Battle Spot [Mega Melee] Kang vs The World (5th place world-wide)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
MEGA MELEE.png

The results for the most recent Battle Spot online competition just came out and it turns out I came 5th out of 10,000+ world-wide so I figured I'd post the team I used here!

For those that don't know how the competition worked; it was 1v1 battles with 6v6 team preview, and the only pokemon allowed were ones that could mega evolve (but you didn't have to mega evolve them!). They allowed the use of Focus Sash and Z moves, and Pokemon brought up from older games through transfer were allowed (Battle Spot usually only allows mons caught/bred in Sun/Moon). Whenever transfers are allowed in these I always look first to which new move combos could be good, Seismic Toss Kangaskhan was the clear standout so I built the team around that.

~ Teambuilding Process ~

So like I said I started with the Seismic Toss Kangaskhan and added Focus Sash Sableye as another seemingly broken option that also scares out Fighting-types like Lucario and Blaziken.

Since Kang/Sableye both lost hard to Mega Heracross and Fake Out/Sub Mega Lopunny I added Mega Salamence as an option against them. I also had a really gimmicky Blaziken set I wanted to try out and thought it went well as another option against Heracross and Mawile

These four stayed in the team since it was created, but the last two slots changed a lot up until the competition started:

Moody Glalie seemed like a huge threat in this, but in practice it was impossible to set up in 1v1 because it really needs Thunder Wave support in other formats. I did try Icy Wind but it just didn't work well enough. Tyranitar was added as a bit of a joke option after talking to Ullar as a way to counter Mega Kangaskhan by using a male Ttar with Attract. While it worked perfect against Kang, it was almost useless against anything else (unless they were randomly female)

I ran into a lot of Yawn+Protect Swampert and Blastoise and liked how it worked in this, so I tried my own version of it with Rain Dance. However Mono-attacking with Waterfall sucked against resists. I also tried a Rocky Helmet Alakazam with Disable+Encore which was really funny when it worked, but that wasn't very often.

After those I ended up using these .....

In a previous 1v1 Battle Spot format I had a lot of success with Perish Song Azumarill so I wanted to try it with Altaria as it could also go offensive with its decently powerful Hyper Voice. I also really liked Sash+Counter Gengar but since I had committed to Sash Sableye I decided to try Wisp+Hex Mega Gengar as I needed another option against Iron Defense + Amnesia Mega Slowbro.

~ The Team ~

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite | Scrappy
Impish | 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Fake Out | Seismic Toss | Counter | Sucker Punch
Seismic Toss Kang is hands down the best Pokemon in this format. Unfortunately for the majority of people playing this it's really difficult to get a hold of due to being a gen 3-exclusive tutor. Being able to 2HKO the entire metagame while not being 2HKOed back by anything that isn't a Fighting-type is super broken. The EVs allow it to survive a Hyper Beam from a modest Mega Gardevoir, with the rest dumped into physical defense. I considered bumping it up enough to live a Blast Burn from modest Charizard Y but I hadn't encountered many of them in practice and I wanted the physical bulk more. Fake Out is mostly filler but I really liked using it as I think it forced people into attacking rather than boosting, which was especially important against Dragon Dance + Giga Impact Mega Salamence since it doesn't live a boosted one of those.

Sableye @ Focus Sash | Prankster
Naughty | 252 HP / 252 Atk
0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
Metal Burst | Protect | Taunt | Sucker Punch
Focus Sash should not be allowed in 1v1, but it was so I used it. There were a number of good options as Sash users (Garchomp, Mawile, Gengar, Alakazam, Blaziken, Houndoom, Swampert, basically anything with Counter and/or Mirror Coat), but because of item clause I had to choose one. Sableye and Mawile were my favourites due to Metal Burst, and Sableye won due to scaring off Fighting-types for Kang, and its access to Prankster Taunt. Protect is needed on Sash mons just for stopping Fake Out from Mega Lopunny.

Salamence @ Salamencite | Intimidate
Jolly | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Dragon Dance | Giga Impact | Substitute | Facade
Hyper Beam and its clones were really popular in this, and for good reason. There were a bunch of really good users of them, and the -ate ability users were the best. This did have Earthquake and Roost for a while but I lost to Wisp+Foul Play Mega Sableye a few times, and scouting for things like other Hyper Beams and other random stuff with Sub worked really well in practice. I chose to go with a fast spread to hopefully beat other Salamence.

Blaziken @ Weakness Policy | Speed Boost
Naughty | 44 HP / 164 Atk / 4 Def / 76 SpA / 220 Spe
Endure | Reversal | Substitute | Blast Burn
I had been memeing with a similar set in doubles paired with Tapu Lele (and Baton Pass over Blast Burn) and wanted to use it in this. It's a silly set, but it does actually work. If the foe doesn't have priority then it's going to take big damage from Reversal. The EVs allow you to Sub down to 1HP from full, OHKO Mega Heracross and Mega Mawile with Blast Burn, and outspeed base 120s. I should have dropped the speed for more power though because you do nothing to Alakazam or Mega Salamence anyway.

Altaria @ Altarianite | Cloud Nine
Quiet | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 124 Def / 100 SpA / 28 SpD
0 Spe
Hyper Voice | Perish Song | Protect | Fly
Not much to say about this, you either go for Perish Song or KO with Hyper Voice. In hindsight this was bad because I should have opted for Hyper Beam and used more bulk, as I EVed for Hyper Voice to be able to KO Garchomp and Mega Salamence. The defensive bulk was to be able to take two Poison Jabs from Garchomp (without getting poisoned) and be able to 2HKO in case of Focus Sash. Fly is there for the Perish Stalling and is mostly filler.

Gengar @ Gengarite | Cursed Body
Timid | 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Will-O-Wisp | Hex | Sludge Wave | Icy Wind
Shadow Tag is useless in 1v1 but it's essentially the same effect anyway. Status + Hex is amazing when the opponent can't escape, I did want to use Hypnosis but I opted for the better accuracy. Icy Wind was used to keep DD Mence and Lopunny in check. Hidden Power Ice had a guaranteed KO chance on offensive Mence, but since they were usually bulky and trying to DD Icy Wind seemed better. The EVs outspeed jolly Mega Mence so I could have some extra bulk.

~ The Competition ~

During practice on Showdown I used nearly everything on the team an even amount, and I felt I had something nice and balanced. However in the actual competition it was all Kangaskhan... I ended up going 31-6 for 1804 points, and Kang alone went 22-1! I kept track of my games as I went and this is how it looked:

mega melee game tracker.png

As you can see, Sableye was no slouch either, going 8-2. It should have gone undefeated, I misplayed against Aggron by not Protecting turn 1 (fearing Z Head Smash) and then got haxed against a Mega Mawile. Altaria was really unlucky in its fight against a Mega Venusaur too. If you take those unfortunate losses out I could have been much closer to 1st in the world but alas.

~ Pokemon Global Link Proof ~

mega melee score.png

mega melee team.png

That's basically it! I wanna give a shoutout to LegoFigure11 for getting me some of the mons, NOVED for also piloting the team on his stream, and Ullar for all his sick ideas in the #mega_melee discord <3

Replays:

vs

KP8G-WWWW-WWW9-X4QR
bit of a fun one. kinda thought I was going to lose but realised Kang is too good

vs

DSLG-WWWW-WWW9-X4R9
Have to admit this made me sweat because I hadn't done calcs, turns out Kang is still broken

vs

Q9AW-WWWW-WWW9-X4RV
How to lose to Mawile 101

removed :(

vs

QTJG-WWWW-WWW9-X4SA
Kang is so fat

Importable: http://pokepast.es/71ec6e1bd0e2e80e

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
BONUS CONTENT!!

here's the meme team I used on PS to actually decent success when just messing around. Some people saw me using it and may be wondering why I didn't bring it to the actual competition
The idea was to build around transfer mons because like I said in the OP I like using those in these comps. After adding he first 4 I noticed I auto-lost to Mega Slowbro so I added Grassium Z Blaze in an effort to try and bait it out when my opponent had it. Then I wanted another special attacker that didn't scare Slowbro away

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite | Early Bird
Impish | 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Mud Slap | Toxic | Wish | Protect

This was legal on Showdown despite being essentially non-existent in real life because of how the Wish event was obtained back in 2004, and anyone using one these days is just asking for a callout by Verlisify. This is the biggest reason for not using this team even though I could have just used a Seismic Toss Kang instead. Anyway on Showdown it was pretty funny. Parental Bond Mud Slap = Minimize, then you stall with WishProtect after you get a Toxic on them.

Glalie @ Glalitite | Inner Focus
Jolly | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Double-Edge | Earthquake | Ice Shard | Facade

Purely because Double-Edge isn't available in regular BSS

Altaria @ Altarianite | Natural Cure
Adamant | 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Double Edge | Earthquake | Dragon Dance | Roost

Same

Gengar @ Focus Sash | Cursed Body
Hasty | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
0 Def
Counter | Icy Wind | Shadow Ball | Sludge Bomb

Sash Counter is really sick, and Icy Wind is cool too. Swapping Shadow Ball for Hex and Sludge Bomb for Hypnosis is also fun

Blaziken @ Grassium Z | Speed Boost
Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Protect | Solar Beam | Fire Blast | Focus Blast

Literally just a Mega Slowbro counter

or

Blastoise @ Waterium Z / Blastoisinite | Torrent
Modest | 252 HP / 4 Def | 252 SpA
Fake Out | Hydro Cannon | Ice Beam | filler

cool nuke mon. has plenty of filler options; Mirror Coat, Yawn (with Protect over Fake Out), and Aqua Jet on the non-mega set, and Aura Sphere or Dark Pulse on the Mega set. Personally I prefer the mega with Aura Sphere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)