Jac (TL)
rozes
H&M Berkeley
Joltage
Shrug
Kingmidas
Oma
Fiend

This thread is for the discussion of where each Pokemon in LC UU stand viably. If you'd like to see a Pokemon rise or fall, by all means present a detailed case for it.

S-Rank
Reserved for Pokemon that are outstanding in the LC UU metagame. These Pokemon are able to perform a variety of roles effectively, or one particular role in an incredible manner. Pokemon in this tier are generally considered to be a low risk of use for a high reward. Any flaws they might have are extremely outweighed by their positive traits.

S

Doduo
Riolu
Taillow

A-Rank
Reserved for Pokemon that perform very well in the LC UU metagame. They can perform their role(s) smoothly with only minimal support, and while they have slightly more flaws than S-Rank Pokemon, their positives still outshine them.

A+

Hippopotas
Lileep
Slowpoke
Torchic
A
Frillish
Pumpkaboo-Super
Sandile
Sandshrew
Shellos

A-
Darumaka
Growlithe
Helioptile
Inkay
Kabuto
Magby
Natu
Purrloin
Tentacool
Tyrunt
Voltorb

B-Rank
Reserved for Pokemon that perform well in the LC UU metagame, but simply do not function in the same capacity that A-Rank and S-Rank Pokemon do. They require a bit more team support to achieve their maximum usefulness, but they are still effective threats.​
B+
Dratini
Machop
Mankey
Minccino

B
Amaura
Aron
Axew
Buizel
Buneary
Finneon
Geodude
Joltik
Krabby
Lickitung
Mantyke
Meowth
Rufflet
Snover
Solosis
Totodile
Treecko
Zorua

B-
Bulbasaur
Chespin
Clauncher
Deerling
Teddiursa
Venipede

C-Rank
Reserved for Pokemon that are able to function in the LC UU metagame, but require a decent amount of team support to be effective. While they can form a solid niche in the metagame, they have enough flaws to prevent them from being consistent.​
Binacle
Cubone
Deino
Flabebe
Goldeen
Pineco
Piplup
Spoink
Squirtle
Togepi
Trubbish

Unranked

Everything else until proven to be worth ranking.

Not worth ranking

Caterpie
Weedle
Wurmple
Kricketot
Scatterbug
Magikarp
Burmy
Combee
Feebas

Up For Discussion:

anything im all ears

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Totodile should probably be ranked. Maybe A- or so? Most of the defensive walls can't handle Totodile too well after a boost due to Water/Ice/Dark coverage, and it's got more than enough power to clean after its few counters are weakened. Honestly not quite sure where it should go, but it seems like it should be high.

Well seeing as Cran just got moved out of the tier via usage, that really isn't an issue. Beyond that though, in terms of coverage, Krab has all it really needs in Crabhammer and Knock Off since nothing in LC resists the pair of those (unless I'm missing something). Furthermore, You don't need to spend multiple turns boosting; if you're facing offence, you click Agility when you get the chance and kill everything, and against bulky teams, you find a turn to SD and kill everything. Yes, that is slight Hyperbole, but seriously, you just weaken the opposing mons a bit and there isn't much that can just take on the Krab. Though, full disclosure, this has all just been theorymoning on my part, I haven't actually used Krabby yet, but it does seem pretty solid. I'd prob put it in B- for now.

Totodile is a mon I do have some experience with, though mostly on garbage set-up spam HO (which is actually super fun), but anyway, Totodile should definitely be ranked as it is quite strong, especially after a boost, and it's ability to get past, or at least weaken would-be water checks cannot be overlooked. The major downside of Totodile is that against offence, it's reliance on Life Orb makes it difficult to find set-up opportunities. Good mon though, would probably say B+ or so.

Also want to call for a Joltik raise to like B, because Life Orb is fanstastic. And Tik's type coverage via its STAB + Giga Drain often hit upwards of 4/6 mons on a team Super Effectively. Agility allows Joltik to just run through offence, should it get a set-up opportunity and Joltik's natural bulk isn't so terrible that it can be revenged easily via priority. Against the more stall based teams, is where Joltik begins to struggle though as it just doesn't have to power to bust through things like Lickitung on it own without like multiple SpDef drops via Bug Buzz. Coverage-wise, it's still super threatening to a lot of the mons used on stall, but again actually busting through the higher end bulk is too much for the little guy.

Oh and before we all forget just put Lileep in like A+, it's still as good as ever. Doesn't exactly like dying and can pose a decent offensive threat at the same time.
And since Pump-Super is back, replace large with it.
No thoughts yet on Anorith.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LC Leader
Why is Treecko unranked? It has great matchup versus almost every bulky pokemon in the tier but the poison types, which can be easily trapped by newcomer goth. It has more than enough bulk to set up on something like Minccino. Where Treecko really excels though is abusing choice locked pokemon, which are on most teams, giving it a turn to set up. Granted, they can switch out and send in the counter, but this just weakens that pokemon and in cases where Treecko switched into a Snover's Giga Drain / Binacle Razor Shell / Whatever meaning it will have 28 Speed and have a turn to set up a SD. Treecko is at least somewhere in the C rank because it has recovery in Drain Punch and type matchup vs Hippo / Slowpoke / Frillish / Shellos and the ability to beat Lileep 1v1 (Toxic Lileep is problematic but rare). Pumpkaboo can win 1v1 if Berry Juice is not burnt however, and Poison-types all counter Treecko though notably they lack great recovery options. This means that Treecko can, through either attacking every time it comes in until Ekans / Koffing / Trubbish are dead or simply trap or otherwise remove these counters. Decent fun pokemon to slap on teams that have offensive pressure especially since Treecko can somewhat counter Sand and Stall in one pokemon and is marginally threatening when switching into attacks that pop BJ. Notably, Meowth hinders Treecko, the lack of things Treecko can set up on vs Offense, and the fact that it cannot insta-win vs stall makes Treecko notably flawed. However Treecko is comparable to Cubone and Krabby and not objectively worse nor better than either--they excel on different teams vs different teams--so logically should be ranked somewhere around them.

tl;dr: Treecko isn't bad.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Changes

Krabby to B
Totodile to B
Treecko to B

These all need a turn to set up before they are devastating. I've put them in B for now, if they show to be better than projected they'll move accordingly.

Lileep to A+
Pumpkaboo-S to A+
Anorith to A-
Gothita to A+

Lileep's godlike and isnt going anywhere. PumpLarge was replaced with its' better counterpart. Anorith has a lot of niche things it can do but it's typing is p awk. So A- it goes. Goth is a trapper and plays with stall by handing out free Scarves / Specs (if you're into that) and helps punch holes in teams by picking off weakened members.

Agree / Disagree ? Please discuss below!

edit: oh i put Joltik in B bc Joltage literally only runs Joltik so i know he isnt bsing me when he says anything about it

Last edited:
I did like to suggest pumpkaboo-Small for B+
Nicely complements offencive teams in terms of coverage I have found no other poke capable off:
228+ Atk Life Orb Pumpkaboo-Small Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 116 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Sandshrew: 24-30 (104.3 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
228+ Atk Life Orb Pumpkaboo-Small Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 116 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Slowpoke: 24-30 (88.8 - 111.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
228+ Atk Life Orb Pumpkaboo-Small Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 236 HP / 116+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 24-30 (96 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
228+ Atk Life Orb Pumpkaboo-Small Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 212 HP / 212+ Def Eviolite Hippopotas: 24-30 (92.3 - 115.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
-1 228+ Atk Life Orb Pumpkaboo-Small Rock Slide vs. 236 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Growlithe: 10-13 (40 - 52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Possitives in wallbreaking and coverage combined with decent priority in form of STAB shadowsneak, even when the move misses out on a shit load of important KO's including Gothita even with SR and Offencive Natu. Also nice utility with Destiny bond and Will-O.
The speed is a bit unfortunat and originally wanted me to nominate this for B+ as it suits all the other wallbreakers, however...
Flame Charge allowes it to get up a speed buf and chip in some cases nessesairy damage acting like just a Stealth rocks for your Bullet Seeds to pick up the KO.
Overall I did argue the poke to have slight lacks when it comes to damage output on one of it's STABS while the other is decent I guess? It's a prety powerfull pokemon just unfortunat it's so unable to block some pokemon effectively It should otherwhise aswell as less fortunat natural speed tier, hitting 16 Including nature.

I also did like let Flabebe and Togepi rise thanks to there utility as clerics, walls and lastly set up pokemon with the Nasty plot/Calm Mind set respectively. A rise to B/B-?
The reason why the last bit seemed so good was because of the pokemons coverage with just there STAB moves. Togepi can quickly set up but did be hitting with weak Dazzling Gleam at slow speed while Flabebe has slower set up with Calm Mind however has higher speed and Moonblast. They generally have few counters but many pokemon are effectively able to wallbreak reguardless of there type/defences.
The Cleric set's aren't bad, Togepi has Thunder wave, great defence but bit lacking HP, Support with Healbell aswell as multiple forms of recovery with SoftBoiled(gen3 aka not valid for Nast Plot), Morning Sun and lastly Wish as final way of supporting. While Flabebe has Aromatherapy and HealBell(so helpfull to have both :p), Wish and Synthesis.

Got nothing else to add on the rest of the viability rankings as they are now.
Exept the randome big sized icons for lileep, anorith and Totodile. O_o

PS: This thread could use some Max revives.

Last edited:
LC OU viability has no affect on LC UU viability. They are completely different metagames. That said, Trubbish ain't bad, specifically Levi's annoying curse amnesia thing has beaten me quite a bit on his stall teams. Granted that was before the tier shift that brought Gothita back to the tier which does significantly affect Trubbish's viability. Also, just realized that there is no C+ rank, so I'd say Trubbish is fine where it is.

On another note, Jac, can we get a minitour or something? Like yeah, I know the meta is pretty much dead, but I feel like people would play it more if they had a reason to. Or at least like run some roomtours or something. I know this probably isn't the place to ask, but it saves me a post in the other thread/finding you on PS and remembering to bring it up.

Sure Joltage

When I can get on I'll run a few, just I need people to be around and willing to play is the thing. And most of the time I'm on, most of you all are nowhere to be found. But yeah totally willing to host tours and shit for this.
Can I try to revive some discussion here?

1. I'd love a tour!!!
2. Onto a nom: Lotad. It can set rain for Mantyke. It can defeat some other Rain Abusers with Grass moves. It has bad stats. Can I suggest C-, maybe?
3. Yay, Flabebe!
4. I'll get some more noms, it just takes ages to play on the ladder :).

Anthiese

formerly Jac
Can I try to revive some discussion here?

1. I'd love a tour!!!
2. Onto a nom: Lotad. It can set rain for Mantyke. It can defeat some other Rain Abusers with Grass moves. It has bad stats. Can I suggest C-, maybe?
3. Yay, Flabebe!
4. I'll get some more noms, it just takes ages to play on the ladder :).
1. first lcpl needs to be over then i need to bother the tls asking for one but i would like to establish where the meta is going to go before i do a tour but at the same time a tour will help with that so lets let lcpl finish out first.
2.imma have to disagree unless you cna show me that lotad isnt outclassed by other things. there's lots of things in lcuu that can toss up rain adn abuse it and like most mantyke sets have rd on it already so that's a poor example. also lotad's subpar stats makes it hard to differenciate itself from other rain setters and abuser
3. Flabebe is p good i use it on most of my balance teams but toge is solid competition bc of toges larger moveset but it doesnt have the special bulk flabebe has.
4. If anything asking for matches is the easiest way to play. If you see me online and im not busy bother me for some, im always down to play LC UU.

Also while im at it, i'll update the OP edit: op is updated yas

Last edited:
1. first lcpl needs to be over then i need to bother the tls asking for one but i would like to establish where the meta is going to go before i do a tour but at the same time a tour will help with that so lets let lcpl finish out first.
2.imma have to disagree unless you cna show me that lotad isnt outclassed by other things. there's lots of things in lcuu that can toss up rain adn abuse it and like most mantyke sets have rd on it already so that's a poor example. also lotad's subpar stats makes it hard to differenciate itself from other rain setters and abuser
3. Flabebe is p good i use it on most of my balance teams but toge is solid competition bc of toges larger moveset but it doesnt have the special bulk flabebe has.
4. If anything asking for matches is the easiest way to play. If you see me online and im not busy bother me for some, im always down to play LC UU.

Also while im at it, i'll update the OP edit: op is updated yas
I've managed to get access to a damage calc, so I can show the real reason for my nom:

List of things Lotad DOESN'T have a chance to 2HKO in LC UU (before rocks, too. Most things are comfortably defeated after them):

Duskull
Rest-Talk Mantyke
Munna
Eviolite Snover
Tank Lileep

In rain with rocks, all but Mantyke and Snover have a 2HKO chance. Pretty cool, eh :).

It can set rain for Mantyke and save it a turn. Also, it can run a sub-seed set, which is pretty cool though I've used very little of it.

Also, by my Flabebe comment, its cause I'm writing its analysis for LC OU ;).

Anthiese

formerly Jac
If anything, saving Mantyke a turn isnt enough reason for me. Mantyke will commonly run Rain Dance because it can come in on a multitude of threats and laugh at their attempts to hurt it and set up on it's own. It really doesnt need outside support. Lotad lacks the bulk to consistantly support Mantyke in a longer match where Mantyke can just run RD itself and save Lotad a little trouble.

That being said could i get some calc's for these sets? I find it difficult to believe that Munna and Duskull survives things if Frillish and Tentacool dont.

A Lotad which is running the analysis set, or HP Electric potentially over Ice Beam as I feel it beats more of its checks (Mantyke):

196+ SpA Life Orb Lotad Giga Drain vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Frillish: 16-18 (64 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tentacruel isn't as good tho...

196+ SpA Life Orb Lotad Giga Drain vs. 196 HP / 196+ SpD Tentacool: 9-12 (39.1 - 52.1%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

also:

196+ SpA Life Orb Lotad Surf vs. 196 HP / 116+ SpD Eviolite Duskull in Rain: 9-13 (42.8 - 61.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
196+ SpA Life Orb Lotad Giga Drain vs. 116 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Slowpoke: 18-23 (66.6 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It OHKOs Doduo and Taillow after rocks with either coverage and is likely to KO Riolu too but I accidentally deleted the calcs, sooo.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
rip Frillish

also who is running BJ Tentacool?
196+ SpA Life Orb Lotad Hidden Power Electric vs. 196 HP / 196+ SpD Eviolite Tentacool: 8-10 (34.7 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Tentacool Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lotad: 20-26 (105.2 - 136.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO rip Lotad

also you said that Lotad cant 2HKO Duskull yet you calc'd it 2HKOing...

What is Munna even runnng EV wise to avoid the 2HKO?

also it OHKOing birbs is to be expected. They are really really frail.

I guess i can see it being C or B- but i feel like it wants some team support which would hamper it's overall usefulness.

rip Frillish

also who is running BJ Tentacool?
196+ SpA Life Orb Lotad Hidden Power Electric vs. 196 HP / 196+ SpD Eviolite Tentacool: 8-10 (34.7 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Tentacool Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lotad: 20-26 (105.2 - 136.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO rip Lotad

also you said that Lotad cant 2HKO Duskull yet you calc'd it 2HKOing...

What is Munna even runnng EV wise to avoid the 2HKO?

also it OHKOing birbs is to be expected. They are really really frail.

I guess i can see it being C or B- but i feel like it wants some team support which would hamper it's overall usefulness.
Just to clear up, the Duskull had rain and rocks, which my previous ones had not. Other than that, I agree with your rankings.

Also, is there any chance of C-rank subranks?I could see Lotad in one of them ATM.

This thread could use some activity.

I did like to rank Wynaut for B or something around that area.
It's unforgivable Strengt to punish physical attackers with counter even on a powerful U-turn, ability to create set up bait for Tyrunt, Riolu and and punish the majority of Offensive teams mostly because they rely on momentum gainers + physical wallbreakers. Ghost types aren't common on these kind of offensive teams so I found this poke noteworthy. More defensive play styles can shit on it pretty well mostly because of how good Frillish/Pumpkaboo-S are at will-O stalling it and there are a couple of important mixed utility pokemon on all sorts of teams that run something to by pass it's utility.
I looked trough some calcs and it takes a hit from about any Pokemon exept Doduo/Darmanuka on the offensive department that I found notable enough and even that is 236 Atk Life Orb Doduo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 132+ Def Wynaut: 23-29 (79.3 - 100%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and
196 Atk Hustle Darumaka Flare Blitz vs. 236 HP / 132+ Def Wynaut: 25-30 (86.2 - 103.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
I am not sure why this isn't ranked but it's allowed on ladder.

I did also like to rank Axew for C-.
Axew has few unique traits in the Moldbreaker ability + Superpower/Dragon Stab to 1HKO Aron, Tyrunt and Geodude.Access to Poison Jab to beat Togepi/Flabebe without having to rely the horrible Iron Tail accuracy. Access to Swords Dance and Dragon dance and the 18/19 attack combined with 15/16 speed. It's bulk actually gives it the utility of balance breaking with just a single Dragon dance and wallbreaking with the Swords Dance set. The dragon dance set sees rough competition from Tyrunt to as that can set up allot more reliably(Even Eviolite Tyrunt can work in this meta), not the biggest fan of Dragon Dance Dratini but it also doesn't miss out on anything from running it.
Just some calcs to provide it's use.
Unboosted/Neutral:
220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Doduo: 21-25 (110.5 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Outrage vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Taillow: 25-31 (119 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
220+ Atk Mold Breaker Axew Poison Jab vs. 236 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Togepi: 10-14 (43.4 - 60.8%) -- 88.7% chance to 2HKO
220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Outrage vs. 228 HP / 132+ Def Eviolite Shellos: 12-15 (44.4 - 55.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rockk
-1 220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Superpower vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Sandile: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
-1 220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Outrage vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Sandile: 9-12 (42.8 - 57.1%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Outrage vs. 116 HP / 116+ Def Eviolite Rufflet: 12-15 (48 - 60%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO

DD:
+1 220+ Atk Mold Breaker Axew Outrage vs. 116 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Riolu: 24-28 (109 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 220+ Atk Mold Breaker Axew Poison Jab vs. 164 HP / 204+ Def Flabebe: 22-28 (95.6 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Superpower vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Sandile: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

SD:
Pump:
+2 220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Outrage vs. 204 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pumpkaboo-Super: 22-27 (88 - 108%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Outrage vs. 204 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pumpkaboo-Super: 22-27 (88 - 108%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 220+ Atk Mold Breaker Axew Outrage vs. 204 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pumpkaboo-Super: 24-28 (96 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 220+ Atk Mold Breaker Axew Outrage vs. 204 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pumpkaboo-Super: 24-28 (96 - 112%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
(Frillish has the same calcs)
+2 220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Outrage vs. 236 HP / 116+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 22-27 (88 - 108%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Outrage vs. 228 HP / 132+ Def Eviolite Shellos: 22-27 (81.4 - 100%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 220+ Atk Mold Breaker Axew Outrage vs. 228 HP / 132+ Def Eviolite Shellos: 24-28 (88.8 - 103.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Superpower vs. 196 HP / 76+ Def Eviolite Lickitung: 26-32 (92.8 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+2 220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Superpower vs. 196 HP / 76+ Def Eviolite Lickitung: 26-32 (92.8 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 220+ Atk Mold Breaker Axew Superpower vs. 196 HP / 76+ Def Eviolite Lickitung: 28-34 (100 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

why only C-? Relies on Outrage to pick up important 2HKO/1HKO's even on god daim Taillow/Doduo. 16 speed would be so important against Riolu(Can't 1HKO with Copied Outrage however), Scarf Darumaka and reliably outspeeding Tyrunt so having Adamant isn't all that good. It also relies on SR support or Knock Off(Didn't bother calcing tho they would help) support to bring the opponents in range for Dragon Dance.
Encored by Purloin, Will-O stalled by Growlithe, some things it did like to set up on can paralyze it(Helioptile for example) or put it in range for a faster pokemon like Doduo to pick the kill if it's not running Dragon Dance. Sandshrew/Slowpoke can also take a hit and potentially cripple it with Knock Off/Scald.

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hey I was updating the Doubles UU thread and noticed that LC UU is a thing so figured I'd drop by here to check it out. Since the updates hadn't been posted here yet...

Out of the 5 drops, three are already in LC BL, so Hippopotas and Torchic have joined the tier! I'm guessing both are going to be pretty good, since Hippo brings sand for Sandshrew to go to town and Torchic is generally strong and has Speed Boost to get around the fast birdspam. Then again, I also haven't played this meta yet so I could be wrong.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
I'll make changes when I can touch my computer thanks for your patience uwu;

edit 1

ew dour, skrelp, and cham are back but rip they arent getting freed

imma put chic and hippo back in a+ sound good?

edit 2

axew's in b already so zzz

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)