Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I really don't like that idea having your Pokémon KOed for switching it out. It would make pivoting virtually impossible and reduce the battles to series of 1 VS. 1 and VoltTurn fests, where you can destroy an opponent by just switching in the right Pokémon.

Doesn't sound fun to me. It's better to have a metagame that promotes (healthy) switches rather than restricting them to such level.

Five Moveslot Syndrome

Now, I'm no coder, so I'm going to need someone to verify whether or not this is possible before we move on. In my head, it makes perfect sense, but maybe it doesn't work in practice. Now, in my head, the way the mega-evolution or the use-z-move buttons appear in the pokemonshowdown program is when they see the correct pokemon has the correct item. After this, the button becomes avalible, and the person can use it. Now, wouldn't it be possible to change the programming of that button, so when you click it, it just uses a move instead of forcing you to attack or choose a Z-Move. Like, if you had an air balloon on Venusaur, and it made a mega-evolve button appear on the bottom screen, but when you clicked it, it just fired off a move. If this is the case, wouldn't it be possible to re-code pokemonshowdown so that when you type a move into the item slot, the simulator checks to see if you have a pokemon that can learn the move and the move typed into the item slot. If it checks out, the mega evolve button appears, but when you press it, instead of mega-evolving, the pokemon uses the move? Now, there's a decent chance this is all totally impossible for some crazy coder reason. But if it's actually possible, then it could create the metagame I'm enivisioning: Five Moveslot Syndrome

Metagame Premise: Pokemon can trade their item slot for having a 5th move.

Potential Bans/Threats: Honestly, I couldn't think of anything that would suddenly become broken. Having a 5th moveslot benefits every mon in the game, and while some benefit more than others, and obviously some mons would be exponentially more viable, I don't really see any paticular mons becoming super broken. Obviously, many offensive mons would become better with significantly more coverage. For example, every Tapu Koko can run two pivoting moves now.
Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt
- Volt Switch
Defensive pokemon would also get better. Stealth Rock Heatran will never have to worry about getting walled by itself again.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
The only potential ban I can think of is Greninja, since giving Greninja even more coverage just seems like a recipe for disaster
Greninja @ Life Orb
Trait: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot
Another thing to keep in mind is that THIS CHANGE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO AFFECT MEGAS. While this is probably for the best, I was really excited about a Mega Charizard X that couldn't be walled by Heatran, or a Mega Beedrill with even MORE coverage

Questions for the community:
  • Obviously, there's the big one: IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE IN THE FIRST PLACE
  • Has anyone already done/tried this before? I checked pretty thoroughly, but let me know if there's something I missed
  • What pokemon do you think will be strong in this meta?
  • Any obvious bans I missed?
  • Should this take place in a tier other than OU?
  • Chocolate or Vanilla?
Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Five Moveslot Syndrome

Now, I'm no coder, so I'm going to need someone to verify whether or not this is possible before we move on. In my head, it makes perfect sense, but maybe it doesn't work in practice. Now, in my head, the way the mega-evolution or the use-z-move buttons appear in the pokemonshowdown program is when they see the correct pokemon has the correct item. After this, the button becomes avalible, and the person can use it. Now, wouldn't it be possible to change the programming of that button, so when you click it, it just uses a move instead of forcing you to attack or choose a Z-Move. Like, if you had an air balloon on Venusaur, and it made a mega-evolve button appear on the bottom screen, but when you clicked it, it just fired off a move. If this is the case, wouldn't it be possible to re-code pokemonshowdown so that when you type a move into the item slot, the simulator checks to see if you have a pokemon that can learn the move and the move typed into the item slot. If it checks out, the mega evolve button appears, but when you press it, instead of mega-evolving, the pokemon uses the move? Now, there's a decent chance this is all totally impossible for some crazy coder reason. But if it's actually possible, then it could create the metagame I'm enivisioning: Five Moveslot Syndrome

Potential Bans/Threats: Honestly, I couldn't think of anything that would suddenly become broken. Having a 5th moveslot benefits every mon in the game, and while some benefit more than others, and obviously some mons would be exponentially more viable, I don't really see any paticular mons becoming super broken. Obviously, many offensive mons would become better with significantly more coverage. For example, every Tapu Koko can run two pivoting moves now.
Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt
- Volt Switch
Defensive pokemon would also get better. Stealth Rock Heatran will never have to worry about getting walled by itself again.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
The only potential ban I can think of is Greninja, since giving Greninja even more coverage just seems like a recipe for disaster
Greninja @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot
Another thing to keep in mind is that THIS CHANGE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO AFFECT MEGAS. While this is probably for the best, I was really excited about a Mega Charizard X that couldn't be walled by Heatran, or a Mega Beedrill with even MORE coverage

• Has anyone already done/tried this before? I checked pretty thoroughly, but let me know if there's something I missed
  • Chocolate or Vanilla?
Thanks for your time!
I'm pretty sure that custom games can have over 15 moves in the same mon if editable on the "Import" button, so I'm sure five moves can be easly coded

Five Moveslot Syndrome

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt
- Volt Switch
Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
Greninja @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot

• Chocolate or Vanilla?
Thanks for your time!
Like Aqua said, custom games can have up to 24 moves per mon, so it's codable without using up the mega stone/z-move slot in the sim. Just go to Import/Export, and type Enter->Dash->Space->Move Name to add the 5th move. And while I love the idea, the simple, yet hard to find, way to code in the 5th move may ruin it because it isn't friendly to non-forum non-om users. Not saying we haven't had metas like that before (I.E the contest one based off of move categories in pokemon contests), but yeah. It also doesn't shake up the meta too much, since 4MMS is only really a big issue below OU. It's still in OU, and UU a mediocre amount, but nothing impactful. IMO, it might just lead to stall wars because now you can run Recovery/Setup/Stab/Stab or Coverage/Status Removal or Coverage or Status. It doesn't really shake things up offensively.

Like Aqua said, custom games can have up to 24 moves per mon, so it's codable without using up the mega stone/z-move slot in the sim. Just go to Import/Export, and type Enter->Dash->Space->Move Name to add the 5th move. And while I love the idea, the simple, yet hard to find, way to code in the 5th move may ruin it because it isn't friendly to non-forum non-om users. Not saying we haven't had metas like that before (I.E the contest one based off of move categories in pokemon contests), but yeah. It also doesn't shake up the meta too much, since 4MMS is only really a big issue below OU. It's still in OU, and UU a mediocre amount, but nothing impactful. IMO, it might just lead to stall wars because now you can run Recovery/Setup/Stab/Stab or Coverage/Status Removal or Coverage or Status. It doesn't really shake things up offensively.
But at the same time, more pokemon can run stuff like Roar, Whirlwind, Haze, Taunt, Toxic, even Heal Block to break stall. I understand where you're coming from, but this meta isn't just about giving mons with 4MSS a leg up (although there will be more mons from lower tiers that could be viable in OU thanks to this change), it's about adding multiple options to the battle. It's also a pretty simple concept to understand: while not everyone might be fully aware of how the Import/Export feature works, having 5 moves is an easy concept to understand, and it shouldn't take too long to figure out. And if we don't need to rely on items, it may be beneficial, as an extra move can be added without extra cost, giving all pokemon extra coverage, utility, or set-up. I think it could be an interesting meta, but I see where you're coming from. I'll add should this take place in another tier to the OP, and that's my new question: would OU be fine, or would this only be interesting another tier?

Another idea in my continuous quest to balance things out. My apologies if something like this already exists.

TRICKY

The premise is simple: the match switches between normal and Trick Room every turn. So on turn one, the faster Pokémon moves first, then on the second, the slower one does, and so on. I think this could make for some really interesting strategy and would make it harder for clean sweeps to happen.

Bans and potential threats

Same OU stuff as always. I can't think of anything that would need to be banned just because of the effect. This meta would allow a couple of things to shine, though. First, moves that lower your speed: Hammer Arm (and V-Create!) could allow you to move first on the first turn and then the speed drop could allow you to move first on the second. Curse's viability as a set-up move is greatly increased, I think.
Another move that would see a lot more usage is Protect. You wanna remain safe on your slower turn? Just protect! Don't let your +2 +2 +2 Cloyster get wrecked by a Snorlax!
Also, as in so many metas, priority moves will have a big role.

Questions

Is V-Create too good in such a meta?

Again, thank you for any feedback and let me know what you think!

Moves like Fly and Dig go crazy with that kind of speed switching, since they ideally go first on the turn going into invulnerability, and second on the turn coming out of it, bringing back shades of the old flycat/divecat from BW. Sure, they get blocked by Protect, but it's not like they're taking anything in return either.

Even more ridiculous is Sky Drop, which doesn't even give them a chance to use Protect on the second turn once they know it's coming, and if the speed tiers are aligned correctly it just prevents the opponent from moving at all.

I just love the idea of matches being reduced to just both pokemon using Protect on alternate turns until their PP run out just so they can skip the slow turn

Ability Swap

Metagame premise:
The idea of this metagame is that Pokémon inherit the Ability from their next to Pokémon on the Pokédex list.
For example: Venusaur (#003 on the Pokédex) can have Overgrow/Chlorophyll, inherited by Ivysaur (#002 on the Pokédex), or it can have Blaze/Solar Power, inhereted by Charmander (#004 on the Pokédex).
Another example: Delphox (#655 on the Pokédex) can have Blaze, Magician, Torrent or Protean (inhereted by Braixen and Froakie).
When Mega-Evolving, the Pokémon that megaevolves changes the ability. Venusaur-Mega will still have Thick Fat.
Any Pokémon can't have its own abilities unless their are inherited by other Pokémon because they have the same ability.
I think you will be able to understand this.

Potential bans and threats: I think that we can use the OU rules and keep changing from there.
  • Victini: It has V-Create + Contrary. Another option is to ban V-Create.
  • Wonder Guard: The only Pokémon that can have Wonder Guard will be Ninjask and Whismur. Whismur could be a threat as its only weakness is Fighting.
  • Speed Boost/Boosting abilities: I'm not sure about this tho.
I can't think of any more.

Questions for the community: Do you see any major threat? Do you think this is a good idea?

Edit: Levitate Gengar yay :]

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Ability Swap

Metagame premise:
The idea of this metagame is that Pokémon inherit the Ability from their next to Pokémon on the Pokédex list.
For example: Venusaur (#003 on the Pokédex) can have Overgrow/Chlorophyll, inherited by Ivysaur (#002 on the Pokédex), or it can have Blaze/Solar Power, inhereted by Charmander (#004 on the Pokédex).
Another example: Delphox (#655 on the Pokédex) can have Blaze, Magician, Torrent or Protean (inhereted by Braixen and Froakie).
When Mega-Evolving, the Pokémon that megaevolves changes the ability. Venusaur-Mega will still have Thick Fat.
Any Pokémon can't have its own abilities unless their are inherited by other Pokémon because they have the same ability.
I think you will be able to understand this.

Potential bans and threats: I think that we can use the OU rules and keep changing from there.
  • Victini: It has V-Create + Contrary. Another option is to ban V-Create.
  • Wonder Guard: The only Pokémon that can have Wonder Guard will be Ninjask and Whismur. Whismur could be a threat as its only weakness is Fighting.
  • Speed Boost/Boosting abilities: I'm not sure about this tho.
I can't think of any more.

Questions for the community: Do you see any major threat? Do you think this is a good idea?

Edit: Levitate Gengar yay :]
I will consider banning Huge Power and Pure Power just in case, as Aggron can have Pure Power since Meditite comes after Aggron itself, for example.

Probably want to pre-emptively ban Slaking and Regigigas

On a seperate note, if a pre-evolution has access to say, Bulletproof while the final does not, are you able to still run Bulletproof on the final evo?

Probably want to pre-emptively ban Slaking and Regigigas

On a seperate note, if a pre-evolution has access to say, Bulletproof while the final does not, are you able to still run Bulletproof on the final evo?
Yes, but only if it's next to it on the Pokedex

I just love the idea of matches being reduced to just both pokemon using Protect on alternate turns until their PP run out just so they can skip the slow turn
That's a good point actually. Maybe protect-like moves should be limited to two pokemon per team?

Heres a metagame idea. Im not entirely sure if it exists or not.

Slot Roulette

Metagame premise:
Depending on the slot position (1-6), the pokemons base stats are shifted across a certain number of positions. For instance, putting Dugtrio-Alola in slot 1 will push all of its stats forward 1 position, making HP the new Atk stat, Atk the new defense stat, etc etc. Speed loops over to the HP stat. Its new stats are: 110/35/100/60/50/70, turning it into a physical wall. Shiny pokemon are unaffected by Slot Roulette, retaining their old stats.
(simply put, slot 1-6 determines whether the hp stat begins in hp, atk, def, spa, spd, spe. the hp stat will then be followed by atk, def, spa, spd, and spe.)

Potential bans and threats:

There's a ton of interesting, powerful, defensive mons in this meta which should make it a lot of fun to play and theorymon for. Heres just a few:

SLOT 3: 95/30/75/125/230/55
Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Steelix turns into the perfect electric type counter and a premier special tank, moving all of its bulk into the special defense slot while also getting a HP buff. it also is a great answer to fairies and psychic spam. it also gets to become a special attacker, which means it isnt afraid of burns from the likes of gengar or gardevoirs that it may switch into.

SLOT 5: 85/125/75/45/95/105
Exeggutor-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Dragon Hammer
- Sleep Powder
- Earthquake

Exeggutor-A has a great opportunity to be a fast hard-hitter and also fire off a quick sleep powder off of 105 speed. With dragon hammer and 125 atk, it is one of the hardest hitting dragons and doesnt have to rely on outrage, and can also run swords dance in any of these slots in order to sweep and wallbreak.

SLOT 4: 50/132/42/68/70/92
Araquanid @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Bubble
Jolly Nature
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Poison Jab
- Crunch

Araquanid gets a lot squishier, but this bug becomes incredibly deadly thanks to 132 atk and a usable 92 speed stat. this lets it run a scarf set and click its way through most mons with liquidation. this might be suspect for ban, although its still slow by scarfed standards, relies heavily on water type attacks, and has no boosting moves or great coverage outside of STAB.
it also has a good special attacking set for slot 2, which gives it 92 spa and 132 speed, and this might be a better option.

SLOT 3: 135/55/255/10/10/75
Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Even in a world of choice banded araquanids, walls will pop up to thwart them. one of these options is blissey, which becomes an ultra-strong physical wall in slot 3. It also gains good speed for a wall. Only time will tell whether Chansey gets a banhammer.

What do you think? Any stuff thats broken? I left all of the huge power etc mons in, because I figured why not. A lot of mons can move high attack stats into hp which allows for really strong walls so I dont see why huge power cant stay. Shedinja would be banned assuming it could grant itself a proper hp value. Guzzlord would have an amazing special attacking set, but doesnt get boosting moves, so it could still perhaps be walled. I dont know about Regigigas, it would probably deserve a ban but Im not sure how broken this meta will be yet. Kyurem-B definitely deserved a ban though, its incredibly fast with 120 speed and has 170 spa.
edit: after some thought, dugtrio seems like a definite ban thanks to its set with 120/100/50 defenses, it could probably rest/toxic its way through a large number of pokemon

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Heres a metagame idea. Im not entirely sure if it exists or not.

Slot Roulette

Metagame premise:
Depending on the slot position (1-6), the pokemons base stats are shifted across a certain number of positions. For instance, putting Dugtrio-Alola in slot 1 will push all of its stats forward 1 position, making HP the new Atk stat, Atk the new defense stat, etc etc. Speed loops over to the HP stat. Its new stats are: 110/35/100/60/50/70, turning it into a physical wall. Shiny pokemon are unaffected by Slot Roulette, retaining their old stats.
(simply put, slot 1-6 determines whether the hp stat begins in hp, atk, def, spa, spd, spe. the hp stat will then be followed by atk, def, spa, spd, and spe.)

Potential bans and threats:

There's a ton of interesting, powerful, defensive mons in this meta which should make it a lot of fun to play and theorymon for. Heres just a few:

SLOT 3: 95/30/75/125/230/55
Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Steelix turns into the perfect electric type counter and a premier special tank, moving all of its bulk into the special defense slot while also getting a HP buff. it also is a great answer to fairies and psychic spam. it also gets to become a special attacker, which means it isnt afraid of burns from the likes of gengar or gardevoirs that it may switch into.

SLOT 5: 85/125/75/45/95/105
Exeggutor-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Dragon Hammer
- Sleep Powder
- Earthquake

Exeggutor-A has a great opportunity to be a fast hard-hitter and also fire off a quick sleep powder off of 105 speed. With dragon hammer and 125 atk, it is one of the hardest hitting dragons and doesnt have to rely on outrage, and can also run swords dance in any of these slots in order to sweep and wallbreak.

SLOT 4: 50/132/42/68/70/92
Araquanid @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Bubble
Jolly Nature
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Poison Jab
- Crunch

Araquanid gets a lot squishier, but this bug becomes incredibly deadly thanks to 132 atk and a usable 92 speed stat. this lets it run a scarf set and click its way through most mons with liquidation. this might be suspect for ban, although its still slow by scarfed standards, relies heavily on water type attacks, and has no boosting moves or great coverage outside of STAB.
it also has a good special attacking set for slot 2, which gives it 92 spa and 132 speed, and this might be a better option.

SLOT 3: 135/55/255/10/10/75
Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Even in a world of choice banded araquanids, walls will pop up to thwart them. one of these options is blissey, which becomes an ultra-strong physical wall in slot 3. It also gains good speed for a wall. Only time will tell whether Chansey gets a banhammer.

What do you think? Any stuff thats broken? I left all of the huge power etc mons in, because I figured why not. A lot of mons can move high attack stats into hp which allows for really strong walls so I dont see why huge power cant stay. Shedinja would be banned assuming it could grant itself a proper hp value. Guzzlord would have an amazing special attacking set, but doesnt get boosting moves, so it could still perhaps be walled. I dont know about Regigigas, it would probably deserve a ban but Im not sure how broken this meta will be yet. Kyurem-B definitely deserved a ban though, its incredibly fast with 120 speed and has 170 spa.
This sounds cool, but isnt that a slot 2 Steelix set?

Base Zard Y stats
78/104/ 78/159/115/ 100
New stats in slot 5:
104/78/159/115/100/78... thats 104/159/100 bulk which is just ridic
Could also go speedy with 100/104/159 offenses.

Mega Obama stats
90/132/105/132/105/30 --> 105/30/90/132/105/132
132 speed and special attack

Toxapex goes from
50/63/152/53/142/35-->35/50/63/152/53/142 with 152/142 spa and speed becoming the merciless killer it always wanted to be.

Shuckle gets 230/230 spa /speed and sturdy +shell smash lol

Hoopa-u gets 160/170 spa/speed

This sounds cool, but isnt that a slot 2 Steelix set?

Base Zard Y stats
78/104/ 78/159/115/ 100
New stats in slot 5:
104/78/159/115/100/78... thats 104/159/100 bulk which is just ridic
Could also go speedy with 100/104/159 offenses.

Mega Obama stats
90/132/105/132/105/30 --> 105/30/90/132/105/132
132 speed and special attack

Toxapex goes from
50/63/152/53/142/35-->35/50/63/152/53/142 with 152/142 spa and speed becoming the merciless killer it always wanted to be.

Shuckle gets 230/230 spa /speed and sturdy +shell smash lol

Hoopa-u gets 160/170 spa/speed
Itd be a slot 3 set because slot 1 puts hp in the hp slot (eg. doesnt change anything). the spD steelix set puts hp in the defense slot which is the 3rd stat and 3rd slot

edit: those sets seem "balanced"

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
Money for Nothing and the Power Trick Room for Free (Shuckle) @ Lum Berry
Slot 4 (10/230/5/20/10/230)
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe
IVs: 0 HP
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- wait what do you mean Shuckle can't learn Leech Life, screw this then
D-d-d-do you need other things?

Well, if it had Leech Life, anything that takes the move for at least 258 damage would provide "Sturdy immortality" in the mold of stuff like FEAR Probopass, but obviously much faster in this case.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
Well, if it had Leech Life, anything that takes the move for at least 258 damage would provide "Sturdy immortality" in the mold of stuff like FEAR Probopass, but obviously much faster in this case.
Imo run Shell Bell. With 10 hp and 230 attack most attacks will put you at full. Ban Shuckle imo.

10 base HP turns into 130 actual HP (at minimum), and Shell Bell only heals back 1/8 of the damage, so it would take 1,032 damage dealt in order to heal back to full that way. Not happening.

Luckily the only mon that can play draining move + sturdy shenanigans is Regirock, with its 200atk draining punch. But I dont think it'll easily fill its own hp due to having a base 100hp. Perhaps a big root strat?

Hey Shedinja doesn't die from rocks anymore

Switchinja @ Leftovers
Slot 5 (45/30/30/40/1/90)
Ability: Wonder Guard
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 HP/4 SpD/252 Spe
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Toxic
- Shadow Sneak/Will-O-Wisp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)