(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I think the fact that the nickname screen ALWAYS comes up is annoying (you will understand it once you hatch 2.8k+ eggs)
It defs is, but after awhile you just get used to it and it becomes part of your click routine for egg hatching. Agreed that it is annoying tho.

It defs is, but after awhile you just get used to it and it becomes part of your click routine for egg hatching. Agreed that it is annoying tho.
Speaking of egg hatching, I'd rather they automatically send any eggs to my PC rather than making me stop and talk to the girl every single time. I guess that would over-simplify everything though.

Speaking of egg hatching, I'd rather they automatically send any eggs to my PC rather than making me stop and talk to the girl every single time. I guess that would over-simplify everything though.
That would also ruin some good Hacks in shiny breeding and mechanics around it.

Half this, half Facepalm-worthy moment.

The fact that Rock Head Cubone does NOT evolve into Rock Head Alolan Marowak.

I had bred a Brave Marowak for the Tiny Tourney twice, wondering why they kept ending up with Cursed Body, before remembering this.

I was chaining Cubone with my Gallade and thought I was done when I found one with Rock Head. Nope. I had to look for Battle Armor.

Last edited:
I am still annoyed that there is no 100% Synchronize. I hope GF expances the options menu so we can decide if we want to get asked if we want to nickname our Pokemon or not. If we don't want to nickname them, then they could use activate a multihatchfunction so we don't have to wait for an egg to hatch one at the time.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I am still annoyed that there is no 100% Synchronize. I hope GF expances the options menu so we can decide if we want to get asked if we want to nickname our Pokemon or not. If we don't want to nickname them, then they could use activate a multihatchfunction so we don't have to wait for an egg to hatch one at the time.
Considering that they haven't yet implemented a function for setting the Pokédex measurements to Metric, I wouldn't count on them doing anything like that soon.

Speaking of eggs... what I wouldn't give for an Eggnalyzer item...

I am still annoyed that there is no 100% Synchronize.
Speaking of Synchronize, I'm still miffed that Synch doesn't work with Pokemon received from Mystery Gift. It works on every other gift Pokemon so why not that as well.

I'm also annoyed by the fact that Fairy type as a whole has only one physical move and it has inaccuracy problems. Granted 90% acc isn't too terrible, but why couldn't they make it 100% if that going to be the only physical fairy move for a while. The fact that Tapu Bulu & Koko don't learn it also grind my gears.

that is true, the syncronise not working on mysterey gift just wastes hours, but is nowhere near as bad as the unnesesary animations in breeding (takes so long to remove a pokemon from the daycare, nickname screen, the stupid miltank...)

(True Gen 1 story)

*In Safari Zone*
"A wild CHANSEY appeared!"
"Finally, a Chansey!"
*Throws Safari Ball*
*3 Spins, no trolling*
"YES! I ca-"
"The PC Slot is full!"
"kill me"
And also the many glitches. And the ABCD Escape Rope thing that left my 10 year old brain confused for many, MANY years.

And for Gen 2, tracking down the legendary dogs. And with how slow the game is, it just makes it more tedious. You're better off without them anyways.

In Gen 3, the rivals weren't really.. Rivals. An asthmatic, shy, kid, some girl/boy who sucks up to you.. yeah, i'm no Genwunner, but that just defeats the meaning of a "rival".

In Gen 4, that god damn lady who traded you a Haunter if you had a Medichamp. Fair, right? Especially since you're getting a Gengar. Well, the thing is, the Haunter was holding a god damn EVERSTONE!!!!!! *internally screaming*

And i never played Gen 5 and up.

(True Gen 1 story)

*In Safari Zone*
"A wild CHANSEY appeared!"
"Finally, a Chansey!"
*Throws Safari Ball*
*3 Spins, no trolling*
"YES! I ca-"
"The PC Slot is full!"
"kill me"
I don't think that's possible. If your Box is full, you are not allowed to throw any Balls. "The PC is full" message will display each time you try that. I remember this because I went deep into the Seafoam Islands and is about to catch Articuno but it doesn't let me throw any Balls.

And the ABCD Escape Rope thing that left my 10 year old brain confused for many, MANY years.
I don't know what you're talking about here.

Oh god this. Why can't Victini learn this move normally (or at least via Heart Scale)? This move was made for this thing.

inb4 someone brings up Rayquaza learning it
I think the idea was to make the eventual event Victini that got it even more special, since the first Victini you could get (caught in Liberty Garden) didn't have it. Still dumb as bricks and should have been made a level-up move by BW2 or Gen 6.

I think the idea was to make the eventual event Victini that got it even more special, since the first Victini you could get (caught in Liberty Garden) didn't have it. Still dumb as bricks and should have been made a level-up move by BW2 or Gen 6.
... yet they inserted other unique signature moves to other Pokemon. *looks at early Gen6 Entei and that Maison girl*

Yeah, pretty much. It is somewhat mildly cheapening to have some unique moves given to others. At least Night Daze on Lunala makes perfect sense, but Water Shuriken to some bug just because they're ninja too?

I don't think that's possible. If your Box is full, you are not allowed to throw any Balls. "The PC is full" message will display each time you try that. I remember this because I went deep into the Seafoam Islands and is about to catch Articuno but it doesn't let me throw any Balls.

I don't know what you're talking about here.
Oops. I guess i have some bad memory. My bad!
Still sucked finding a Pokémon with a 4% encounter rate and not being able to catch it.

Also, when you used Dig/Teleport/Escape Rope your character would turn into "ABCD".

Edit: Another thing that bugged me about Gen 1... In Yellow, evolving a Pikachu was pretty much impossible. Even if you caught one with the Mew Glitch, it would still refuse to evolve. Just because it was trying to stay faithful to the anime. :|

Last edited:
Edit: Another thing that bugged me about Gen 1... In Yellow, evolving a Pikachu was pretty much impossible. Even if you caught one with the Mew Glitch, it would still refuse to evolve. Just because it was trying to stay faithful to the anime. :|
Pikachu should've really gotten some sort of stat increase for Yellow, or at least the player's Pikachu. Anime Pikachu is pretty powerful, way stronger than a normal Pikachu. The lack of evolution is frustrating in Yellow, because of its poor performance once you get past the early game. Some boosts to offenses and defenses would go a long way. It doesn't need to be good, just feasible enough so that it can be used without being total dead weight especially toward the end of the game. We're prevented from using Raichu, which is in every catagory relevant better than Pikachu. Game Freak could've atleast tried to make the game more favourible toward Pikachu, even if they wanted Raichu to still be better (which if they were staying truly anime faithful they wouldn't keep Raichu better anyway).

Trying to be faithful toward the anime is not an excuse to leave players stuck with a sub par Pokemon as their starter for their journey. Every other starter, no matter how bad it may be (Snivy) is at least usable to a certain degree.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*Sigh* This isn't as much about the franchise itself but more about the fanbase; a certain thing that often appears on wishlists that, at least to me, doesn't seem to take into account why it happened the one time that it did and hasn't happened since: wanting to visit a previous region.

I guarantee you, if you watch/read a batch wishlists from Pokemon fans at least half if not more will have visiting a previous region be on there. Now, this alright as a wish that are in general/something they would want to see in a future game... but it really annoys me when I see people wishing for this even though we've learned a batch about a new region and it should be very obvious we won't be visiting a previous region.

It all starts, of course, with Gen II. Once you got done with Johto, surprise, you could visit Kanto. It was a nice bonus, but there was reasons for this. Kanto & Johto are next to each other and share a Pokemon League, their stories and characters have direct connections, and Gen II was originally called Pokemon 2 so was intended to be a direct sequel. Since the games were running off the same engine there was little extra work they needed to do aside compressing it enough to fit both regions on the cart (and in the case of HGSS, they were working off the originals so didn't have to come up with all the changes that would have happened over the years).

So let's move onto Gen III, based on a region that's far enough away from Kanto & Johto that what happened in those regions wouldn't affect Hoenn and vice versa. Still, people got upset they couldn't visit the previous regions. Rinse and repeat for Gens 4, 5, 6, and 7. Aside from the remakes, I think it's fairly clear the situation with Gen II was a special one.

Now I'm not saying this can't happen, but if it were to happen again the previous region would have to be close by and there would have to be some kind of story connection for the player to decide to visit it (that's why the Unova player just doesn't hop a plane and fly to Sinnoh: why would they?). The previous region (and all its changes) would need to be part of the newer region's story in order to justify spending precious development time they could have instead put in the new region to make it better in places. But no, all players who wish to visit a previous region in a new gen just seem to want to do so for the sake of it.

*Sigh* This isn't as much about the franchise itself but more about the fanbase; a certain thing that often appears on wishlists that, at least to me, doesn't seem to take into account why it happened the one time that it did and hasn't happened since: wanting to visit a previous region.

I guarantee you, if you watch/read a batch wishlists from Pokemon fans at least half if not more will have visiting a previous region be on there. Now, this alright as a wish that are in general/something they would want to see in a future game... but it really annoys me when I see people wishing for this even though we've learned a batch about a new region and it should be very obvious we won't be visiting a previous region.

It all starts, of course, with Gen II. Once you got done with Johto, surprise, you could visit Kanto. It was a nice bonus, but there was reasons for this. Kanto & Johto are next to each other and share a Pokemon League, their stories and characters have direct connections, and Gen II was originally called Pokemon 2 so was intended to be a direct sequel. Since the games were running off the same engine there was little extra work they needed to do aside compressing it enough to fit both regions on the cart (and in the case of HGSS, they were working off the originals so didn't have to come up with all the changes that would have happened over the years).

So let's move onto Gen III, based on a region that's far enough away from Kanto & Johto that what happened in those regions wouldn't affect Hoenn and vice versa. Still, people got upset they couldn't visit the previous regions. Rinse and repeat for Gens 4, 5, 6, and 7. Aside from the remakes, I think it's fairly clear the situation with Gen II was a special one.

Now I'm not saying this can't happen, but if it were to happen again the previous region would have to be close by and there would have to be some kind of story connection for the player to decide to visit it (that's why the Unova player just doesn't hop a plane and fly to Sinnoh: why would they?). The previous region (and all its changes) would need to be part of the newer region's story in order to justify spending precious development time they could have instead put in the new region to make it better in places. But no, all players who wish to visit a previous region in a new gen just seem to want to do so for the sake of it.
There's also the massive problem of the difficulty and level curves.

Alright, it could have been done better in Gen II and the remakes. Much, much better... but with only 100 levels to work with, you cannot put much content without hitting the level cap way too quickly.

It's not feasible. At all. At best two regions.

It's important to remember that each region is a tiny, tiny section of the world (assuming it's roughly the same size as normal Earth). The idea that, as I've seen suggested recently, it would make sense for someone from Alola to go to Kalos, opening it up as a second region, is pretty dubious. (Of course, in this case it's Game Freak's fault for creating just the same kind of unlikely connection to accommodate the stupid Zygarde thing.) What most bothers me is when people suggest a game that lets you "visit all the regions." All the regions? All the seven tiny, mostly unrelated regions of a massive world? Like that would be somehow complete?

I think it's also worth noting that Kanto was only able to be workable back in the day because it was downsized quite a bit -- massive sections of the game like Viridian Forest and the Power Plant were cut out and replaced by basically a few tiles while routes were shortened compared to how they were in RGBY. They were able to get the full experience and more in HGSS; but that's because that was a few consoles later and they were easily able to manage that much content as by that point Johto and Kanto were rather small. Can you imagine trying to get modern regions in the game today? Would it really be feasible to get something as big as Hoenn or Unova alongside Alola or Sinnoh? It'd be pretty meager and not anywhere near what you'd be wanting from that set-up, especially when Gen 7 is already pushing the 3DS' limits already -- Sun/Moon are some of the biggest games on the 3DS in terms of pure file size, only outdone by Bravely Default and Xenoblade 3D when I last checked.

I think, however, it could be easily viable on something as powerful as the Switch - and since a main game on the Switch has been confirmed, I don't think it'd be a terribly hard thing to ask in this case.

Half this, half Facepalm-worthy moment.

The fact that Rock Head Cubone does NOT evolve into Rock Head Alolan Marowak.

I had bred a Brave Marowak for the Tiny Tourney twice, wondering why they kept ending up with Cursed Body, before remembering this.

I was chaining Cubone with my Gallade and thought I was done when I found one with Rock Head. Nope. I had to look for Battle Armor.
I lost a Granbull in a Nuzlocke because I didn't know it lost Run Away when it evolved. I feel your pain.

GOD THIS. SO MUCH OF THIS

You can't even imagine how much I hate the discussion of the Second Region by this point

Relevant video

(TL;DW= In the top 5 worst things about Sun and Moon, the number one was "Not being able to go to another region"

Buuuuuuuuuuuullshiiit)

for fucks sake comparing every game to the standard set by johto is fuckin ridiculous. It's obvious theyre not doing it again without a special circumstance (as Johto was, being a sequel to RBY) so just shut the unholy fuck up about it already and focus on the games for what they are and not how they compare to something released 18 years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 6)