Metagame Mega Evolution in Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Gallade's going to stay in BL hell again this gen, ain't he?

Either way, I'm glad I can use Mega Sceptile. Really looking forward to it in UU when it does drop. I think it can actually be viable in OU too. It has a fantastic speed tier, can easily beat a lot of common Pokemon (Lando, Greninja, Duggy (Not sure if Sash carries Sucker Punch or Aerial Ace at all), Tapu Koko etc.) and is actually really strong. Its pretty frail, though, so that can be a huge blunder.

Swampertite, Blazikenite and Sceptilite are finally out!

and the next tournament is announced! Rewards are Gardevoirite, Galladeite and the long awaited Lopunnite.

I am so excited for Mega Lopunny, and I think most of Smogon is too!
Me too. It was my waifu is Gen 6 Battlespot Doubles, along with Azumarill.

Mega Lopunny is the one I'm most excited for, with Mega Diancie being in second. It was S rank last gen for a reason. Because normal type moves are only resisted by rock and steel and fighting type moves are super effective against both of those, it can literally hit any Pokemon for at least neutral damage with its STAB attacks. Return and High Jump Kick are very powerful moves and with a base attack stat of 136 to back them up. Shedinja and Cofagrigus are the only Pokemon able to completely wall it, though Shedinja only if Lopunny isn't carrying Ice Punch and Cofagrigus needs to take a hit first. More importantly, neither of them has any viability, so it doesn't matter. The addition of the Tapus isn't a good thing for it, though it can hit some of them hard and it's worth noting it outspeeds them all, even Tapu Koko. Physically defensive phychic types are currently rising, but they were more common in general last gen, so the difference from gen to gen likely wont noticable. Steel is a dominating type, but to be fair, a lot of the common steel types take neutral damage from fighting. Although Limber is less useful with the paralysis nerf, it's still a good ability pre-mega evolving, potentially rewarding a good prediction. Then there's the new Mega Evolution mechanics, which are extremely good for Mega Lopunny and its excellent speed tier. While Fake Out will still be a great move, it's no longer mandatory, giving Mega Lopunny more freedom with its other two slots, perhaps allowing for Mega Lopunny to boost itself more with Power-Up Punch if they for was likely to switch instantly anyway. It's certainly gonna have a strong impact.

Swampertite, Blazikenite and Sceptilite are finally out!

and the next tournament is announced! Rewards are Gardevoirite, Galladeite and the long awaited Lopunnite.

I am so excited for Mega Lopunny, and I think most of Smogon is too!
Is there gonna be any real reason to use Mega Gard this gen ?

Is there gonna be any real reason to use Mega Gard this gen ?
Unfortunately, there's pretty much gonna be no reason to use it, largely due to the omnipresence of Tapu Lele, a Pokemon that outclasses it in virtually every role, as it can actually hold items, doesn't take up your mega slot, and offers Psychic Terrain to support its team. On paper, Mega Gardevoir could potentially form a "Psychic spam" core of sorts with Tapu Lele and take advantage of Psychic Surge, but realistically you're gonna be stacking too many defensive weaknesses, to the point where such a core would be very difficult to build around and not worth it.

Abomasnow, Manetric and Tyrranitar stones are the next tournament participation prizes.

That means that the only thing stopping TTar-M from being viable is if the Lopunnite is released with the Steelix and Pidgiot stones.
Well, I think that Mega Ttar's "viability" in SM OU will last for a maximum of one month, if Mega Lopunny is really relevant in this meta.
To be honest, this will come with virtually no viability, taking into account the fact that Mega Heracross swallows his hits for days and can blow it up with just one, just like Mawile.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there's pretty much gonna be no reason to use it, largely due to the omnipresence of Tapu Lele, a Pokemon that outclasses it in virtually every role, as it can actually hold items, doesn't take up your mega slot, and offers Psychic Terrain to support its team. On paper, Mega Gardevoir could potentially form a "Psychic spam" core of sorts with Tapu Lele and take advantage of Psychic Surge, but realistically you're gonna be stacking too many defensive weaknesses, to the point where such a core would be very difficult to build around and not worth it.
Well at least she can join Prince Charming in BL (I don't really care for Mega Gard all that much, or Gardevoir in general, there are far better mons then it, power wise and design wise, but it's always sad to see a mon drop in BL). But I feel that's thinking way to far ahead so it's better to just wait and see what really happens. All things considered, I'm just happy one of my favorite Megas is finally coming back (Lopunny).

And still waiting for Altaria, GF. Any moment now.

I really like Gallade and Gardevoir, but there's really no reason to use them in OU. It's mega bee all over again - people will use them for a hot second before realizing they're utterly outclassed.

Ema Skye

Work!
Garde has a few niches over Lele, like not tying with Zygarde and support like WoW and TWave. It's not substantial, but it's something.

Is anyone else surprised that mega houndoom, didn't got ranked? Of course it's not meta defying, but it looks good on paper beating the tapus(bar koko), every steel type bar scarf exca(lol), the psychc types and tangrowth, all very meta mons, of course grens and thighs that outspeed can easily kill him, but common even mega garchomp got ranked

Well, I think that Mega Ttar's "viability" in SM OU will last for a maximum of one month, if Mega Lopunny is really relevant in this meta.
To be honest, this will come with virtually no viability, taking into account the fact that Mega Heracross swallows his hits for days and can blow it up with just one, just like Mawile.
Mawile is ohko'd by +1 eq, and heracross takes serious damage from +1 fire punch and stone edge.I agree that ttar probably wont be the greatest, but those two dont really like dealing with ttar, they cant switch in at all.

As the guy who's literally writing the OU analysis for Tyranitar, I can assure you Mega Tyranitar is only mentioned to state that it is unviable. There's really no point in discussing Mega Tyranitar since it's largely outclassed by its non-mega counterpart and nowhere near as viable as any other mega in OU.

Kutscher While Mega Houndoom is unranked it is listed as a niche mega in the role compendium thread, whereas absolute garbage Mega Audino and the like are not listed. Dunno if it deserves a rank but that's something at least.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think Mega Gardevoir can still remain in OU, with its higher speed, access to utility like Will o Wisp and a Fairy nuke instead of a Psychic one, it can hold its own. Gallade is a lost cause however, and I wonder if there is any chance it can grace UU?

I think Mega Gardevoir can still remain in OU, with its higher speed, access to utility like Will o Wisp and a Fairy nuke instead of a Psychic one, it can hold its own. Gallade is a lost cause however, and I wonder if there is any chance it can grace UU?
Not at all. Mega Gallade is just a more 'balanced' Mega Medicham, so it will end up in BL.

Mega Gallade is a sad case because it gets buffed by pretty much the same things Mega Medicham got benefited by (terrain-boosted Zen Headbutt and Thunder Punch), while also getting a vastly improved matchup vs offense, yet is still outclassed.

This calc, for instance, is quite worrisome:

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Sableye-Mega in Electric Terrain: 221-261 (72.6 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It still can't break stall unless you manage to get the opposing Mega Sableye to keep around 20-30% chip damage, or it will get burned as a result (because Sableye will switch in when you Swords Dance).

Meanwhile, it now is 2HKOed by Dugtrio's Earthquake (even from the Sash set) and Gallade does not have room for Shadow Sneak. And Mega Lopunny is also arriving, so it is also outclassed vs offense.

In UU, on the other hand... other than Unaware Clefable, I don't see anything else being able to successfully handle Mega Gallade without resorting to scarfers.

I'd ask about VGC, but I don't know if there's any Mythical Pokemon that might had been a problem for Gallade to face. And I do know that pokemon like Aegislash (immune to fighting, strong on Psychics), Blaziken (the accelerating menace), Pheremosa (Bug-type stab and higher offences) and Greninja (the STAB Ninja that starts off with psychic immunity) might make it worse for him (as well as the Tapu, but that's gonna be a problem for him in OU as well)

he just wanted to use "big words" to describe his favorite pokemon that smogon won't let him use or will get suspected

Literally the only two things that separate Gallade from Medicham are its base 110 speed tier and Knock Off (a move Medi would absolutely love as an option imo), but I'm afraid these two traits won't be enough to put it on par with Medi. The 110 speed is better for it now thanks to the auto-speed boost from Mega Evolution, but there's still plenty of common faster mons that stop it in its tracks anyway (Scarf Lele, [Ash] Gren, Koko, Torn-T, Dugtrio, Weavile).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)