Metagame Mega Evolution in Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
specs ash greninja? fightinium z magearna? mega medicham? charizard y? alakazam mega and normal? there are a lot of counters to it. all of those pokemon I just named can 1 hit ko it. the only chance to not killing it is with normal alakazam focus blast.
Why are you trying to say things that can't really switch in well at all (aside from maybe Magearna i think) are counters? Like, do you know what a counter is?

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
specs ash greninja? fightinium z magearna? mega medicham? charizard y? alakazam mega and normal? there are a lot of counters to it. all of those pokemon I just named can 1 hit ko it. the only chance to not killing it is with normal alakazam focus blast.
Most of these Pokemon you mentioned don't even "counter" it, aka, none of them are switching into any of its moves. Also, bar Mega Alakazam and a healthy Mega Medicham, none of these Pokemon can handle Mega T-tar after a boost, so they're very shaky checks at best. Lopunny is the only Mega yet to be released I can see hurting Mega T-tars viability considerably, because it can still outspeed it after a boost and OHKO with HJK. But even then, this all depends on how prevalent Mega Lopunny is, because if it's not nearly as common as it was last gen, than Mega T-tar will still be viable. Mega Diancie fails to OHKO it with Moonblast and can actually be used as set up fodder for Mega Tar lol, especially if it ends up running a more physically offensive spread for stronger Diamond Storms. Mega T-tar does have consistent counterplay but "lots" is kind of pushing it. It's overall very difficult to stop once it gets going.

I was only referring to the eventual addition of both Mega Lopunny and Mega Diancie when I made that comment. I wasn't factoring in other mons that take on Mega Tar already.

I was only referring to the eventual addition of both Mega Lopunny and Mega Diancie when I made that comment. I wasn't factoring in other mons that take on Mega Tar already.
yeah I get it. I'm just saying there are pokemon to deal with it. I don't really mean counters (even though I said it lmao) I just mean there are multiple ways to counter it. sorry for being rude lol I've been in a bad mood for like a week.

yeah, but so does stone edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
M-Ttar can still lure M-Lopunny and OHKO by Super Power though.
SP of course ohko but here the calc:
252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lopunny-Mega: 328-386 (121 - 142.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

At least, Mega Banette can use Prankster upon megaevolving, thus making it...less worse than previous generation.
Priority Destiny Bond is also nice, but I don't think this is enough for this OU metagame.

Mega Camerupt is outclassed by Mega Mawile in and out Trick Room, so basically you have no reason to use it.

Talking about Lati@s, they suffer from the abundance of Faeries and Steel, but that nerf to Sucker Punch really helps their viability as luxury megas. Mega Latios can be also "usable" as DD physical attacker.
Mega Mawile and Greninja still exist and hurt them in OU, though.
Mega latios is something that is entirely irrelevant to this metagame, so it should never be brought up for discussion. No, it can't pull off a dragon dance set, let alone ANY set. As you mentioned earlier, the influx of fairies this time around is going to make mega latios even worse than it was last gen(is this even possible lol). Mega latias, on the other hand, may struggle more than it did fulfilling its niche as a bulky calm mind user, but it will still be viable in the metagame.

Anyhow, what are everyone's thoughts on mega tar's performance in the metagame once lopunny comes in? Lopunny was the main reason why mega tar wasn't so hot last gen, but is mega tar going to be a bit more usable this time around?

Mega latios is something that is entirely irrelevant to this metagame, so it should never be brought up for discussion. No, it can't pull off a dragon dance set, let alone ANY set. As you mentioned earlier, the influx of fairies this time around is going to make mega latios even worse than it was last gen(is this even possible lol). Mega latias, on the other hand, may struggle more than it did fulfilling its niche as a bulky calm mind user, but it will still be viable in the metagame.

Anyhow, what are everyone's thoughts on mega tar's performance in the metagame once lopunny comes in? Lopunny was the main reason why mega tar wasn't so hot last gen, but is mega tar going to be a bit more usable this time around?
I predict Mega Tyranitar's usage will drop. Mega Lopunny won't do Mega Tyranitar any favors – her reintroduction will likely cause Mega Tyranitar's usage to fall off. But he wouldn't be as bad as he was in ORAS – he'll at least be better than he was in ORAS.

Reason for this being more setup opportunities – new enemies like Greninja (not Ash) and Fleur Cannon-less Magearna are two that immediately spring to mind.

Unfortunately I don't see any of those megas having a place in OU. Certainly not bad mons, but most other megas are simply better.

Edit: talking about latis and ampharos, not mlop who will obviously make a splash.

Furthermore it appears the next batch will be Ampharos, Latios, and Latias after performing in Weakness Cup.

Definitely a lot to consider with Latias. The other two? Eh. Nah.
Next Batch also brings to the table Altarianite, but I'm not sure if this would be good as last gen

Ema Skye

Work!
This meta has too many Steels and Fairies for Altaria to settle in.

It'll likely be UU. But I see it doing really well down there.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
"All qualified Trainers who play in at least three battles will earn Ampharosite, Altarianite, Latiosite, and Latiasite Mega Stones, the items needed to make Ampharos, Altaria, and the Legendary Pokémon Latios and Latias Mega Evolve in battle."

Source: Pokémon GL ( https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/d8e764b2-9f44-4c84-b362-e6c441f2ac4a )
My apologies on that. Serebii must have missed out on that.

(Quoting from them as a source):
Page.
Last Update: 05:34 GMT
Edit @ 05:06: Weakness Cup

In The Games Department
Pokémon Sun & Moon - Battle Competition

Details for the next Battle Competition have been announced. This is the Weakness Cup competition. This is a Single Battle competition using rules where only Pokémon with five or more weaknesses can be used. The standard Legendary Pokémon and Mythical Pokémon restrictions apply. Only Weakness Policy an the type-reducing Berries such as Yache Berry can be used. Mega Stones are also not allowed. Registration runs from July 20th to July 21st. Battles will run from July 28th to July 30th. All entrants will get the Ampharosite, Latiosite and Latiasite Mega Stones. Download Rules for this competition are now available from Festival Plaza
Edit @ 05:34: We have updated our Online Competition page with a list of all eligible Pokémon

My apologies on that. Serebii must have missed out on that.

(Quoting from them as a source):
Page.
Last Update: 05:34 GMT
Edit @ 05:06: Weakness Cup

In The Games Department
Pokémon Sun & Moon - Battle Competition

Details for the next Battle Competition have been announced. This is the Weakness Cup competition. This is a Single Battle competition using rules where only Pokémon with five or more weaknesses can be used. The standard Legendary Pokémon and Mythical Pokémon restrictions apply. Only Weakness Policy an the type-reducing Berries such as Yache Berry can be used. Mega Stones are also not allowed. Registration runs from July 20th to July 21st. Battles will run from July 28th to July 30th. All entrants will get the Ampharosite, Latiosite and Latiasite Mega Stones. Download Rules for this competition are now available from Festival Plaza
Edit @ 05:34: We have updated our Online Competition page with a list of all eligible Pokémon
No problem :) Any thoughts on M-Altaria?

So after these next batches all that's left will be Aggronite and Diancite.

I predict Aggron will come with the Tyranitar/Mane/Aboma bunch and Diancie with the Lopunny/Gard/Gallade squad.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No problem :) Any thoughts on M-Altaria?
I think Altaria might suffer with the Magearna and Celesteela combination in the tier right now. At least it has ways to poke at them, but I don't know if it will break a ton of ground.

I think out of this batch Latias is the winner. Altaria and Ampharos may have small niches.

I was a big fan of Mega Latias last gen, but idk how well itll do this gen tbh. Its a cool Volc check I guess (although volc can run buzz), and it still checks Keld and Char Y. But with Celes, Mag, and Gren everywhere atm, im not sure how its gonna do. We'll just have to see. Id love to hear peoples thoughts on it. As for Altaria, Its a cool offensive check to ash gren, but as stated before, steels are everywhere atm, which all can annoy it quite a bit (especially celes). I also loved using alt last gen, so id also like to hear peoples opinions.

One last thing, I heard people say Gallade might be good this gen. Can someone explain to me how it changed from last gen to make it better? Im pretty curious, these new megas could shake up the tier a bit.

I was a big fan of Mega Latias last gen, but idk how well itll do this gen tbh. Its a cool Volc check I guess (although volc can run buzz), and it still checks Keld and Char Y. But with Celes, Mag, and Gren everywhere atm, im not sure how its gonna do. We'll just have to see. Id love to hear peoples thoughts on it. As for Altaria, Its a cool offensive check to ash gren, but as stated before, steels are everywhere atm, which all can annoy it quite a bit (especially celes). I also loved using alt last gen, so id also like to hear peoples opinions.

One last thing, I heard people say Gallade might be good this gen. Can someone explain to me how it changed from last gen to make it better? Im pretty curious, these new megas could shake up the tier a bit.
About Gallade, mainly is for the new Speed Mechanic for Mega evolution this gen, putting it immediately in its good speed tier. Also, with the rise of Mew, Gallade has a great tool in its arsenal to dispose it in the form of Knock Off, allowing it OHKO Mew after a SD boost, which is a huge asset to keep itself apart from M-Medicham. Also, people says that Gallade could be great in Webs team, having that excellent offensive sinergy with Bisharp.

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 240 HP / 72+ Def Mew: 428-504 (106.7 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Gallade has the mega speed buff going for it and Mega Medicham being less dominant as it was in ORAS gives it less immediate competition.

... but on the other hand, Marshadow exists now and that thing both dumpsters and outclasses Gallade.

So Aggronite and Diancite are the ones remaining. I think Aggronite will be distributed along with Tyranitarite/Abomasnowite/Manectricite something like next week. What about Diancite ? With Ampharosite/Altarianite/Lati@site in a global distribution early September or with an event to conclude these events like Mewtwo begins them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)