Online Competition Mega Melee

How do you pick what to use in the battle? From all the games I've watched it seems like a total crapshoot, pick whatever and hope you didn't get counterpicked.

Someone explain why I'm wrong, thanks.

Funbro's Revenge (Slowbro) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Own Tempo -> Shell Armor
Sassy Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Amnesia
- Rest
- Withdraw
- Light Screen (for special attackers) / Growl (for physical attackers) / Mud-Slap (for Taunt users)
Or you could, you know, run Iron Defense over withdraw and run scald for an attacking move...

How do you pick what to use in the battle? From all the games I've watched it seems like a total crapshoot, pick whatever and hope you didn't get counterpicked.

I haven't tried this Meta specifically, but in Flash Clash, Team Preview was super important. See which of your Pokemon can defeat most of your opponent's Pokemon, while also trying to figure out which of their Pokemon might best defeat most of your Pokemon. From there, you can narrow it down. There's still some luck involved, but it reduces the luck significantly.

I haven't tried this Meta specifically, but in Flash Clash, Team Preview was super important. See which of your Pokemon can defeat most of your opponent's Pokemon, while also trying to figure out which of their Pokemon might best defeat most of your Pokemon. From there, you can narrow it down. There's still some luck involved, but it reduces the luck significantly.
Hm, then if you're both doing that, they can see what you have that beats most of their team, and then they pick whats most likely to beat that. You, knowing this, instead pick the counterpick to their counterpick. Then they, knowing this, decide to go with something else.

Maybe you're just better off rolling a dice, at least youre unpredictable.

im new to this site, so sorry for my newbish moveset posting

Slobro: item: Slobronite

MOVES\/
fissure
slack off
anmesia
Flamethrower/fire blast

ev's mostly spent on defense and sp. def, wit the last 6 on hp/sp atk

and either the defense up-lower atk

or

sp, def UP- lower atk nature's

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

The real play clearly is to use only one Pokemon to bait out the things that beat it, only to have the ultimate counter move. I'm thinking of something like Z Solar Beam Blaziken to bait Slowbro out. Then you don't have to predict ever lol

Anyway; http://pokepast.es/e8f2b15a20dc722f <- this is what I've been using so far to some decent success. kang is probably S tier in this, I choose it pretty much all the time. sableye is fun too, people sometimes play around it with weaker moves to not die to a metal burst, and then they get bopped by fully invested sucker punch. I do miss toxic on the set though. blaziken is the most fun to use though, +2 reversal does insane damage, but it's a little tricky to use because fighting/fire coverage doesn't hit a lot of stuff in this. the last two slots in the team have been changing a fair bit, at the moment I've got a rocky helmet Alakazam that was suggested to me a long time ago for use in the battle maison, and a yawn + rain dance swampert. might be better to drop rain dance for coverage though ...

also all my mons are male because Ullar has been using a male Tyranitar with Attract to counter Kangaskhan. I actually ran into him on the ladder right after making the change so that was funny.

Make a good team to counter as much as you can, go for strategic not brute force. Make it almost impossible to get counter picked and make sure that even if you do, you can still handle it with a pokemon that the opposing pokemon isn't super effective on (or you can make it dies from recoil then regen).

Destiny bond or disabling a super effective move works well too

you could try to snatch a move that would take down the other pokemon, like snatching outrage against dragonite or brave bird against murkrow and beak blast on toucannon

Last edited by a moderator:
If Destiny Bond causes a double KO, the Destiny Bond user loses. That move is absolutely never worthwhile for anything here.

Snatch does not steal damaging moves, only self-targeting moves (mostly setup/recovery). To get the equivalent that "steals" damaging moves, you need to use Me First (which unlike Snatch, doesn't have priority, and still allows them to use the move if they're still alive after you're done using your version). The only legal Me First users in the tier are Slowbro, Pinsir, Absol, and Lucario, none of which are really fast enough to guarantee outspeeding pretty much everything--which they would need because Me First straight-up fails if you're slower than the opponent.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
also all my mons are male because Ullar has been using a male Tyranitar with Attract to counter Kangaskhan. I actually ran into him on the ladder right after making the change so that was funny.
Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Counter / Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Attract
- Rock Slide

i swear by it and make others swear with it

The only legal Me First users in the tier are Slowbro, Pinsir, Absol, and Lucario, none of which are really fast enough to guarantee outspeeding pretty much everything--which they would need because Me First straight-up fails if you're slower than the opponent.
Well, Mega Lucario is fast enough to use Me First with a low chance of failing. Not that it should, though. It lacks room for such a move.

So,
Let's say you have 6 solid mons, always decide on the team preview what to use and consistently over guess or under guess.
Of the 2 solutions I'm coming up with, you can play a defensively aimed set of things, or continuously pick one Mon and hope someone guesses bad. Is that unreasonable?

I mean, fake out makes sash users cry, plenty of ppl will be metagaming Khan, but each match is one ko and done, so I can forsee an easy pattern of over thinking.

dragonite isn't even allowed in Mega Melee...
U get wut i mean

If Destiny Bond causes a double KO, the Destiny Bond user loses. That move is absolutely never worthwhile for anything here.

Snatch does not steal damaging moves, only self-targeting moves (mostly setup/recovery). To get the equivalent that "steals" damaging moves, you need to use Me First (which unlike Snatch, doesn't have priority, and still allows them to use the move if they're still alive after you're done using your version). The only legal Me First users in the tier are Slowbro, Pinsir, Absol, and Lucario, none of which are really fast enough to guarantee outspeeding pretty much everything--which they would need because Me First straight-up fails if you're slower than the opponent.
it is worth it, if there is a pokemon that will defintiely sweep ur team like tail glow manaphy u can destiny bond it

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably the 3 best pokemon for this format are Sableye, Mega Blastoise and Mega Kangaskhan. Metal Burst Sableye is incredibly good, Mega Blastoise is able to withstand 2 hits as a minimum and thanks to its great coverage (Dark Pulse, Ice Beam and Hydro Pulse mainly) with Yawn, is able to win the great majority of the metagame. For its part Kangas can deal with many pokemon thanks to its bulk and to Fake Out + Seismic Toss + Sucker Punch (Counter seems to me very good option too).

Mega Charizard Y with Substitute can deal with all these Sableyes and HP Ice is 1HKO to Chomp and Mence. Very interesting mon too.
Though chomp and mence is capable ohkoing Zard before it can retaliate.

I've been testing out Mega Pinsir in this format, and its been quite strong. While it may seem inferior to Mega-Salamence, it can handle Slowbro, Aggron, and Tyranitar much better.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker/Hyper Cutter
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat/Earthquake
- Giga Impact
- Quick Attack/X-Scissors
- Swords Dance

Giga Impact is incredibly powerful, koing threats like Charizard and Venusaur. Close Combats ohkoes Tyranitar, while Earthquakes hits Mawile and Metagross, the ability to OHKO Tyranitar will be missed. Quick Attack prevents Blaziken from KOing, but X-Scissors should be run if Mega Slowbro is a Problem. Swords Dance boosts your attack. Mold Breaker allows you to OHKO Aggron through sturdy, while Hyper Cutter blocks intimidate. Its best run with EQ so Mawile won't wall you.

Calcs: 252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 224-264 (128 - 150.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 160-189 (104.5 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 214-253 (139.8 - 165.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan-Mega: 175-207 (97.2 - 115%) -
87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Giga Impact vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 211-250 (123.3 - 146.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Giga Impact vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados-Mega: 163-193 (95.3 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados-Mega: 146-172 (85.3 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 162-192 (103.1 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Defensive:
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pinsir-Mega: 109-129 (77.8 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I've been testing out Mega Pinsir in this format, and its been quite strong. While it may seem inferior to Mega-Salamence, it can handle Slowbro, Aggron, and Tyranitar much better.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker/Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat/Earthquake
- Giga Impact
- Quick Attack/X-Scissors
- Swords Dance

Giga Impact is incredibly powerful, koing threats like Charizard and Venusaur. Close Combats ohkoes Tyranitar, while Earthquakes hits Mawile and Metagross, the ability to OHKO Tyranitar will be missed. Quick Attack prevents Blaziken from KOing, but X-Scissors should be run if Mega Slowbro is a Problem. Swords Dance boosts your attack. Mold Breaker allows you to OHKO Aggron through sturdy, while Hyper Cutter blocks intimidate. Its best run with EQ so Mawile won't wall you.

Calcs: 252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 224-264 (128 - 150.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 160-189 (104.5 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 214-253 (139.8 - 165.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan-Mega: 175-207 (97.2 - 115%) -
87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Giga Impact vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 211-250 (123.3 - 146.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Giga Impact vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados-Mega: 163-193 (95.3 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados-Mega: 146-172 (85.3 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 162-192 (103.1 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Defensive:
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pinsir-Mega: 109-129 (77.8 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I was wondering if Feint might have any use? It's weaker than Quick Attack, but can screw over anyone reliant on Protect, and can bypass Sucker Punch (though SP users aren't weak to Flying at all so it'll just do chip damage).

I was wondering if Feint might have any use? It's weaker than Quick Attack, but can screw over anyone reliant on Protect, and can bypass Sucker Punch (though SP users aren't weak to Flying at all so it'll just do chip damage).
Maybe. Though Feint is more of a double move than a single move.

Lets talk about the dankest of memes.

Blastoise @ Waterium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Yawn
- Protect
- Hydro Cannon
- Fake Out

This blastoise set is capable of singlehandedly winning games at team preview. I'm sure we've all seen it in some varient, or maybe a swampert set running the same idea.
BUT LET ME TELL YALL WHY THIS BLASTOISE IS THE GOAT

We got Fake Out turn 1 to break sashes from mawile and sableye fuckers as well as protect turn 1 to block faster fake outs (Lopunny, Kangaskhan, other blastoise varients?)
Turn 2 go for that yawn. Very few things OHKO (Honestly I've yet to really go for specifics in EVs but you get the point.)
Turn 3 hit them up with that P R O T E C T.
Now your opponent sleepin' and you can bring the pain.
Z Hydro Cannon base power is 200, with stab thats base 300, not even considering Torrent.

You also are not forced to recharge after using z hydro cannon, meaning you can bring that hurt more times than hurricanes can form in the Atlantic Ocean.
This 2HKOs anything that isn't a bulky mon that also resists it (your options are limited to slowbro, venusaur, and of course, blastoise.)

Basic Calcs:
252+ SpA Blastoise Hydro Vortex (200 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 160-190 (86.9 - 103.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
2HKO garunteed after Z move + normal cannon, or if in torrent range.

252+ SpA Blastoise Hydro Vortex (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Swampert-Mega: 129-153 (73.7 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Blastoise Hydro Vortex (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Glalie: 169-201 (109 - 129.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Heracross-Mega Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Blastoise: 155-185 (83.3 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Blastoise Hydro Vortex (200 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Heracross-Mega: 135-160 (86.5 - 102.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
(Roughly 50% chance to KO after a min roll fake out)

252+ SpA Torrent Blastoise Hydro Vortex (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kangaskhan-Mega: 211-250 (99.5 - 117.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
(OHKO if you get a turn 1 fake out, but since its kangaskhan, prolly not.)

How are you expecting to break a Sableye's Sash with Fake Out? Blastoise isn't Kangaskhan or M-Lopunny.

Also, as a reminder, the battling window is now open.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Played most of my day 1 games, went undefeated with Kangaskhan, then decided to not bring Kang in the last two and lost. I think Kang is the play guys

yeah I take notes on notepad...

really unhappy about those last two, missed wisp vs Ttar (not that it mattered) and ran into the one Toxic Aggron in existence. since these games go so quick I might wait until later when people have higher ranks so losing doesn't hurt you so much.

Day 1: 14-1

My only loss was due to me forgetting that the format was 1v1, my M-Altaria could have gotten the 2hko against a Garchomp running iron head but turn 2 my mind pulled some fuckery & I used cotton guard thinking my opponent was going to switch out but of course that's not possible as this is 1v1, leading to the 3hko against my cotton goddess. I failed my Mega Pillowpet during that match but ultimately she won me 11 out 15 matches, never realized how dominate Altaria could be.

I thought about using a Garchomp for this:

Garchomp (F) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Dragon Dance

Rock-Z is there to handle both Charizards even if they go for protect (and the flinch chance is nice too), DD is for boosting up in case of obvious t1 protect (looking at you, Blaziken), Rough Skin is to make Kang pay, singles + lack of fairy threats means I can cut loose with Outrage and possibly force a double protect play, and Earthquake remains the gold standard of physical attacks with perfect accuracy and the all-important lack of contact that could trigger all sorts of nasty hax. Bulky waters like Gymbruh Swampert and Beyblade Slowbro won't have much to fear from it and hit back with ice, though, so I was thinking of running it alongside Mega Venusaur since I'm thinking a lot of chomps will be running around without mega stones. This also ties into the decision to run Jolly...to ensure I outpace frail but adamant mirror matches, all Charizard and Mega Gardevoir variants, and Mega Blaziken, though +1 Mega Sharpedo still beats it. In case of Sharpedo, the play is to pop Continental Crush right away, though the 10% miss chance on Play Rough is the only chance it's got against Mega Mawile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)