Little things you like about Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That all players that take part in the competitions will get the Mega Stones before everyone else.

If you want them early, you have to battle :P
Eh, that's alright, I'm sure my in-game team will do fine enough.

Incineroar: Say what now?
Me: Oh don't be like that, you guys do perfectly fine in the Battle Tree.
Mimickyu: Almost every match we have in the Battle Tree is a close call! And that's against AI.
Magnezone: Bzzt, we'd be slayed in competitive.
Me: Hey, ya just got to battle for me to get the Mega Stones, no one said anything about winning.
*My in-game team just glares at me*
Snorlax: I wish I was dex fodder so I could spend all my time at the Poke Pelago...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
You know how in ORAS using Nature Power in SPAAAAACE! turned into Draco Meteor?

Well they did it again in Sun & Moon with Ultra Space! So what exclusive move does your Pokemon get in Ultra Space? Psyshock. Okay, maybe not that impressive, but it makes sense. Ultra Space is a twisted place which messes with both body & mine and Psyshock is a Special move but damages Physical. Still, when compared to Space giving you Draco Meteor it is less impressive. I would have maybe made it into Psycho Boost.

Well they did it again in Sun & Moon with Ultra Space! So what exclusive move does your Pokemon get in Ultra Space? Psyshock. Okay, maybe not that impressive, but it makes sense. Ultra Space is a twisted place which messes with both body & mine and Psyshock is a Special move but damages Physical. Still, when compared to Space giving you Draco Meteor it is less impressive. I would have maybe made it into Psycho Boost.
I know what could have been better: Hyperspace Hole.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

In addition to this, the move Camouflage has a unique Ultra Space mechanic: It turns your Pokémon into the Psychic-type. In Space, it turns a Pokémon into Dragon-type.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
After thinking about it, I love the Typings Ultra Beasts have. Psychic feels like the easiest typing for making an Alien or Eldritch Pokemon, and judging by the effects of Nature Power and Camouflage in Ultra Space, Game Freak thought so too. Even though it's the easiest type for them, there's no Psychic UBs that we know of. I like that even though Grass feels like an earthy type there's not only a Grass Type UB (Kartana) but one that would probably be a Grass Type if they allowed Pokemon to have more than two types. (Celesteela) Even though they mostly stuck to unusual Typing which are easier for unusual Pokemon, they even made a Mono Type UB. (Xurkitree) I don't know if they meant it to happen or not, but it's also a nice touch that they made it so the only UB that's important to the story (Nihilego) is the only one with a Unique Typing.

I like that even though Grass feels like an earthy type there's not only a Grass Type UB (Kartana) but one that would probably be a Grass Type if they allowed Pokemon to have more than two types. (Celesteela)
I have the feeling Celesteela is not a Grass-type to enforce the fact it's an Ultra Beast. From our limited Pokemon world-biased point of view, Celesteela should be a Grass-type, but since it's an alien, it happens to not be the case.

If it weren't an Ultra Beast, I think it would have been Grass/Steel with Levitate a la Bronzong.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I have the feeling Celesteela is not a Grass-type to enforce the fact it's an Ultra Beast. From our limited Pokemon world-biased point of view, Celesteela should be a Grass-type, but since it's an alien, it happens to not be the case.
I was thinking it wasn't a Grass Type because it's more Flying and Steel (like a Rocket) than Grass. Like why Flygon has Levitate instead of a Flying Type.

Post Editing of Quoted Post Edit: It's definitely the weirdness reason.

Last edited:
I was thinking it wasn't a Grass Type because it's more Flying and Steel (like a Rocket) than Grass. Like why Flygon has Levitate instead of a Flying Type.
Oh, you replied right before I stopped adding that thing to my post :P

Why not Grass/Steel with Levitate? It also fits (if it weren't an Ultra Beast meaning no Beast Boost)

Solgaleo? Necrozma?
In-game there is a question of whether or not they are. What seems to set those apart from the Ultra Beasts is timing, as in Necrozma, Solgaleo, and Lunaala have been described as having been in "our" dimension for long periods of time, enough to have adapted more to it and having lost their Beast Boost abilities in favor of their new abilities.

In Gen VI we got Pokemon X and Y, with Xerneas and Yveltal as the mascots. Plenty of us expected a game where Zygarde would be the mascot and would show us its true power - said supposed game being "Pokemon Z".

However, that never happened and Gen VII arrived first...

... right?

Well, in Sun and Moon, not only Zygarde has a noticeable amount of focus (although not the kind nor the amount of focus we are used to) and shows us its true power... but we get the Z-Crystals as the shiny new mechanic.

So it did happen after all... but in a different way.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
In Gen VI we got Pokemon X and Y, with Xerneas and Yveltal as the mascots. Plenty of us expected a game where Zygarde would be the mascot and would show us its true power - said supposed game being "Pokemon Z".

However, that never happened and Gen VII arrived first...

... right?

Well, in Sun and Moon, not only Zygarde has a noticeable amount of focus (although not the kind nor the amount of focus we are used to) and shows us its true power... but we get the Z-Crystals as the shiny new mechanic.

So it did happen after all... but in a different way.
Shame Zygarde didn't get its own Z-Crystal, though I guess the new forms and signature moves make up for it.

I like how the status of Necrozma being an Ultra Beast or not is intentionally left open-ended and ambiguous. Everything is set up so that the question lingers in your mind rather than a clear-cut answer being given
I see Necrozma as being an Ultra Beast who crossed over into ancient times and its just been here for so long it adapted to our world, losing its Beast Boost and maybe strange typing.

Solgaleo and Lunala I think are a special case, they can travel between dimensions so who knows if they belong in either. Though it seems they may prefer to keep their young/reincarnate themselves in the normal Pokemon World probably since its safer, though we've only seen two examples of this so who really knows.

One thing I liked about Ultra Space is that they had the multiple Nihilego in a few scenes, really establishes that the Ultra Beasts only seem unique because they're the few cases that crossed into our world. It does make me wonder if the Ultra Beasts are also just stronger in our particular environment by happenstance and would be weaker than "normal" Pokemon in another alien dimension, sort of like how Superman is only stronger because of the Sun rather than Kryptonians being inherently stronger than humans.

Maybe Necrozma springs from that. It raises the question of how long it's been here for sure, but it also makes you wonder if it's from the same plain as the Ultra Beasts. It could be equally alien, but from a completely different plain, maybe one that's sort of a median between the two and why it's closer to a Pokemon than an Ultra Beast in how it appears. Or maybe Necrozma is part of a species that has been here so long that natural selection and proper evolution simply eroded the UB traits from its gene pool over several generations

Happy birthday to the franchise. However, didn't they celebrate it yesterday, since Japan's practically a day ahead?

Anyway, at least Pikachu is old enough to drink in the West.

Last edited:
In PKMN SM, if you go to the house next to the Berry Fields and talk to one of the Delibirds in there it'll grab something from its bag and give it to you. It sounds like the obvious thing to do, but the thought of interacting with those Delibirds never occurred to me, let alone that one of them would gift me something. I thought it was cute.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
In PKMN SM, if you go to the house next to the Berry Fields and talk to one of the Delibirds in there it'll grab something from its bag and give it to you. It sounds like the obvious thing to do, but the thought of interacting with those Delibirds never occurred to me, let alone that one of them would gift me something. I thought it was cute.
There's also the one with one of Kiawe's Magmar that gives you a Quick Ball, and then you wonder where it was keeping it. Both funny and makes you wonder where was it keeping it (and would you want to know)...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)