Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why a metagame where every ability becomes one with bad effects would be fun to play tbh. Why would I want to reduce the chances of secondary effects happening? Why would I want my stab to do less damage? Or to lose 25% HP when damaged by electric/water? Or not be able to switch at all because I'd lose 33% HP doing so?
What you could do instead is that the abilities need the opposite of what they would need to activate. So Torrent to activate when over 33% HP, Swift Swim to double speed on any weather but rain, etc. Otherwise I don't really see any potential in nerfing every ability.
It doesn't nerf every ability. For example: Defeatist would double attack and special attack when either below or above 50% (Probably above). Weather abilities would make the opposite (or close to) weather appear. Drought would bring rain. Solar Power would lower special attack in the sun, but would add recovery per turn. Storm drain may keep water immunity as water moves would be repelled, but SpA would be lowered by 1 stage. Levitate would make a mon have no ability or it would banned and make a mon only be affected by ground moves. While I haven't thought about every ability, then people in the OM room had some great ideas to add.

hello people of smogon, I'm a player of bh whose always wanted to use those pokestar, cap, and glitch pokemon on my team. Basically pokemon banned in most formats. So I had an idea what if there was a meta game for that! I think having a meta game like thiswould be loads of fun and very popular. Who else thinks this is a great idea? Tell me in the response section.

hello people of smogon, I'm a player of bh whose always wanted to use those pokestar, cap, and glitch pokemon on my team. Basically pokemon banned in most formats. So I had an idea what if there was a meta game for that! I think having a meta game like thiswould be loads of fun and very popular. Who else thinks this is a great idea? Tell me in the response section.
Well you can just play CAP if you want. And I'm not sure it's a great idea. Pokestar studio opponents are either broken af, like Majin, completely walled by a single type, or just mediocre in general. Glitch pokemon are just kinda useless in general.

Hey there SirbutteralotIII,

Glitched Pokemon do not offer enough to be considered for a metagame. Take MissingNO. for example. The thing has 0 Def and 29 Spe. Besides incredibly too specific situations and just using it to say you used it, it would never be used. Or the Yellow version, which has 178 HP but 0 Spe. Might as well use Guzzlord. The Kabutops/Aerodactyl/Ghost forms don't actually have any stats as far as I'm aware. For PokeStar studios, they don't have full movesets to use, so they would be so easily recognized from the team preview and easy to stop, making them generally not worth it. The ones that could be usable are Brycen-Man, maybe UFO, I'm not sure really. I believe that a metagame like this wouldn't garner enough popularity to be a great idea. However, I'm sure you're not the only one who would want to play something like this. Maybe try asking around and just playing Custom Games!

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Besides gen 7 not having the mons in question (except for CAP), I don't really think it'd be different enough from normal BH in a good way, since you're talking about BH I'd assume it's a BH-based meta, for it to qualify as a good OM. Most of the Pokemon in CAP wouldn't really be up to par with BH standards, I guess I could see a couple of them working but their stats and typing was designed for OU in mind, not really BH. I could see a couple of them working, though, but let me give my impressions about how each will fare.
Syclant: Outclassed in every sense by Kyurem-B, except Speed. But is Speed really worth it if you're hitting with a weak attacking stat or take tons of damage from SR anyways (except if you're MG, which'd probably be weak as hell even with LO)? Also, Mountaineer would be a lesser MG, tbh.
Revenankh: Bulkier, but weaker and slower Marshadow. Considering MMY, MGar, MRay, and MDiancie I don't think this one's gonna be taking many hits with its bulk either, so it's just worse.
Pyroak: Interesting typing and decent bulk. That's really all it has going for it considering it gets swamped by POgre and PDon anyway.
Fidgit: Interesting typing and decent bulk. That's really all it has going for it considering it gets swamped by POgre and PDon anyway. However, I'll give it props for having a dank ability in Persistent, which could be useful on TR teams... on other mons.
Stratagem: What are you going to hit things with? Revelation Dance? Even then 120 SpA isn't really much for an attacker. Paleo Wave might have a decent niche but it's nothing really impressive.
Arghonaut: Outclassed as a physical-oriented, specially tanking Water-type by Gyarados-M. Typing makes it weak to the same things that Revenankh is weak to so it's arguably worse at its job either way.
Kitsunoh: Want a wall? Go with Aegislash. Want a physical attacker? Go with something stronger. At least you can run an improof Multi-Attack set that Marshadow does better. Shadow Strike might have a decent niche too but still nothing to write home about.
Cyclohm: A slightly bulkier Zekrom. Weaker and slower, too.
Colossoil: Could work thanks to its mixed bulk and immunity to Volt Switch and Psychic Terrain memes. Doesn't do much else though, considering Ogre swamps it and MMY can just use Ice Beam/Moonblast. You could run Power Trip to take advantage of it's ok speed and attack, but other things do it better (MTTar). Also Rebound is a shittier Magic Bounce.
Krilowatt: Really fast and kinda weak for a regenvester, but could possibly work as one thanks to its bulk and okay-ish typing? Don't know for sure though. Desolate Land PDon memes it.
Voodoom: Kinda weak to 2 of the predominant -ates.
Tomohawk: Outclassed by MRay, fighting STAB isn't even worth with that low of a SpA.
Necturna: I apparently love talking about Regenvest. Could make use of Spectral Thief + Grass STAB combo offensively but there are other things that do one or the other better.
Mollux: PDON
Aurumoth: Eh typing, stats could be much better.
Malaconda: Well Hoopa-U worked as a Regenvester for MMY, this could also work. Doesn't really have that much attack to punish though, so probably not. POgre runs coverage that memes it anyway most of the time.
Cawmadore: Celesteela is far better for any role this thing would have.
Volkraken: Wanna tell me what niches Volcanion has?
Plasmanta: I guess it has a neat typing, but gets hard-stopped by PDon.
Naviathan: Fancy typing, but Empoleon exists, and you don't see that run very often.
Crucibelle-Mega (because base would be outclassed): I could see this being used over Nihilegod tbh as it is literally that with more physical bulk.
Kerfluffle: Interesting typing! Nothing else though!
So out of all of the CAPs I could see... 1 being not really outclassed, and maybe like 4 having a niche. Wow.

As for the Pokestar ones they're in a similar boat as CAP, even with their 100s all across the board there are just other mons that exist that would outclass them in what they're supposed to do or they're just bad. Glitch Pokemon are also quite bad, but some (like PokéWTrainer) would probably just dominate the meta in a stupid way with their stats and typing.

So overall, my opinion as a good (probably) BH player: Eh, wouldn't play, sorry.

well thanks for the responses. i was never really aware of these issues as i just saw the caps glitched and pokestar pokemon and thought it would be cool to have a metagame based off of that.

well thanks for the responses. i was never really aware of these issues as i just saw the caps glitched and pokestar pokemon and thought it would be cool to have a metagame based off of that.
You could try making that a pet mod, and let the community make the stats, ability, movesets, etc

Item Essence

This meta works with the pokemonshowdown description of items.

Metagame Premise:

- Any pokemon can use any pokemon-specific item (with the exception of mega stones)
- If an item explicitly mentions a TYPING in its description, the holder gains these typings (replacing existing typings, starting with secondary) and is allowed to learn a single move from each typing.
- If an item explicitly mentions a MOVE, the holder can learn the move. (with the exception of learning z-moves directly into the moveslot)

This doesnt include substrings, so a mention of "Grass-type" will grant grass move + typing, but "Grassy Terrain" will grant access to grassy terrain, but not an additional grass move and typing.

Potential bans and threats:

(movebans are pulled straight from sketchmons)
items: thick club, lucky punch, stick, metal powder, quick powder, deepseascale, deepseatooth, eviolite, light ball, eevium z.
moves: belly drum, chatter, geomancy, electrify, lovely kiss, shell smash, shift gear, moves with the effect +1 all stats, and their base moves (celebrate etc.).
pokemon: dugtrio, kyuremb, hoopau, shedinja

item clause will be in effect (one of each item per team)
plus all OU clauses

Here's some set ideas and examples

Wishiwashi-School @ Earth Plate
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shore Up
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Judgment

Earth Plate: "Holder's Ground-type attacks have 1.2x power. Judgement is Ground type."
This becomes a water/ground Wishiwashi that is an offensive tank. It gets to learn 1 ground type move, and also judgement. Ground is technically mentioned twice in the item list, but only counted once (it doesnt get to learn 2 ground type moves, or become ground/ground).

Rhyperior @ Net Ball
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Crabhammer
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Order

Net Ball: "A Poke Ball that works especially well on Water- and Bug-type Pokemon."
This becomes a Water/Bug type Rhyperior, that offers a team a bulky SR setter. It gets to learn one bug and one water type move.

Lucario @ Coba Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse

Coba Berry: "Halves damage taken from a supereffective Flying-type attack. Single use."
This becomes a Fighting/Flying Lucario (secondary typing replaced with flying) that also is holding a berry that may allow it to surprise an opponent attempting to use a supereffective flying type coverage on it. It gets to learn one flying type move.

Thundurus (M) @ Pikanium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Volt Tackle
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- U-turn

Pikanium Z: "If holder is a Pikachu with Volt Tackle, it can use Catastropika."
This stays as an Electric/Flying Thundurus since no explicit mention of any typing, and grants it access to volt tackle. If it uses a z-volt tackle, it will become catastropika.

Klefki @ Big Root
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Careful Nature
- Strength Sap
- Play Rough
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Big Root: "Holder gains 1.3x HP from draining/Aqua Ring/Ingrain/Leech Seed/Strength Sap."
This grants Klefki access to the explicitly mentioned moves: Aqua Ring, Ingrain, Leech Seed, Strength Sap. It can use any of these moves it wants in the same moveset, or none at all. It cant learn all "draining moves" because they werent explicitly mentioned- for instance, it wont learn Giga Drain.

Questions for the community:

i wonder if this will be possible since it pulls from the item descriptions. Any weird interactions you can think of? The one that I can think of is that the move Psychic might be granted to anything that mentions Psychic typing, since its also an attack. Im sure there might be other weird examples of that. But yea I think it could potentially be kinda interesting.

Last edited:
Krookodile @ Eevium Z "If holder is an Eevee with Last Resort, it can use Extreme Evoboost"
Diglett/Dugtrio @ Mental Herb "Cures holder of Attract, Disable, Encore..."
Shedinja @ Steelium Z (...yeah)
Scizor @ Safety Goggles "Holder is immune to powder moves..." same type as above, but any attempt to actually pick on the sole weakness results in it blowing up in your face at +priority

If substring mentions count, is Steelixite supposed to grant Steel type? Are the useless berries that mention "No effect when eaten with Bug Bite or Pluck" really supposed to grant Bug Bite and Pluck just by virtue of that pointless footnote (likewise for Rare Bone and Fling)? How about Terrain Extender, which mentions "Holder's use of Electric/Grassy/Misty/Psychic Terrain..." is that really supposed to grant 3 types at once?

Krookodile @ Eevium Z "If holder is an Eevee with Last Resort, it can use Extreme Evoboost"
Diglett/Dugtrio @ Mental Herb "Cures holder of Attract, Disable, Encore..."
Shedinja @ Steelium Z (...yeah)
Scizor @ Safety Goggles "Holder is immune to powder moves..." same type as above, but any attempt to actually pick on the sole weakness results in it blowing up in your face at +priority

If substring mentions count, is Steelixite supposed to grant Steel type? Are the useless berries that mention "No effect when eaten with Bug Bite or Pluck" really supposed to grant Bug Bite and Pluck just by virtue of that pointless footnote (likewise for Rare Bone and Fling)? How about Terrain Extender, which mentions "Holder's use of Electric/Grassy/Misty/Psychic Terrain..." is that really supposed to grant 3 types at once?
regarding useless berries, yea they will grant bug bite and pluck as explicitly mentioned moves. same with rare bone. terrain extender granting electric/grass/psychic- is there a mon that makes this broken? if not, then i dont see why not. it wasnt intended but the meta isnt really "supposed" to play a certain way so if its not broken i dont mind it. id rather that (and ban things that are broken) than be putting forward a pet mod idea. shedinja and evoboost need a ban for sure.

I don't see how Item Essence could be a feasable OM. Having it be dependant on PS info kind of makes it unstable, since they're subject to change at any time. Also, I dont understand how some of the changes came to be. Why does Wishiwashi learn Judgment? The description doesn't mention it being able to teach its holder Judgment. Or change its type.

Sorry

Some Item Essence sets:

Gengar @ Fist Plate
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Judgment / Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond / Psychic
Ghost/Fighting + Dazzling Gleam hits everything at least neutrally and Sableye super effectively combined with 130 Special Attack. Fun times.

Celesteela @ Big Root
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Strength Sap
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
0_0
PLEASE STOP
Oh yeah, Leech Seed also heals more, so that's cool.

Swoobat @ Net Ball
Ability: Simple
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Roost / Energy Ball / Stored Power
Have a 1 turn Geomancy and great STAB in Steam Eruption backed up by a strong Stored Power and coverage in Heat Wave, this is yet another meta game where Swoobat is a threat. It's simply beautiful.

Tapu Lele @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt
In the terrain? Here's a better Shattered Psyche. Out of the terrain because of those other pesky Tapus? Here's your terrain back! Basically, Mewnium Z let's Tapu Lele have double the control on the field while simultaneously having a nuke in waiting.

I personally like the idea, though stuff like Plates do make it pretty chaotic.

I don't see how Item Essence could be a feasable OM. Having it be dependant on PS info kind of makes it unstable, since they're subject to change at any time. Also, I dont understand how some of the changes came to be. Why does Wishiwashi learn Judgment? The description doesn't mention it being able to teach its holder Judgment. Or change its type.

Sorry
huh? it says the answer to that in the premise. first point is fair enough although i dont think they have changed the descriptions mid-gen before. although i might be wrong

huh? it says the answer to that in the premise. first point is fair enough although i dont think they have changed the descriptions mid-gen before. although i might be wrong
Oh right, forgot to read only the most important part of the post, my bad. Now it makes a lot more sense, and actually sounds pretty cool

I like Item Essence!! Would this be a possible set?

Serperior @ Soul Dew
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Draco Meteor
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire

Serperior then not only becomes a Psychic/Dragon sweeper, but if I understand correctly, also gets 1.2x boosted on both the moves, right? How fun!

A question: would the type changes be displayed to the opponent? And also I think you would want to ban light ball yeah?

Last edited:
Yea i think typing would definitely be displayed to the opponent. And light ball is a ban for sure. I also added the point about substrings not being applicable for searching, so when finding a type it needs to find "Grass-" as opposed to finding Grass in "Grassy Terrain" or Steel in "Steelixite". I think that can be worked out to make sense. I dont mind about stuff like "powder moves" granting access to powder, thats a pretty cool catch.

for item essence:
Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Splash
- Extreme Speed
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
z-splash and then use your two STAB priority moves to eat everyone. 10/10 would sweep again

Tuthur

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Item Essence

This meta works with the pokemonshowdown description of items.

Metagame Premise:

- Any pokemon can use any pokemon-specific item (with the exception of mega stones)
- If an item explicitly mentions a TYPING in its description, the holder gains these typings (replacing existing typings, starting with secondary) and is allowed to learn a single move from each typing.
- If an item explicitly mentions a MOVE, the holder can learn the move. (with the exception of learning z-moves directly into the moveslot)

This doesnt include substrings, so a mention of "Grass-type" will grant grass move + typing, but "Grassy Terrain" will grant access to grassy terrain, but not an additional grass move and typing.

Potential bans and threats:

(movebans are pulled straight from sketchmons)
items: thick club, lucky punch, stick, metal powder, quick powder, deepseascale, deepseatooth, eviolite, light ball, eevium z.
moves: belly drum, chatter, geomancy, lovely kiss, shell smash, shift gear, moves with the effect +1 all stats, and their base moves (celebrate etc.).
pokemon: dugtrio, kyuremb, hoopau, shedinja

item clause will be in effect (one of each item per team)
plus all OU clauses

Here's some set ideas and examples

Wishiwashi-School @ Earth Plate
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shore Up
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Judgment

Earth Plate: "Holder's Ground-type attacks have 1.2x power. Judgement is Ground type."
This becomes a water/ground Wishiwashi that is an offensive tank. It gets to learn 1 ground type move, and also judgement. Ground is technically mentioned twice in the item list, but only counted once (it doesnt get to learn 2 ground type moves, or become ground/ground).

Rhyperior @ Net Ball
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Crabhammer
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Order

Net Ball: "A Poke Ball that works especially well on Water- and Bug-type Pokemon."
This becomes a Water/Bug type Rhyperior, that offers a team a bulky SR setter. It gets to learn one bug and one water type move.

Lucario @ Coba Berry
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse

Coba Berry: "Halves damage taken from a supereffective Flying-type attack. Single use."
This becomes a Fighting/Flying Lucario (secondary typing replaced with flying) that also is holding a berry that may allow it to surprise an opponent attempting to use a supereffective flying type coverage on it. It gets to learn one flying type move.

Thundurus (M) @ Pikanium Z
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Volt Tackle
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- U-turn

Pikanium Z: "If holder is a Pikachu with Volt Tackle, it can use Catastropika."
This stays as an Electric/Flying Thundurus since no explicit mention of any typing, and grants it access to volt tackle. If it uses a z-volt tackle, it will become catastropika.

Klefki @ Big Root
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Careful Nature
- Strength Sap
- Play Rough
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Big Root: "Holder gains 1.3x HP from draining/Aqua Ring/Ingrain/Leech Seed/Strength Sap."
This grants Klefki access to the explicitly mentioned moves: Aqua Ring, Ingrain, Leech Seed, Strength Sap. It can use any of these moves it wants in the same moveset, or none at all. It cant learn all "draining moves" because they werent explicitly mentioned- for instance, it wont learn Giga Drain.

Questions for the community:

i wonder if this will be possible since it pulls from the item descriptions. Any weird interactions you can think of? The one that I can think of is that the move Psychic might be granted to anything that mentions Psychic typing, since its also an attack. Im sure there might be other weird examples of that. But yea I think it could potentially be kinda interesting.
I really like the idea.
Some sets I made:
Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance / Gravity
- Stealth Rock
Z-Fly is already scary in OU, but with Item Essence Landorus as access to a more powerfull flying-STAB, which can be used more than once.

Greninja @ Wise Glasses

Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave / Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Blue Flare
- Spikes
Wise Glasses gives to everything the special coverage it wants. This Greninja doesn't have to chose between Hydro-Pump for Sableye and HP Fire for Ferrothorn. Wise Glasses deserves maybe a ban because it gives to much coverage for special attackers.

Avalugg @ Adamant Orb / Griseous Orb / Lustrous Orb

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Anchor Shot / Spectral Thief / Dragon Tail
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Roar
Avalugg has great defensive stats and movepool but its typing is trash. The Orbs allows Avallug to be far more viable.

Sylveon @ Chilan Berry

Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
- Boomburst
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Protect
Sylveon is the best -ate Pokémon that can abuse from Item Essence since Megas don't get new moves / typing and the other -ate mon (Golem-A and Aurorus) lose their electric and ice typing when holding Chilan Berry.

Blissey @ Spooky Plate

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Night Shade / Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
Blissey is now able to beat the like of Gengar@Fist Plate with its 3 immunities and its natural bulk.

Comfey @ Sky Plate

Ability: Triage
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD OR 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Bold / Modest Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Synthesis
With Triage and Oblivion Wing, Comfey is a dangerous Revenge Killer and Stallbreaker thanks to Calm Mind.

Regice @ Adamant Orb

Ability: Clear Body
Sassy Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
CroGice can be a thing in this meta. Great natural bulk and typing thanks to Adamant Orb. Anchor Shot trap a Pokémon that can't do anything against you and then you boost yourself with Curse and heal yourself with Rest. It's pretty similar to Calm Mind Shadow Tag Gothitelle.

Kartana @ Assault Vest

Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Wood Hammer
- Sacred Fire
- Diamond Storm

Assault Vest is great item: with it you can have access to all the offensive moves but you can't use non-offensive move. This Kartana has perfect neutral coverage, priority and good STAB.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z

Ability: Electric Surge
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- U-turn
Physical Tapu Koko is know a thin. Sadly it loses its fairy-typing.

Zebstrika @ Zap Plate

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Electrify
- Judgment
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
Mega-Sceptile can't have electrify in this metagame but Zebstrika does.

tl;dr: Ban Electrify which can be really strong on Zebstrika (or even Jolteon).
Maybe Ban Assault Vest and Wise Glasses which provide all the coverage you need.
Adamant and Griseous Orb allow some mon to be better (ie: Avalugg, Regice, Articuno,...).
Sorry for bad english, I'm french.

I really like the idea.
Some sets I made:
Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance / Gravity
- Stealth Rock
Z-Fly is already scary in OU, but with Item Essence Landorus as access to a more powerfull flying-STAB, which can be used more than once.

Greninja @ Wise Glasses

Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave / Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Blue Flare
- Spikes
Wise Glasses gives to everything the special coverage it wants. This Greninja doesn't have to chose between Hydro-Pump for Sableye and HP Fire for Ferrothorn. Wise Glasses deserves maybe a ban because it gives to much coverage for special attackers.

Avalugg @ Adamant Orb / Griseous Orb / Lustrous Orb

Ability: Sturdy
Careful Nature
- Anchor Shot / Spectral Thief / Dragon Tail
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Roar
Avalugg has great defensive stats and movepool but its typing is trash. The Orbs allows Avallug to be far more viable.

Sylveon @ Chilan Berry

Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
- Boomburst
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Protect
Sylveon is the best -ate Pokémon that can abuse from Item Essence since Megas don't get new moves / typing and the other -ate mon (Golem-A and Aurorus) lose their electric and ice typing when holding Chilan Berry.

Blissey @ Spooky Plate

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Night Shade / Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
Blissey is now able to beat the like of Gengar@Fist Plate with its 3 immunities and its natural bulk.

Comfey @ Sky Plate

Ability: Triage
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD OR 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Bold / Modest Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Synthesis
With Triage and Oblivion Wing, Comfey is a dangerous Revenge Killer and Stallbreaker thanks to Calm Mind.

Regice @ Adamant Orb

Ability: Clear Body
Sassy Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
CroGice can be a thing in this meta. Great natural bulk and typing thanks to Adamant Orb. Anchor Shot trap a Pokémon that can't do anything against you and then you boost yourself with Curse and heal yourself with Rest. It's pretty similar to Calm Mind Shadow Tag Gothitelle.

Kartana @ Assault Vest

Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Wood Hammer
- Sacred Fire
- Diamond Storm

Assault Vest is great item: with it you can have access to all the offensive moves but you can't use non-offensive move. This Kartana has perfect neutral coverage, priority and good STAB.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z

Ability: Electric Surge
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- U-turn
Physical Tapu Koko is know a thin. Sadly it loses its fairy-typing.

Zebstrika @ Zap Plate

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Electrify
- Judgment
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
Mega-Sceptile can't have electrify in this metagame but Zebstrika does.

tl;dr: Ban Electrify which can be really strong on Zebstrika (or even Jolteon).
Maybe Ban Assault Vest and Wise Glasses which provide all the coverage you need.
Adamant and Griseous Orb allow some mon to be better (ie: Avalugg, Regice, Articuno,...).
Sorry for bad english, I'm french.
You misunderstood how the metagame works. It only gives moves that are either of the type mentioned in the item's desc, or ones which are specifically named (such as Spectral Thief mentioned in Marshadium-Z's desc). Neither Wise Glasses nor Assault Vest actually give you any moves at all. Most of these sets are fine though :P

Anyway, here's a really neat Trick Room abuser (or with some EV tweaks, wallbreaker) in Item Essence.

Clawitzer @ Lustrous Orb
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Origin Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Lustrous Orb allows Clawitzer to access Origin Pulse, which when boosted by Mega Launcher (ML), Lustrous Orb and STAB while backed by base 120 Special Attack does some truly incredible damage - this thing's neutral Origin Pulse does more damage than super effective Dark Pulse/Aura Sphere. Lustrous Orb also grants Clawitzer access to STAB on its Dragon Pulse for much greater power and a pretty damn neat defensive typing. Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere with Mega Launcher are two amazing coverage moves that make this thing really difficult to wall outside Chansey. It's even slower than Spinda so I made it a trick room user however it might just work as a wallbreaker.

Roundabout

Premise:
The meta begins with 30 Pokemon available to choose from. 6 Pokemon are semi-randomly chosen to be added each week as well as 1 nerf and 1 buff to a currently available Pokemon.
Why: I creates a constantly changing meta game that has something different going on every week.
Example:
*Note: using smaller numbers of pokemon to save space
Week 1:
Pokemon:
Vanilluxe
Darmanitan
Cradily
Zoroark
Salamence
Luxray
Week 2:
Pokemon:
Vanilluxe
Darmanitan
Cradily
Zoroark
Salamence (-20Atk)
Luxray (+20Spe)
+Beheeyem
+Absol
Questions: Has anyone tried to do a meta like this before? How could it be implemented better? Should there be a formula that tries to choose random pokemon with uncommon attributes in the meta? If you want to test the idea we could start a group conversation or something?

Last edited:

Back to back metagame post. Kinda had to make this now since Item Essence is similar and I don't want people thinking that's where I got the idea haha. No offence to Pipotchi :P Anyways, if you like this metagame - drop a like!
Plates and Crystals - PAC

What? The holder's Plate or Z-Crystal gives the holder a second/third type that correlates with the item, as well as granting the holder all moves of that type.

Why? I'll be the first to admit, this was inspired by Stabmons and Hidden type. Hidden Type and Stabmons are two metagames that have always interested me. Their premise is interesting, innovative and simple. However, neither of them are without flaws. Hidden Type is a metagame that's far too passive for most players, matches often take 20-30 minutes and offence is rarely seen. People would use crazy good type combinations like Ghost/Normal and Steel/Flying/Dragon and balance reigned supreme. Stabmons had the opposite problem, it was almost entirely offence. Giving every Pokemon access to high powered stab moves made some crazy wall-breakers, like Boomburst Porygon-Z. Stabmons is too offensive while Hidden type is too passive - but these are fundamental problems with the metagames premise. In short, it's hard to fix. However, this metagame aims to merge them together. With the decreased usage of Life Orb/Choice Band/Choice Specs/Mega Stones defensive cores gain a bit of breathing room in a metagame filled with V-create, Boomburst and Thousand Arrows - hopefully not enough to turn the metagame into a stall fest.

How? Plates and Z-Crystal give the holder a second/third typing that correlates with the Plate or Z-Crystal's type, as well as granting the holder all moves of that type. For example, Tapu Fini with Earth Plate is Water/Fairy/Ground and it can now run Shore up, Earth Power, Spikes etc. Or you can run Ghostium-Z Magearna. It's now Steel/Fairy/Ghost type and has access to Z-Trick-or-Treat which it can use to boost all its stats by one stage and then sweep with Stab Moongeist Beam.

Rules:

Ban List:
OU Ban list
Those who do not naturally learn it cannot use: Shell Smash/Geomancy
  • Mega Metagross is unbanned
Q&A:

What happens if Clefable runs Pixie Plate?
Clefable is still Fairy type but now has access to all fairy moves

What about Normal type? There's no Normal Plate.
You'll have to use Normalium-Z unfortunately

What about Trick-or-Treat/Forest's Curse?
They would replace your opponents third typing.

Can you knock off or otherwise remove the Plate/Crystal?
No, in no way can the item be removed or disabled.

Now for the fun part!

Metagame threats!

magearna.gif
Steel/Fairy/Ghost

Magearna @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Trick-or-Treat
- Moongeist Beam
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

dragonite.gif Dragonite/Flying/Steel
Dragonite @ Steelium Z/Iron Plate
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
- Shift Gear
- Roost

gyarados.gif
Water/Flying/Ground

Gyarados @ Earth Plate
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Shore Up
- Waterfall

mimikyu.gif
Ghost/Fairy/Normal
Mimikyu @ Normalium Z
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough

toxapex-1.gif
Poison/Water/Dark
Toxapex @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Parting Shot
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes

zygarde.gif
Dragon/Ground/Flying
Zygarde @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Ascent
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

If you like this metagame, drop a like to show your interest!

- Grains of Salt

no offense taken ( dont submit 75% of these ideas), but wouldnt that fall into the category of the blacklisted metas of "combining meta X and Y"? perhaps theres a way it can be branched out more to be separate from those two metas.

Typeworker

Here is an idea that in theory could be a better version of the idea above, but I am using this as my own.

Premise: When you hold a plate or Z Crystal, Moves of the corresponding type are boosted in the same way Steelworker boosts Steel moves for Dhelmise. You also get access to one move of that type.

Notes:
If you add a crystal or plate that is one of your own types, you don't get a boost in your attack during. However, you do still get access to one move of that type.

If you for some reason want to have plates function normally, you nickname your Pokémon the type of the plate you are running.

Z Crystals do work like regular. They just have the extra effects that go along with what the plates.

Plate bonuses do not stack with the 50% type bonus given my the plates in this metagame specifically.

Banlist: OU Banlist + Regigigas (Cause Protect)
Geomancy, Shell Smash, Thousand Arrows and Spore banned from being added

(Any ideas for other bans? Things I am considering so far are Magearna and Greninja.)

Threatlist:

Mimikyu @ Flame Plate
Ability: Disguise
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw / Shadow Sneak
- Fire Lash

An upgraded version of its best set, Mimikyu finally has the coverage it has always wanted in Earthquake. Since Shadow Claw / Sneak already deals with Ghost types, it needed Fire Lash to handle them. Fire Lash also is a glorified Work Up as it always lowers the foe's defense. It also removes two of Mimikyu's major issues in Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor.

(I gotta get some sleep. I would like it if other people could suggest good sets. I was considering a Sky Plate Haze set on Magic Guard, but idk if that would be any good. I at least have Mimikyu to show how much this can change things.)

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I'd say Shell Smash should go too. You can just give it to anything relevant and done. (Or if you'd like, you can abuse Swoobat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)