the two attacks, and this time I happened to be carrying superpower . . .

Enzo3254 switched in Celebi (lvl 100 Celebi).
Swampert used Waterfall.
Celebi lost 11% of its health.
Celebi's leftovers restored its health a little!
Celebi restored 6% of its health.

[Celebi-Enzo’s Lefties will be removed from here out]

And Celebi comes in. It would have been cool if I had SR’d (yes, I have SR on CS Swampy) haha—great on turns when I know they’ll switch to a counter . . . like this one . . . well, I could not have known in this case, and I could not afford to get locked into SR against a +2 SPD Metagross. In any case, I did get to force meta out, and I see Celebi. Celebi is really annoying opponent, with t-wave and hp fire making nothing really safe. For this reason, I always prefer to scout them with my own celebi who can handle anything but the rare U-Turn. Once it T-Waves me (with any luck) I’ll get an easy switch to a poke that can hurt celebi.

E-Celebi used Grass Knot.
C-Celebi lost 3% of its health.
C-Celebi's leftovers restored its health a little!
Celebi restored 5% of its health.

[Celebi-choutoshio’s Lefties will be removed from here out]

Alright, I’ve got my celebi in. I’m running the timid baton-passer’s ev spread (even though I have nothing to pass), so I know I’m probably faster. That’s a no-no in terms of baton pass use, as it could lead to one of my pokes getting needlessly paralyzed. So, I got to kill some time, burn this next turn by attacking. I opt for Earth Power here, as it hits the potential Metagross re-switch hard. It would also wallop any Heatran or Infernape if they felt like switching in. Even if I end up just revealing the attack, having Metagross fear Celebi for the rest of the match is not a bad thing by any means. I’m thus praying for 1 of 2 nice outcomes:

1) Celebi stays in and T-Waves me, making me slower so I can easily make a nice switch with B-Pass.

2) Metagross comes in and eats Earth Power (greedy to Agility)

I think these are the two events most likely to happen as well.

C-Celebi used Earth Power.
E-Celebi lost 9% of its health.
E-Celebi used Thunder Wave.
C-Celebi is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

Nice, I’m paralyzed. Time to B-Pass, and get the advantage against whatever he has out.

E-Celebi used Thunder Wave.
But it failed!

K, he stayed in. I’ll go to Latias, set up a sub in the face of T-Wave (maybe) or one of his attacks. Likely he’ll bring in a pursuit user, but that will just let me scout more of his team. He can pursuit my sub and I won’t mind too much at this point in the game.

C-Celebi used Baton Pass.
choutoshio switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Celebi's leftovers restored its health a little!
Celebi restored 3% of its health.

Let’s see what he does against my sub.

Latias used Substitute.
Latias lost 25% of its health.
Latias made a substitute!
Celebi used Thunder Wave.
But it failed!
Latias's leftovers restored its health a little!
Latias restored 6% of its health.

[Latias-choutoshio’s lefties will be removed from here out]

So I get a free turn against the t-wave. I decide to calm mind here, just because TTar/Scizor would lol at dragon pulse anyway. Might as well start setting up on the rare chance he lets me sweep.

Enzo3254 switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).

Yup, didn’t see that coming.

Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!
Latias used Calm Mind.
Latias's special attack was raised.
Latias's special defence was raised.
The sandstorm rages.

[Sand removed from here out]

Alright, I got to switch. I could go to Scizor here and just U-Turn the crap out of whatever, but my team does not really fear tyranitar, and I want to push him into a situation where he’s forced to risk other pokemon. I’ll go back to Gyara (who wants to be abused as much as possible before SR comes out), intimidate the crap out of TTar and then immediately make the double switch to Scizor (expecting a Celebi return).

Tyranitar used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Latias!
Latias's substitute faded!
Gyarados's intimidate cut Tyranitar's attack!

Phase one complete.

Phase two complete. I’m definitely interested in seeing if this Celebi has HP fire, and this next turn should show me (if they have HP fire, they almost always use it not expecting a near-max-special-bulk scizor). I’ll either be left with a weakened scizor but having killed the celebi standing in the way of my swampert/gyarados, or I’ll just get a free U-Turn.

Enzo3254 switched in Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ?).
Scizor used U-turn.
Swampert lost 30% of its health.

No Hidden Power Fire I guess. Swampert takes U-Turn like a champ, and doesn’t really leave with me with a fun situation. I am guessing I can make it run with Celebi though, so I’m going to Baton Pass to a better opponent. Sure he could call my bluff and SR, but you have to take some risk if you want to win.

Swampert used Protect.
Swampert protected itself!
Celebi used Baton Pass.
Gyarados's intimidate cut Swampert's attack!

Huh, protect. Not as good as the best situation, but not as bad as the worst. I am still not wanting to let Swampert set up SR, and I am not scared of a Taunted Celebi (who is the likeliest switch in), so I’m just going to make the obvious taunt move.

Gyarados used Taunt.
Celebi fell for the taunt!

Celebi has been taunted. Time to switch to Scizor for another free U-Turn.

Enzo3254 switched in Machamp (lvl 100 Machamp ?).

. . . or not. Nice Double Switch by Enzo. I am running some speed on my Scizor though, so I’m just going to U-Turn for whatever damage I can get. Gyarados will handle the D-Punch alright without SR up.

Scizor used U-turn.
Machamp lost 25% of its health.
Gyarados's intimidate cut Machamp's attack!
Machamp used Dynamicpunch.
Gyarados lost 24% of its health.
Machamp recovered health with Leftovers

[Machamp's leftovers will be removed from here out]

A typical bulky machamp, and I was able to knock it down a peg with U-Turn and Intimidate. Unfortunately Gyara is confused, and I’m not really liking the idea of risking it on confusion at this point (especially with Celebi in the wings). I am expecting Stone Edge or T-Punch though, so I’ll switch to Swampert, looking to hurt machamp more.

Machamp used Payback.
Swampert lost 28% of its health.

Swamp takes the hit ok considering it’s got minimal HP/DEF evs. Thanks Intimidate. I’ll have to attack at this point, and risk the confusion issue.

Swampert used Waterfall.
Machamp lost 43% of its health.
Swampert lost 43% of its health.
Swampert became confused!

I’ve now got Machamp in range to be KO’d by waterfall should it hit. However, at this point I’m thinking there is a good chance he has guessed I am scarfed (seeing no lefties and the amount of damage his attacks are managing). Well, there’s just the general fact that I outspeed and ko a very valuable pokemon if he stays in. Therefore, I’m guessing he switches. Latias seems like an enemy with the best chance to set up. Considering a possible Latias switch in, and a potential Dynamic Punch, I decide to switch back to Gyara (yay, for no SR!).

Gyarados's intimidate cut Latias's attack!

Alright, I’ve got my Outraging Gyara in against Latia, and he knows full well I’m packing Outrage. This is a tricky situation as he could easily switch to Metagross in the face of Outrage and sweep a good portion of my team. On the other hand, he also fears my out-predicting and just EQing. This risk is amped by the fact I predicted my way into this Latias-Gyara face off. Also unless he has memorized some very obscure calcs like CB Gyra Outage v. Reflect Latias (lol) he still does not know 100% that I am choiced, this idea thrown off by my taunting. Considering my momentum (and that Gyara will be knocking Metagross into Scizor U-Turn KO range with Outrage regardless) I opt to just outrage the bitch.

Gyarados used Outrage.
Celebi lost 38% of its health.

I’m starting to see how Enzo battles. He’s a cautious, conservative player, and has once again showed me “not the best, but not the worst” a move hedging against possible miss-prediction. Gyara is not getting out of this without paralysis, and it’s always possible he’ll just keep recovering as I outrage. Regardless though, I’m sure at the end of this outrage, I’ll have a nice chance to switch in Scizor against Celebi. It’s “not the best, but not the worst” situation.

Gyarados used Outrage.
Celebi lost 38% of its health.
Gyarados is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Gyarados's rampage ended.

Celebi used Recover.
Celebi restored 50% of its health.

Everything is going as planned. Swampert is coming back in, but I really don’t mind keep getting these free U-Turn hits on it. Even with Protect/Leftovers, U-Turn will wear it down eventually.

Scizor used U-turn.

This turn I have to Energy Ball, Metagross or not. I want to instill in Enzo a healthy fear of me just playing the obvious move and E-Balling, even should I not make the hit. Though, with his conservative play-style it is unlikely he’ll stay in. Knowing I’m packing baton pass, there’s a chance I can even scare him out of protecting with the threat of calm mind. He hasn’t seen my 4th move.

Celebi used Energy Ball.
Celebi lost 13% of its health.
Celebi's special defence was lowered.

Celebi comes back in and I get a lucky (albeit rather futile) special defense drop. I can’t do anything to him, but he can’t really do anything to me. I am going to HP Fire for whatever damage I can get, and then B-Pass out (hopefully while paralyzed).

Celebi used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Celebi lost 41% of its health.
Celebi is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

Hidden Power Fire hits for rather pathetic damage even with the sp.DEF drop, but more importantly my Celebi picks up Paralysis. Here’s crossing my fingers and hoping for no para-hax as I B-Pass.

Celebi used Recover.
Celebi restored 50% of its health.
Celebi used Baton Pass.

A long battle, and it’s Celebi v. Scizor again. A brainless turn really, we both know what’s going to happen—he switches, I U-Turn, Swampert continues to lol at his ability to leftovers in sand.

Scizor used U-turn.
Swampert lost 29% of its health.

Knowing I have no Calm Mind, there is a very high chance he’ll just protect for more lefties, knowing I’m helpless to touch him while he does. Unfortunate, but I really got nothing to do except bring in Celebi now that Gyara is paralyzed (and I don’t want to keep using CB taunt anyway). I’ll Earth Power to leave the impression that I am mixing it up and keep Metagross from thinking of coming in.

Swampert used Protect.
Celebi used Earth Power.

Now here's the important turn. Will I energy ball, or will I Earth Power? I’ve managed to leave the impression that I’m giving Enzo this decision. I’ve also shown a few times now that his Celebi cannot get the advantage over mine. But it’s exactly because I’ve got him thinking about this, that I’ve got to do something totally different.

Celebi used Baton Pass.

Heh heh

I could pursuit here, but I’m not sure if that would kill Reflect-Protected Latias. U-Turn will kill Latias or hurt swampy more.

Latias used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!
Scizor used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Latias lost 36% of its health.
Enzo3254's Latias fainted.
choutoshio switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).

6 v. 5 choutoshio

Yes, that’s right. I’m not really interested in counting turns, but I know as I write this that this warstory is already passing the 9 page (not double spaced!) point, and the first pokemon just got knocked out. That’s the power of a tough conservative play style like Enzo’s piloting a true bulky-offensive (offensive tank?) team. Latias goes down, and I know the game is going to kick into high pace from here. Either I will break his team after taking down the first defensive link, or Reflect will lead his team to breaking mine. This turn will start it all. Whether Latias’ Reflect or Scizor’s kill will lead to victory, only the next few turns will tell. I got to hang tough and fight through the reflect.

My TTar is all Special, and that’s the reason I’m having it lead off this anti-reflect campaign. Dark Pulse/Ice Beam/Flamethrower gives me enough coverage to be a threat to most enemies that would want to come in on ttar. One more Motivation is that my TTar is now practically useless—he can’t really beat any of the enemies 1 v. 1—Machamp, Swampert, Metagross, TTar (who beats mine on virtue of it having physical attacks while mine doesn’t) and Celebi. Celebi’s the only one that naturally loses to my ttar, and even it can leave me seriously wounded with Grass Knot. Celebi is also defeated 1 v. 1 by both scizor and latias. The point is that at this point TTar is my most expendable pokemon, and also the only poke that has not been used in battle yet.

I know that it will outrun both Machamp and Swampert, that it can 2hko swampert with Dark Pulse, and that I can hit metagross hard with Flamethrower, easily knocking it in U-Turn kill range.

With Reflect Up, I am sure that Enzo is feeling great temptation to try and come in and set up Swamp’s SR or Metagross’ Agility. In the case of the former, I can sub on protect, then procede to run past it and 2hko it with dark pulse (it’s at about 30%, can get back to around 40% with lefties). In the case of the later, I can Flamethrower it as it Agilities and then finish it off with Celebi’s Earth Power.

Once again though, Enzo’s conservative style brings him to ignore the (apparent) opportunity to set up, and leads him to what’s actually his best bet, bringing in machamp. Fortunately, I have terrific Death Fodder for this situation.

Gyarados's intimidate cut Machamp's attack!
Gyarados lost 23% of its health.

Gyarados comes in and Intimidates with its final breath, 4% health. I’m paralyzed so machamp could finish me off with ease, regardless I’m going to Outrage—it hits Celebi best (not like it matters with reflect) and considering that Sand is about to kill me regardless, I’m not giving a damn about getting stuck.

Gyarados is confused!
Gyarados used Outrage.
Swampert lost 21% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Gyarados is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Gyarados lost 5% of its health.
choutoshio's Gyarados fainted.

5 v. 5

Swamp comes in, easily shrugging off the Outrage, though I am not quite sure why the switch. Perhaps he was saving D-Punch PP, or just didn’t want to leave machamp out (susceptible to the easy kill by scizor). In any case, Swamp is stuck at 15% health, and Scizor is looking like a nice way to finish it off.

Swampert used Protect.
Scizor used U-turn.

Of course, Protect + Reflect brings Swamp back into the safety range against U-Turn. However, as I am the one trying to fight through the enemy’s reflect, I can’t really complain about him burning turns protecting. Not the best, but not the worse situation for either of us I’d say . . .

Scizor used U-turn.
E-Swampert lost 17% of its health.
E-Swampert used Waterfall.
C-Swampert lost 29% of its health.
choutoshio's Swampert fainted.
Swampert's reflect wore off!

4 v. 5 Enzo

Reflect is gone, and I bring my swampert back in, aiming to make the kill but get ko’d myself. That’s what I get for no HP/DEF evs, eh? Ha ha Let’s try this scizor kill again.

Swampert used Protect.
Scizor used U-turn.

Scizor gets a free switch back in, and Swampert is sitting just in my kill range, as it is sitting at 29% with reflect down, and my U-Turns have been hitting ~30%. U-Turn will also kill TTar or Celebi and leave a huge dent on Metagross. I click and pray that I both get average damage, and that he doesn’t land a 50% Protect.

Scizor used U-turn.
Enzo3254's Swampert fainted.
choutoshio switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).

4 v. 4

Hell yeah! Scizor makes the clean kill and I bring Tyranitar in again to try and bait Metagross. He has still yet to see my ttar attack, firmly keeping his own ttar and celebi at bay.

But, I am once again disappointed. At this point, I really can’t afford to make any swithes into D-Punch. Machamp is sitting at around 30%, which seems just outside of my range to kill with ice beam/flamethrower based on previous experiences against bulky machamp. At that point, even scizor can finish it with U-Turn should it survive. I go for the Ice Beam, not wanting to reveal flamethrower. Should TTar successfully make the kill.

Tyranitar used Ice Beam.
Machamp lost 26% of its health.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 100% of its health.
choutoshio's Tyranitar fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
Machamp is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Machamp lost 6% of its health.
Enzo3254's Machamp fainted.

3 v. 3

TTar does fail to make the KO, as I thought, but sand does. In retrospect, this outcome has its definite benefits over ttar killing machamp cleanly (that being that even if his ttar is a set up one it won’t get the chance). Though, I am 90% sure the enemy ttar is a choice one (carrying pursuit afterall). Enzo continues to show his endurance even against my heavy offensive, and keeps hedging his odds to keep himself in the game.

As I consider which of my pokes to bring in next, I finally decide on Celebi. Against Metagross, Celebi can Earth Power it into a good range to be finished by Scizor. Against TTar, I can b-pass out, trapping it into pursuit against scizor. Against Celebi, I’ve already shown that mine has the advantage.

Enzo3254 switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).

Earth Power it is. He’ll Agility first, needing to get the speed advantage.

Celebi used Earth Power.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Metagross lost 47% of its health.
The Shuca Berry weakened Earth Power's power!
Metagross used Agility.
Metagross's speed was sharply raised.

Shuca eh? First time a while to see that instead of Occa, but I am surprised at how much damage I manage. That crit was nice, as it showed me how much damage metagross is taking from a regular Earth Power. Feel some guilt about it, but seeing how much damage earth power did, I'm wondering if it even matters. That Meta is not running much defense. In that case I start getting a bit excited thinking Celebi can finish Metagross off all by itself. Even a Ice Punch only does the same amount as Meteor Mash, which has no chance to 1hko, and maybe not even 2hko.

Metagross used Meteor Mash.
Celebi lost 43% of its health.
Celebi used Earth Power.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 42% of its health.
Enzo3254's Metagross fainted.

3 v. 2

Looks like the crit last turn didn't matter (which makes me feel a bit better) since Metagross can't even 2hko (I'm still at 57% health after that attack, so Celebi would have killed Metagross regardless).

2 more enemies. He's going to bring in TTar. There’s no point B-Passing to bring out Scizor (especially as he could just Stone Edge), as I have to maintain his health as much as possible. I’ll just attack ttar for as much damage as possible and sac Celebi.

Celebi used Energy Ball.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 36% of its health.
Tyranitar used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Celebi lost 57% of its health.
choutoshio's Celebi fainted.

2 v. 2 choutoshio

lol, and a second ultimately useless critical hit, but at least they balance.

With this I can safely bring Scizor back in. If I play my cards right, I’ve got this thing won.

Now, who is going down, Celebi or TTar?

Scizor used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Celebi lost 71% of its health.
Enzo3254's Celebi fainted.
choutoshio switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias ?).

2 v. 1 choutoshio

Celebi finally eats the dust, and now it’s Latias and Scizor v. CB ttar.

Latias used Dragon Pulse.
Tyranitar lost 21% of its health.
Tyranitar used Stone Edge.
A critical hit!
Latias lost 81% of its health.
choutoshio's Latias fainted.

1 v. 1

Not much to say, Scizor v. TTar, I think you all know what’s going to happen. A tight battle over a long battle, filled with prediction and drawn all the way to the finish.

Enzo3254: GG
choutoshio: gg

Scizor used Bullet Punch.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 43% of its health.
Enzo3254's Tyranitar fainted.
choutoshio wins!

Thanks for the battle Enzo. It was a really exciting one—Waku Waku. No crazy UU pokemon, no weird suspects or special metagames. Straight on standard v. standard—but it’s as fun as it ever was. Keeping it simple—good game.

Props:
-Bulky Swampert Lead showing it’s effectiveness as strong now as early DP or even ADV.
-Machamp proving itself to be a pivotal player in battle each time it came out.
-Reflect Latias showing its use even in death
-Careful CB scizor surviving the whole battle and keeping offense constant (lol, who needs Bullet Punch?)
-CB Jolly Outrage Taunt Gyara. It’s just so pwn. Was pivotal in keeping the momentum on my side, and was key in—
-A pure offensive team keeping SR off the field for the whole freaking game!
-Offense Tank team also keeping up so much pressure that my team couldn’t set up SR the whole game!

-A tight battle between two intense players. It was a hot battle! GG!

Slops:
-lol, Maybe that Steel / Latias / Swampert / Tyranitar / Celebi was on both teams?
-Uh . . . I couldn't think of anything funny, but it was supposed to be an intense and dry story anyway.

ENZO3245’s Team:

Amazing battle. 10/5 stars. Loved the commentary. Kept me intrested (more like absorbed lol) in the battle, made me read every word (hard to do). I should try that CB Gyara. Looks like a beast from this warstory.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wow, I loved the commentary. The Black font hurts my eyes, bu that's just me, I suppose.
Really good warstory, really good battle.

Excellent warstory; great battle, but the commentary was absolutely great. Allows the reader to really get into the mind of a great battler, see what goes through his head.

Amazing battle and predictions, you were both playing at the top of your game. Really illustrates competitive battling and how battles can show a player's skills and prediction, at the very least for a longer amount of time, without entry hazards (props for keeping up the pressure to prevent them). 5/5

Amazing battle. 10/5 stars. Loved the commentary. Kept me intrested (more like absorbed lol) in the battle, made me read every word (hard to do). I should try that CB Gyara. Looks like a beast from this warstory.
You are idiot. You cant give this wartory 10/5 if the max is 5/5. You should give it 25/5 ¬¬'

Omfg, good predictions, good battle, good battlers and good pokes

25/5 isnt enough. I give you :pimp:/5

Eh, I didn't really like Enzo was not playing to achieve anything, all he was doing was playing to resistances and defense, without really accomplishing much offensively, and after enough U-Turn/Outrages his Defensive core finally gave in.

On the plus side though, amazing predictions skills and novelty Pokemon usage by you Chou.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I agree with Pablo on how Enzo wasn't doing anything offensively. But, the battle was better than most, and the commentary great. *****, Inb4archive

Couple things...
The battle was fricking amazing! It was really awesome. I enjoyed how despite the lack of major stall team, this dragged out pretty long.
Great commentary as well
One problem is the formatting
It gets confusing at many points as to whose is whose pokemon, if you get my drift
All the little things like sandstorm will be neglected to be mentioned from now on, also breaks it up and confuses some readers
And one suggestion I might add, is that after each turn, maybe do mini-avatars with HP? It could help tell the story better.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for all the comments guys, wow 9 only a few hours after the post-- I'm touched.

@Pablo-- Taking a step back and looking at the overall battle again, I'd agree that the basic center of the story surrounds Scizor using Swampert as a punching bag without the opponent being able to retaliate well. However I do think that it was not an easy game from my side, as if Enzo had managed to get up SR (It could happen) or if I had screwed up badly on prediction (even more likely to happen), my slow U-Turn kill game would have been out the window, and protect/lefties swamp would have gotten the better of me. The longer the game drags out, the higher chance there is to screw up the prediction, and when you're using frail pokes the cost of screwing up can be bigger compared to a bulky-sweeper (offensive-tank?) team.

Overall, it's probably true that Enzo's moves were overall, perhaps a bit too conservative (and thus giving me the chance to take the initiative), but I definitely think that overall they were hard to deal with, and I believe the ladder system can instill this kind of conservatism in a player.

"Winning in the long run" is how we judge pokemon players, but it can be weird, because the moves one would pick to give you the highest chance of winning any 1 game are not necessarily the same moves that give you the best chance of winning 9/10 games. It can warp the mind a bit @,@ (putting aside that Latias was my only "standard" set, and the rest were "gimmicky" lol)

edit:@BalancedPower's formatting suggestions-- I refuse! lol
Well how should I put it? This a traditional style of warstories from around the beginning of DP. It's what I'm accustomed to, and I refuse to change it! In reverse, the colored texts and excessive sprites burn my eyes!! It's kind of like how folks accustomed to ADV or GSC warstories can't stand to see turn-by-turn log. While there's not necessarily a "right" way of doing it between tradition and new, you can't get people to agree on a formatting outside what they're accustomed to! (Also can be read: I'm far to lazy to do annoying and extraneous things like putting in little pictures and count up hp points. This is a warSTORY, not a warCOMICBOOK)

You know Chou you write too well x_x Amazing commentary and a very good battle imo :] Keep these up I enjoy reading them all

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Amazing. Awesome pokes you got there, CS Swampy and CB Gyara with outrage xD.

Anyways, i liked the comments a lot and the battle was more than decent.

Haha the only thing Scizor did was U-Turn the whole game (except the last Bullet Punch).

Very nice warstory, nice prediction skills on both sides, really kept me reading until the end. But I wouldn't expect anything less from Choutoushio, nice work!

I like, good old-fashioned warstory. Great writing does not need all the flash and visual aids most warstories like to have these days to cover that.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wow, half the thing was taking out the first Pokemon, then it finally sped up from there.

No slops?

Very nice battle with great predictions and in depth comments, although I would agree that your opponent was no where near aggressive enough.

What was the fourth move on Ttar Chou?
Was is Substitute? If so, couldn't you have used that against Machamp letting it take sand damage (I didn't see leftovers, maybe i missed it though) and putting it in Ice Beam/FT kill range? If the last move wasn't Sub or Machamp did have lefties ignore this but it seems like that would have done Machamp in without sacrificing Ttar.

Also, would have been interesting to see how the match played out differently if Rocks were up on both sides, there was so much switching made possible by the lack of entry hazards (I would say its kinda refreshing though to see a match with no SR up for once though).

Btw- loved the match and story, great read.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
@Blazer-- Yeah, TTar's last move was sub, and yeah accidently skipped that Machamp had Lefties (forgot to mention that). I'll put it back in now. Also, if Rocks had gone up on both sides [early in the game], I'm 80% certain I would have lost (on merit of Scizor and Gyara hating SR more than Swampert and Machamp).

@Lightsabre-- I can't seem to win UU battles :P

@Supermath-- when you're piloting an offensive team versus a [more] defensive team (because to be fair Enzo's is more like offensive-tanks), it's always about taking out the first enemy. I didn't feel like much to say in slops but, maybe that it felt like 5/6 pokes were the same on both sides (Scizor v. Metagross doesn't count as all that different in my eyes), though I guess it was interesting since none of our sets were the same.

Relaxed Support-Pert v. Scarf-pert, Agiligross v. CBscizor, Reflect-Latias v. Sub-Latias, CBtar v. Modest-Boah, Support-Celebi v. B-Pass-3attack-Celebi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)