(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

3. Opponents in the elite four with sturdy, it makes grinding for XP a lot longer because it shows sturdy, the they use full restores on they
I've seen a few people complain about this and too a lesser extent previous Elite 4s and I don't see the issue. The Elite 4 is supposed to be a test of skill, so using good abilities such as Sturdy or using items seems perfectly reasonable to me. No one is forcing you to grind at the Elite 4, most games offer you an alternative grinding spot (especially the 3DS games). In Sun and Moon in particular since trainer bonus EXP was removed (which is a very annoying change but that's for another time) you can train on the area before the Battle Tree (I don't remember the name off the top of my head). Elite 4s were never designed to be convenient grinding spots but an actual test of skill that you have to use all your knowledge that you have gained through your journey to master, it really is never going to be the perfect grinding spot.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
i mean of course i can breed a good popplio but my man ex-seal-lent has been on my journey to complete the dex since day one. there's no comparative sentimental value in a mon i spent 30 minutes to breed.
Oh I agree. That's why I think picking the starter shouldn't be accompanied by such a long delay before you can check the summary; it would make it easier to SR a certain nature for those who care about it (unless you want a certain natured female, in which case you'll probably have to sacrifice your first born regardless).

Probably because the quotes say "fat [username]" and it hit right in the feels, just speculating.
Could always just imagine it being short for "father", since the quoted post is starting a chain topic. That's how I see it anyway, even if it's a running joke.

Could always just imagine it being short for "father", since the quoted post is starting a chain topic. That's how I see it anyway, even if it's a running joke.
I've always wondered about the "fat" thing but it never bothered me too much. Never thought about it that way, though. Nor have I seen someone so vehemently against it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Alugia7:
Z-Animations: I'm hoping next game they tune those down. I'm alright with the move itself (though I don't need the constant camera switching that just shows a Pokemon standing there so those can be shorten) but I don't really need my trainer do a little dance. Showing them make a gesture & pose is fine enough (and less embarrassing). Also, as Kanburi said, when you turn off battle animations that should also include them.

Pelago Patience: Yeah, I do find doing some stuff on Poke Pelago takes longer then it really needs. I don't need Mohn to talk with me every time.

Bank Fee: Are you complaining about the fee or about the people who don't want to pay it? The fee is perfectly fine, but for those who just want to transfer their Pokemon, a feature that was free in previous gens, I have a problem with it their. That's why I think they should offer a free month at the beginning of each new gen, plenty of enough time for players who just want to transfer their Pokemon to transfer their Pokemon. I also worry one day they're gonna make it so you can't send a Pokemon from older gens to the Poke Bank thus causing a generation lockout.

Trade For Evolve: Yeah, for Pokemon that need an item to evolve while being traded I agree its annoying (also if you don't have a reliable internet connection). I do kind of wish they had an alternate method, they could make it a bit more of a bother to do but you can do it single player.

Quote Me Not: I can understand if it hit a nerve with you, but know the "fat" thing in the quote isn't aimed at you or the most of us. Not sure why myself, but I'm pretty sure its an in-joke. Trust me, I don't even see it anymore as my eyes go directly to the name of the one being quoted as I'm sure is the case with everyone else.

something i really hate is how natures affect competitive play. like currently my starter primarina is level 94 because of how much i grinded mons for the dex, but it's careful (+spdef, -spatk) so even if i bottle capped it, it would still be unusable. seems dumb to me.
Well since they're willing to let us affect IVs I wonder if they could also let us change either the Nature or affect of the Nature in the future.

It would also go a long way if they did away with the exaggerated cutscenes that you have to sit through to collect your starter and view its summary. It seems like it's becoming a trend in the newer games, and it makes SRing for a particular nature or female starter a big time consumer. Double-whammy if you try to go for a shiny starter as well.
Eh, I hate it when they have a cutscene before and/or after catching the mascot Legendary. Is it too much to ask to give me a small segment of gameplay before choosing/the battle so I can save and then afterwards to check it stats? Or, if you want to make it cinematic, have them have good Nature and IV. Because the impact of cinematic is kind of lost when I get Natures/IVs I don't like and so reset it, having to watch the cutscenes again.

I love Ampharos but hate almost everything about his Mega Evolution. Its body barely looks different besides the hair. It doesn't really make it look more like a dragon and the type change is more helpful than hurtful. Its new ability barely helps it at all (almost everything with an electric absorbing ability already resists it). It gets slower. The big special attack boost and good bulk are nice but it has nothing else going for it for me.

Bank Fee: Are you complaining about the fee or about the people who don't want to pay it? The fee is perfectly fine, but for those who just want to transfer their Pokemon, a feature that was free in previous gens, I have a problem with it their. That's why I think they should offer a free month at the beginning of each new gen, plenty of enough time for players who just want to transfer their Pokemon to transfer their Pokemon. I also worry one day they're gonna make it so you can't send a Pokemon from older gens to the Poke Bank thus causing a generation lockout.
It sounds like Alugia7 is unable to get access to Poké Bank because he/she is yet to be financially independent and his/her parents are unwilling to pay the fee for it. I'm not sure how I feel about the free month thing. It would greatly benefit me, since I really only use it to grab Pokémon from previous generations (and I'm sure for a lot of other players), it would essentially defeat the purpose of having a fee in the first place. So few people would then pay the extra money for a year's subscription.

Pelago Patience: Yeah, I do find doing some stuff on Poke Pelago takes longer then it really needs. I don't need Mohn to talk with me every time.
While I agree that it's excessive, and that parts of the Poke Pelago are a waste of space (Isle Avue is a complete waste of space since it's slow and its functions are better served by actively completing tasks. Isle Evelup's function to level up Pokemon is pretty much a waste, beacuse again, it doesn't level up Pokemon at a fast enough rate to counterbalance doing it yourself. Isle Abeens function to get wild Pokemon is a waste aswell beacuse it doesn't really accomplish anything that you couldn't do yourself in a fraction of the time instead of waiting for RNG to kick in.), I actually do not mind the long cutscenes for entering and exiting actions. This is mostly beacuse I can work on other things while the Poke Pelago is doing my work for me, primarily getting EV's onto my Pokemon. Sure, I could try and work with the stupidly annoying S.O.S. chaining mechanics to get EV's on my Pokemon, but that's time I'd rather use to be breeding more Pokemon, or SRing the plethora of Events and Legends I have waiting. So, I really don't mind spending a few extra seconds so that something else can do my work for me.

Uh.... yay? I've got PokeBank free for a month! Oh wait, they haven't updated it yet for this Gen. Crud.
:P
PokeBank is notorious for being really slow to update, though they've sped up in recent updates. However, I just don't see them getting Gen updates ready for the first month of every Gen. So perhaps "for the first month, after PokeBank has been updated for the current Gen"? Still, PokeBank does serve as a great function to back up your Pokemon (I store copies of all my Pokes in by PokeBank, just in case something happens to my cart). Sure, it's sort of a micro transaction, but for all you get out of it, it's kind of more than worth the cost it takes to keep it running.

Still, can they have the Extreme Speed Zigzagoon Egg given away for PokeBank like they did for Pokemon Box? Please...... (´;ω;`) show the Zigzagoon line some love...

Trade For Evolve: Yeah, for Pokemon that need an item to evolve while being traded I agree its annoying (also if you don't have a reliable internet connection). I do kind of wish they had an alternate method, they could make it a bit more of a bother to do but you can do it single player.
I do think that kind of goes against the "spirit" if you will of Pokemon. That you can't go it alone, you need to work with friends (or have a big wallet?) to "Catch Them All" if you will. Sure, it might be difficult for us nubs without any friends, or those without a stable internet connection, but I think there's more joy in interacting with others to some degree, than just staying in a tiny bubble and doing everything yourself.

Isle Evelup's function to level up Pokemon is pretty much a waste, beacuse again, it doesn't level up Pokemon at a fast enough rate to counterbalance doing it yourself.
If you are using Isle Evelup to train Pokemon when you have enough free time to do it the old-fashioned way, you are doing it wrong.

It's meant to be used when you don't have time to train them.

If you are using Isle Evelup to train Pokemon when you have enough free time to do it the old-fashioned way, you are doing it wrong.

It's meant to be used when you don't have time to train them.
Each session of 30 Mins can net you ~300 Experience (At Lvl 3). With Beans, you can half that to ~300 Exp for 15 Mins. The Poke Pelago lets you do a max of 99 Sessions before you have to manually restart it.

So...

(99)x(~300) = ~29700 Exp Per 99 Sessions, which takes with Beans (((99)x(15))/60) = 24.75 Hours. Brilliant.

So then, how does that translate to an actual Pokemon. I'm going to use my Darmanitan for an example, since that's what I'm working on now, but of course that depends on the Pokemon (He's a medium-slow-ish exp grower). To go from Level 49-50 (the Min level for a viable competitive Pokemon), he needs 7,437 Exp. Not bad, he'll get more than 1 level out of doing this. So what about the next levels. 50-51 = 7,766 Exp. 51-52 = 8,103, 52-53 = 8,448. At this point, he's gone over the exp he'd get from doing this training. So he's getting 3 levels (almost 4) for sitting on his bum for ~25 hours. Not bad. But then, lets look at how what would happen if I did the physical work of leveling him up via battling.

Arguably, the Poni Gauntlet is the best location to level up Pokemon. Lets take for example one of the most common Pokes there, Pelipper. Defeating a level 58 Pelipper there (more or less the average level), will net me ~2000 Base Exp. Assuming I'm using the Exp Share along with the Luck Egg, he'll be getting 75% of the Exp., or ~1500 Exp per battle. Assuming you're using a Pokemon that can 0HKO everything at Poni Gauntlet, and that for some odd reason, you're very slow and only defeating Pokemon at a rate of 1 Per Minute,...

(29700)/(~1500) = ~19.8 Battles. In other words, in takes me about ~20 Minutes to do what it took Isle Evelup to do in 25 Hours. Of course, there are many factors that go into calculating how much and how fast a Pokemon grows, but in every scenario unless you're trying to do this while comatose, you're going to be far faster than Isle Evelup in regards to leveling conventionally.

Sure, if you're going to say, stop playing Pokemon for a couple of days, then maybe you'll get more use out of it. Furthermore, Isle Evelup can do 18 Pokemon at once, while you can only realistically do 5 at once. But...

(20)x(4) = 4/3rds of an hour (you would need to do 4 sessions to do a total of 18 Pokemon, but you could just also go to 20), to do what Isle Evelup can do in 25 Hours. Still not really worth the effort. And who actually is working on 18 Pokemon at once?! At most, I'm working on 6-8, and usually I'm working on 4.

While the Isle Evelup level up function can work if you really don't have time for anything other than the bare necessities, more often than not if you have a fraction of time, you'd be better off just doing it the old fashioned way.

I love Ampharos but hate almost everything about his Mega Evolution. Its body barely looks different besides the hair. It doesn't really make it look more like a dragon and the type change is more helpful than hurtful. Its new ability barely helps it at all (almost everything with an electric absorbing ability already resists it). It gets slower. The big special attack boost and good bulk are nice but it has nothing else going for it for me.

Of course this is your opinion, but I quite like Mega Ampharos. The hair thing is apparently supposed to be reminiscent of Chinese dragon manes. According to the Han dynasty scholar Wang Fu, Chinese dragons had "a thing like a broad eminence (a big lump), called [chimu] (尺木). If a dragon has no [chimu], he cannot ascend to the sky." If you're telling me that that hair isn't a broad eminence, you're blind (plus, the pearl things in the hair are an homage to the pearls in a dragon's chin). The type-change isn't entirely hurtful. While Mega Ampharos picks up three more weaknesses, it can always Volt Switch out of them (there are no Fairy-types that are immune to Electric). Plus, outside of Kyurem (who doesn't like eating Dragon Pulses) and Mamoswine, Ice-types aren't really relevant. Most Ground-types don't really appreciate a Dragon Pulse to the face either. Mold Breaker does more than beat Volt Absorb. Useful abilities that are overriden include Sturdy, Multiscale, Solid Rock and variants, Disguise (fuck you Mimikyu), etc. Mega Ampharos also gains a great resistance to Fire, Water, and Grass in addition to its Steel resistance, giving it more opportunities to switch in. Also, its slow speed can actually be a boon for Volt Switch, as it means you always go last and whatever you switch-in won't get hit by an attack, which is nice for frail Pokemon like Lucario or Crawdaunt. Mega Ampharos generally has the bulk to take most attacks anyways.

I guess Levitate would be nice, but even so...

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've always wondered about the "fat" thing but it never bothered me too much. Never thought about it that way, though. Nor have I seen someone so vehemently against it.
The FAQ is there to help!

Smogon FAQ said:
Q: What does "fat" in a quote mean?
Don't worry, the forum is not mocking you when it does this! It simply is adding the "fat" because of an old joke in which the quote box was changed to say fat, and it just kind of stuck. This naturally happens, no matter the quote, and there is no need to put any additional tagging to add it. This also means that this is unable to be removed, but don't let it bug you too much!
So yes, old in-joke, hardcoded so it can't be removed, not meant to be offensive. I'm not sure if the implicit message "deal with it" is a rule, per se, but it stands to reason one should learn to tolerate it or go have fun elsewhere.

Taistelu
People are probably complaining about the elite four animations because it makes it less efficient the bewear SOS.
Pikachu315111
The excess talking is SO annoying, I just stopped using it for pokemon/farms/money due to the excess talking. Then the Charizard animation that is there to annoy people who accidentally click on poke pelego.

And then there is the SUPER annoying dances, why cant they make it like ORAS?\

One more annoying think is that you can not reject a trade that went thorugh (time to release hacked pokemon(shiny tapu koko)) :(

8. Being unable to change nicknames from over the GTS
I've said this before, but I wish you could rename traded Pokemon that don't already have them, because I nickname all the Pokemon I personally use and it drives me crazy.

I also worry one day they're gonna make it so you can't send a Pokemon from older gens to the Poke Bank thus causing a generation lockout.
I'm pretty sure the entire point of the bank is to not have to do that (also so they don't need to keep coming up with convoluted ways to transfer between generations).

I've said this before, but I wish you could rename traded Pokemon that don't already have them, because I nickname all the Pokemon I personally use and it drives me crazy.
Nooooooo don't quote!!!! But yeah I don't understand why nicknames stick. I never use nicknames, and especially for a new game like SuMo, when I'm trying to learn the names of new species, in-game trades with already nicknamed Pokemon don't help at all (e.g. Bouncee for the Bounsweet on Route 5).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Then they should use Bewear. The Elite 4 was, is and never will be designed for an easy grinding session.
Doesn't stop it from being the only decent source of Exp. in a number of historical games, though. Gen I-III, for instance. I guess Bewear hunting is more rewarding than grinding the Elite Four in SM, but it still is tedious and feels unrewarding. Especially when you recall how the past, oh, ten games or so have had better grinding methods than it.

Doesn't stop it from being the only decent source of Exp. in a number of historical games, though. Gen I-III, for instance. I guess Bewear hunting is more rewarding than grinding the Elite Four in SM, but it still is tedious and feels unrewarding. Especially when you recall how the past, oh, ten games or so have had better grinding methods than it.
To be fair, it has generally improved over time. XY and ORAS in particular having very good grinding locations, and BW2 had a fair few postgame areas too. I always thought that in Gen I-III*, they didn't really think of post game grinding to be that relevant, since there wasn't really any (major) competitive communities out at the time, so it is excusable. And while in Gen IV/V the E4 might still have been the best source of EXP there were at least other areas where one could go.

*E: Forgot about grinding for Red...yeah they could've added something more to ease that process

Last edited:
I personally still use the Elite Four in SM to grind experience as, even if there's no training bonus, you are guaranteed to battle Pokemon that cannot evolve, whereas in Poni Gauntlet there are still some Pokemon that give low experience, and Bewear is not too common.

And I've used the Elite Four for experience grinding in all games. Perhaps it's just tradition to me? Getting too used to it I don't consider other possibilities?

Fair point about gens 1 and 3, but 2 is a nightmare if you want to fight Red at least.
Oh yeah, I remember my first time fighting Red in the Gen 2 Remakes in Gen 4. Such a disaster, at best I could grind my Pokes to ~Lvl 60. Not enough to even come close to beating Red.

So my strategy was simple: Keep exploding and reviving. I had a Lvl 100 Voltorb (Not and Electrode mind you, a Lvl 100 Voltorb I had gotten in Pokemon Platinum off the GTS), and I just kept using Explosion. Then, I would switch into something else, use that pokemon as a suicide while I revived my Voltorb, the just kept repeating that XD. Barely won, on my last Max Revive, but I won somehow. :P

I should have also added that the Z-moves do not need a painfully loud, high-pitched communication sound (for that useless Z-ring accessory that nobody buys)

Random Passerby

I hate the long z-move animations to (and the way too obvious communications sounds). It would be nice if you did not have to see the silly dance thing EVERY TIME (Like in OrAs, where it only shows your trainer in the mega animations once per session, or never in gen 7)

I don't remember having to do a ton of grinding for Red in Silver but I might be misremembering. I know when I beat him I had a 65 Jynx, 63 Ampharos, 60 Typhlosion, 2 Pokémon around 55 (can't remember which) and a 43 Pupitar. I barely ended up beating him with only Pupitar left finishing off his Snorlax.

I don't remember having to do a ton of grinding for Red in Silver but I might be misremembering. I know when I beat him I had a 65 Jynx, 63 Ampharos, 60 Typhlosion, 2 Pokémon around 55 (can't remember which) and a 43 Pupitar. I barely ended up beating him with only Pupitar left finishing off his Snorlax.
You can typically beat Red (like most trainers) with heavy item spam at lower levels to be fair, but this is the same game which combines (one of) the highest levels with the awful level curve, so it might be misremembering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 9)