Kommo-O (Now with new moves and Glangorous Soulblaze Action!)

Please note this is my first crack at a competitive Pokemon moveset, so don't be too hard on me here (Though corections and calculations are welcome for the sake of helping other competitive players gleam something from my two cents)

Despite being gen 7's psuedo-legendary, Kommo-O never seemed to be a popular choice for Sun & Moon teams for recreational or competitive players. The former I understand because it's a late game catch and honestly looks kinda like a turkey, and to a lesser extent the latter because GameFreak really went out of its way to give it a limited offensive movepool for no reason other than I assume to mess with us. But whether it was an intentional malicious joke, I'd say the joke ended with the intro of Ultra Sun & Moon which gave Kommo-O a wider movepool, move tutors, and most notablely an exclusive Z-move that not only does a LOT of damage but also increases all of Kommo-O's stats! (Minus accuracy and evasion) SO let's take another look at the sets this Draconian Buddhist Monk of Pokemon can run now that it seems to have finally found "Enlightenment":

Set: Xao-Liz Showdown
Ability: Bulletproof
Held Item: Kommonium Z
Nature: Naive
EV's: 252 SpAtt, 252 Speed, 4 Attack

Clanging Scales
Focus Blast
Flamethrower
Close Combat/Poison Jab/Iron Head

Set Description:
It's a fairly straightforward mixed martial arts attacking set allowing Kommo-O to make use of not only its 100 base special attack but it's 110 base physical attack. Turn Clanging Scales into Clangorous Soulblaze with the Z-Crystal allowing you a powerful one-time nuke attack on the unfortunate target (Just be weary of Fairy switch-ins that block the move entirely) and getting an across the board stat boost, most notably an attack, special attack, and a speed boost, the last of which is needed in order for Kommo-O to outrun many problematic non-boosting speedsters in the upper tiers. With Kommo-O's stats now jacked up and up to par, it can now inflict a great deal of damage on the opposition.

Even after the exclusive Z-move, Clanging Scales is still Kommo-O's best move in its arsenal at 110 base power and 100% accuracy making it very spammable.
Focus Blast, although stronger, has a shaky 70% accuracy and therefore should only be utilized when needed, but even then the impact is undeniable (It's just a shame that a Pokemon based off of a monk didn't get Aura Sphere...).
Flamethrower is of course there to handle targets not reliably taken care of by its STAB moves, most notably the 4x Fire weakness menaces Ferrothorn and Scizor.
The last moveslot is Kommo-O's only physical attack and is a matter of preferance and coverage. Unlike Focus Blast, Close Combat can be used consistently at the paltry expense of its defenses which are already being compromised by Clanging Scales anyway, and it's also Kommo-O's best counter to a certain pink egg that works in the healthcare industry that otherwise counters an exclusively special attacking set. Fairys tend not to fear Kommo-O given that they block or resist both of its STAB's and can easily knock it out thanks to its 4x weakness, so Poison Jab or Iron Head (New move tutor) may be a useful option to surprise the likes of Azumarill, Mimikyu, or any number of Fairy types who think they are safe (The added chance of poisoning or flinch is nifty too).

So, how did I do? Did I cover most of my bases? Did I spark any competitive curiosity in Kommo-O's exclusive Z-move? Did I miss anything?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)