Other Metagames Mad World - USUM AG RMT

pichus

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
OMPL Champion

Hi, I am Arushii and Welcome to my first ever RMT! I've been main-ing AG for almost a year now and I think it's about time to share one of my hottest squads with you guys. This team was originally meant to be a joke, but after I used this a bit more I realized that it had serious potential to be really good and started to improve it. Here's the end result.
Oh, here's something to listen

TEAM-BUILDING PROCESS

This is the Pokemon I chose to build around. Originally, I wanted it to have an offensive set, but then I figured out how it's offensive presence isn't really good so I had to settle for a standard SR set with Trick Room.

Next, I chose Primal-Groudon. I was honestly very much impressed with the fact that it can OHKO standard Support Arceus and a few other things with Eruption, assuming its on max. health. With Trick Room set up, slow speed was not an issue anymore and it could pretty much OHKO every thing that clicks defog, which ensured that the rocks I set up weren't removed.

Most of you know how much I am obsessed with Mega Gengar, but I thought Mega Rayquaza fitted this team nicer. Nothing wants to switch in into Choice Band Adamant Nature Rayquaza. What it does is pretty self explanatory, pressure opponent to death.

Arceus-Dark is my favourite Arceus forme to use since early SM and because of introduction of Necrozma Dusk Mane and Ultra into the tier, It made Arceus-Dark good again. In all honesty, Arceus-Dark can manage to 6-0 through balance teams, especially because of the fact that it can beat Specially Defensive walls like Ferrothorn and its 'natural' checks like Arceus-Fairy.

I added Primal Kyogre next. It can deal really high damage to Support Arceus, which can be an advantage to rest of my team. The variant I am running can single handedly beat Stall and Balance and runs Rest for recovery purpose.

I wasn't a fan of Necrozma Dusk Mane when it first came out. I usually found myself running Ultra Necrozma over it everytime. However, I used it on this team because I wasn't serious about how this team would turn out. I can safely say that adding this was the best decision for this team.

IN-DEPTH LOOK

Stakataka @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
Doesnt look like a very good SR setter at the first sight. And I can very much agree to that. However, Because of it's really slow speed tier, it can outspeed possibly everything after TR is up. Set is pretty self explanatory, Trick Room to set up Trick Room, Stealth Rock to set up Stealth Rock, Toxic is to badly poison Support Arceus if they try to stall out my Stealth Rock's PP while Gyro Ball is to do damage if its taunted.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Overheat / Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Rock Tomb
I'm basically running this to prevent any kind of Defog and to deal heavy damage to anything that comes in to wall me, which would help the following mons to easily kill the wall. Overheat is a backup so that if I get hit by Arceus-Ground, I can still do damage (FWIW, 252 HP allows it to take a Judgment from Arceus-Ground). Roar is to prevent Zygarde from setting up, Rock Tomb is to deal damage to Ho-Oh while also reducing speed of my opponent.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Origin Pulse
- Rest
- Ice Beam
Another nuke which can deal heavy damage to all its switch ins. This is standard Primal CRogre set. Origin Pulse is your STAB, Ice Beam is for coverage, Rest is for recovery and Calm Mind to boost. Stall has a hard time dealing with this mon. With Max HP and Max defense, it manages to not get revenge killed by Mega Rayquaza, Arceus-Normal, Marshadow and Dusk Mane/Ultra Necrozma.

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Judgment
- Recover
This is a really good pokemon. Calm Mind with Refresh allows it to set up on EVERY support Arceus, including Arceus-Fairy, and on other walls like Celesteela, Ferrothorn and Yveltal. Judgment is for STAB, Recover is for recovery. Max. HP is to tank few hits from Arceus-Normal, incase it sets up and to take less damage from Heavy Slam, Gyro Ball, Sunsteel Strike from Necrozma-Dusk Mane and Fire Punch/Precipice Blades from Primal Groudon. I'd say it is easily the best Calm Mind Arceus Forme in current Metagame, and it is also my favourite Arceus-Forme. I have no reason to not have this.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Waterfall
- V-create
Nothing wants to switch into Choice Band Rayquaza. It heavily pressures your opponent. However, because Choice Band locks it into one move, you need to make a few predicts so that things like Arceus-Rock and Celesteela don't get free switch ins. Dragon Ascent is for STAB, Espeed is to revenge kill faster things, V-Create is to hit Steel Types. Most Groudon's don't expect Waterfall, especially if I havent revealed Band. They usually stay in and I manage to get a kill. Otherwise, Waterfall also hits Arceus-Rock for decent damage. It's also a move that doesn't have a drawback, so I can click it without thinking of getting trapped by opposing Gengar.(Dragon Ascent has defense/special defense drops, Ghosts are immune to Espeed, V Create has Special defense/Defense drops. All this allows Mega-Gengar to 100% kill my Rayquaza and sometimes gives it a free Substitute if I am locked into Espeed.)

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Solganium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Autotomize
- Sunsteel Strike
- Photon Geyser
Thanks to it's awesome bulk, Necrozma-Dusk Mane can set up atleast Autotomize or Swords Dance on pretty much everything. If it manages to set up both, you can safely say 'gg' because you are unlikely to get walled by anything. With a few predicts here and there, it can manage to sweep through all types of builds, from Offense to Stall. Toxic immunity is also a huge bonus. With Solganium Z, It gets a STAB 200 BP Move to use once. This allows it to beat Zygarde-Complete and Yveltal, which it can otherwise have troubles with.

CONCLUSION

I honestly very much like using this team. TR isn't a reliable playstyle, but again, it's not a pure TR team, is it? :p Oh and, if you want to steal/use this team, feel free to do it, that's what the purpose of doing this RMT originally was.

IMPORTABLE
Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Overheat
- Roar
- Rock Tomb

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Origin Pulse
- Rest
- Ice Beam

Stakataka @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Waterfall
- V-create

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Judgment
- Recover

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Solganium Z
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Autotomize
- Sunsteel Strike
- Photon Geyser

REPLAYS
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-680630022
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-680614051
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-680610436
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-681471067 (AG OPEN R1 G2)

SHOUTOUTS
In no particular order, I'm gonna tag whoever comes to my mind first. If you didnt get a shoutout, dont worry I still love you <3
Mq Thanks for testing your TR teams with me, and losing. JK, you're the reason I made this team :p
cromagnet42 favourite voice.
Whitewash You're a really cute guy <3
avocado thanks for teaching me RU hun <3
bdov we're both cool, and our birthdays are close too. We're definitely twins.
Chloe come back soon :(
Thimo I miss you so much. Be active again pls
GL Volkner you're a cool guy but teach me some OMs thx.
Pigeons American Wigeon is my new favourite bird!
Catalystic trade your pink nick color for my faded blue tyvm :>
Ransei you're nicer than I thought, now that I actually talk to you.
WTF THHE STALLS you're good but your name isnt :x
GRNBLN you're really cool like your Zygarde sets.
TylerWithNumbers tylerr join aether i wont call you bad anymore ok.
Zesty43 You're a really good AG player.
Isotonex you're cool. Hoping to talk to you more.
lotiasite be online more, I almost forgot you existed :(
Quantum Tesseract qt and cutie have the same pronunciation :o
Singiamtel get a better name on PS! or i'll Psych up your moody boosts.
Dark swordman you gave me a shoutout, heres your :x
Synoptic COME BACK, NOW!!
Nocty be more active

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!​

21pichus
I can confidently say that reading your RMT all the way to the end was a promising decision for me. Stakataka is largely unexplored Pokemon in Anything Goes and I liked your idea to build around it. Trick Room is something that is vastly unprepared for most offensive teams and is especially threatening with the right play due to the metagame's offensive nature. However, as you have mentioned, Trick Room isn't always reliable. Something that came to my mind when reading your RMT was that majority of your team members can only function well when Trick Room is up, and your Stakataka seems to be a semi-suicide lead that won't be able to consistently set up Trick Room throughout the match. In addition, the three Hoenn legendaries you have listen largely rely on Stealth Rock (especially Primal Kyogre due to lack of investment) to make notable KOes against common threats. Despite these downsides, I still find your team creative and would gladly leave some suggestions:

To be frank, Stakataka isn't very good suicide lead to set Stealth Rock because it will have trouble against Excadrill, Deoxys-S, and Smeargle - which are very common hazard leads in offensive teams that your Trick Room must do well against.

Since I want to keep your team as much as possible while suggesting changes, I would say keep Stakataka if you wish. But I want to say that there are better suicide lead options for Trick Room such as Carbink and Diancie; the former has Sturdy and has a room for Mental Herb while the latter has better offensive presence and isn't ugly as Carbink is.

prdon.gif

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Dragon Pulse
- Stone Edge

I would personally suggest this set for Primal Groudon. EV spreads still let you survive Arceus-Ground's Judgment and it also guarantees that Groudon will survive Xerneas' +2 Focus Blast after taking Stealth Rock damage after Primal Reversion. I would suggest Fire Blast instead of Overheat because Eruption and Overheat isn't really consistent because Primal Groudon will progressively lose offensive presence, and it was very evident in the fourth replay. Fire Blast is entirely sufficient to demolish most neutral targets with Stealth Rock up. Also Roar isn't really necessary in this moveset (especially when a set has to be as offensive as possible to dish out as much damage as possible in Trick Room) and Xerneas can also be handled by Necrozma-DM. Hidden Power Ice solves all issues with Zygarde-C. Dragon Pulse still 2HKOes Zygarde-C (assuming it switches in prior to transformation) and dents opposing Mega Rayquaza to the point where it can be picked off by your own Rayquaza's CB Extreme Speed. Stone Edge is opted for instead of Rock Tomb to grab guaranteed OHKO on defensive Ho-oh and avoid wasting time using two Trick Room turns to take down said threat.

pogre.gif

Regarding your Primal Kyogre, it does have struggle against stall or any balance teams. If your opponent knows what they are doing, they will always have Ferrothorn / Chansey / Blissey or any form of appropriate answer to Kyogre. +1 Origin Pulse does not even come close to 2HKOing aforementioned walls. Mega Rayquaza will easily put Primal Kyogre into range of priority moves with Life Orb Dragon Ascent (though it will fall to Ice Beam after its defensive stats drop). I would say run +252 SpA or just use a different Pokemon that runs rampant in Trick Room... and there are many options that you can maybe refer from here.

dm.gif

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Solganium Z / Weakness Policy
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
- Autotomize / Trick Room

This set is very similar to what you already have. you only need 220 Speed to outspeed Timid Choice Scarf Yveltal. You also have the option to pour the EV's invested on Speed on HP if you are running Trick Room + Swords Dance. It essentially gives you a second chance for your Pokemon to run rampant in Trick Room if Stakataka was sacrificed in vain.

Since I am not too familiar with Trick Room, I can't say I gave you the best feedback but I hope what I said here will help. Have a good day.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think you kinda hit the nail on the head here with "TR isn't a reliable playstyle", it basically defines the problems with this team and so it's not entirely ratable. I would extend that concern to semiroom too, you say that "it's not a pure TR team, is it? :p" but frankly that seems even worse. Like idk how u can be positive about a team in a rate when the game plan involves sacking a mon with no good way to get off the field after setting up trick room to get Pdon in and hope it does things so that your far more balanced team is in a better position to finish off the other guy. It's just a weird and awkward playstyle, and frankly I think full TR or no TR would be significantly better. I also agree with above, Dusk Mane not being Trick Room is pretty silly. It does almost the exact same thing as Autotomize in terms of sweeping except for the unlikely case where Dusk Mane is still trying to sweep 5 turns after setting up, and it makes don significantly more useful in the not too unlikely case that Staka can't perform. The above rate also got it right on considering not using Staka when Carbink/Diancie (probably the former bc sturdy is nice) are options. My real concern is that the lack of Explosion makes it hard to get staka out of there, there's a momentum problem there that's evident in the replays. However those are assuming you stay with the same basic archetype, which I can't recommend doing. I mean just watch your own replays, Staka and Trick Room only does anything in the last two and both of those are clearly down to people playing extremely subpar. It'd be incredibly simple to go to a non-Trick Room oriented Pdon or a more Trick Room oriented team with an offensive Pogre. But the current state of the team just makes no sense, and my best suggestion here is really just to reevaluate why you're using semi-trick room in the first place. If it's to have fun, consider full Trick Room cuz that's fun. If it's to improve competitively, consider not messing with TR outside of maybe just on Dusk Mane over Autotomize. But this weird blend is just subpar.
Under the heading of semi-trick room teams, this is probably one of the best, if not the best, once the above changes are considered though. I just think you could try to set a goal for the team that's actually any good or worth using, because there's clearly the idea of a good team in here.

Tohru and the Adachi

Banned deucer.
- Pdon gets walled by Chansey
-Rest Pogre is setup bait and if rocks are on your side for the only mon that can tank the ascent at +1 , then rip you
-Trump's wall dies to Arceus-Ground or the Primal Donut ( perhaps Rhydon too )
-Weakness Policy ? It works once but not twice . Its a one time deal and if the opponent knows it , they will be prepared to not hit it with supereffective...or you can just V create it and it instantly dies LUL
- The classic cm refresh Arceus-Dark..but that one mon in your team can counter your entire team xddd
- Banded Mray is fine though , go for scarf draco to getem tho :s

Also those replays were not even against relevant stronk ag players like Lance or Wfuu
Try again after you beaten them in a best outta 3 with that team of yours that you built xD

Extra note : You haven't peaked the ladder to prove this team's worth at all lmao

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)