Mega Software Thread

These are the software threads from the now disbanded Face of Smogon forum. Most of the lists are pretty small, so feel free to supply more alternatives if you have a "tried and true" suggestion. Be sure to check out the ones already offered though, chances are they actually are better than what you are using right now.

Remember to read the Rules if you haven't already. Smogon does not condone piracy and similar acts!

We really suggest you only post freeware, nobody is really willing to cough up money for software.

1. Media Players

Foobar2000 (Windows, Free)
Great music player, doesn't hog a ton of memory like iTunes, and it's also very easy to use. -Noobster

VLC Media Player (Windows, Free)
A great media player that accepts practicly any file format, is easy to use, and receives great critics. -Norulz

2. Downloading/Torrent

uTorrent (Windows, Free)
My BitTorrent client of choice, it has generally robust features and doesn't use a lot of memory. The executable is very small and doesn't require installation so it's easy to start using. - SSBM roy

DownThemAll (Multiplatform, Free)
A Firefox extension that supports mass downloading groups of files on a page through customizable filters and splits files for faster downloads. I've seen notably increased speeds using this compared to an ordinary download. - SSBM roy

Free Download Manager (Windows, Free)
Easily the best download manager. Easy to use, fast and light on hard drive. Can be used to download from HTTP/S, FTP servers and also has BitTorrent support. The best thing about this is, there is an opinion section of files, opinions contributed by other users. So you can check before you download whether the software is safe or not. Get it! - CrabNebula

GetRight (Windows, Free/Pay)
Same as Free Download Manager. Also has BitTorrent support. But it is trialware. So if you dislike Free Download Manager for some reason, this is for you! - CrabNebula

FlashGet (Windows, Free)
A leading download manager which supports many protocols. It also includes ed2k (eMule) functions, so you can download torrents as well. You can customize it to your liking, and even use it for downloading from popular download sites such as RapidShare, MegaUpload and FlashGet. If you have any type of account with the download sites, you may also use the login feature provided by FlashGet to download with your account. Say goodbye to your browser's download, and welcome FlashGet downloads. You may also run this program in the background, and it'll still download files, like in Limewire. - Faltzer

Azureus (Cross-platform, Free/Open-source)
BitTorrent client with many, many features, highly customizable interface and useful plugins. However, because it's cross-platform, it can't be as light and fast as other clients. My second choice, after uTorrent. -Wizard

3. Anti-Virus

Avast! (Windows, Free/Pay)
Great antivirus program. I suggest using it in tandem with Spybot. -Sanders

AVG Antivirus (Windows, Free/Pay)
On par with Avast and one of the best. Advantage this has over the other Antivirus softwares is that this takes very low system resources. -CrabNebula

NOD32 (Windows, Pay)
Awesome. If you have the money, get it. Small footprint and amazing security. -Sanders

ZoneAlarm Antivirus (Windows, Trial/Pay)
One of the best Antivirus software out there. Its decently fast and has a good database of viruses. It doesn't take up much hard drive space either, though while scanning it might eat your memory. Also frequently updated and while you are in the 15 day trial period, the updates are also free. -CrabNebula

4. Spyware Removal & Protection

Ad-Aware (Windows, Free)
Catches more of the lower-level threats than Spybot, I've found; works great with it. -Obi

Spybot - Search & Destroy (Windows/Linux using Wine, Free)
One of the best, if not the best spyware remover out there, it's free and the scans are fairly quick. Highly recommended as it does a great job of cleaning your computer! -Noobster

SpywareBlaster (Windows, Free)
This software doesn't scan for or remove spyware but prevents infections in the first place. Using it is as simple as turning on protection and occasionally checking updates. -SSBM roy

STOPZilla (Windows, $20)
Scans for free, but requires purchase/registration to delete/quarantine files. Award-winning, quickly updating, free email/phone hotline help. If you're willing to shell out, definitely a good purchase. -Basics

Spyware Doctor (Windows, Trial/Pay $50)
At $50 this is probably the most expensive piece of stand-alone anti-spyware, but it has been reviewed as the most effective at detection on numerous websites. A trial version is available which can't remove spyware (it only detects)

Windows Defender (Windows, Free)
Very quick scans, pretty good at detecting most stuff. Works great with Ad-Aware or SpyBot. Both of them if you're really paranoid. -Hazerider

5. Chatting and IM

Adium (Mac, Free)
The best multi-protocol IM client for Mac I've come across. -Sanders

Pidgin (Windows/Linux, open source)
Formerly known as GAIM (until America Online got uppity and told them to change it). A small, free multi-protocol IM client. Keeps all your GAIM settings (on windows anyway) if you install it while GAIM is installed, which I thought was nice. Universal IM client like Trillian. -Vagabond Aeon

mIRC (Windows, Free/Pay)
Everyone's favourite for IRC. Easy to use and has some advance features. With practice you will get used to using it easily and efficiently. - CrabNebula

XChat (Multiplatform, Free)
Sweet and simple. If you dislike mIRC for some reason, use this. XChat has a simple interface and fairly customizable. - CrabNebula

Trillian (Windows, Free/Pay) (Cost: $30)
Universal IM client, supports AIM, YIM, MSN, IRC, ICQ. Pro version also contains support for Jabber. - Kikuichimonji

6. FTP

FileZilla (Windows, Free)
Awesome FTP client. After using SmartFTP, CuteFTP and numerous others, this one came out on top. -Sanders

7. Burning

CDBurnerXP Pro (Windows, Free)
Nero alternative. Works awesome. -Sanders

DeepBurner (Windows, Free)
What I said before. -Sanders

FireStarter FX (Mac, Free)
Great burning application for Mac, with tons of functionality. -Sanders

Nero (Windows, Trial/Pay)
This is probably the best burning software out there. It can automatically convert mp3s to wavs for burning music CDs. It can do any sort of burning operation that you could ever think of. -Justin8649

Alcohol 120% (Windows, Trial/Pay) (Cost: $38)
Image ripping/burning software, also supports image mounting. Required to burn/mount proprietary .mds/.mdf format, also supports .bin/.cue, .iso, and .ccd formats and can burn/mount .nrg formats - Kikuichimonji

8. Ripping

EAC (Windows, Free)
Produces perfect rips of CDs by doing multiple passes. -Sanders

Max (Mac, Free)
Runs on the same principal as EAC, instead using the cdparanoia engine. -Sanders

Alcohol 120% (Windows, Trial/Pay) (Cost: $38)
Creates disk images, also supports burning and mounting. Creates disks with formats .bin/.cue, .iso, .ccd, and proprietary .mdf/.mds - Kikuichimonji

Sorry if I am supposed to private message these, but anyway
1) Media Player
KMPlayer http://imgcdn.pandora.tv/pan_img/KMP/Download/kmp.exe
This media player is MUCH sleeker and prettier than VLC or Media Player Classic, but also offers a ridiculous variety of intricate options, such as great screen capturing and various screen mode arrangements.

I also do not see why Media Player Classic is not listed, as it is still better than VLC!!

2) Anti-Virus
Clam Win http://www.clamwin.com/
'free open source GPL anti-virus' pretty much says it all; it is not nicer than professional ones, but it is just as good as any of the other free ones proffered.

KVIrc (Cross Platform, Free)
A cross platform IRC client released under the GPL. Unlike XChat, it can tile multiple channel views in a single window, and it also has its own scripting language. I've only used the Linux version, but it could be nice for Windows users who would rather use a free / open source client than fiddle with nag screens in mIRC.

Deluge (Cross Platform, Free)
A cross platform Torrent client released under the GPL. It's simple and functional, with a similar interface to uTorrent, making it a solid free / open source alternative.

Mozilla Firefox 3 RC1 (Cross Platform, Free/Open Source)
The latest installment from the Firefox Family. This browser is a lot faster, especially with JS/AJAX intensive sites like Gmail. Another high point is that if you have up to 5 tabs open, then you can "save all tabs", meaning that when you restart next, the tabs will be opened as they are, with the session information intact. It is really stable inspite of being a release candidate, so don't let that put you off unless you run a lot of extensions, since not a lot of extensions have been ported to FF3 yet.

for video

windows media player classic

one of the lightest video players made. i prefer it to vlc.

antivirus

avast was already mentioned so i don't have to link you to their site. install and say yes when it asks if you want to do a boot scan on the next reboot. do not reboot yet though. finish installing it and open the program. it'll ask for a license key so register, give it your email and you will be sent the key. copy and paste the key in. it'll then scan your memory. when it's done, the interface will pop up. you'll want to click the lightning bolt on the left side. this will update avast. after that reboot and it'll scan for viruses before windows starts up. this takes longer if you have more viruses and files on your computer so be patient. when/if it finds them it will ask you what you want to do. always choose "delete"

ccleaner

ccleaner deletes unneeded or unused files, corrupt registry entries, etc.

download it from the site. after that, run it and click registry and choose "scan for issues". when the scan is 100% done, click "fix selected issues". do the registry scan over and over until there aren't any issues left.

4.) Spyware Removal & Protection

Malwarebytes (Windows, Free/Pay)
Mal/Spyware removal program with full scan and quick scan options. Recommended by cnet it has gotten rid of several spyware/malware problems on my pc in the past that my anti-virus and windows defender couldn't handle. Has a fully functional free version and the option to purchase an upgrade to the full version.

VLC Media Player is multiplatform, and XLD beats Max by a long shot as agreed by many for ripping CDs and obtaining perfect logs. As for chatting, why is Colloquy not mentioned? It is the best client for the Mac. And for a torrent client on the mac, Transmission the best. It is easy to utilize, creates special torrents for you, you can create a workflow, and you can also select the specific files you want to download.

Some fun stuff:

XaoS Interactive fractal explorer. There are better programs for rendering, but XaoS wins for being able to zoom in and out smoothly in real time

Celestia Think 'Google Space' and you'll probably have the right idea (though Celestia is not made by Google). The controls take a bit of learning, but you can go just about anywhere. Want to see the sun rise over the rings of Saturn? Easy. Want to speed up time and watch the planets orbit the Sun? Check. Want to travel to Betelgeuse, Sirius, pretty much any known star? Check. Want to reverse at millions of light-years per second, watching the solar system, stars, the Milky Way and even all known galaxies recede into the distance? Yeah, you get the idea.

There's only one thing I'd ever use for ripping images:

ImgBurn (Windows/Linux via WINE, Free)
Image ripping/burning software. Supports many formats including BIN, CUE, DI, DVD, GI, IMG, ISO, MDS, NRG and PDI. Can also burn audio CDs and DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray video discs. Highly configurable.

The System Rescue CD. Probably the most important disk I own (and I work as an IT Technician). Includes a GUI though it doesn't load it by default.

Among the things you can do with it:

* Reset Windows passwords - very handy. Can probably reset OSX and Linux passwords too.
* Disk imaging.
* 'Offline' virus scanning, to detect malware that hides from normal virus scanners or interferes with their operation.
* Fix an unbootable operating system.
* Copy data from a hard drive when Windows won't boot.
* Recover deleted files.
* Recover data from a corrupted filesystem.
* Permanently delete files you don't want recovered. (Even when you empty the Recycle Bin, or even format your hard drive, your deleted files probably CAN still be read).
* Browse the web (to find out how to fix your problem, or just take a break from the stress of computers).
* Compile and use software not present on the disk.

I don't think it includes Java, so you may have to do a bit of faffing if you want to get Shoddy to work ;-)

On the topic of data recovery:

Foremost, Scalpel, and PhotoRec are all effective 'last resort' data recovery programs. (Despite its name, PhotoRec now recovers many file types, not just photos). Foremost and PhotoRec are present on the SystemRescueCD (I'm not sure Scalpel is). If your data can be recovered, these programs can probably do it - even if the filesystem has been formatted or otherwise trashed. (Exceptions are if the disk was encrypted, fully wiped, or you have very obscure file types). No fancy GUIs, they won't get the filenames, and they may produce 'false positives' (which will manifest as corrupt files). But any data is better than no data.
Here is a tutorial on using two of the programs - it's written for Ubuntu, but is generally applicable to all Linux systems.

When using these, note that Office 2007 and all OpenOffice files are in fact zip files, and will often return as such. You will have to check the contents (what file type they are is usually obvious) and rename them appropriately.

Ext3grep. Undelete files from an ext3 partition (a common default on Linux systems).

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
Virtual Dub Mod
Resizes videos and has bunch of video filters
VirtualDubMod is based on the famous video editing software VirtualDub by Avery Lee. Born as a unification of several existing modifications, a lot of new features have been added, including support for the matroska container format.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned these two programs...

The GIMP, or the GNU Image Manipulation Program, is a free, Open Source alternative to Raster Image Editors such as Photoshop. What is commonly not known, however, is that The GIMP is actually superior in many areas to Photoshop, such as their selection tool. Not to mention that it uses a lot less memory/resources, and as such, can be ran on virtually anything.

Inkscape, is a free, Open Source alternative to Vector Image Editors such as Illustrator. It saves images in the more openly supported .svg format, as opposed to Illustrator's default behavior of saving as a .ai file, and it has key features that Illustrator has, such as auto tracing of bitmaps, exporting to a bitmap image format, and more.

ccleaner

ccleaner deletes unneeded or unused files, corrupt registry entries, etc.

download it from the site. after that, run it and click registry and choose "scan for issues". when the scan is 100% done, click "fix selected issues". do the registry scan over and over until there aren't any issues left.
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

This is by the same developers as ccleaner; for some reason the default Windows defragmenter didn't do shit, so I downloaded this and ran it, and I freed up over a gig of hard drive.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
If you have a mac, you probably know what a pain in the ass it is not having mspaint.
Paintbrush been a pretty good replacement as far as I'm concerned, and I like the layout of the colour selection more (Crayons!).

HydraIRC (Free O-S)

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned. Open source, customizable, the whole lot. I haven't used mIRC or the others a whole lot but this takes almost zero resources (3kb in memory). I use it for just about everything requiring IRC chats.

A-squared/Emsisoft (Free + Trialware versions)

NOD32 was already taken. Definitely worth the cash if you can afford it. Has a decent sized footprint (takes 14 kb on memory) but has a great virus database. Detects many things that even I'm unsure of. lol

Skype (Free)

Video conferencing, calling, IM and the whole shabang. Definitely check it out if you need something that takes almost no resources for video chat and voice chat. I'm sure most know about this one though.

My recommendations:

http://www.foobar2000.org/In addition to foobar2000,

Combined Community Codec Pack
(Windows, Free)
I highly DISCOURAGE the usage of VLC Media Player, for a variety of reasons, a few of which are that VLC does not play nice with subtitles, does not render AVC video properly, and does not use external codecs. Basically, it's not friendly, and it kills the video quality. On the other hand, CCCP was built around external codecs such as ffdshow that are highly customizable.
PS It was also made specifically for anime, so if you watch that you must use this. No exceptions.
If you are on linux, try mplayer, which should be available through your default repos.

KeepVid (Free website)

A better alternative for ripping videos from websites such as Youtube or Vimeo. Allows the user to choose between high quality MP4s to low quality FLV.

NOD32 is the best antivirus to pay for, hands down. If you're not paying I recommend Avira, already posted in this thread.

HijackThis!
(Windows, Free)
The anti-malware software for experts. Guide here, DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES unless you are sure you know what you are doing!

IE-SPYAD (Windows, Free)
With the use of ZonedOut software, IE-SPYAD allows for the entry of over 1,000 malware and foistware sites to the Windows HOSTS file, which blocks them and reroutes them to the localhost at 127.0.0.1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)