Manaphy discussion.

I think I have played against this set. It can be annoying but I'd really be more worried about the current set. Besides, manaphy is already status immune.
What do you mean by the 'current set?' How does it outclass this one?

Also, Heal Bell is to support teammates, not to
remove Manaphy's own status.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I've been testing out TG-Wacan Manaphy, but inability to get past checks without quite a bit of support is off-putting. +2 Grass Knot does 58.07% - 68.32% to standard Palkia, so if you can get some entry hazard support and get Palkia to switch in once or twice, you got yourself a reasonable sweeper. The set I'm testing is simply the one everyone abused in Stage 3-3, which is just Tail Glow/Surf/Ice Beam/Grass Knot @ Wacan. No need for Rest.
I have been running that same set, albeit with Rest < Grass Knot, and I didn't really notice much of a diference if I were running, say, Leftovers. Although I'd say Wacan > Leftovers, due to Wacan saving my ass quite a few times.

Having tried Life Orb, the extra power can be helpful in certain situations (A lot of times with Wacan they end up at around 10%) and it let's you 2HKO Kyogre with Surf IIRC, Which means you beat Kyogre is he decides to switch into your Surf or Is previously weakened a bit.

Manaphy shouldn't use Heal Bell, it's strapped for moveslots as it is.

Also, I've really had a bad time with Rain teams recently, running into people that use things like Palkia AND Latios, or Groudon and Rayquaza (devastated my Kingdra team), so I'm not sure they work too well in the current metagame.

it was always bothering me that manaphy could only sweep given the right circumstances... like rain... no faster pokemon in opponents team etc...
the only good set in my opinion is
calm mind rest surf ice beam in the rain ... it can set up on a lot of stuff with hydration... kinda like a different resttalk kyogre

Manaphy

no faster pokemon in opponents team
Manaphy can live a hard hit - As long as it's Not Thunder or Seed Flare.

But I think Manaphy has just enough speed to outspeed a lot of the Ubers. (most are base 90 and 95 for Rayquaza)

Also, don't Forget that Manaphy lols at Darkrai.

Manaphy @ Leftovers Trait: Hydration
EVs: 240 HP / 92 SAtk / 176 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Rest
- Ice Beam / Grass Knot

- Toxic

I ran this guy in my rain team to handle Darkrai (especially lead Darkrai). It can handle +2 Dark Pulses easily and hit back with Surfs that 2HKO. Ice Beam works to kill Lati@s without Thunder as well as Garchomp and unboosted Rayquaza that won't usually OHKO, but Grass Knot is the best option for hitting Groudon and Kyogre. Toxic can be replaced by some other stuff, but it's usually the best option to kill guys like Lugia and Specially Defensive Giratina, plus it eventually forces Blissey switches and is the best option to wear down Calm Mind boosters and Deoxys-D. If toxic doesn't fit your team, then I've found Reflect, Tail Glow, or Knock Off are pretty cool choices.

If only Manaphy could get Thunder Wave =[

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I hope this isn't the out of order, posting this here, but does anyone know of a use for that Japanese NZ Manaphy? I RNG'd a hex flawless one, but it's nature is set to Impish.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Manaphy should not be using an Impish nature. It's only useful physical move is Waterfall, and it has no method of boosting its Attack. On the other hand, it can use Surf with Tail Glow or Calm Mind, for a more offensive or bulkier sweeper, respectively.

Manaphy is a decent Pokemon but still, its reliance on Rain Dance if you use a Rest set turns it into a lightning rod... though CM might help it take hits...

Manaphy

Having tried the Calm Mind Set, it's pretty awesome, being able to beat Kyogre and Palkia is a huge plus for it. Heck, Surf did 54% to a Latias with 5 Calm Minds. (I run Grass Knot, because it hits Palkia harder)

Agammemnon

A wild Zubat appears!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think Manaphy is one of those interesting mons ; forgotten threats. It can easily tear though cores if you're not prepared.
The solution is to burst it before it has too many CMs under its belt or it becomes hell.
As you can't status it, it's really nasty.
But I have a massive grief about this ; Switching Groudon on the Rest turn or Taunting him (Hello Mewtwo) is a net "STOP" button.
Also, its typing make him redundant with Kyogre, in a way.
I think the main reason why it's not used is because of this and because everyone is using Thunder, which still hurts him after a CM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)