Mega-Evolution

Do you like Mega-Evolution?

• Yes, I love everything about it!

Votes: 114 53.5%
  • I like the majority of the designs, I just don't like the concept.

Votes: 32 15.0%
  • I like the concept, I just don't like the majority of the designs.

Votes: 46 21.6%
  • No, I don't like Mega-Evolution very much.

Votes: 21 9.9%

• Total voters
7.8 / 10 Too many metal rings.
Design shouldn't the reason you use a Pokemon.
In competitive, yes; but outside of that there's no "you shouldn't use a pokemon because of -insert aspect-". If they don't like the design, they don't like the design - that's what most people see first and influence what they use in-game, what they use in fun battles and what become their favourites.

In competitive, yes; but outside of that there's no "you shouldn't use a pokemon because of -insert aspect-". If they don't like the design, they don't like the design - that's what most people see first and influence what they use in-game, what they use in fun battles and what become their favourites.
Maybe so, but I learn to get used to the designs, even though I am willing to acknowledge that Klefki is just some ordinary keychain. But he's still amazing with Prankster. It's just feels a bit cynical to hate on something because of its appearance. I mean, I guess there are some exceptions, but to have designs be the sole reason to dislike evolution seems a bit... dumb....

Maybe so, but I learn to get used to the designs, even though I am willing to acknowledge that Klefki is just some ordinary keychain. But he's still amazing with Prankster. It's just feels a bit cynical to hate on something because of its appearance. I mean, I guess there are some exceptions, but to have designs be the sole reason to dislike evolution seems a bit... dumb....
It's all down to opinion, and since Game Freak don't exactly give you a list of base stats, the fact you don't see the ability change all the time and you don't see any type changes without going into a menu, appearances are the first thing you see - and in fact, I'd argue Mega Evolution is largely based upon impressing with dazzling imagery and appearances. That's of course one of the advantages of a visual medium; the fact that you can experience some really great artwork and design. In addition, it's basically a super mode - much like Super Sonic of Sonic the Hedgehog, the Super Sayains of Dragon Ball Z or the numerous powered up forms from too many mech anime to list, it's got to be something that just looks impressive and imposing, and something that fits the character - if your favourite Pokémon's 'super form' lacks that little something, you can be found feeling a little... underwhelmed, even if it does perform well in battle.
Luckily I haven't really felt this way about many Megas. Aside from the Latis I feel all of them either look impressive or improve upon the design and concept in some way, even if some - Mega "Flowerbutt" Venusaur - aren't quite as obvious as some others like Lopunny or Blastoise.
tl;dr - appearance is still important, especially to casual players, tho imo none of the designs are bad except mega latis

tl;dr - appearance is still important, especially to casual players
Indeed, and apparently, this is the reason why we have no Mega Flygon as of yet. GameFreak 'confirmed' in an interview that they were originally going to implement Mega Flygon into X and Y, but they couldn't manage to create a suitable design for it. This, I find understandable, and would prefer that they spend time working on making it the best they can, rather than release it as soon as possible with all the others with a rather sub-par design with few people enjoying it; coincidentally how I prefer they would make their main-series games as well.

It's all down to opinion, and since Game Freak don't exactly give you a list of base stats, the fact you don't see the ability change all the time and you don't see any type changes without going into a menu, appearances are the first thing you see - and in fact, I'd argue Mega Evolution is largely based upon impressing with dazzling imagery and appearances. That's of course one of the advantages of a visual medium; the fact that you can experience some really great artwork and design. In addition, it's basically a super mode - much like Super Sonic of Sonic the Hedgehog, the Super Sayains of Dragon Ball Z or the numerous powered up forms from too many mech anime to list, it's got to be something that just looks impressive and imposing, and something that fits the character - if your favourite Pokémon's 'super form' lacks that little something, you can be found feeling a little... underwhelmed, even if it does perform well in battle.
Luckily I haven't really felt this way about many Megas. Aside from the Latis I feel all of them either look impressive or improve upon the design and concept in some way, even if some - Mega "Flowerbutt" Venusaur - aren't quite as obvious as some others like Lopunny or Blastoise.
tl;dr - appearance is still important, especially to casual players, tho imo none of the designs are bad except mega latis
Yeah, I think I said this earlier, but Scizor's design is a bit underwhelming. They could've made him look like a badass. And they half did that. It still looks menacing, but it has these stupid design features. He has little kid-scissor blades for hands, and he's got these weird peglegs. I was expecting more out of the inevitable Mega Scizor.

This post of mine from years ago just got liked so I decided to see what exactly it was I said.

I just love how this mechanic brings something completely new to the franchise that is also a sort of tribute to all past gens - sure Gen 5 only has Audino right now, but c'mon, come X2Y2 I'm sure we'll see the likes of Mega Volcarona creeping up - and adds a fun new dimension to competitive play. By far the damn best thing to happen to Pokémon since GSC.
Aha. Haha. AhahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAAA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)