Little things you like about Pokémon

In some ways the earlier pokemon anime hasn't aged too well. With some exceptions (like the episode Fly Me to the Moon) I can't really go back with the same level of enjoyment I had as a little kid, unlike shows with more audience spanning pull like Gargoyles for example.

But then again I don't remember the early anime being this... SAVAGE. Better bring some burn heal, here's some highlights of Ash and crew roasting each other:

My favorite of the bunch.

Not really a burn, I just really like this episode (the Ditto one). Although the video cuts it off, Team Rocket reacting to the mistakes in the motto is pretty hilarious.

I know this only lasted for one episode before being dropped, but I rather liked snarky-pokedex. 19 years predating the Rotom-dex!

I'm honestly surprised something as wholesome and S&P influenced as 4Kids! media would slip these all in. And these are just the clips I could find!

Last edited:
Something that's not unique to Pokemon, but that I thought about because of Pokemon. I like how even if you are a fan of something and have been for a long time, there might still be small details regarding certain things that you only notice after a long time. For example, I recently learned that Roxie has freckles. I only got to know that thanks to reading Pokemon Adventures, the black/white colors in the manga make them very visible. They are visible in her official artwork and VS sprite in the games too, though they are a bit hard to see. I believe they are visible in the anime as well if you look close enough.

Another situation where this has happened is regarding Honchkrow's eyes. I have always been wondering how they actually look, and it wasn't until recently that I learned how they function, after I looked close at its model in the games. How they look have been visible in its artwork ever since it was first revealed, but I never thought about looking at them in detail earlier.

I like how, starting from Gen 6, the main series games have been released at the same (or almost the same) date across the world. No longer do we have to wait several months before the games are out in English, or (for us Europeans), wait for several more months after the US release. I remember 10 years ago, during the wait for D/P, that the US got the games in April while we in Europe had to wait until July. Thankfully, that is now just a memory which won't be repeated ever again. The extra days we had to wait for OR/AS and S/M were a little annoying though, but it was nowhere near as bad as the three months for D/P. I really hope all future games will have a true simultaneous release date like X/Y and US/UM.

I like how you can't get the event Magearna in S/M until you have beaten the game. Good to prevent people from plowing through the game with an overpowered legendary.

I also really like Magearna in general. One thing that happens for me sometimes is that I see the official art for a Pokemon and don't think much about it, then change my mind when I see it in the games. That was the case with Magearna. I didn't really care much when it was first revealed, but I fell for it once I saw it in the game. Such a great design and interesting concept. Easily my favorite legendary from Gen 7. Also, a Fairy-type. And Fleur Cannon. That is one epic move.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Something that's not unique to Pokemon, but that I thought about because of Pokemon. I like how even if you are a fan of something and have been for a long time, there might still be small details regarding certain things that you only notice after a long time. For example, I recently learned that Roxie has freckles. I only got to know that thanks to reading Pokemon Adventures, the black/white colors in the manga make them very visible. They are visible in her official artwork and VS sprite in the games too, though they are a bit hard to see. I believe they are visible in the anime as well if you look close enough.
She does have her freckles in the anime but they're hard to see sometimes (looks to depend how much the colorist for that still wanted to emphasize it):

Another situation where this has happened is regarding Honchkrow's eyes. I have always been wondering how they actually look, and it wasn't until recently that I learned how they function, after I looked close at its model in the games. How they look have been visible in its artwork ever since it was first revealed, but I never thought about looking at them in detail earlier.
What was confusing about them? The white markings around the eyes?

Anyway, the real reason I came here: to post silly Japanese videos of people in Pikachu suits dancing:
Looks like the Pikachu army are preparing a "Pikachu Carnival":

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I like how, starting from Gen 6, the main series games have been released at the same (or almost the same) date across the world. No longer do we have to wait several months before the games are out in English, or (for us Europeans), wait for several more months after the US release. I remember 10 years ago, during the wait for D/P, that the US got the games in April while we in Europe had to wait until July. Thankfully, that is now just a memory which won't be repeated ever again. The extra days we had to wait for OR/AS and S/M were a little annoying though, but it was nowhere near as bad as the three months for D/P. I really hope all future games will have a true simultaneous release date like X/Y and US/UM.
The waiting was bad. The constant confusion over names was even worse. Nattorei, Roobushin, Sazandora... ugh.

The funny thing about the Japanese names is that most of them have confirmed spellings, and they don't match the transliterations! For instance, Ferrothorn's trademarked Japanese name is spelled "Nutrey". Other examples include more Romanized names like Roubushin, Burungel, and Warrgle. It's humorous because few of these names consisted only of English words but were changed in the dub anyway.

What was confusing about them? The white markings around the eyes?
I used to think that Honchkrow had "crazy" eyes, similar to Chobin's glasses:

That's the impression I got from its in-game sprites and model, I never thought about looking at its official art in more detail. It only took me around 10 years before I learned that it actually has rather normal eyes. I can only blame myself for not looking at them in detail at an earlier point.
The waiting was bad. The constant confusion over names was even worse. Nattorei, Roobushin, Sazandora... ugh.
Oh yeah, this too. I wasn't really active in the fandom during the pre-english BW days so I can't comment on that, but I do remember this happening a lot during the pre-english DP days. On Serebii, some people were extremely sensitive about the "English" names of the new Pokemon. For example, regarding the Pokemon we now know as Turtwig, you could see discussions like this: "It's name is Naetoru." "No it's not, it's Naetle!" "No, it's Nattle! :P" And those discussions weren't exactly uncommon either.

So that's another thing I like about the games being released everywhere at once: no longer do we have to see those stupid discussions happen, and we are not forced to use the Japanese names for the new Pokemon and characters for several months before the English names are revealed. There are of course exceptions, like when the Japanese names are leaked through things like Corocoro. But still, it is nowhere near as bad as it was in the past since the English names usually get confirmed a few days after the leaks happen in most cases. In a way, I guess another thing I like about this whole situation is how Pokemon has been moving forward with time and is no longer stuck in the past when it comes to localizations. Nowadays, Game Freak and TPCi know that they have a large fanbase outside of Japan, which is good as it means less waiting for us and more controlled advertising for them.

Last edited:
This may be a little odd to post in an English speaking forum, but there are plenty of international fans so why not.

I like how starting with Platinum or so the FIGS translations are based on the original Japanese version instead of being based on the English translation instead. While other companies insist on playing Chinese Whispers with us European folks the Nintendo people actually bother translating things right. Not on every franchise, just ask any disgruntled Fire Emblem fan from the Old Continent for proof, but more and more every year. Helps that means the Gen 5 cast was given actual names and not punny elemental names, since at least personally the Spanish punny names from Gen 3&4 were terrible and given the story focus from the B&W games it would be hard to take the story seriously if half the cast had a punny name.

I also like how they fixed a few terrible move names. Not enough though, gems like Pound -> Destroyer and Focus Blast -> Accurate Wave still remain, but overall is nice they fixed things.

Somehow I think you meant to post this in this thread instead.

As for giving Primal Groudon the fire typing, it's hard to justify not giving it to him when the magma within his body overflows. I'm guessing it's just a coincidence that it got the same typing as Camerupt (think ground, plate movement, volcano, lava) rather than it being intentional.
That and his ability is meh when he doesn't get STAB on his fire moves, so giving him the type is obvious. Really, I wish Precipice Blades had been fire type instead of ground, and that Primal Kyogre had been given either ice or electric as a secondary typing.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Helps that means the Gen 5 cast was given actual names and not punny elemental names, since at least personally the Spanish punny names from Gen 3&4 were terrible and given the story focus from the B&W games it would be hard to take the story seriously if half the cast had a punny name.
Except half the time in Japan they were also punny elemental names. In Japan almost all the characters are named after plants, however with many of the Gym Leaders, Elite Four, and Champions with a type preference they also try to have their names relate to their element preference.

I personally like the element pun names. It makes them more unique characters had they just been given traditional names or strictly followed the Japanese names. I'll give the translation team credit for doing their best with the Gen VI names, they showed it can work especially if they take generous interpretations with the original Japanese name (like instead of the plant's genus they'd use a specific species in the genus if they feel it would make for a better pun). Still, I hope the translations teams don't strictly tie themselves to be in reference of the Japanese name if the pun name doesn't come out quite right. Unless there's a plot specific reason for the names to be similar to the Japanese, I rather creativity over sticking close to the source (in this case) if the name isn't working out.

Except half the time in Japan they were also punny elemental names. In Japan almost all the characters are named after plants, however with many of the Gym Leaders, Elite Four, and Champions with a type preference they also try to have their names relate to their element preference.
Yeah, but they had names that were still names. The Spanish names for Gen 3 and especially Gen 4 people are horrendous. That's the difference. Like Byron is literally called "Big Steel" and if you Google his name you don't get real people, just him and other Pokémon stuff. That's how bad things got.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Yeah, but they had names that were still names. The Spanish names for Gen 3 and especially Gen 4 people are horrendous. That's the difference. Like Byron is literally called "Big Steel" and if you Google his name you don't get real people, just him and other Pokémon stuff. That's how bad things got.
But that sounds like an issue more with the Spanish translation team than the names not being based on the Japanese names. It sounds like the Spanish team just picked a word relating to the element and didn't do much to make it into a name. The English names, while strange names at times, I would say were at the very least fantasy names since we rarely got an incident a name might as well be the element. They always twisted enough that we know what the element basis is in it but they made sure it was a name.

Also I wouldn't use Googe search as a good example. I typed in "Misty" and got a ton of stuff for Pokemon's Misty.

I don't know why, but I just love it when characters from old games appear in new games, such as Cynthia in BW2 or Grimsley in SM.
Well for me it makes the world feel more alive and the games aren't isolated from one another.

But that sounds like an issue more with the Spanish translation team than the names not being based on the Japanese names. It sounds like the Spanish team just picked a word relating to the element and didn't do much to make it into a name. The English names, while strange names at times, I would say were at the very least fantasy names since we rarely got an incident a name might as well be the element. They always twisted enough that we know what the element basis is in it but they made sure it was a name.

Also I wouldn't use Googe search as a good example. I typed in "Misty" and got a ton of stuff for Pokemon's Misty.
Well, that was my point, that the Spanish punny names were awful and having the Japanese names was an improvement over that. Not that punny names are bad period. Sorry for not being clear.

Also Misty is a popular character, makes sense she'd get more hits.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I just realized something while trying to defend my Champion throne.
As you probably know, the Poké Rider theme, which sounds upbeat and even a bit silly, will override any theme currently playing until you change areas or go back on your own feet.
That is... except at Mount Lanakila, in front of the Pokémon League. Maybe it does that at other important locations too (Sunne/Moone Altar maybe), but I find it nice that Game Freak doesn't let a player unintentionally ruin the solemn atmosphere that goes on right before entering the League.

As you probably know, the Poké Rider theme, which sounds upbeat and even a bit silly, will override any theme currently playing until you change areas or go back on your own feet.
That is... except at Mount Lanakila, in front of the Pokémon League. Maybe it does that at other important locations too (Sunne/Moone Altar maybe), but I find it nice that Game Freak doesn't let a player unintentionally ruin the solemn atmosphere that goes on right before entering the League.
Yeah, its nice that they choose to do this, especially when the Poke Rider music can get obnoxiously annoying. It also plays at the Lake/Alter of the Sunne/Moone and Vast Poni Canyon - however an annoyance to me is that it doesn't play in the Tapu Ruins, which thanks to the severely underrated music there has an incredible atmosphere...replaced by fun and cheery PokeRide music. Shame you have to use Machamp Shove in 3 of them.

I mentioned this a while ago but DPP will always have the greatest Pokemon League song.

A brief moment of peace and reflection before the final battle. Amazing atmosphere.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
ok, for all the things the anime got wrong, it definitely did something right: it gave each mon its time in the spotlight.

do the stories get repetitive? of course. but you can't deny the fact that no matter what your favorite mon is, you'll get to see it in action in at least one episode.

something similar: the iq system in mystery dungeon (the first two generations, anyway). it's really cool how it allows you to take any mon and, with enough effort, make it into an amazing explorer. the iq groups are also very interesting in how they distinguish mons, like for example one iq skill is called "absolute mover" and it allows the user to move through literally any terrain. however, the skill is exclusive to one group, group j. group j contains only the pokemon palkia. that's amazing, it really gives palkia an actual in-game representation of its power to distort space. but of course there are skills that even palkia misses out on, giving more "ordinary" mons a niche.

next up: the racial representation in sun and moon. this is awesome. there's no stereotypes or any of that stuff, they really did an amazing job with it.

finally lemme point out how much i like that the ultra beasts don't outclass other mons at all, having their own niches instead. like for example, xurkitree is one of the most powerful of all the electric types, and it can even use tail glow... but it has neither the speed of raichu nor the expansive movepool of eelektross nor the bulk of mega ampharos. buzzwole is slow, powerful and bulky, so you'd think it would be "mega heracross but better". but buzzwole is vulnerable to special attacks and doesn't have skill link rock blast backing its fighting moves up. kartana and guzzlord are the polar opposites of ferrothorn and hydreigon. nihilego has its own stuff going on, celesteela's movepool is completely different from skarmory's. it really seems very thought out to me, i'm impressed.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
ok, for all the things the anime got wrong, it definitely did something right: it gave each mon its time in the spotlight.

do the stories get repetitive? of course. but you can't deny the fact that no matter what your favorite mon is, you'll get to see it in action in at least one episode.
Eh... while they do try to include every normal Pokemon into the anime and give them time in the spotlight, at the same time there are some who I feel didn't get the right storyline to show its talents. Can't name any example, but I know I felt this way during the Kalos arc. Also not every normal Pokemon got spotlight time...

(Not to mention Porygon's episode got banned...)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Pikachu just has to be in all the anime episodes. Even the main games lacked wild Pikachu for Gen 5, but the anime can't take a break from the yellow guy.
This kind of sounds like a complaint more than something you like. Also, even the games can't take a break. Sure, Pikachu aren't catchable in Gen V, but that didn't stop them putting a Pikachu-shaped tent in Nimbasa's amusement park.

I enjoy just how accessible and easy the game. My 50 year old mother recently picked up a copy of Sun and had a blast, but there is still a lot of added depth with the competitive scene for me. In essence, you can make the game as easy or as hard for yourself as you want, a player controlled difficulty setting without the easy, normal, hard, option at the beginning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)