Project LC Research Week Closed for Now (Won by Fille)

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
Approved by: Fiend
OP adapted from Mazz from xy uu research week

Welcome to Research Week!

This Week's Research Pokemon:

How useful are these Pokemon in SuMoLC? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? How have they changed since last gen? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in the lc chats well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt with the prefix "RW" and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!
  • You can start laddering once the week starts.

The first stage of the challenge (the first three days) will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder peak on the Pokemon Showdown LC ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends.

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.

PS Username: Ara
Ladder Username: RW Mixtape
Pokemon(s): Mudbray

Hi, I got to 1400 with Magikarp on the alt RW Mixtape. Here is the screenshot (screenshot)

Magikarp @ Waterium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Splash
- Flail
- Happy Hour
- Bounce

I used this magikarp set to to try and take advantage of Z-Spash which can be very deadly. In practice, I found it very mediocre and extremely situational. It struggles with common pokemon like X, Y, and Z. Overall I would recommend this only as a meme as its not very good.

Cumulative Leaderboard

• 1.Fille (15 points)
    • 2. All-Star Lineup (8 Points)
    • 3. Rambon99 (6 Points)
    • 4. Laroxyl (3 Points)
    • 5.Ztstaffto (3 Points)
    • 6. Yppiks123 (3 Points)
    • 7. Blinkboy (3 Points)
    • 8.Inscribe (2 Points)
    • 9. Plasmagby (2 Points)
    • 10. Svertigo (1 Point)
    • 11. Cashed (1 Point)
    • 12. Adam the first (1 Point)
    • 13. ItzViper482 (1 Point)

ARCHIVES:
Week 1 Winner: Fille Pokemon: Pikipek
Week 2 Winner Fille Pokemon: Alolan Diglet
Week 3 Winner All-Star Lineup Pokemon : Z move Bellsprout
Week 4 Winner Fille Pokemon: Sandshrew
Week 5 Winner rambon99 Pokemon: Alolan Rattata

Last edited:
PS : Rambon99
New Ladder : RW Memes
Pokemon(s): Mudbray, Yungoos

Welp I didn't have a lot of time to ladder this week so I only got to 1200s (I also forgot to save my replays, so my apologies.)

Anyways, here's the sets.

Yung goooz (Yungoos) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 52 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Crunch
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Choice band + Adaptability Return from Yungoos hurts. A lot. I'm talking about OHKOing most things that don't run evio and don't resist, as well as Two-Hit-KOing things with evio. This thing is a monster. The problem, however lays in it's speed tier. At Jolly Max Speed, Yungoos hits 15 max Speed. It's a fairly decent speed tier, but the fact that you're not running evio means you're dying to any hit from an offensive mon, and taking tons from defensive mons. Basically, Yungoos will beat anything it outspeeds and doesn't OHKO it back.
As for the moves, most of the time you're clicking return. If something resist Return, then Earthquake is probably your safest bet. U-Turn gives you momentum, as you can use it to predict switches. And Crunch is there for things that take Return and Earthquake, like Gastly.(Also of note, in the short time I played with this mon I don't think I clicked Crunch once, so take that as you will.)
All in all, Yungoos isn't very good. Yes, you will do hecks of a lot of damage to pokemon that are slower than you or try to switch in on you, (I once OHKO'd offensive Mien from full when catching the switch.) BUT, 15 speed tier is not good enough to create consistent damage, and you're not bulky enough to take a hit. Maybe scarf would be better, but scarf misses on some nice KOs you would get from band. The point of Banded Yungoos is to make holes in defensive mons for late game sweeper, and while it does its job when it can, it's just not consistent enough to be good.

Next is Donkey, from Shrek Super Slam
Mudbray @ Eviolite
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Rest Talk Mudbray is suuuper good. This thing can take on teams on its own. Eliminate all of the special attackers in the enemy team and this thing will sweep. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Stamina is the only ability you should be running on any Bray. Getting Plus 1 Defense after every hit is godlike, because that plus 1 is the difference between a Two-Hit-KO and a Three-Hit-KO. Evio + max SpDef + Careful nature means you're not dying to special attacks from full, you wont be able to take on special attacker on your own, but you'll probably be living a super effective Special attack from full and be able to KO. You go max attack for maximum power (100 base attack is nothing to scoff at), and the rest goes into HP and Def for extra bulk. (Alternatively you could use a bulkier spread with more defense, but I don't think it's really worth it since you'll be getting stamina boosts anyways). Then you put Earthquake for stab, and Rock Slide for flying.
There's two ways to play this bad boy. When you need an immediate shield, or when you're trying to go for game. Immediate shield, you go into a physical attack, take the damage (If it's over 40% you rest up) and get the defense boost. This will stop whatever physical attacker is hitting you right in hist tracks. If you haven't gotten rid of all of the enemy's special attackers, that's where the problem comes in, as the can come in and try to revenge kill. With Sleep Talk though you'll still be getting some good damage on them for later on. If there are no more special attackers, then you should be pretty much done, as there aren't a lot of physical mons that can OHKO Mudbray, specially after some previous defense boosts. (Unless they have super effective moves and you have no defense boosts)
Mudbray is a good pokemon with a good ability. The problem with it most of the time is it has a hard time getting defense boosts. With Rest, you'll get your defense boosts and you get to keep full hp, while also not having to rely on berry juice and getting more bulk thanks to evio. As with most mudbray sets, be careful with special attackers and other mons that can hit you for super effective damage. All in all, you just wanna get into a hit from a physical attacker that you can take, get your boosts and rest up. Rinse and repeat.

The Meme Team
Mienfoo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Drain Punch
- High Jump Kick

stupid birb (Vullaby) @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 240 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave
- Nasty Plot

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Stunky @ Eviolite
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 12 HP / 92 Atk / 60 Def / 108 SpA / 188 SpD / 4 Spe
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Bomb

The rest of the pokemons are common mons that are usually run in LC. Scarf Mien is there because there is no speed in this team. I was using bulky mien, but I found that I kept loosing to things that were fater than me. Weak Armor Vull is amazing this gen. Vull isn't really used as a late game sweeper, (though it can still do that) thanks to the amazing lack of special attackers, Vull will have to switch into certain mons that take physical hits *cough cough* Mudbray * cough cough* so that it can surprise them with special attacks, but once the surprise is gone it's harder to play with it. It's still really good. Pawn is there to set up rocks, but mainly to be an offensive sort of bulky presence. It scares off fairies, and can Defiant sweep if necessary, as well as providing nice priority with Sucker Punch and getting rid of items with the Koff. Lastly there's Stunky. Stunky doesn't really add anything that good to the team. It can deal with some pesky special attackers, trapping Abra and Gast, but its mainly there to get rid of hazards and because I was tired of using Staryu on every single one of my teams. Though Staryu would probably be better.
And so the way this team functions is you use Yungoos, Pawn, Mudbray and Stunky to slowly ship at the enemy team so that Scarf Mien and Vullaby can pick up the endgame. Every now and then Vullaby and Mien will have to come out to deal with certain mons, but most of the time Pawn, Mud, Stunk should take care of things. Pawn and Mud are so good at being offensive and defensive that they are really good at supporting the team for the late game. Scarf mien and Vull are probably some of the best late game mons in the gen. Yungoos and Stunk had a hard time pulling their weight, and in all honesty if I wanted to construct a better team I would get rid of them. Specially Stunk, since I sacked him the most. Or maybe that's not such a bad thing, since he was a reliable sack, while Yungoos just sat in the bench line, hoping to get to pay one day...

Well this was fun. Sorry for not providing replays. I also would have liked to get higher on the ladder, but I was internetless this entire week so I couldn't really play. Hopefully next week will be a bit better!

Last edited:
PS Username: SVertigo
Ladder Username: RW Vertigo
Pokemon: Yungoos

Meet Richard, the Yungoos

Richard (Yungoos) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Crunch
- U-turn
- Earthquake

In all honesty, despite how cute this little guy is, he's pretty mediocre. Here's my current peak;

I know I didn't get very high, but I didn't have much time to play this week, and I can't say I'm excited to keep using Yungoos. My record with Yungoos is currently 16-2. I do plan on playing a little bit more after this post is updated, and I will update my peak and record accordingly. But now, let's talk about the Goos.

The first thing that appealed to me about Yungoos was STAB Return + Adaptability. I know it's kind of lame not to use Yungoos' signature ability, Stakeout, but I don't know how I feel about it. I don't think a lot of mons are threatened enough by Yungoos for them to switch out and take advantage of Stakeout. Whereas you can get some pretty decent damage numbers with STAB Return + Adaptability and full attack investment.

I decided that scarf would be the best choice on my Yungoos, because with speed investment + scarf he reaches 21 speed, just enough to outspeed anything un-boosted or un-scarfed. Without scarf, Yungoos can only reach 15 speed at max, which isn't too awful. However, Yungoos is pretty frail, and can't take many hits from anything offensive. To reach 15 speed, you also have to give up Adamant nature, which hurts your damage a bit.

My moveset was pretty simple, let's just try to do as much damage to as many different things we can. Return is obviously your bread and butter, hitting pretty much anything that doesn't resist it very well. Crunch is for desperation flinch hax, and Earthquake is just for coverage. U-Turn is extremely useful because you can bait your opponent into to some bad matchups, break focus sashes, and maintain momentum. Below I'll include some damage calculations so you can get an idea of a few matchups.

Obviously Abra is gonna get one shot but a lot of things, but it is worth noting that Yungoos' U-Turn will either knock out or break Abra's sash, while outspeeding Abra.

This one hurts my soul. Yungoos can not check any set of Bellsprout to be honest. Return cannot OHKO eviolite sprout, and dies to one Solar Beam. If Bellsprout is life orb, you are still outsped by it in the sun. :(

Well, to be fair, not a whole lot of pokemon can deal with a defensive Vullaby. Return has a very low chance to even 2HKO, and Vullaby's Brave Bird has a chance to OHKO.

An offensive Vullaby is not as bad, but It's still not the best matchup. There's a chance you can't 2HKO it, and a chance that it OHKOs you. The worst case scenario being if Vullaby is weak armor, because It's going to outspeed you after you hit it with one return.

Obviously Mienfoo is going to be a bad matchup, but I figured I'd include it because Mienfoo is a very common lead, and I usually lead with Yungoos. U-Turn will still outspeed foo, and then you can switch into a fighting type counter (more on that in the team section).

At least you can OHKO Gastly? Just hope it's not scarfed otherwise it outspeeds and OHKOs. And hope it's not sashed, because then it OHKOs.

I know these calculations look relatively grim, but these are mostly bad to meh case scenarios. Yungoos hits anything that isn't eviolite or resists normal extremely well.

Yungoos' team was definitely important to his 'performance'. Yungoos actually worked pretty well as a U-Turn lure, and can switch his allies into favorable matchups. I actually U-Turned to Morelull, to counter fighting types, and Diglett, to trap threats, quite often.

Morelull (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 196 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpA
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Strength Sap
- Spore

Diglett (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch

Mienfoo (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Magnemite @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Endure

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover

I'll include a few replays I've gathered below, though I do not have many where Yungoos really shines, due to the hit and run nature of the pokemon.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebanklc-513194130
- Here's an example where Yungoos can bring some surprise factor. The opponent didn't know I was scarfed, because his Pikipek was; This then allows me to get a sneaky kill on Hippopotas.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebanklc-513206327
- Here you can see how Yungoos can trap an opponent into a bad matchup. I particularly like U-Turning Morelull into a contact move and getting a free status on the opponent. Yungoos then later does a pretty hefty amount of damage to the Doduo, which then Brave Bird KOs itself.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebanklc-513209485
- In this battle Yungoos gets a decent ammount of damage off on Maranie, because of Earthquake coverage. Later in the battle (Turn 17) Yungoos manages to take an Aipom's fake out, and then OHKO it with a return.

Overall, Yungoos was a pokemon that I didn't really have high expectations for, and when it actually came down to it he wasn't thaaaaaaaaat bad. I'm being a little hard on him in this post because I think knowing a pokemon's weaknesses is the most important step to using it correctly. I'm going to wrap up this post with a pros and cons list; Thank you so much for reading, research week was a blast!

Pros:
  • Good lead with decent coverage
  • STAB Return + Adaptability hits very hard
  • Can bait enemies into bad matchups with a unexpected scarfed U-Turn
  • Decent revenge killer
  • Fairly easy to use
Cons:
  • Walled by many common threats, such as Vullaby, Pawniard, and most Sturdy users.
  • Outsped by almost all other Choice Scarf users
  • Obviously weak to bulky fighting types, however baiting those pokemon with U-Turn is very good.
  • Return is resisted by quite a few pokemon, so once you lock yourself in it is very easy to play around.
  • VERY weak to item removal such as Knock Off or Thief
Overall: 5/10

Attachments

Last edited:

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
Just a reminder that the week is ending tommorow! Get your sets, ladder ranks and experiences on this page for a chance to win the prestigious title of LC Sumo Research Week Winner!! (tm)

In other news, RW now has a discord! Winner of this week's RW will get special privileges on the channel and the right to choose next week's research pokemon
https://discord.gg/2UNfESJ

Fille

Afk
is a Pre-Contributor
LCPL Champion
Forgotten to save any replays, so rip me, but I guess I'll make this post now, then add replays from today later on.

PS Username: Fille
Ladder Username: FilleRWr
Pokemon: Pikipek

Slick Hair Tho (Pikipek) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bullet Seed
- Brick Break
- U-turn

Set I've ran the longest, most useful one I've tried.

Rihanna (Pikipek) (F) @ Berry Juice
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Thief
- Bullet Seed
- U-turn
In case you actually take a weak priority move, or get low due to shit hp stat and BB recoil, Bjuice up and then steal an important item from opp or just something semi useful.

Slick Hair Tho (Pikipek) (M) @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Brick Break
Flyinium Z so that BB can guarantee a kill on Pumpkaboo/Foongus/Timburr, or Vullaby defensive after a Swords Dance. Also means you can live a Knock Off from Pawniard which is fun every now and then. Also negated recoil damage 1 turn, which was very useful every now and then. Set worked out really well tbh, just not as well as Scarf set did.

So I figured you could just slap a scarf on about anything with 14 speed +, and especially on a mon with 17 speed, so opted for something different. At first I made 2 teams, 1 with SD Piki and 1 straight up Pivot to abuse it's STAB Brave Bird and the great coverage it gets from Bullet Seed, Brick Break and it's pivoting abilites with U-turn. Teams were all right, but Piki didn't really pull of it's weight that well for me. In the end I ended up just making a VoltTurn team with Scarf Pikipek based on a Bird Spam team I made with OneWord. This team turned out infinitely stronger, and Scarf Pikipek was far more threatening as it could (In my experience) threaten out the frailer, but faster threats such as Staryu, Abra, Gastly, Diglett and Doduo (To name a few important ones). I had Z memento Diglett to trap electric types (And get clutch kills on other threats to Piki if needed), with Z Memnto simply to heal Piki (And for other reasons but they're not important atm.) from BB recoil damage, but ended up not being neccessary as long as you either kept hazards away or stayed away from priority moves. Pikipek is extremely frail, just straight up dying to sucker punches from Pawniard, and taking a shitton of damage from everything else, which was a slight problem.

Pros:
  • Good coverage (Skill Link Bullet Seed, Brave Bird, Brick Break, U Turn, Thief (For Bjuice sets), Flame Charge if you dare)
  • Good antilead / pivot against common leads like Mienfoo/Onix
  • STAB Brave Bird is strong af
  • Set up moves as Mirror Move / Swords Dance / Flame Charge / Tailwind
  • Strong Support move in Tailwind
  • Flying typing is generally strong this meta with all the common fighting types, as well as the rise of Pumpkaboo

Cons:
  • Without Life Orb, misses out on the BB OHKO on Timburr / Pumpkaboo / Foongus / Mienfoo (Chance to OHKO but slim), LO gives it sick recoil.
  • Vullaby straight up walls it if defensive, which is fairly common
  • Predictable
  • 17 Speed makes it at best speedtie with a couple pokemons it would like to outspeed, such as Mienfoo and Chinchou
  • Frail af, renders it weak to priority moves and really can't switch in on much at all.
  • Only niche it's got over Doduo/Rufflet/Vullaby this generation is Bullet Seed, which really is only good for breaking SturdyJuice Onix and Tirtouga, and a certain U-turn which Doduo does not get.

I'm not impressed by Pikipek tbh. It did it's job well enough, but I'd say it's better to build a team around Doduo/Rufflet/Vullaby if you want to build around a bird.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebanklc-513049096

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebanklc-513053946

Neither of these 2 were any extraordinary games, but all the others Piki did like nothing like the useless little shit he is sadly. Piki did some work in earlier games I've had this week, but as mentioned I've got no replays as I do not have the habit of saving them. Will update when I get more replays.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebanklc-513077861

Why SD Doduo is superior to SD Piki (QA) imo, also to scarf it seems
+2 236 Atk Doduo Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Pikipek: 16-19 (80 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 19)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebanklc-513088490

A very lucky game against a good friend of mine, 2 kills for Piki so had to share despite my luck

Current Peak with Pikipek:

Small Edit: I see that most people have included their remaining team in this analysis, so I guess I might as well do so to show some ok partners for Piki.

Slick Hair Tho (Pikipek) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bullet Seed
- Brick Break
- U-turn

SubwayDiet (Munchlax) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SpD
Impish Nature
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Fire Punch

WheresMySquad? (Diglett) (M) @ Darkinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch
- Memento

Rebel (Mienfoo) (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Positive (Chinchou) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 156 HP / 212 Def / 68 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Sumo (Vullaby) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog

Best team so far.
Positive (Chinchou) @ Waterium Z
EVs: 156 HP / 52 Def / 228 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Rain Dance

Slick Hair Tho (Pikipek) (M) @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Brick Break

WheresMySquad? (Diglett) (M) @ Darkinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off

FollowTheLights (Chinchou) (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 148 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Sucker Punch
- Heal Bell

Anal Beads (Onix) (F) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Endure
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Patrick (Staryu) @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 156 Def / 116 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Rihanna (Pikipek) (F) @ Berry Juice
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Thief
- Bullet Seed
- U-turn

Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Drain Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off

Anal Beads (Onix) (F) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Endure
- Rock Blast

FollowTheLights (Chinchou) (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 148 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Sucker Punch
- Heal Bell

Assplosion (Stunky) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 12 HP / 12 Atk / 140 Def / 188 SpA / 108 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Bomb
- Pursuit

SubwayDiet (Munchlax) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 156 Atk / 116 Def / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The teams are all pretty similar tbh, as they1re somewhat based on the same team, while using a very standard VoltTurn core.

Last edited:
PS username: cashed/cashed 2.0 (If I don't get cashed's password back)
Ladder username: RW Dad
Pokemon: Mudbray

RWudbray (Mudbray) @ Eviolite
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Slide
- Rest

This is the set I ran for this weekend (Didn't play much during the week)

So the goods about mudbray:
  1. Very bulky for physical moves
  2. Ability combined with multi-hit moves is god like
  3. Can hit like a truck especially if you have something set up and baton pass in.

And the bads:
  1. DONT USE AS A SPECIAL WALL, i made this mistake it doesn't work
  2. Has a lack of health regeneration moves
  3. Has a lack of setup moves

Overall I think Mudbray is a good choice for a bulky ground type, although its not the best sweeper. But I did get a few sweeps with Mudbray so, you have to get lucky sometimes.

Replays:
(Forgive me, I only played for the weekend so there's only 3)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebanklc-513497440
This is a Mudbray sweep using the Torchic baton pass method so, yeah it could be a sweeper but ehh.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebanklc-513506168
Almost another sweep but it was taken out so.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebanklc-513517513
I included this mainly because I thought it was funny. But again the Torchic thing setup and sweep is real.

Teams:

Baton Pass:
http://pastebin.com/6UBhuW8X

Normal team (Didn't use as much because i swept with Dwebble 9/10 times):
http://pastebin.com/L6JCuPX6

Ladder:

So at one point I scraped the bottom of the ladder at 1278 but thought "I'll end up doing way better than that", so didn't screen-cap it. Here's the only screenshot I got (I'm kind of a noob at LC so... :/)

PS Username: Laroxyl
Ladder Username: RW CAIO MEMES
Pokemon(s): Sandygast

Sandygast @ Eviolite
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Shore Up
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball

This is sandygast's set. Sandygast is a very bulky pokémon with more than decent values as Def and Spdef and some nice values as offensive stats. This is, in my opinion, the only viable set. Shore up works well as a recovery move and so does EQ as a stab; then we have toxic for the likes of vullaby and doduo, and shadow ball to hit foe's ghost types, even though I prefer to run rocks slide to hit flying mons in general. Investment maximizes the defensive stats in order to easily take on bulky grounds, like Mudbray and Drillbur, to endure an Abra's shadow ball (either life orb abra and obviously sash abra), it also endures knock off from Mienfoo and Timburr.

Here are some calcs:
236 Atk Mold Breaker Drilbur Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Sandygast: 7-10 (28 - 40%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO

196 Atk Mudbray Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Sandygast: 7-10 (28 - 40%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO

240 SpA Abra Energy Ball vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Sandygast: 16-20 (64 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

240 SpA Life Orb Abra Energy Ball vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Sandygast: 21-26 (84 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Mienfoo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Sandygast: 10-12 (40 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

116 Atk Timburr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Sandygast: 10-12 (40 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

236 Atk Life Orb Doduo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Sandygast: 13-18 (52 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Sandygast Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Doduo: 12-16 (63.1 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

240+ SpA Vullaby Dark Pulse vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Sandygast: 14-20 (56 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

156 Atk Vullaby Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Sandygast: 14-18 (56 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

156 Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Sandygast: 14-18 (56 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Sandygast Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 14-18 (66.6 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

76 Atk Ponyta Flare Blitz vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Sandygast: 7-10 (28 - 40%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO

0 Atk Sandygast Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Ponyta: 14-18 (66.6 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Sandygast Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 80 SpD Gastly: 20-26 (105.2 - 136.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

200 SpA Gastly Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Sandygast: 18-24 (72 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

232 SpA Chinchou Scald vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Sandygast: 14-20 (56 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Sandygast Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Chinchou: 24-30 (100 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO

196+ Atk Grimer-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Sandygast: 14-20 (56 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Sandygast Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Grimer-Alola: 14-20 (56 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

196+ Atk Life Orb Carvanha Waterfall vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Sandygast: 18-23 (72 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Sandygast Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Carvanha: 15-18 (78.9 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Let's move on the pro and cons of this pokémon.

Pros:
good defensive stats while also mantaining a decent offensive presence,
really good stabs in earthquake and shadow ball,
access to a recovery in Shore Up,
access to status moves like toxic.

Cons:
not a great typing, because of the weakness to dark type (which means it dies to stab knock off and can be trapkilled),
not a really wide movepool,
too much slow,
his ability also results not-so-useful during the games.

Replays: here are some replays which show how cool this pokémon actually is.

Team:

Sandygast @ Eviolite
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Shore Up
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball

Rowlet @ Eviolite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 172 HP / 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Leaf Blade
- Roost
- Swords Dance

WAVE (Staryu) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Ponyta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 Atk / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flame Charge

Chinchou @ Berry Juice
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 152 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Heal Bell

Pawniard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

Ladder:

Conclusion: the way sandygast worked has been impressive to me. Honestly I thought it was bad and it's actually not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)