Lockdown (Now Playable!)

Misty Terrain also basically invalidates dragon STAB when used against grounded Pokemon (halves the damage dealt to grounded opponents, basically making it useless), so that's also a thing to consider beyond simply stopping status. Its gonna be hard to properly experiment with the terrains before this is coded, because there are additional effects that need to be taken into consideration. Grassy Terrain in particular due to it basically being an additional Leftovers for all grounded 'mons.
That is an interesting point, if you're using a Dragon type on a Misty Terrain team, it'll need to be one that doesn't use its Dragon STAB like Mega Altaria or Roost + 3 Attacks Kyurem-B.

At the moment I think Misty Terrain will be the best Terrain, followed by Grassy then Electric. I'm going to update the OP later with examples of the buffed team styles.

At the moment, does anything jump out to anyone as broken?

I really don't think Magic Room will be that threatening, it doesn't prevent the use of Mega stones and only Chansey is completely item reliant. We might see Marowak on Trick Room teams I guess, but it still gets Swords Dance.

I've also spoken to AWailOfATail regarding coding this meta - this was the response:

Responded to the sqsa thread about coding in general
Looks pretty possible, I still have another one to do that I just need to check work
But yeah I haven't been at a computer in a week so I haven't been able to do that. Yours will be my next priority though!
So looks encouraging, with a bit of luck it might be playable in a few weeks.

Also, updated the OP with an Overview of various team styles.

Last edited:

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Question, how does Cloud 9 work? What if my opponent sets up sun turn 4 and I switch into Golduck or Altaria with Cloud 9, and they are still on the field when turn 6 ends? Does Cloud 9 work as long as they are on the field like normal, or does the Cloud 9 mechanic stay the whole time? Sorry if this was already gone over in the thread.

Question, how does Cloud 9 work? What if my opponent sets up sun turn 4 and I switch into Golduck or Altaria with Cloud 9, and they are still on the field when turn 6 ends? Does Cloud 9 work as long as they are on the field like normal, or does the Cloud 9 mechanic stay the whole time? Sorry if this was already gone over in the thread.
I didn't make this meta or anything but based on how Cloud Nine works normally, it will probably just suppress the effects of the weather as long as the user of the Ability stays in. Cloud Nine isn't a field effect, just a suppression of one via an Ability.

Cloud 9 functions the same way it normally would, so if your opponent got weather up and you switched in your Cloud 9 Pokémon, that effects would be negated while it was still on the field.

Ninja'd

Not broken, but Magic Room is very powerful, completely stopping any pokemon that rely on their items.
Does this mean we can't use mega stones?
Also trick room is going to be dominant: I think you know why
Weather wars for first 6 turns, whoever gets it off at end will win unless they screw up

bp scrub

rub a dub dub one scrub in a tub
so would water/mud sport be up permanently, and would embargo permanently disable opponent items? Lucky Chant would also be nice for mons like Clefable/Sigilyph with magic guard + cosmic power

Embargo wouldn't, because you can lift the effects of it by switching out. Lucky Chant I'm honestly not sure about, I didn't consider that. What does everyone think? Should Lucky Chant be permanent if it goes beyond Turn 6?

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lucky Chant and Infestation affect the party or Pokémon, respectively, as opposed to the field. Therefore, they should not be affected by Lockdown.

bp scrub

rub a dub dub one scrub in a tub
Lucky Chant and Infestation affect the party or Pokémon, respectively, as opposed to the field. Therefore, they should not be affected by Lockdown.
Mist is the same thing though, it stops all stat drops on the user's side for 5 turns.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mist is the same thing though, it stops all stat drops on the user's side for 5 turns.
In that case then Mist should not be permanent. I didn't even realise that was a thing lol. ChrystalFalchion why is this a thing? Surely this goes into mini-mod territory if you have just the one non-field effect be locked down, so it really shouldn't be a thing.

I've been thinking a bit about the kind of struggle opposing weather teams would have in this meta. There is potentially a very deep rabbit hole of counter-plays you can pull to steal weather out from your opponent on turn 6. However, you can't put too much dedication into beating opposing weather archetypes because weather is just one of many archetypes in this meta. You need to prepare to stop other archetypes, most notably Trick Room, which turns weather into an outright liability for Chlorophyll, Swift Swim, and Sand Rush users. In order to stop Trick Room, weather teams will likely be obliged to run a counter-setter (really, I suspect almost every team will run a Trick Room setter so they at least have the option to shut it off before lockdown). This leads to an extremely interesting dynamic for opposing weather teams: if you feel your opponent is likely to win weather, then the counter-play is to set Trick Room. This makes winning weather double-edged, and means that opposing weather teams are not necessarily all-in battles for turn 6 control. This could actually be a very interesting and multi-faceted matchup, provided weather isn't rendered unviable by a dominant Trick Room archetype.

Beyond that, here are some other thoughts on the weather wars:

1) Sand is inherently advantaged when it comes to setting; if two weather-inducers switch in at the same time then the slower pokemon's ability will prevail. Hippowdon is by far the slowest weather setter barring gimmicks like using a level 1 Ninetails. This means that sand doesn't need to aim to win the weather war, just tie it. Trick Room does invert this, but if Trick Room gets locked in on turn 6 then setting weather is double-edged anyways.
2) Sand may be inherently disadvantaged in the metagame overall if Grassy Terrain becomes common. There is no realistic counter-setting option that fits onto sand teams, and that means that a Mental Herb on the setter practically guarantees lock-in. Fortunately the distribution of Grassy Terrain is terrible so it's not something that can just be slapped on any team and will likely be restricted to specific archetypes,.
3) If you don't have a Magic Bounce user, phasing is incredibly problematic. I suspect this will be true in general and not just for weather teams. Everyone is probably going to have a preferred game plan going into turn 6 to get a more favorable lockdown. That means a good counter-plan is to phase on turn 5. Phasing moves are very general-purpose utility and can easily be slapped on a wide variety of mons, making it a very easy way to check specialized turn 6 gambits.
4) Using a move like Explosion or Memento is a superb way to safely pivot into your setter on turn 6. The switch-in happens after all other moves have resolved for the turn, which means you can safely bring in your automatic setter immediately afterwards. While this seems like a pretty big sacrifice, any pokemon dedicated to setting and counter-setting is going to be useless after Lockdown anyways so it's actually not a bad way to go, and if helps guarantee weather setting then all the better. Mega Diancie, Mew, Cresselia, and Bronzong look like the best options due to a combination of reasonable bulk, access to Trick Room (to set or counter-set), a self-KO move to guarantee a turn 6 pivot, and an otherwise good support movepool for a dedicated setup mon.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this metagame yet, and just from theory-monning I'm not sure what the most dangerous and common archetypes will be and what the best way to prepare for them are. I look forward to seeing how it plays.

Edit- and sorry for the wall of text, that ended up way longer than I thought it would

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
On the Trick Room side, those who will get most beneficts are those who are terribly slow but great bulk and high on either Attack or Special Attack. Maybe not (Mega) Swampert, but Snorlax, Conkeldurr, (Mega) Slowbro and Slowking, Chesnaught, Mega Garchomp and other slow but bulky Pokemon will have atleast a niche. Ferrothorn might be also a more annoying threat, too. Priorty moves is a good remedy but don't rely it too much.

Oh well, there's always May...or June...or July... if I can ever get this coded. Thank you to the people who voted for Lockdown, it's nice to see my first OM get some appreciation.

So I've actually got something to talk about in this post, I made a sample hyper offensive Trick Room team:

Bronzong @ Occa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 1 Spe
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Conkeldurr @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Facade

Rhyperior @ Lum Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Recover
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Trick Room
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Last edited:

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
It took quite a bit longer than anticipated, but enjoy!
warning: pretty big code blocks in there
Code:
//config/formats.js
{
     name: "Lockdown",
     section: "Other Metagames",
     mod: 'lockdown',

ruleset: ['OU'],
     banlist: ['Damp Rock', 'Heat Rock', 'Smooth Rock', 'Icy Rock'],

onTryHitSide: function (target, source, move) {
       console.log("trying hitting side");
       let lockdownMoves = ['stealthrock', 'spikes', 'toxicspikes', 'stickyweb'];
       if (lockdownMoves.indexOf(move.id) > -1 && this.turn > 6) return false;
     },
     onTryHitField: function (target, source, move) {
       console.log("trying hitting field");
       let lockdownMoves = ['sunnyday', 'raindance', 'hail', 'sandstorm', 'magicroom', 'wonderroom', 'trickroom', 'gravity', 'electricterrain', 'mistyterrain', 'grassyterrain', 'mudsport', 'watersport'];
       if (lockdownMoves.indexOf(move.id) > -1 && this.turn > 6) return false;
     }
   },
Code:
//mods/lockdown/abilties.js
'use strict';

exports.BattleAbilities = {
   drought: {
     inherit: true,
     onStart: function (source) {
       for (let i = 0; i < this.queue.length; i++) {
         if (this.queue[i].choice === 'runPrimal' && this.queue[i].pokemon === source && source.template.speciesid === 'groudon') return;
         if (this.queue[i].choice !== 'runSwitch' && this.queue[i].choice !== 'runPrimal') break;
       }
       if (this.turn < 7) this.setWeather('sunnyday');
     },
   },
   drizzle: {
       for (let i = 0; i < this.queue.length; i++) {
         if (this.queue[i].choice === 'runPrimal' && this.queue[i].pokemon === source && source.template.speciesid === 'kyogre') return;
         if (this.queue[i].choice !== 'runSwitch' && this.queue[i].choice !== 'runPrimal') break;
       }
       if (this.turn < 7) this.setWeather('raindance');
     },
   },
   sandstream: {
       if (this.turn < 7) this.setWeather('sandstorm');
     },
   },
   snowwarning: {
       if (this.turn < 7) this.setWeather('hail');
     },
   },
}
Code:
//mods/lockdown/statuses.js
'use strict';

exports.BattleStatuses = {
   raindance: {
     durationCallback: function () {
       if (this.turn > 2) {
         return 999;
       }
       return 5;
     },
   },
   sunnyday: {
       if (this.turn > 2) {
         return 999;
       }
       return 5;
     },
   },
   sandstorm: {
       if (this.turn > 2) {
         return 999;
       }
       return 5;
     },
   },
   hail: {
       if (this.turn > 2) {
         return 999;
       }
       return 5;
     },
   },
}
mods/lockdown/moves.js
much bigger so no code block, here it is though

If anything doesn't work as it should, let me know :)

Thank you so much AWailOfATail , I'm going to contact the Rom and Galaxy server owners to see if they'll run this.

Update - the metagame is now playable on The Galaxy Server!

If anyone wants to challenge me, I'll be in the Other Metas room most afternoons / evenings (GMT) on the alt H2302. Please share replays of your battles.

If you wish to share sample teams, please use a similar format to the OP - it keeps it compact. Use this URL for mini sprites: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/[pokemon's national pokedex number].png

Edit: Galaxy already uploaded it.

Last edited:

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/galaxy-lockdown-11665
A battle vs ChrystalFalchion which showed how pokwerful misty terrain is in this metagame.Sandstorm vs Misty terrain(Again n_n)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/galaxy-lockdown-11666
This battle show a battle between vs ChrystalFalchion (again :))) ) .Grassy terrain vs Rain (Got a good start yet a bad end n_n)

Please note:The rain team used by me isnt mine; it belongs to it rightful owner.Link

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/galaxy-lockdown-11668
Trick room vs Rain.

After playing these games i noticed few things:
1:After misty terrain get permanent, Mega-Slow bro with calm mind is almost impossible to break ,making it more of a deadly mon :v
2:Whimsicott seems like a very good pokemon for terrain based teams o3o (With nature power being an excellent move with it)
3:Klefki can be used on many teams like Sun or rain (It has sunny day and rainy dance) as a backup weather setup pokemon.

Nominating Klefki for A
Klefki seems to have a niche in lock down.Klefki is a great pokemon for so many types of teams here, due to its ability prankster and having access to many useful moves.A backup weather setter, a spike stacker making it feel many roles, i strongly recommend klefki for -A/A (I don't guess the viability process has started yet but i wanted to point this out)

Good Luck Lockdown!
Tfw this is the long i've ever written

Last edited:
If anyone wants to challenge me, I'll be in the Other Metas room most afternoons / evenings (GMT) on the alt H2302. Please share replays of your battles.
PST here, so getting our times lined up for a match may be difficult. I'll check in throughout my lunch break today on the off chance you're there. It'll be some ungodly hour in the morning for you when I get home from work, so I doubt you'll be there then :-P

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this, and forgive me if it's already been posted, but would Reflect and Light Screen be affected here? If so, Pokemon such as Klefki can gain guaranteed Reflects and Light Screens through the use of Light Clay, allowing their teams to set-up or defend much easier, perhaps to a broken extent. For example, more fragile set-up sweepers such as Linoone, which wouldn't even be considered normally, can easily set up and proceed to clean late game, whereas established threats such as Dragonite can set up multiple Dragon Dances and sweep with ease.

No, Reflect and Light Screen are not permanent. What's permanent (beyond turn 6)

• Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Sticky Web
  • Sun, Rain, Sandstorm, Hail
  • Trick Room, Wonder Room, Magic Room
  • Gravity
  • Misty Terrain, Grassy Terrain, Electric Terrain
  • Water Sport, Mud Sport

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)