Battle Spot Mega Tyranitar Bulky Offense

Luthier

Don’t get mad, get even.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Mega Tyranitar & Marowak Bulky Offense

Hey guys! Basically this is my first RMT and I made the team with my tutor for BSS, cant say. I wanted to try something that’s not the commonly used in the current meta, so I tried to build a DD Mega Tyranitar team since it effectively deals with things like mence, which meme’ed me beyond belief in previous games. I got the idea by browsing through usage stats and also playing around with a random team that I happened to try out from OU. Mega TTar is pretty solid in OU, and hits almost everything in the meta like a truck at +1. At the same time, we stumbled upon Alolan Marowak and we realised that it was quite anti-meta, being able to take on things like Mega Blaziken, Thundurus-T, Volcarona, Ferrothorn, Aegislash, and a bunch of other relevant threats, and forms a decent core with Tyranitar. So, without further ado, here is my team.

Teambuilding Process:

So, I started off with the standard Tyranitar spread. Jolly max speed and attack. However, I wanted to make sure that I had proper coverage for the mons that usually prevent it from sweeping. So, I added things like Fire Punch for Ferrothorn and Ice Punch stuff like mence and Landorus-T. And of course, I kept a slot for Stone Edge for STAB. Keeping that in mind, I also needed to have a way to pivot into a mon when a threat comes out that TTar couldn’t take care of. The mons that deal the most with TTar are water type mons like Primarina and Tapu Fini. So, I decided to add a Ferrothorn to keep those in check.

Before it got too far out of hand, I made sure to find a check for Blaziken. Mega Salamence as an alternate mega option is probably one of the best ways to deal with Blaziken since it can create its own offensive presence while at the same time firing off an intimidate and then setting up with a SubDD set.

We added Primarina simply because it was another Blaziken check. We didn’t want to be forced to bring Salamence every single time and then risk it having HP ice in the back to give us a hard time. However, we simply didn’t want it to just bring a mon and then switch out again. We wanted something that can stay in and then hit like a truck.

At this point, realized that we lose all 4 of the mons to NP All out Pummeling Thundurus-T. After some thought, we figured that Alolan Marowak could be a great way to stop that threat. It deals with the Fighting-types, sucks up the T-Bolts, and then also resists the HP ice. For the Excadrill, we wanted to fool the opponent into thinking that the team was Sand Rush Excadrill with a sand offense as a core. However, chose the Assault Vest set to help against special attackers and complement Ferrothorn’s physical bulk.

The Team:

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite | Sand Stream
Jolly | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 244 Spe
Dance Dance
Stone Edge
Ice Punch
Fire Punch

Usually this mon can take a hit and still be able to set up. For example, this mon can take an Earthquake from a Landorus-T and then still Dragon Dance up and kill next turn with Ice Punch. The goal of the mon is to be able to have other mons deal a little chip to stubborn mons such as Celesteela and then have a back pocket sweeper after everyone has taken some chip. The coverage with Ice and Fire Punch bops things like Ferrothorn, Salamence, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Thundurus-T. The Stone Edge at +1 is also a threat if the opponents do not play around it carefully.

+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 135-160 (76.7 - 90.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

If given slight damage on certain mons, Tyranitar can pull a sweep out of nowhere.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers | Iron Barbs
Relaxed | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Gyro Ball
Bullet Seed
Stealth Rock
Leech Seed

Ferrothorn is one of the coolest complements to Tyranitar since not only does it provide for a clean pivot against annoying fairy types, but it can also create the needed chip on a mon that can provide you the win. It gets up rocks and deals with things like Metagross which is probably one of the most annoying mons for Tyranitar to deal with if it isn’t already at +1. On the same note, the needed chip on mons come from its ability Iron Barbs which can cause the difference between a mon living a hit or a mon fainting.

Ex: +1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 108-128 (69.6 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Chip from Iron Barbs and then damage from rocks, after switching out once, Metagross takes enough damage to where its HP would fall in the range of Tyranitar’s Fire Punch. Make sure to keep this calc in mind because it is very useful when you have something like Ferrothorn to put in some work on mons. Another key part of this mon is Leech Seed, which provides yet another way to take some chip at mons.

If rocks are already up, pushing out a leech seed can put a mon at 75 percent instantly just during the turn it switches if 12.5 percent from rocks and then the same from the seed, which again adds to the strength of Tyranitar’s sweep.

Salamence @ Salamencite | Intimidate
Adamant | 244 HP / 44 Atk / 4 Def / 132 SpD / 84 Spe
Dragon Dance
Return
Roost
Substitute

Salamence is our anti-Blaziken mega and just generally good option if the other team has plenty of answers to Tyranitar. The spread is designed to tank hits and ease setting up, the most notable calc being:

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 244 HP / 132 SpD Mega Salamence: 168-200 (83.5 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The spread lets the Salamence boost up on a modest scarf Lele and then KO it the turn after. The speed also speed creeps a timid Nidoking and a modest specs Hydreigon, which are some really important benchmarks to keep in mind for this team. Mono-attacking SubRoost was chosen as it has a much easier time setting up and doesn’t miss the coverage when it’s spamming +3 (or more) Return.

Primarina @ Choice Specs | Torrent
Modest | 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Sparkling Aria
Moonblast
Hidden Power
Psychic

Primarina was originally intended to be another way to stop Blaziken. But we decided to not make it a super bulky set and then make it the offensive specs set. When you look at the usage statistics, the first time you can come across a mon that can take a hit is Ferrothorn at number 12. However, we run HP Fire for coverage on that to make sure that not much can come in on it. Then, you scroll a bit further down to find Celesteela. What most people don’t understand is that this mon still 2 hit KO’s.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Sparkling Aria vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 88-105 (43.1 - 51.4%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I think that this mon’s firepower is severely underrated in the meta. The only mon that can truly stop it is probably Chansey because… you know. Chansey is fat. Although I originally thought to have this mon as a Z move user, I decided not to and keep it as specs because I wanted to provide a constant force rather than have a burst of power and then have average firepower. The constant power that specs throws off is, in my opinion, better than that of a Z move.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club | Lightning Rod
Adamant | 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Bone
Bonemerang
Fire Punch

As I previously said, at this point in my teambuilding, we knew that I would insta lose to NP Thundurus-T. This mon basically removes that threat from the team if you bring it along. At the same time, it deals with things like Volcarona and Blaziken. Unlike in OU, Volcarona don't tend to run HP Ground very often to deal with mons like Heatran and Alolan Marowak. The moveset is pretty standard. Some people like to run rocks over wisp just to ensure that they get rocks, but we have ferrothorn to deal with that. The goal is to switch into Thundurus or even on a Blaziken and then wait for the opponent to panic. Usually, the best way to deal with this mon is either a defensive Landorus, a regular mence, or a Mega Gyarados. However, all of those a physical attackers. This is where you should make the double and click Will-O-Wisp to nullify the power of the possible threats to your team. To add to this, we gave the mon just enough speed to let it take care of Alolan Muk, which is annoying to Primarina in the back, and lets us have a better matchup against Stall teams. Also, don't underestimate the power of Marowak.

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 76-91 (43.1 - 51.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Muk-Alola: 228-272 (107.5 - 128.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Excadrill @ Assault Vest | Mold Breaker
Jolly | 44 HP / 156 Atk / 4 Def / 84 SpD / 220 Spe
Earthquake
Iron Head
Rock Tomb
Horn Drill

This mon is basically a dual purpose. It beats things that Marowak isn’t able to. Since this team is somewhat weak to stall, bringing around a horn drill can save some unwinnable games. At the same time, most people tend to think that the mon was made to bring a sand offense with ttar as the sand setter. However, without knowing this, people tend to bring things such as rotom-w since it matches up well against Tyranitar and a Sand Rush Excadrill. However, the Mold Breaker allows you to hit Rotom formes. At the same time, this mon effectively can deal with Mimkyu, Lele, Hydreigon, and other special attackers. Again, this mon can be underestimated. If you are in a last ditch effort to win and there is a Volcarona in front of you and you don't have your Marowak, you can throw out the excadrill and hope you win the roll which is somewhat in your favor.

252+ SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 44 HP / 84 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 176-210 (92.1 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

After, you can just throw off a rock tomb and kill the Volcarona. Similarly, this mon can deal with other Flying-types by spamming Rock Tomb so that they can’t outspeed you on the revenge kill.

That’s it for my team! Please tell me what you guys think about it and feel free to give it a try. Make sure you’re careful around the mons I listed below and other than that, I think that it’s a pretty easy team to grasp. Good luck and have fun!

Threatlist:
Mega Kangaskhan has the movepool to be a huge threat to most teams. With it running things like Fire Punch and Ice Punch, we have to rely on the opponent not carrying an Earthquake on his Kang or else we basically lose. Our only hope really is to burn the Kang with the Marowak, but that itself is still a bet since they can carry Earthquake.

Tyranitar can do some work against it with Fire Punch but it threatens back with Heavy Slam. Marowak is the only other mon that can hit it super-effectively as well. Salamence can attempt to Sub and boost on it but it will be a stally matchup. Primarina can chunk it with specs Sparkling Aria which is pretty nice though.

Sash Lando-T is always very annoying to deal with. It not only gets up rocks, but it always prevents Salamence from boosting up with Dragon Dance by Rock Tombing. It also prevents Tyranitar from setting up and sweeping with Ice Punch by getting off two Earthquakes, which is enough to knock it out and completely bust momentum. On the same note, other than with Ferrothorn, the mon will always claim a kill before it dies since it can just use Explosion. If the opponent is able to time the move right, he can take down 2 of this team's mons and still get up rocks.

Greninja’s versatile movepool has the coverage to take out the entire team. If it runs HP fire, it takes out ferrothorn. If it runs ice beam, it takes out Salamence. If it runs low kick, it takes out Tyranitar. If it runs Gunk Shot, it takes out Primarina. Essentially, there is always something in Greninja’s movepool that counter a mon on the team.

Porygon 2 is a problem for the team because they can just set up Trick Room and keeping winning there. The mon can either have physical or special bulk or a mix, making it hard to deal with.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Moonblast vs. 244 HP / 100+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 76-90 (39.7 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Even for primarina, which is supposed to carry the most firepower on the team, it is somewhat hard to deal with. Excadrill can usually sit in front of it and fish for Horn Drills though, but sometimes that flat out doesn’t work if you’re unlucky.

We do have answers for this, Ferrothorn being especially good, but Mega Metagross applies tonnes of pressure as it can take out both our megas quite easily.

If there are any more that we missed, don't hesitate to tell us!

Importable:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Fire Punch

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 44 HP / 156 Atk / 4 Def / 84 SpD / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Tomb
- Horn Drill

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Atk / 4 Def / 132 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost
- Substitute

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sparkling Aria
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic

Again thanks again cant say for all of your help!

Wow really nice team and the format looks really good as well! Congrats on your work Luthier; you're on the road to become a very talented player

As i already said to cant say , great team so far in both, the format and how it is built. I really do like the idea to fake the Sand rush Excadrill and use an Assault Vest one instead that can break the mold, and deal with common Mence checks such as p2 or Cresselia.

As for the team, it feels pretty solid, and to be totally fair i tried to change things and just ended up to change it too much, since as i said the team is already pretty well balanced, so touching anything would just make it worse in my opinion. Instead i'd make minor changes to the mons that are already in it..

Primarina

I'd move 52 EVs from SpA to Def, just to make sure CharX and Mega Blaziken would just have 2% chances to 2HKO it, so it can switch into them. This could be especially good if you think that a Charizard X can come into the field when ferrothorn is in and setup a DD, and at +1 it could be pretty problematic for your whole team, specially if we are talking about a Bulky ZardX that can survive to Prima's +1 attacks.
Mega Salamence

I do like a lot the set you tailored for your team, but to be totally honest at first i thought that the speed wasn't really necessary here, since you already have tools to handle both, Hydreigon and the rare Nidoking. So, just while i was building a heavy specially defensive set, something came in my mind.. Those EVs in speed are necessary to outspeed, at +1, a pokemon that could definitely be a threat for your team: Pheromosa. (well 76 EVs are enough, but at that point with 8 more EVs you would keep your original benchmarks)
So instead i went for these EVs to improve your Porygon 2 match up a little: 196 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 220 SpD / 84 Spe , Careful Nature.
With those you'd hit 151 SpDef, that would be 1 point higher than its Defense, triggering p2's attack instead of its special attack if it has Download, and definitely gaining more setup opportunities.
Oh by the way, the difference in power isn't that huge if your goal is to setup DDs, so i'd go with this instead.
Mega Tyranitar

Already told this to cant say, imo there is no reason not to put max speed, since with that simple +1 you'd gain so much.
First of all you'll hit a pretty common speed benchmark, that is 135 (outspeeding breloom is crucial for a lot of mons, and even if loom can Mach Punch you, you would tie the other mons' speed instead of being beaten by them).
Also, usually people like to run, as you guys did too, 134 speed to hit 201 at +1 or with a choice scarf. With that further point in speed you'd hit 202, outspeeding every pokemon that hit 201.
At last, i don't think there are any specific defensive benchmarks with those 4/4 EVs in the defenses, so yeah... just raise that speed to 252 imo.

Another thing, have you considered to add Superpower somewhere to deal with Kangaskhan and p2? You'd hit Ferrothorn as well, even if not as hard as with Fire Punch, but you could give it a try imo.
Ferrothorn

This one might seem a stupid one, but if Greninja is one of your problem i highly recommend to put 28 EVs into its SpD, taking them from the Defense, since it won't change much on the physical side, but you'd be able to survive to Greninja's HP Fire if needed.
And that's all, i tried my best to be as much helpful as i could. Again, great job so far to you both, can't wait to see this team in action in some room tour :]

Last edited:

Luthier

Don’t get mad, get even.
As i already said to cant say , great team so far in both, the format and how it is built. I really do like the idea to fake the Sand rush Excadrill and use an Assault Vest one instead that can break the mold, and deal with common Mence checks such as p2 or Cresselia.

As for the team, it feels pretty solid, and to be totally fair i tried to change things and just ended up to change it too much, since as i said the team is already pretty well balanced, so touching anything would just make it worse in my opinion. Instead i'd make minor changes to the mons that are already in it..

Primarina

Mega Salamence

Mega Tyranitar

Ferrothorn

And that's all, i tried my best to be as much helpful as i could. Again, great job so far to you both, can't wait to see this team in action in some room tour :]
I really like the changes you suggested and thanks so much for taking time out of your day to help me. The suggestions you made on the mence and the ferro are ones that I accepted immediately. With prim, I was a little hesitant at first. But after toying around with it, I realized that its better off to help that blaze counter rather than having a higher chance to 2 hit KO mons like steela, since i have other things to deal with it such as marowak. However, I am not so sure about tyranitar. I get that having it can help deal with p2 and kang but I feel like the opportunity cost might be a bit too high. Losing one of its elemental punches hurts a lot. I would be forced to take out fire punch simply because ice punch is just such a good move with significantly better coverage. But looking back, I realize that with superpower, I can handle threats better. Although the attack drop is annoying to deal with, I think I'll test it out and see what happens as a result. Thanks!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just uploaded this team as a QR code to the Pokemon Global Link so people can try it on their 3DS without needing to breed or train! https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/BT-4BF0-85E8

If you don't know how it works, you'll need to log on or create an account on the PGL here. Once you're logged in, click the link above to go to the team and view the QR code, then when you go to choose your team online you simply choose the QR code option and scan it! You can also try it in the Battle Tree (Ferro+Ttar+Wak, or Mence+Prima+Exca should be ok for getting BP)

Luthier

Don’t get mad, get even.
I just uploaded this team as a QR code to the Pokemon Global Link so people can try it on their 3DS without needing to breed or train! https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/BT-4BF0-85E8

If you don't know how it works, you'll need to log on or create an account on the PGL here. Once you're logged in, click the link above to go to the team and view the QR code, then when you go to choose your team online you simply choose the QR code option and scan it! You can also try it in the Battle Tree (Ferro+Ttar+Wak, or Mence+Prima+Exca should be ok for getting BP)
tysm buddy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)